Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:54 AM
1986 1986 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 478
Crane climber closes Peachtree - accused of killing GF

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...5/26crane.html

Atlanta police Thursday morning remained in a stalemate with a Florida murder suspect perched atop an 18-story crane in the heart of Buckhead.

"We're not in any rush, and he's not a threat to anybody other than to himself," said Atlanta police Sgt. John Quigley.

The man, identified by Florida authorities as 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland, climbed the construction crane about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and has refused to come down.
According to a press release from the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's office, Roland, whose last known address was in Clearwater, is suspected in the slaying of his former girlfriend, 36-year-old Jennifer Gonzalez.

The woman's badly beaten body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in a retention pond near her home in Oldsmar, Fla.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:06 AM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...5/26crane.html

Atlanta police Thursday morning remained in a stalemate with a Florida murder suspect perched atop an 18-story crane in the heart of Buckhead.

"We're not in any rush, and he's not a threat to anybody other than to himself," said Atlanta police Sgt. John Quigley.

The man, identified by Florida authorities as 41-year-old Carl Edward Roland, climbed the construction crane about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and has refused to come down.
According to a press release from the Pinellas County, Fla., sheriff's office, Roland, whose last known address was in Clearwater, is suspected in the slaying of his former girlfriend, 36-year-old Jennifer Gonzalez.

The woman's badly beaten body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in a retention pond near her home in Oldsmar, Fla.
He's not going anywhere, that's for sure. Now all we need is a really good lightning storm; it might save the State of FL a considerable amount of money.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
concernedperson concernedperson is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1
He's not going anywhere, that's for sure. Now all we need is a really good lightning storm; it might save the State of FL a considerable amount of money.
Sunny and cool today...no lightening in the forecast. But we don't know how long he will stay up there....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:23 AM
1986 1986 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 478
It's been sort of windy the past few days at my house (180 miles south). Would it be a shame if the wind picked-up a bit in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:35 AM
lady-eowyn lady-eowyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,755
Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.
__________________
When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:41 AM
concernedperson concernedperson is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady-eowyn
Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.
CNN just said they are on a slight delay while they show the perp on the crane .....just in case, I guess!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:44 AM
robinparten robinparten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady-eowyn
Oh, so that's where the coward ran too...let him jump. I'm sorry, but I get so sick of these criminals being put on suicide watch and police trying to stop these idiots from hurting themselves. Like one of the construction workers said, it's costing them a day's pay Freakin' coward...get a sharp shooter out there and it would take care of the problem.
I live here and work a few miles away from this mess..............traffic is a nightmare. I can't believe they didn't get him down from there overnight. When do you think he will pee?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
lady-eowyn lady-eowyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinparten
When do you think he will pee?
My question is where will his pee land when he does pee? Ewwww!!!
__________________
When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
concernedperson concernedperson is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinparten
I live here and work a few miles away from this mess..............traffic is a nightmare. I can't believe they didn't get him down from there overnight. When do you think he will pee?
I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

He will be getting pretty dehydrated pretty soon...no water etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
In lieu of the lightning storm, if we could only get the crane operator, to accidentally jerk the boom a little, while he is trying to lower it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-26-2005, 11:03 AM
robinparten robinparten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedperson
I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

He will be getting pretty dehydrated pretty soon...no water etc.
You are so right, I work immediately south of the water main and I am just over that whole thing. I think the entire city is going to fall into some sewage cesspool at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-26-2005, 02:50 PM
sharon25 sharon25 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern US
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedperson
I'm staying away from Buckhead today...will change my plans until tomorrow. Between that moron and the water main break it is too much.

He will be getting pretty dehydrated pretty soon...no water etc.
"With temperatures about 60 degrees F at 10 a.m. Thursday, Roland approached authorities stationed on a platform at the end of the crane and accepted a jacket before moving back a few feet and sitting. Shortly afterward, he moved again -- farther out on the crane.

Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/26/crane.man/index.html

ok, I'm sorry, but that is just dumb.
why give him a jacket AND food AND water.
he climbed up there, he can climb down for those things.
__________________


Please Join!
http://www.marrow.org/

Help Find Sharon Shechter!!!
http://www.monroecountysheriff.info/.../unsolved.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon25

Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/26/crane.man/index.html

ok, I'm sorry, but that is just dumb.
why give him a jacket AND food AND water.
he climbed up there, he can climb down for those things.
I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Jeana (DP) Jeana (DP) is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1
I used to believe that Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials, like all Fire Dept. Officials everywhere, deserved my respect. Apparently I was mistaken about the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials. Even cats will climb down out of the tops of trees if they get hungry, or thirsty enough. Talk about dumb (the guy on top of the crane) and dumber (the Atlanta Fire Dept. Officials).

Cheaper than a lawsuit when the idiot falls and kills himself.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:12 PM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
Cheaper than a lawsuit when the idiot falls and kills himself.
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:14 PM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.
Or how about: "He accidentally fell to his death while trying to escape capture."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:31 PM
lisag lisag is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.

Yes it would. LE has a duty to protect him, even it is from himself. If LE knows someone wants to harm themselves, they have to do everything in their power to stop it.. If they failed to do so, the family, I am sure, would sue sue sue... and more than likely, they would win.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Jeana (DP) Jeana (DP) is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1
His family is going to sue Atlanta for not protecting him, against himself??? Somehow I really don't think that suit would prevail.

You mean to tell me you've never heard of a stupid lawsuit??? Just because there's a slim chance of prevailing, doesn't mean that it won't happen darlin.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-26-2005, 04:52 PM
AliSleuth AliSleuth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady-eowyn
My question is where will his pee land when he does pee? Ewwww!!!
I got that same question

what an idiot, why go up a crane and where is that going to get him? He would have been better off blending in with the homeless downtown. They just arrested a man in Marietta for murders 14 years ago, he blended. The sad part is this is going to cost the state of Georgia more money. We had a rash of people threatening to jump off the over passes here and now they're putting fencing up on all the ones I've seen. Guess the crane operators will either have to stay with their cranes, get security or move them every night.
__________________
This is only my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
mere mere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 270
Who was arrested in marietta??
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Jeana (DP) Jeana (DP) is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliSleuth
I got that same question

what an idiot, why go up a crane and where is that going to get him? He would have been better off blending in with the homeless downtown. They just arrested a man in Marietta for murders 14 years ago, he blended. The sad part is this is going to cost the state of Georgia more money. We had a rash of people threatening to jump off the over passes here and now they're putting fencing up on all the ones I've seen. Guess the crane operators will either have to stay with their cranes, get security or move them every night.

LOL I think this dude crawled up there while they were actually on site!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-26-2005, 05:48 PM
mysteriew's Avatar
mysteriew mysteriew is offline
A diamond in process
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 23,118
Ok I have the solution to this one. Due to the murder this guy has a right to an attorney, right? Introduce him to his defense attorney. Tell the attorney it is now his responsibility and walk off and give them their unmonitored time to discuss the case. The guy will either jump or he will come down to talk to his attorney.
__________________
Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Jovin's Avatar
Jovin Jovin is offline
I love Elvis!
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Niagara Falls Canada
Posts: 6,250
My suggestion is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon25
......Authorities have been giving the man food and water, an Atlanta Fire Department official. To keep him from falling asleep, officials have blared a bullhorn occasionally."
....


They should have handed him a portable toilet!

Never mind "where does he pee?" I'm more concerned about the "other" part of that problem! I guess you could say he is probably "full of it" by now.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
AliSleuth AliSleuth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mere
Who was arrested in marietta??
http://www.11alive.com/news/usnews_a...?storyid=63675

.........Agents arrested 45-year-old Byron Scott, commonly known as Claudius Hanson, without incident and are holding him in connection with two drug-related murders committed in 1990. One took place in Philadelphia, while the other happened in New York........
__________________
This is only my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-27-2005, 09:04 AM
mere mere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 270
Thanks Alisleuth
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!