Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified > Grateful Dead Fan

Notices

Grateful Dead Fan Unidentified male died 26 June 1995 in Virginia

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:36 AM

Question VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #1

Please check out this page, I found some of the information at the doenetwork and some from the investigating officer back in 1995. I know that I left some information from the doenetwork out, I did that on purpose. I have posted this everywhere and I did not want the parents (when I find them) to find out certain things from reading a posting on the internet. Please try to help me on this one.

Shawn

http://www.geocities.com/trying2id/JDpage.html
Old 07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Help Find Maura Murray

so was the note to him, and was his name Jason?

Maybe someone hurt him at the concert?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

Can you link the Doe page on him?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 AM

messie...here's the doe page

http://doenetwork.us/cases/127umva.html

I would think surely someone knows who this young man is...I think starting with the note it would be a safe speculation to say his name is Jason as PrayersforMaura said...

Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 AM
A thousand miles from nowhere.....

This is really sad. That no one knows who this child is. What can I do to help?

TIA

Ang
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM

I thought for sure I knew who this was, but I was wrong. I thought it was James Cooper missing from Monroe, MI but James went missing October 25, 1996, not in 1995.
Someone, somewhere has a child that they must think just ran away and decided not to try looking for them, otherwise this young man would have been claimed by someone. It makes me so sad.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

What is so sad is that this case couldve been solved back in the 90's when the Dead was still touring.All LE had to do was pass out flyers at Dead shows and they wouldve gotten leads as it seems this guy was following the Dead,which although a tranisent lifestyle was also close knit among followers traveling around the country.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Help Find Maura Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I thought for sure I knew who this was, but I was wrong. I thought it was James Cooper missing from Monroe, MI but James went missing October 25, 1996, not in 1995.
Someone, somewhere has a child that they must think just ran away and decided not to try looking for them, otherwise this young man would have been claimed by someone. It makes me so sad.
Wow... very close... maybe one of the listings has the year wrong??
Old 07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
A diamond in process

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
Wow... very close... maybe one of the listings has the year wrong??
I think that happens frequently in some of the old posts. (And possibly in newer ones too.) Always allow a little leeway. Can you find a media article to verify the dates? Or more than one listing with the same dates?

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 PM

I wish it were a case of a mistaken date as the family would at least have closure. Here is his case number through the National Center for Missing Children. The look is just so similar.

Case Number: NCMC829920
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 PM

Did anyone ever trace out the tele number? Even without the area code, it can be traced. Time consuming, but doable, expensive to call all the possibles, but doable.

Someone knows this boy and it would be a step to see if he was following the Greatful Dead if we knew where the Dead went after that concert. It would either confirm or eliminate something.

Reputation is what you are in the light.
Character is what you are in the dark.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
They are close but James had braces and the young man "Jason Doe" had no dental restoration. I would think they would have said if he had braces or had had them.

They are close in basic looks, but with the years being off, I can't imagine NCMEC being off a year.
Edited to add: james has blue eyes and "Jason Doe" has brown.

Reputation is what you are in the light.
Character is what you are in the dark.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:46 PM

My two older brothers used to follow the dead around everywhere! They are from Baltimore and they would always swing through Wisconsin to come see us, so I'm pretty sure they went to A LOT of the concerts. My oldest brother also followed them ALWAYS taking pictures, he's a photographer. So he talked to soooo many people to see if they wanted to buy one. I just had an idea! I could ask him to look through his pictures too, and maybe just maybe he'll be in a pic, pretty far fetch though. I will let him know for sure, hopefully he'll get back to me sometime soon(he's sooo busy), let me know if my idea about the photos are crazy!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Black cats consider me unlucky.

Here's one possible match from the Doe Network: Case# 1043DMUT (sorry, couldn't get the link to work)
The age is a little off, but that really might not mean anything....Doe Network lists his height as 5'6", the website lists 5'8 to 5'10

Okay, here's the link http://doenetwork.us/cases/1043dmut.html

Last edited by shadowangel; 07-14-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Live Laugh Love

i think shadows possible match is a good one maybe something will come out of it also the number thingy what if le tried to call every area coded number that matched the numeber they had... its worth a shot i wouldnt mind sleuthing for possible locations for that number....

http://www.fonefinder.net/findome.ph...mber&cityname=
did a search with the prefix and a wild card for the location. no utah location which means the two women listed on the paper might have not been local and could have been someone at the concert... also im ruling out ct because i have not seen any missing persons fiting his description both on doe and cts unsolved mystries website.. i also saw the pic of the other missing boy james or something the dates were off but the hair looked so alike
Old 07-14-2005, 01:49 PM

that is a good match shadow!!

As far as the 914 prefix goes..here is a list of all places with 914 as a prefix...

http://www.fonefinder.net/findome.php?npa=&nxx=914&usaquerytype=Search+by+Nu mber&cityname=

One that stood out particularly to me was Chester, VA, which is south of Richmond. If these people were on their way back from a concert in DC they would have went through this area on I-95 before they got to Greensville County, which is where the accident took place.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM

smile...looks like we were at it at the same time! LOL

I am thinking the note was maybe from someone he met at the concert or on his way to the concert or from it.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM

I was thinking maybe the note was from friends who were supposed to meet him at the concert but didn't make it. Doe Network states that the un-id'd got the tickets from a guy from PA...it doesn't say if the tickets were sold in PA or elsewhere (maybe at the concert). However, as I read the note it makes more sense that all the tickets (or a large number) may have been sold to a group of friends.

Missing since early '94, Simmons would have had ample time to make his way across country, hitching from state to state...
Is there a way to check for the names in the most likely prefix-matching towns?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowangel
Here's one possible match from the Doe Network: Case# 1043DMUT (sorry, couldn't get the link to work)
The age is a little off, but that really might not mean anything....Doe Network lists his height as 5'6", the website lists 5'8 to 5'10

Okay, here's the link http://doenetwork.us/cases/1043dmut.html
The age is a little off, but some definite similarites.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
i agree...but the problem is the hair color. it looks like jason doe died his hair red while the other one was a natural red head.

edit: never mind, i just looked at his pictured again and that could definately be a dye job...this is a really good match!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowangel
I was thinking maybe the note was from friends who were supposed to meet him at the concert but didn't make it. Doe Network states that the un-id'd got the tickets from a guy from PA...it doesn't say if the tickets were sold in PA or elsewhere (maybe at the concert). However, as I read the note it makes more sense that all the tickets (or a large number) may have been sold to a group of friends.
From doenetwork:

The tickets found in the victim's pocket were traced to a Pennsylvania man who brought 20 tickets with him to the concert

That makes me think that the man brought the tickets with him to the concert and sold them there outside the concert
. If the two girls who signed the note were friends that were suppose to meet him there, how would he have gotten the note from them? I was thinking maybe he hooked up with some people and they hitchhiked from the concert into VA...maybe they camped or stayed in a hotel and the girls left while he was asleep or out and left him the note, because it says "sorry we had to go" like they left him.

The Following User Says Thank You to lady-eowyn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 PM

Guess I need to read a little closer next time!

Anyway, it still could have been a group supposed to meet there, maybe some of the friends made it to the concert except these two, who gave one of the other friends a note to give to "Jason"
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 PM

10 years unidentified

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
so was the note to him, and was his name Jason?

Maybe someone hurt him at the concert?
It is not believed that he was hurt at the concert.
No one knows if the note was to him or just something he picked up somewhere... but I have contacted Caroline Thomas. She is one of the founders of a group of kids that followed the Grateful Dead that were drug and alcohol free called the WharfRats. She is sending out my message to all the DeadHeads they she is still in contact with these days.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-18-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:25 PM

Per the investigating LE they were sold outside the gate at the concert and of course the guy remembers nothing. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady-eowyn
From doenetwork:

The tickets found in the victim's pocket were traced to a Pennsylvania man who brought 20 tickets with him to the concert

That makes me think that the man brought the tickets with him to the concert and sold them there outside the concert
. If the two girls who signed the note were friends that were suppose to meet him there, how would he have gotten the note from them? I was thinking maybe he hooked up with some people and they hitchhiked from the concert into VA...maybe they camped or stayed in a hotel and the girls left while he was asleep or out and left him the note, because it says "sorry we had to go" like they left him.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 PM

This doenetwork person in not a match, his teeth were in terrible shape and the unidentified had perfect teeth. Dna has been tested also on them. No match!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Closed Thread