Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Websleuth's Resource Center > General Information & Discussion

Notices

General Information & Discussion Discussion about all kinds of crime solving tools, organizations, and more!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM

Thumbs down Investigation Discovery's "Disappeared" Cancelled

I honestly can't believe it. What happened? Low ratings? It's the best show they had.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to tbgo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 PM
WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 PM

wow im shocked it was a personal favourite of mine. i have seen every single episode what a joke now we will never get details on what happend to some of these missing persons cases .You cant rely on JVM or NG all they wanna do is save turkeys or talk about george zimmerman.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 PM
absit invidia

It was probably " too real" for their core viewers

Investigation Discovery started out with very good, high quality programming. " Disappeared" helped spread the word about missing people.

Then, I watched the channel sink into cheap re-creations of sexually motivated crimes, and crimes of passion became their focus.
I used to watch it faithfully. Now, I refuse to watch at all because of the sexed up aspect to crimes! It is WRONG to re-victimize a crime victim.
I am " Social Media" phobic BY CHOICE. I do not read personal blogs, I do not have, nor will I follow, any Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MySpace accounts or any other like network. I do NOT Google or otherwise seek info regarding people related to victims. I do not STALK families of victims, so don't tell me to "Google" a blog or another site.
UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 11:35 PM

I'm really Disappointed! One of my favorite shows.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to margarita25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJana View Post
Investigation Discovery started out with very good, high quality programming. " Disappeared" helped spread the word about missing people.

Then, I watched the channel sink into cheap re-creations of sexually motivated crimes, and crimes of passion became their focus.
I used to watch it faithfully. Now, I refuse to watch at all because of the sexed up aspect to crimes! It is WRONG to re-victimize a crime victim.
That's so not true ..As far as the channel ID yes they have changed to alot of stories that come across that way but not at all the show Disappeared .That show was very good the channel alot has changed but we need Disappeared..
Old 12-02-2013, 04:27 AM

I became aware of so many cases thanks to that show it's not even funny.

I first learned of the McStays and the Jamisons thanks to it.

Is there anyone from ID on here that could give us some sort of explanation as to what happened? I know some of the networks check in for stories.

I think every season of "Disappeared" is on Netflix now. I still go back and watch them.

Speaking of ID shows, now we have "Elder Skelter," a show about old people who kill. :/
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tbgo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 AM

In case ID does read here, I gave up the ID channel months ago. The poorly-put-together shows are produced with every gimmick in the book. I detest watching true crime that resorts to gimmicks -- jerky frame-to-frame transitions, flashing lights that give me a headache or worse, speed-walking frames, noisy racket beating and banging for background music, breathy teen-age girls who try to sound sexy but instead just sound stupid.

I used to love ID (before it was ID). They put together good true crime shows worth watching. True crime is not the place for gimmicks.

Off my soapbox and back to the regularly scheduled thread.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BOESP For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Question Excuse me, but.....

Forgive me for asking, but where has it been confirmed that Disappeared was cancelled? I've looked around myself, and I was unable to see any source stating that the show was cancelled. What kind of makes me wonder or think otherwise, is that you take two cancelled ID shows, Main Street Mysteries and Sensing Murder. These shows are rarely seen on ID nor are they advertised on the ID website, even though they were both cancelled. Disappeared is on ID 5 days a week, 2 times a day on ID and 1 time a day on Discovery Channel. Generally, with a season premiere in the works, they tend to show re-runs of the show as a build up to a season premiere. Even if that wasn't the case, why are they running all these re-runs of Disappeared.

For me, what's really sad if this show was actually cancelled, is that this show is one of the very few shows these days that actually help people. I love true crime shows and all, but I make no mistake about what's going on. These shows generally exploit people's sad stories for ratings. BUT, I'm not saying that there isn't a lot to be learned from these shows. We learn a lot from them, but gone are the days of UNSOLVED Mysteries and America's Most WANTED. Shows that actually help to solve a mystery or bring criminals to justice. Disappeared tried to help do the same. It's just sad that ratings are the overall goal instead of helping people. I will say this...from what I can see, Disappeared's ratings weren't exactly....bottom of the barrel.

http://www.tabithatuders.net

http://americasunknownchild.net/

So where is Ashley Nicole Summers?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to los2188 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 PM

This is crazy, it was one of the best on that channel and so much information to be let out on some cases...I'm with others, some of those stories are so fake, I will turn the channel but I was glued to the TV when Disappeared came on and I love Dark Minds with William Phelps and John Q......those 2 were my very favorites....Are we living in such a society today that shows that really get down to true facts, they are going to do away with??? I feel the exact opposite....We need more shows such as Disappeared....much more crime, yet just another resource to look to for information down the drain apparently
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digndoodle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM

