Date of Birth 6 March 1941, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Date of Death 28 November 1963, West Hollywood, California, USA (homicide)
Birth Name Roberta Lynn Kupcinet
Alternate Names: Tammy Windsor
Height5' 1" (1.55 m)
Daughter of Irv Kupcinet Sister of Jerry Kupcinet
Karyn Kupcinet was murdered on Thanksgiving Day, 1963. The crime has never been solved.
The apartment where she died is located at 1227 1/2 Sweetzer in West Hollywood, not far from where Dorothy Dandridge died a few years later.
Born Roberta Kupcinet, she did not change her first name to Karyn until she was 20 years old.In 1971, Irv and Essee Kupcinet founded the Karyn Kupcinet International School for Science as part of the Weizmann Institute of Science in their daughter's memory.
Strangled in her own apartment, her father, Chicago columnist Irv Kupcinet believed he knew who killed her but could never prove it. Speculation had it even linked to the JFK assassination, which occurred six days earlier. Irv Kupcinet called such speculation "an atrocious outrage." He said neither he nor his daughter held any secrets about the assassination.
Was romantically involved with actor Andrew Prine at the time of her death. He was among a number of people, including two other actors, questioned and released.
Her last onscreen appearance was in an episode of Perry Mason entitled, "The Case of the Capering Camera". The episode aired on January 16, 1964, about two months after her still-unsolved murder.
Starred as teacher Annie Sullivan in a Laguna Beach summer theater production of "The Miracle Worker".
Once used the name "Tammy Windsor" professionally for a short period of time. Changed her name to "Karyn Kupcinet" after appearing as one of the dozens of boarding girls in the Jerry Lewis comedy The Ladies Man (1961).
Attended Pine Manor College in Wellesley for a semester, then went to study acting at the Actor's Studio with Lee Strasberg in New York.
Made her acting debut at age 13 in a Chicago production of "Anniversary Waltz.".
On the last day of her life, Kupcinet had dinner with "Lost In Space" co-star Mark Goddard and his wife.
Was found strangled in her Hollywood apartment. Her father, Chicago columnist Irv Kupcinet, believed he knew who did it but could never prove it. Speculation had it even linked to the JFK assassination. Mr. Kupcinet called such speculation "an atrocious outrage." He said his daughter didn't know the assassin(s). He said nobody ever told him to back off from investigating the assassination, and his daughter's killer was not part of any plans to silence a journalist.
Visited President Harry S. Truman in the White House as a child, accompanied by her parents and brother.
TV and Movie Filmography
As an Actress:
Title Year Role
"Perry Mason" .... Penny Ames (1 episode, 1964)
- The Case of the Capering Camera (1964) TV episode .... Penny Ames
"Going My Way" .... Amy (1 episode, 1963)
- Has Anyone Seen Eddie? (1963) TV episode .... Amy
"The Wide Country" .... Barbara Rice (1 episode, 1963)
- A Cry from the Mountain (1963) TV episode .... Barbara Rice
"G.E. True" .... Marybelle (1 episode, 1962)
- The Handmade Private (1962) TV episode .... Marybelle
"The Red Skelton Show" .... Janet - Secretary (1 episode, 1962)
... aka The Red Skelton Hour (USA: new title)
- How to Fail in Business Without Really Trying or How to Use the Name of a Hit Broadway Musical Without Getting Sued (1962) TV episode .... Janet - Secretary
"The Gertrude Berg Show" .... Carol (3 episodes, 1961-1962)
... aka Mrs. G Goes to College
- Curfew Shall Not Ring Tonight (1962) TV episode .... Carol
- High Finance (1962) TV episode .... Carol
- Romance for Maxie (1961) TV episode .... Carol
"Hawaiian Eye" .... Clerk / ... (5 episodes, 1960-1961)
- The Queen from Kern County (1961) TV episode .... Terry Crane
- It Ain't Cricket (1961) TV episode .... Maila
- Her Father's House (1961) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Receptionist
- Made in Japan (1961) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Melanie
- Sea Fire (1960) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Clerk
The Ladies Man (1961) .... Working Girl
"Lock Up" .... Wanda Mather (1 episode, 1961)
- Leading Young Citizen (1961) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Wanda Mather
"General Electric Theater" .... Maid (1 episode, 1961)
... aka G.E. Theater (USA: informal short title)
... aka G.E. True Theater (USA: new title)
- The Legend That Walks Like a Man (1961) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Maid
"Wagon Train" .... Brown Robin (1 episode, 1961)
... aka Major Adams, Trail Master
- The Patience Miller Story (1961) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Brown Robin
"The Andy Griffith Show" .... Hannah Carter (1 episode, 1960)
... aka Andy of Mayberry (USA: rerun title)
- A Feud Is a Feud (1960) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Hannah Carter
The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (as Tammy Windsor) .... Teenage Girl
"The Betty Hutton Show" .... Doris (1 episode, 1960)
- Goldie Meets Mike (1960) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Doris
This Earth Is Mine (1959) (uncredited) .... Clarissa Smith
The Wild and the Innocent (1959) (as Tammy Windsor) .... Townswoman
"U.S. Marshal" .... Ruthie (1 episode)
- Good Indian (????) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor) .... Ruthie
"Sheriff of Cochise" (1 episode, 1957)
- Good Indian (1957) TV episode (as Tammy Windsor)
"The Bob Hope Show" .... Herself (1 episode, 1963)
- Episode dated 13 March 1963 (1963) TV episode .... Herself
Link to Karyn Kupcinet: