Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Mickey Shunick > Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads

Notices

Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads Prior discussions stored here for reference

Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarRider View Post
I'd like to clear up something from the last thread. A few people were discussing that Brettly Wilson is straight, and not gay, because he had an ex-girlfriend.

We know for a fact that Brettly Wilson dated a woman in the past, but you can't surmise that he's straight based upon that. Wilson stated that he and Mickey have been friends for three or four years, and that they became friends after he broke up with his ex-girlfriend, Mickey's friend.

In this video linked in this post, Brettly states that he and Mickey would jokingly try to see who could pick up guys more quickly. It seems pretty safe to say that Wilson is no longer entirely heterosexual, if he ever was.

Keep in mind that Wilson's breakup with his ex, and his subsequent friendship with Mickey, would have occurred around the time they graduated from high school and moved on to college.

LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #17 - Page 9 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
This is interesting if you can hear him.

Searching for Mickey Shunick: Interview with Brettly Wilson

http://www.theadvertiser.com/videone...Brettly-Wilson
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm just catching up after reading some of the early morning posts, and there was a lot of discussion about LE releasing info to the public about evidence. Usually LE will refrain from revealing some crucial details about evidence to the public. That way, if a POI reveals knowledge about that evidence, it can help to implicate them in the crime. IMO, LE has some evidence that they are holding close to the vest, for that reason. Any forensics they glean from the bike may fall into that category. MOO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jennapuppy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefner View Post
I found it odd that she was not listed on NamUs.
I have been told by other members here that it takes a while to get entered into NamUs. Gavin Smith just got added last week and he had been missing since May 1, so I expect she will be added in the next couple of weeks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Verified registered nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruthWillOut View Post
Is it confirmed that LE checked for footage for Mickey's whole assumed and alternate routes?

I guess they have.........but still.
Hopefully the PI will make his way along Johnston to check with businesses on any video that may exist. The DUI check is a whole new ball game as I see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Isabelle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Not to criticize any posters or posts, but I don't believe gender preference/selection should be an element of this missing person case. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen730 View Post
This is interesting if you can hear him.

Searching for Mickey Shunick: Interview with Brettly Wilson

http://www.theadvertiser.com/videone...Brettly-Wilson
Yes, this is the video I mentioned. Thank you for linking directly- I've used up my allotment for accessing articles from the Lafayette Advertiser without a subscription.

If I recall correctly, Wilson discusses his ex and orientation from about the 3-5 minute marks.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Emú farm owner extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayw View Post
Good question. I don't even know where any are. There is a huge lot full of "stuff" near hubby's work, but I don't know if it's considered a landfill.
There's a dump/beginning landfill in Welsh, but that's in the other direction.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
Not to criticize any posters or posts, but I don't believe gender preference/selection should be an element of this missing person case. Thanks.
I agree with you, and that's why I'm hoping the video will put a stop to any speculation that Wilson carried a torch or felt unrequited love for Mickey Shunick.

That seems to be the default assumption for many missing persons cases, but there's absolutely no evidence that it applies here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StreetcarRider For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
I want to KNOW, why is Mickey Shunick not on any missing persons LE sites in Lafayette, LA? I want an explanation, pronto. Who is in charge of doing this?

For Mamamia... this is the only reference to the case I could find on the site you referred to in the previous thread.

http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Pr...asp?PR_Id=4677

You may also notice on the page in your previous link that right below the list of Endangered Runaways is a list of state college crime rates. Oddly enough University of Louisiana at Lafayette is not on that list either. There is possibly a very simple reason for this: according to several officers that have recently brought allegations against the dept and the city government, crime statistics have been altered to make the rates look lower. I'm not claiming to know whether or not that is true but KATC.com has covered it http://www.katc.com/search/?sterm=re...der&sbutton=Go. This, btw is not the only case with heavy allegations agaist the police dept, and not for just tampering with statistics. To my knowledge nothing else has been covered by the media, but it is all a matter of public record.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to perpetual curiosity For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The security video was from inside a "structure" (business or house IMO) and caught a bit of the street OUTSIDE.

During the first week of the disappearance LPD Chief Craft was interviewed on "Mornings With Ken & Bernie" and was asked about a video that was located showing *someone* on a bicycle between the hours of 1:30am and 3:30am on May 19. (The video was also mentioned in the first Nancy Grace coverage.)