I watch the crime shows, but what I am really going to miss is the court programming. I have high speed internet and can watch streaming on my computer, but it's not the same as a big screen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UdbCrzy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 PM

I used to watch ID religiously, but their programming has gone downhill fast, IMO. "Disappeared" was my favorite show. New seasons typically started in the fall, so I was suspicious when there were no promos for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JaimeSommers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Disappeared was am excellent show that was balanced. I am sorry to see it go.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM

I came across 'Disappeared' on youtube - and ended up watching every episode.
I wouldn't have half an idea of some of the U.S threads here if it wasn't for that show.

Lets hope another production company snatches the ball then and comes up with a better informative show on the Missing and does follow-ups as well.

The Missing need a voice still.

Eeva Dorendahl & Greg Hutchings:
Missing/Found: Potsville Jan 2014 Discussion Thread #1 #2 #3
Eeva Dorendahl & Greg Hutchings: Main Stream Media Links & Timelines
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FigTree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Hmmm....I ask again, where's the source that says Disappeared has been cancelled?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to los2188 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 PM

I don't watch tv, but watch all the Disappeared shows that are on Netflix. I think it's a great show. I really like the narrator also.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to montana_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Websleuth Member

Disappeared was the only show ID had that was worth watching. Ugh.

Most everything on there now is junk. They have lost a follower.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

I'm still trying to figure out where the source comes from that it is cancelled. Not that I'm implying that anyone is making anything up, and I know it's been a LONG time since they've had any new episodes, but I've been looking for quite a while trying to figure out if the show has indeed been cancelled. I have yet to find any source that it has been cancelled. It's still advertised on the ID website, not to mention that it's still being rerun on an almost daily basis on the ID channel, not to mention that it's still on their YouTube channel on a pay-per-view basis. I mean I know we all hope it's not cancelled, but again, I have yet to see one single source stating that it is cancelled. Arrgggg! Can anyone tell me??

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to los2188 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los2188 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out where the source comes from that it is cancelled. Not that I'm implying that anyone is making anything up, and I know it's been a LONG time since they've had any new episodes, but I've been looking for quite a while trying to figure out if the show has indeed been cancelled. I have yet to find any source that it has been cancelled. It's still advertised on the ID website, not to mention that it's still being rerun on an almost daily basis on the ID channel, not to mention that it's still on their YouTube channel on a pay-per-view basis. I mean I know we all hope it's not cancelled, but again, I have yet to see one single source stating that it is cancelled. Arrgggg! Can anyone tell me??
I saw a couple of message board comments, but nothing "official" or a news story.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 AM

Understood. Thanks for replying.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to los2188 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM

I think the rumor started because ID issued out a press release for the upcoming season, and Disappeared was not listed as one of the returning shows.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM

I hope they bring Dissappeared back. It was the only show worth watching on the ID channel. If not on ID, I hope another network takes it over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margol29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

While I liked these shows, never fear, they will continue just under different names.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 AM
absit invidia

I would like to think that programs which spotlight the missing will be continued under other names as the last poster suggests, but we had Unsolved Mysteries, which was a huge hit for many years. Gone.

We had AMW, which was a huge service to the public and LE, and as far as I know, it's gone, at least from my 800+ cable channel line up.

Then, we had a one hour per week new segment out of a 24 hour cable network, I.D., which broadcast the aforementioned " Disappeared". Just one hour a week out of their large programming schedule, now seemingly stopped production of new episodes. I think money was the deciding factor. The shows featured the actual locations, witnesses, LE, and family members when possible. I think it must have cost a lot to produce. MOST of their other programming relies heavily on recreations and their paid commentators.

When looking at the histories of shows which really DID make a difference, it seems to me that the majority of the public had rather just be " entertained" now.

I don't think WS'ers fall into that category, but I think most of our society does.
I am " Social Media" phobic BY CHOICE. I do not read personal blogs, I do not have, nor will I follow, any Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MySpace accounts or any other like network. I do NOT Google or otherwise seek info regarding people related to victims. I do not STALK families of victims, so don't tell me to "Google" a blog or another site.
UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeekingJana For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 01:16 PM

I found this thread in a web search, as I was browsing Netflix and found that they finally semi-updated the Disappeared episode listing. I agree very much with all of you. I'm saddened by the cancellation as my interest in missing persons cases and work in general was sparked by this television show. Sad to see the only show worth watching on ID go...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Journey4Justice For This Useful Post: