Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located Forum Discussion

Notices

Located Forum Discussion Discussion for those who were missing and are now located

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz b. View Post
Wonder why the two girls don't live with their parents ?
I haven't seen any indication that they don't live with their parents but perhaps they stay with Grandma or she babysits them during the summer break when they are off school and the parents are working?

MOO
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM

It is such a shame that 2 children can't go out and ride bikes but the truth is they can't. We live in a world where nobody is safe from old to young with the young being the very most vulnerable.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
I haven't seen any indication that they don't live with their parents but perhaps they stay with Grandma or she babysits them during the summer break when they are off school and the parents are working?

MOO
Kamille, Yes, that's what I thought, that this was a summer arrangement... so, was this a chance encounter abduction,or had someone maybe been watching them for a while ?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM

This sure doesn't look good. I hope that family or police are scouring the girl's facebook contacts, emails and phone contacts to find out if there was an arrangement to meet someone that claimed to be a 12 or 14 year old boy, or maybe just a discussion about what plans they had that day.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Does anyone know the exact location the bikes were found? Could they have been dumped there? How long was the journey from the grandmother's house to there?
How close to water were the bikes? Even if they went for a swim WHY would the purse with the phone (a precious item for young girls) be ON THE OTHER SIDE of the fence?
Can they swim? Do they have a place to go swimming?
This is unlikely behaviour for the girls- I have horrible memory of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman- 2 young girls go missing in a small town on the way to the shop. I hope to God that's not the case here but I'd get that amber alert out and NOW.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Foxymona For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxymona View Post
Does anyone know the exact location the bikes were found? Could they have been dumped there? How long was the journey from the grandmother's house to there?
How close to water were the bikes? Even if they went for a swim WHY would the purse with the phone (a precious item for young girls) be ON THE OTHER SIDE of the fence?
This is unlikely behaviour for the girls- I have horrible memory of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman- 2 young girls go missing in a small town on the way to the shop. I hope to God that's not the case here but I'd get that amber alert out and NOW.
SE corner of Meyers Lake

map link that Gracelin posted upthread:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

I don't think the criteria for an Amber Alert are met:

1. Law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted and entry has been made into the IOWA/NCIC Systems identifying the child as missing.
2. The child is under the age of 18.
3. Law enforcement believes the circumstances surrounding the abduction indicate that the child is in danger of serious bodily harm or death.
4. There is enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect's vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help

http://www.iowaamberalert.org/Criteria/index.html
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
This sure doesn't look good. I hope that family or police are scouring the girl's facebook contacts, emails and phone contacts to find out if there was an arrangement to meet someone that claimed to be a 12 or 14 year old boy, or maybe just a discussion about what plans they had that day.
I was thinking the same thing otto. Let's hope that cellphone gives some clues as to what the girls were doing or what they were planning on doing so far from home near that lake.

MOO
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM

Here are two different pictures of the girls that have been released. They look quite different - IMO - than they do in the first pictures that the media had. I have no idea which are more recent. Sorry that I don't know how to enlarge them. If the photo on Lyric's FB page is her, her hair is darker in that one as well. Elizabeth is on the left and Lyric is on the right.

19023342_BG2.jpg

photo from:

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/e...-missing-girls
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:42 PM

lots of articles listing lyric cook as 11-yrs old. this article posted at 1pm lists her as 10-yrs old.

edit: article lists lyric cook's mom as Misty Cook Morrissey

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/upd...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by jadejazzkayla; 07-14-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added info
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jadejazzkayla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz b. View Post
Wonder why the two girls don't live with their parents ?
I believe grandma was the summer babysitter.

Quote:
South east corner of the lake. The only part of the lake really that has some dense trees. It's not a very large are of wooded are but it would be the only place you can to see down into from the highway. There isn't swimming at the lake. They haven't fond the one girls sneakers wich you would think she would have Aiken off if they were going in the water. It could be possible to dump the bikes there, from the neighborhood on that side of the lake, its more wooded and not too far from the road.

At this point there is no amber alert as there's no vehicle or suspect. They're still calling it a missing persons case and said they are not ready yet to call it an abduction though now the parents believe the girls were taken.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nikkiw319 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Photos of the lake:

5000b6dcc9404_image.jpg 5000b6d0eda3a_image.jpg

Other photos of search parties here as well:

http://wcfcourier.com/photos-search-...=image&photo=1
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM

If anyone knows how to set up a thread in the basement, I'm listening to the "chatter" now and will be happy to monitor and post as I have the time.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM

Best to check with a mod before you open it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks ~Nikki
Very informative- thank you. So it is fair to say that it is unlikely they went there to swim? How is the access to the water and how deep is the water? Could one of the girls have fallen in and the other gone to assist? IMO I don't think this is what happened but I'm trying to through all possible scenarios...

Worst case if they were abducted as I believe possible by the purse being found on the other side of the fence which doesn't make sense- are the trees dense enough to hide somebody watching? Is the trail busy at that time of the day? Why would they be there in the first place?
Could the bikes have been thrown from the highway? And the purse landing on the near side of the fence? Why abduct two girls and their bikes though?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Foxymona For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering View Post
If anyone knows how to set up a thread in the basement, I'm listening to the "chatter" now and will be happy to monitor and post as I have the time.
Go to this link:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Click on NEW THREAD in the upperish left side of the screen, give it a title, add a comment and it should work. If not, let me know and I'll help ...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracelin View Post
Best to check with a mod before you open it.
Well, like I said, I don't know how to go about it so if anyone does know and thinks there is an interest, let me know if it's set up.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Considering For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 PM

For what its worth, there are now entries for the missing girls in this forum: http://www.iowaonline.state.ia.us/mp...=Most%20Recent
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CoachSue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 PM

To start a new thread simply click on the 'new thread' button (you may need the right permissions to do this).
Bottom left ;
Thanks for thinking of the scanner thread. It's a good idea.
radioreference.com black hawk county
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gracelin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinekenMan View Post
The interstate and the Mississippi River are so close by. It looks like they could have crossed under the interstate to get to the river side of the highway. So I doubt they would park their bikes by the fence on the north side of the road if they wanted to go check out the river on the south side.
SBM & BBM

Surely you mean the Cedar River? The Mississippi River is a good 90 miles away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiw319 View Post
The interstate is under heavy construction and down to two lanes on the north side, one going each direction. At times during the day traffic flows at the posted 55 and at other times moves about 5. Around that time, I would assume traffic would be at about 35 to 45. The fence is pretty tall, taller than an adult. It would be hard to get a vehicle back there without being noticed but probably not impossible. Their bikes were found right where the fence is on both sides to prevent you from getting into an area of the lake where there's some drainage stuff or something. It's not wide enough for a Vehicle to get through but it's also not very long until your past the fence on the lake side. Maybe 20 feet.
SBM & BBM

In Iowa, fences along the interstates are all 8 feet tall to prevent deer from attempting to cross the interstates. Every now and then a deer gets onto the interstate but for the most part, the fences keep them out.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrainneDhu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Here's a link to an update on the case, as of about 10 minutes ago:

Nothing new reported at today's news conference; another one scheduled for 5pm today.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CoachSue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Justice for Hailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSue View Post
For what its worth, there are now entries for the missing girls in this forum: http://www.iowaonline.state.ia.us/mp...=Most%20Recent
Welcome to WS, CoachSue!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks ~Nikki
Very informative- thank you. So it is fair to say that it is unlikely they went there to swim? How is the access to the water and how deep is the water? Could one of the girls have fallen in and the other gone to assist? IMO I don't think this is what happened but I'm trying to through all possible scenarios...

Worst case if they were abducted as I believe possible by the purse being found on the other side of the fence which doesn't make sense- are the trees dense enough to hide somebody watching? Is the trail busy at that time of the day? Why would they be there in the first place?
Could the bikes have been thrown from the highway? And the purse landing on the near side of the fence? Why abduct two girls and their bikes though?
I would say its unlikely they went in to swim. You can very easily access the water but I'm unsure how deep it is. They had divers out again all day today and haent found anything.

Thy would be dense enough to hide but not much beyond that. Im sure it was less busy since it was during the work day but I imagine there were still people out there. If they parted ways where the bikes were found, they were probably just riding around the trail around the lake. I don't think the bikes could have been thrown from the road. The wooded area starts right before where the bikes were found is my understanding.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nikkiw319 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM

I hope this guy has been checked out...

http://www.iowasexoffender.com/regis...&mapformat=Map Results

The girls would have had to ride pretty close to his last known residence if they took that nature trail all the way down to the lake.

MOO
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM

I hope that LE will be able to search the residences near the lake. Is the FBI helping the local LE ? This seems crazy. How do two little girls out for a bikeride on a summer's day vanish in broad daylight ? I am trying to piece together some kind of timeline. I wonder who was the last person to have seen them that morning ?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to liz b. For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread