Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials > Janet Christiansen Abaroa, Durham, NC

Notices

Janet Christiansen Abaroa, Durham, NC On April 26th Janet Abaroa, a new mother, was brutally stabbed in her Durham, NC home while her baby lay safely in his crib. Police have been extremely tight-lipped about this case, releasing very little information to the public.

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewwwinteresting
I remember the Petersen family pleading with the public for information......that did not get in the way of the investigation. I guess they are going to do what they feel is right. It is just much different then I would be if my daughter was murdered. I would help and want as many people to help find the person who did this....not only for justice for my daughter, but to also prevent him/her from killing again!
They also protected Scott and that was one reason it took so long to figure out it was him. They are not protecting Raven, they don't believe it was him but they are not protecting him. They are not publicly saying that he is innocent or guilty. They are leaving everything up to the police
Old 05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissYouJanet
Many times the family's envolvement only hurts the investigation. Look at the Petersen case. They would rather stay out of the way and let the police do their job
I had a distant relative murdered and that is what the family did. They concerned themselves with raising her 3 kids. They would not give interviews and they quietly went about their business and let the police do their job. I think that anything they did that would remind them of the way she was taken from her family was just too painful. It was not that they did not care far from it, they just did not see how getting in front of a throng of tv cameras would help and it was just too painful. Yes, there is a general reaction that can be expected when something like this happens, but not everyone will react in the exact same way. Also, they were such a private family before this happend I think they thought there was no reason to start living in the spotlight. I cannot blame them. I think I would be inclined to lay low and even move away. I would not be able to deal with it.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1
I had a distant relative murdered and that is what the family did. They concerned themselves with raising her 3 kids. They would not give interviews and they quietly went about their business and let the police do their job. I think that anything they did that would remind them of the way she was taken from her family was just too painful. It was not that they did not care far from it, they just did not see how getting in front of a throng of tv cameras would help and it was just too painful. Yes, there is a general reaction that can be expected when something like this happens, but not everyone will react in the exact same way. Also, they were such a private family before this happend I think they thought there was no reason to start living in the spotlight. I cannot blame them. I think I would be inclined to lay low and even move away. I would not be able to deal with it.
Thank you
Old 05-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Raven and Kaiden are safe as is anyone who is with them. Do you really think that they are not being monitored by police?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also knew Janet (although not as long as you), and hope that this case will be resolved soon for her family's sake.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I had a distant relative murdered and that is what the family did.
Did they find the killer?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I can't say what I would do. No one really knows what they would do until they are in that situation.

The Christiansens have chosen to "forgive and forget" the person that did this without knowing who they are. They have forgiven her killer and part of forgiving is forgetting. They know that justice will be served; if not in this life, definitely in the next. Right now they are focused on the family that is still alive. That is how they are handling this tregedy.
OK, so they are moving on, that's their decision. Personally, I would hope that my loved ones would mourn a little longer than a month for me, but maybe I'm being selfish. It took me 4 years to completely mourn the loss of my father. Maybe I'm a pansy?? It just seems a little harsh to me to be moving on so quickly. Just another day......ya know???

I'm just wondering if you know if there was an insurance policy on Janet's life? If there was, was Raven the beneficiary or someone else? Maybe another family member. Maybe her sister. Have the proceeds been distributed yet? Maybe the money is easing their loss, if you get what I mean.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliemae
OK, so they are moving on, that's their decision. Personally, I would hope that my loved ones would mourn a little longer than a month for me, but maybe I'm being selfish. It took me 4 years to completely mourn the loss of my father. Maybe I'm a pansy?? It just seems a little harsh to me to be moving on so quickly. Just another day......ya know???

I'm just wondering if you know if there was an insurance policy on Janet's life? If there was, was Raven the beneficiary or someone else? Maybe another family member. Maybe her sister. Have the proceeds been distributed yet? Maybe the money is easing their loss, if you get what I mean.
You need to read more. I never said that they have stopped mourning nor have they stopped hurting. They have simple chosen to forget her killer NOT TO FORGET JANET.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Did they find the killer?
Sadly no. It was a small town and in the 70's. No fancy equipment then. I can honestly say that now the family does not even think about it. They do remember her on her birthday and when her son and oldest daughther got married they did light a candle for her, but other than that, they have just accepted it and moved on. I am really very proud of those kids. They have both graduated from college and are living happy lives with their own families. The youngest died around age 14 from cancer. She handled the whole illness with such grace as did the rest of the family. Quite an extrodinary family. Never 'why me'. They are a rarity.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliemae

I think the last thing on anyone's mind is money except for gathering money for the trust fun that has been set up for Kaiden
Old 05-26-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Sadly no. It was a small town and in the 70's. No fancy equipment then. I can honestly say that now the family does not even think about it. They do remember her on her birthday and when her son and oldest daughther got married they did light a candle for her, but other than that, they have just accepted it and moved on. I am really very proud of those kids. They have both graduated from college and are living happy lives with their own families. The youngest died around age 14 from cancer. She handled the whole illness with such grace as did the rest of the family. Quite an extrodinary family. Never 'why me'. They are a rarity.
Oh, that's sad. I wonder if they would have spoken up to the media, if anybody would have come forward with info?........no need to think about that now though, it's been 30 years.....Glad the kids turned out well. What a tragedy for any family to go through.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You need to read more. I never said that they have stopped mourning nor have they stopped hurting. They have simple chosen to forget her killer NOT TO FORGET JANET.
Folks, lets be civil to MissYouJanet. She is answering all of your questions as best she can. And just because somone does not grieve the way you would do not assume they don't care as much as you do. When my favorite grandmother passed away I was absolutly devestated, but I barely cried at her funeral. I am very private about my greiving. There were times that I broke down and just lost it in private, but in public I would never do that. I am not cold hearted I am just very very private. Also, if I had a loved one murdered I would not want to go in front of cameras to talk about it. As long as I knew the police were conducting a through investigation I would move on with my life, that is just my own personal style. However if someone wants to go on camera at every chance and shout 'I want justice for my family member' and that is what they feel they need to do then good for them, I am not going to judge them for that.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Folks, lets be civil to MissYouJanet.
Oh, I'm sorry if I came acrossed uncivilized.......I meant to come across as trying to understand and maybe this is just something that I won't understand.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry if I came acrossed uncivilized.......I meant to come across as trying to understand and maybe this is just something that I won't understand.
It's understandable having a hard time understanding the unimaginable . ..
Old 05-26-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's sad. I wonder if they would have spoken up to the media, if anybody would have come forward with info?........no need to think about that now though, it's been 30 years.....Glad the kids turned out well. What a tragedy for any family to go through.
I personally don't believe that the grieving family on the 5, 6 and 11 news is what solves these cases. It's the description of a perp, if one is available, and the info put out by LE along with good old fashioned detective work. I can think of many cases where the family was very vocal, but the LE work was horrible and the crimes were never solved. That however, is just my opinion.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmom
It's understandable having a hard time understanding the unimaginable . ..
Yes it is and unfortunately there seems to be more and more of the unimaginable happening these days. It's always been out there, but with the media these days it's just in your face 24 hours a day.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Folks, lets be civil to MissYouJanet. She is answering all of your questions as best she can. And just because somone does not grieve the way you would do not assume they don't care as much as you do. When my favorite grandmother passed away I was absolutly devestated, but I barely cried at her funeral. I am very private about my greiving. There were times that I broke down and just lost it in private, but in public I would never do that. I am not cold hearted I am just very very private. Also, if I had a loved one murdered I would not want to go in front of cameras to talk about it. As long as I knew the police were conducting a through investigation I would move on with my life, that is just my own personal style. However if someone wants to go on camera at every chance and shout 'I want justice for my family member' and that is what they feel they need to do then good for them, I am not going to judge them for that.
Thank you curious.

The reason I joined this community was to give myself an outlet to grieve and to share Janet with you. I want to let people know how incredible she was but I also want to make sure that people have the correct info.

Janet was the victim. Her family was a victim. Her friends were all victims. I am a victim.

I do want justice. I do want her killer behind bars. I am not her family. Her family is very different than I. They are super private. It took them a long tome to decide to do that media spot. They don't want to be attacked fo their beliefs or for their actions. They are doing what they think is right for them Who are we to judge them? We are not in their situation and I pray that none of us will ever be.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you curious.

The reason I joined this community was to give myself an outlet to grieve and to share Janet with you. I want to let people know how incredible she was but I also want to make sure that people have the correct info.

Janet was the victim. Her family was a victim. Her friends were all victims. I am a victim.

I do want justice. I do want her killer behind bars. I am not her family. Her family is very different than I. They are super private. It took them a long tome to decide to do that media spot. They don't want to be attacked fo their beliefs or for their actions. They are doing what they think is right for them Who are we to judge them? We are not in their situation and I pray that none of us will ever be.
Here, here. I 2nd that.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Retired WS Staff

Hiya Folks;

There are many things we do not know when it comes to this case, however, the one thing that has became quite clear is, Janet obviously has many friends that care deeply for her.

As in most things in life, 2 people can witness the same event and come away with two entirley different perceptions. Thats not to say that either witness is incorrect in their perceptions, its just simply because we all, as humans, form our perceptions based on our own life experiences.

My advice to everyone is to listen to what each member adds to this forum. We dont all have to agree on everything that is said, but lets try to allow each member the freedom to offer thier input in an unintimidating environment.

The ultimate desire of everyone here, I would hope, is to see the day when an arrest will be made in this case.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Former Member

Quote:
My heart breaks for Janet's family and friends and this completely senseless crime. I can't imagine waking up each day with the gaping hole of a lost child.
They've been in my prayers.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex
Hiya Folks;

There are many things we do not know when it comes to this case, however, the one thing that has became quite clear is, Janet obviously has many friends that care deeply for her.

As in most things in life, 2 people can witness the same event and come away with two entirley different perceptions. Thats not to say that either witness is incorrect in their perceptions, its just simply because we all, as humans, form our perceptions based on our own life experiences.

My advice to everyone is to listen to what each member adds to this forum. We dont all have to agree on everything that is said, but lets try to allow each member the freedom to offer thier input in an unintimidating environment.

The ultimate desire of everyone here, I would hope, is to see the day when an arrest will be made in this case.
Thank you
Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Former Member

Does anyone know if Raven was able to sell his motorcycle?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Raven was able to sell his motorcycle?
No. I haven't heard if he has
Old 05-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Former Member

Quote:
No. I haven't heard if he has
Thank you for answering, I have been told through a source that Raven told family members that she commited suicide initially. Can you confirm or deny that.

Again, thank for your patience in answer my questions.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you for answering, I have been told through a source that Raven told family members that she commited suicide initially. Can you confirm or deny that.

Again, thank for your patience in answer my questions.
I never heard that, but from what I have heard about the crime scene, it is easy to see how he could have thought that initially.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I never heard that, but from what I have heard about the crime scene, it is easy to see how he could have thought that initially.
Did Janet suffer from depression at all?
Closed Thread