Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 AM

Donations for victims of Hurricane Katrina

Here is a link to several organizations helping the victims of Hurricane Katarina, including PETS!

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics...HOO&cmpgn=NEWS

Pass it along to others who might wish to help, as well.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 08-31-2005 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typo in storm's name
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Former Member

bumping
Old 08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Former Member

Thanks DK!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:56 PM

They are going to need lots and lots of help!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Bumping for the greater good!

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Former Member

Thanks DK. I stopped by our local Red Cross today. They are recommending cash donations. If you can't give cash, they would love some of your time to field phone calls and to coordinate how your local RC will be getting the supplies to the victims. They are in disaster mode and would welcome any and all help.

Nancy
Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 PM

They said on the news too, they need money, money and more money!
Old 08-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Somedays your the windshield.........

Cities all across the South are sheltering familes that have evacuated. Many left with only the clothes on their backs. There are calls for clothing, bedding, toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, diapers etc. Many of the local churchs are asking for donations of this sort. They are meeting the basic needs untill the Red Cross and Fema can generate their paperwork. Your local Churchs may be taking these items to send to their sister Churchs in the South.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Former Member

They really need those donations, but unfortunately you have to be careful: every time there is a tragedy like this, there are always vultures trying to profit by getting people to donate money to them, under the guise of a charity - they keep the money for themselves. Make sure you know the charity is valid. Red Cross is good, but a wonderful sounding pitch from a church you don't go to may be a scammer.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Somedays your the windshield.........

LOL if someone is so desperate to scam me for toilet paper they can have it.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybee204
LOL! How true!

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:03 AM

I have read that the best start is Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org

They are providing clean water, food and shelter

You can contact your local chapter also to volunteer; if you can't give cash

Salvation Army also. You need to be sure it is a reputable organization, as said above.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Former Member

And they need blood donations - you can donate blood pretty much anywhere in the USA, and it will be helpful.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Authentic Southern Belle

Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 PM

Making safe hurricane donations

Making safe hurricane donations
Aug 31, 2005, 1:25 PM

If you would like to make a donation to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, but are worried about scams..we have some tips that may help. If you get a call or e-mail about making a donation, check out the charity first. Some scammers use sound-alike names to fool you. So write down the name then check it by running it through the Better Business Bureau at www.give.org.

Or if you want the find out about the charity's finantial information check out www.guidestar.org or www.charitywatch.org from the American Institute of Philanthropy.

If you do decide to give money -- do so by check and make it out to the charity not the person asking for the donation.

http://kptv.com/global/Story.asp?s=3780557
Old 08-31-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishleigh
Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.
Thanks! I was also going to suggest them, as they are very reputable, and as you said, those areas are very Catholic with lots of churches and such.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
A diamond in process

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

http://national.unitedway.org/

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 08-31-2005, 07:00 PM

My ebay auctioning thing is working.

I am pretty much strapped for cash right now and I am walking and taking the bus around to avoid using gas, but somehow I've managed to raise $80 (in one day!) by auctioning items around my house.

The money is donated directly through ebay to the charity of my choice, which is currently United way but there are other charities such as red cross and Salvation army too. WOO HOO! This is far better than I had hoped, I was only expecting to make about $25 so far. Plus there's that whole "one man's trash is another's treasure" so I am being repaid by being able to get rid of a bunch of unneeded stuff in my house.

Off to sell more ebay items. If anyone else wants to do it, it's called ebay giving works.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishleigh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I read where a Catholic Church (I forget the name) was totally gone in Biloxi. And, I didn't know that these were Catholic areas back there. Thanks for the info...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM

*bumpity bump bump*

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybee204
----------
tybee,for the past week I have been suffering from irritable bowel,donations welcome!ROFLOL. Seriously I was able to donate to the NO spca for their animals.The puppy waiting on the roof for help really hurt..My prayers are with everyone.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nore
----------
tybee,for the past week I have been suffering from irritable bowel,donations welcome!ROFLOL. Seriously I was able to donate to the NO spca for their animals.The puppy waiting on the roof for help really hurt..My prayers are with everyone.
Thanks for reminding me of the Louisiana SPCA, I just donated to them, as well, at http://www.la-spca.org

Hope you get some good TP, lol!

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Thanks! I was also going to suggest them, as they are very reputable, and as you said, those areas are very Catholic with lots of churches and such.
I believe that you don't have to be Catholic for this charity to help you. If I am not mistaken, this charity provides a lot of services, based on income, for all individuals.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanandjim
I believe that you don't have to be Catholic for this charity to help you. If I am not mistaken, this charity provides a lot of services, based on income, for all individuals.
You're correct. It serves you without asking your faith etc. Actually, when I went to donate, it told me to give to Catholic Charities USA, it's sister organization, just FYI.

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 PM
A diamond in process

Bush just announced the Red Cross number as 1-800-HELP NOW.

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight