Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Forum Information & Esoterica > Forum Finesse

Notices

Forum Finesse Technical tips, tutorials and troubleshooting for those days when the inability to login or add an image to your signature leaves you frustrated.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
christine2448's Avatar
christine2448 christine2448 is offline
Retired WS Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10,537
How do you add Avatar?

How do you add an avatar?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Casshew Casshew is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In heels
Posts: 28,017
Hi Christine... Elf did a tutorial for us at this link

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15179
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
christine2448's Avatar
christine2448 christine2448 is offline
Retired WS Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshew
Hi Christine... Elf did a tutorial for us at this link

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15179
Thanks Casshew, but that's adding a pic to the signature, I couldn't find how to add an avatar, or did I just overlook that part.

An avatar is different than signature pic. The avatar actually goes with your user name at the top, maybe not possible on here, but would think since the option is here.

Under User CP, it says Edit Avatar, I can't figure out how to add one/edit. It is checked off right now "do not use avatar" ?

I have my own avatar I can upload and also have an avatar sizer (because unlike siggy pics they have to be a certain size on most sites).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Casshew Casshew is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In heels
Posts: 28,017
Christine... we don't have avatars here at WS - thats why the 'edit your avatar' thingy doesn't work

We can have photos in your signatures though, and that is what like I posted about.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
christine2448's Avatar
christine2448 christine2448 is offline
Retired WS Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshew
Christine... we don't have avatars here at WS - thats why the 'edit your avatar' thingy doesn't work

We can have photos in your signatures though, and that is what like I posted about.
Thanks Casshew! Now I get it! That's why it doesn't work hehehehe, now I don't feel like such a dingy!

Okie dokie! By the way...I like your pic in your signature, it's funny
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Sugargurl Sugargurl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5
Testing.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2005, 08:03 AM
VespaElf's Avatar
VespaElf VespaElf is offline
Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,393
When I click on the link for Elf's instructions nothing pops up!
Someone care to review????????
__________________
The saints are the sinners who keep trying...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2005, 08:35 AM
MlazyV MlazyV is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: my heart's in Montana
Posts: 150
testing 1 2 3
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 AM
MlazyV MlazyV is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: my heart's in Montana
Posts: 150
hope this helps

You have to have a picture stored on line with it's url for this to work. On the top menu bar click on user CP (control panel) and then click on edit signature. Now comes the tricky part. A blank canvas so speak appears where you can add text or go fancy and link to an image. I did mine with code but there is an automatic image adding button too. A window pops up with space for you add the url that links to your image.

good luck

one more thing, you want to make sure the option to show images is selected under edit options in the control panel or they won't show.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
mic730 mic730 is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,320
Just followed the tutorial - it was great and now posting to test


I get the link to my image but now the image itslef. Too big maybe?

Last edited by mic730; 07-18-2005 at 09:07 PM. Reason: question
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Izzy Mae Izzy Mae is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic730
Just followed the tutorial - it was great and now posting to test


I get the link to my image but now the image itslef. Too big maybe?
hey mic730.
you're right that's pretty big, rofl - but the size
isn't the problem... what's blocking the pic from
showing up, is your address. your using the wrong one.
this is what I did:
I clicked on the link you provided -->a new window
opened with your pic -->scroll down to the botttom
of the pic. you'll see a blue hyper-link that says
"5f97cda5.jpg" -->click link -->pic. will open in new
window---> use that address from that window
--> see pic below: (as if you CAN't, LOL)

I take that back, the size IS a problem.
As a matter of fact, this happened to me
yesterday. I posted a photo on a thread, it
was so large it blew out the borders, like
yours is doing. so, if there is anyway you can
resize the pic. smaller, it will work. hope this helps

BTW/ I put your pic up as an example --
if I forget to come back, (probably won't, but just in
case) let me know, I don't want anyone to get mad
since it messes up the borders.
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
mic730 mic730 is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,320
Thanks Izzy!
I will resize the pic and do what you suggested.
I appreciate the kind help.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Hopeful Hopeful is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Help Someone!
I have resized my picture in the signature, but when I preview it, it still shows up pretty big. I'm pretty new at this and not sure how else to do it. Can anyone help me?
__________________


Have respect for differing opinions.
After all, we're equally entitled to our .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Casshew Casshew is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In heels
Posts: 28,017
Hi Hopeful, your pic is not too big IMO... I could make it smaller for you if you like.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Hopeful Hopeful is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Hi Casshew! Nice to finally say a real "Hello" to you here at Websleuths
That would be great if you could adjust the size. What do you need me
to do?
__________________


Have respect for differing opinions.
After all, we're equally entitled to our .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Casshew Casshew is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In heels
Posts: 28,017


is this okay? if so just save it to your computer and host it where ever you like
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Hopeful Hopeful is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Awwee..Thanks a bunch Casshew
Let's hope it works...LOL!
__________________


Have respect for differing opinions.
After all, we're equally entitled to our .
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
lilpony's Avatar
lilpony lilpony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,451
Cass....I just subscribed to Photoshop, for the pictures. What I am confused about is...when I put the pictures is photoshop, how do I know what size the pictures are going to come out, once I put them on my signature? Confused about that. Where does it tell me what size picture will be. How do I get right size for here? I don't want the picture to be huge...lol,, want to try to do it right the first time. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Casshew Casshew is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In heels
Posts: 28,017
lilpony... to be honest I am not sure.. I used AdobePhotoshop, and what ever size I make the pic... comes out that size on my siggy. I am not sure why for some people their pics show up bigger

You have to play around with it and experiment
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Jovin's Avatar
Jovin Jovin is offline
I love Elvis!
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Niagara Falls Canada
Posts: 6,250
You know what I do, Lilpony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpony
Cass....I just subscribed to Photoshop, for the pictures. What I am confused about is...when I put the pictures is photoshop, how do I know what size the pictures are going to come out, once I put them on my signature? Confused about that. Where does it tell me what size picture will be. How do I get right size for here? I don't want the picture to be huge...lol,, want to try to do it right the first time. Thanks for your help
And I'm sure it's the backwards way of doing things, but it works for me. After I host it on Photobucket, I then just open a new message in my Outlook Express, and then just insert the image there. (if you don't know how to do this, pm me.)

Then if it's too big, you can go back to the image on Photobucket and you'll see where you can edit it. It gives you the option of making it 75% or 50% or 25% of the original size. The only thing is, you have to start with the larger one to try it, because if you make it too small, you won't be able to change it back to the original size.

Good luck.
Jovin
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 PM
lilpony's Avatar
lilpony lilpony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin
And I'm sure it's the backwards way of doing things, but it works for me. After I host it on Photobucket, I then just open a new message in my Outlook Express, and then just insert the image there. (if you don't know how to do this, pm me.)

Then if it's too big, you can go back to the image on Photobucket and you'll see where you can edit it. It gives you the option of making it 75% or 50% or 25% of the original size. The only thing is, you have to start with the larger one to try it, because if you make it too small, you won't be able to change it back to the original size.

Good luck.
Jovin
Jovin, I put the pictures in photobucket, I reduced them to 25%. Then I came here and put it in signature, I did the sample option first. But, the picture was still huge. I don't get, I am confused now. It seems the 25% wasn't small enough.... I also tried shrinking the photos on adobe and microsoft picture it, to no avail. I am about to toss the computer through the wall. I hate it when I can't figure things out...
Thanks for everyones help though....I may try again.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Jovin's Avatar
Jovin Jovin is offline
I love Elvis!
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Niagara Falls Canada
Posts: 6,250
Hi lilpony....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpony
Jovin, I put the pictures in photobucket, I reduced them to 25%. Then I came here and put it in signature, I did the sample option first. But, the picture was still huge. I don't get, I am confused now. It seems the 25% wasn't small enough.... I also tried shrinking the photos on adobe and microsoft picture it, to no avail. I am about to toss the computer through the wall. I hate it when I can't figure things out...
Thanks for everyones help though....I may try again.
You know what? I'm really not sure what the problem is, but I know Cass is really good with stuff like this. I'm not. So I hope maybe she can help you out, or someone else. I'm not very good at explaining things, I know.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Casshew Casshew is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In heels
Posts: 28,017
I really don't get why it appears larger

Jovin, this happened a while ago - Remember Jilly's cats I sized down for you because they kept showing too big? It is strange.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-06-2005, 12:32 AM
lilpony's Avatar
lilpony lilpony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovin
You know what? I'm really not sure what the problem is, but I know Cass is really good with stuff like this. I'm not. So I hope maybe she can help you out, or someone else. I'm not very good at explaining things, I know.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thanks Jovin...I will fiddle with it this weekend again. Its strange because, I shrunk one picture on Adobe. Of course when it shrunk the picture it cut some pieces off the bodies, which is ok. But then I put it in photobucket. Then went here and put it in signature, and did a sample viewing. It showed the picture before it was sized down... Couldn't figure it out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!