Chief Craft: “It’s very, very blurry. It’s video FROM inside a structure… so it’s very hard to see… because… the purpose of the video is to video inside the structure, not outside, … so it just so happened that you can sort of see the street. And it’s dark, and so you can’t make anything out.”

http://talkradio960.com/police-chief...hunick-search/

This may not be be Mickey, but is does tell me that LE are looking over all known videos with a fine tooth comb.
What if it is Mickey? And what if it's from closer to 3:30am?

What if she did stop somewhere in the area of Landry for an hour or more, then headed home closer to 3:30? What if something happened to her after 3:30? Or, what if that's somebody else on HER bike at 3:30ish?

I'm sure LE is looking into that. I wish we knew where that inside camera was.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to paris_paris For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM

I have been following from day one and I feel like I know less now that I did then sometimes. Anyways, refresh my memory: how do we know that Mickey didn't travel farther and was snatched closer to her home? Because she doesn't show up on cameras?
It seems like there are a lot of streets she could have taken to get back to her neighborhood that wouldn't have had cameras. TIA
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarRider View Post
Yes, this is the video I mentioned. Thank you for linking directly- I've used up my allotment for accessing articles from the Lafayette Advertiser without a subscription.

If I recall correctly, Wilson discusses his ex and orientation from about the 3-5 minute marks.
LOL yes im using up my time too!
He discuss alot! she has 2 horses all her animals he cries when she askes him why he let her go alone...he get mad saying the streets should be safe.
Dang when will these young adults realize there is only safety in numbers!
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And i do not think they had any kind of relationship but friendship but i do think he says his ex and Mickey were not getting along ill have to listen again its very hard to hear!

Oh and i do believe he does say his orientation!

But then again he has had GF's so
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
chien méchant

97° the predicted high for today in Lafayette. Quite hot for searching. Nevertheless: let this be the day.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post
I have been following from day one and I feel like I know less now that I did then sometimes. Anyways, refresh my memory: how do we know that Mickey didn't travel farther and was snatched closer to her home? Because she doesn't show up on cameras?
It seems like there are a lot of streets she could have taken to get back to her neighborhood that wouldn't have had cameras. TIA
Me, too.
I wish we knew more.
Where are you, Mickey? Praying for a break in this case....even something small will do for a bit- her purse, her ID, her wallet, etc. Something to lead us a little closer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamena View Post
That's another place that needs to be searched. If all else fails, search the landfill.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mamamia54 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Justice for Hailey

Yes, it seems that Brettly's only involvement in this case is that he is Mickey's close friend and that he has the misfortune of being the last person to have seen her alive. Well, other than the true LAST person who saw her alive.

JMO
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Why have they not taken a dog out to follow her trail?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eileen730 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
LOL yes im using up my time too!
He discuss alot! she has 2 horses all her animals he cries when she askes him why he let her go alone...he get mad saying the streets should be safe.
Dang when will these young adults realize there is only safety in numbers!
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And i do not think they had any kind of relationship but friendship but i do think he says his ex and Mickey were not getting along ill have to listen again its very hard to hear!

Oh and i do believe he does say his orientation!

But then again he has had GF's so
Being in a group doesn't ensure safety. The same night, a group of ppl were robbed downtown.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nerdita For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Justice for Hailey

Quote:
We don't know that they haven't. The FBI has been there since the beginning. I think it would be SOP for them to bring out dogs of varying types.

JMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I'm sure I've read here and other places that dogs were used.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
They did!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Just a person

Quote:
Agree. If it's a jealousy angle, that's not gender-specific.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence ~ Hitchens
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JurysOut For This Useful Post:
Private Investigator

Quote:
Hopefully the PI will make his way along Johnston to check with businesses on any video that may exist. The DUI check is a whole new ball game as I see it.
I assure you LPD, FBI, TES, Myself, and the PI hired by the family have checked on cameras all along her presumed routes, in the surrounding neighborhoods, and up and down Johnston St. All cameras are being looked into by a multitude of people

Edit: There aren't as many cameras (and a lot are not functioning...just there to scare people) on businesses and homes as you would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamena View Post
Where would all the garbage pick up in Lafayette go?
The Following User Says Thank You to Isabelle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdita View Post
Being in a group doesn't ensure safety. The same night, a group of ppl were robbed downtown.
But they are not MISSING!
Do u really think if she were with others someone would have taken her off the street?

No way!