Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 09-03-2005, 10:00 PM

What about Mississippi????

Mississippians' Suffering Overshadowed

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS, Associated Press Writer

Mississippi hurricane survivors looked around Saturday and wondered just how long it would take to get food, clean water and shelter. And they were more than angry at the federal government and the national news media.

Richard Gibbs was disgusted by reports of looting in New Orleans and upset at the lack of attention hurricane victims in his state were getting.

"I say burn the bridges and let 'em all rot there," he said. "We're suffering over here too, but we're not killing each other. We've got to help each other. We need gas and food and water and medical supplies."

Gibbs and his wife, Holly, have been stuck at their flooded home in Gulfport just off the Biloxi River. Water comes up to the second floor, they are out of gasoline, and food supplies are running perilously low.

Until recently, they also had Holly's 75-year-old father, who has a pacemaker and severe diabetes, with them. Finally they got an ambulance to take him to the airport so he could be airlifted to Lafayette, La., for medical help.

____ Associated Press reporter David Royse and Brian Skoloff in Gulfport and Jay Reeves in Bay St. Louis contributed to this report

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Last edited by Texas 1; 09-03-2005 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Edited for copyright issues and no URL..Please post it, DK!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Nana Extraordinaire

That is true!

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Former Member

I know they got hit hard - but they're so lucky in comparison to New Orleans that I don't see a thing wrong with the level of coverage. Come on now - complaining while preparing a barbeque for your neighbors? Worried that you are about to run out of medicine?

In New Orleans there are no barbeques, they can't go to their freezer for leftovers to cook up, and the people there who need medicine mostly ran out already. Including that sad story of a father who had a reporter go to try to find his daughter to get his diabetes medicine - by the time the reporter was back, the father was dead.

I understand it - your own problems always seem larger relative to things that don't involve you - so they can vent, but the resources have to be allocated more to New Orelans until it's under control. It's that triage thing again.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:07 PM
The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!

According to most folks here they just need ole Shep and Raldo....problem solved.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Former Member

Mississippi is in the same boat the Pentagon was in on 9/11. Overshadowed by the bigger story. No doubt about it. The good thing is there was far less loss of life in MS, so they have something to be grateful for.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Music keeps me sane!!!

Location: The lovely Sacramento Valley in northern California
Mississippi gulf coast is ravaged. Power was restored last night in some areas only to go out again. Phone service is off & on. Paul (SIL) took their daughters to Fla & returned with a van full of supplies from a Wal-Mart somewhere up there. He & Tammy went to Biloxi yesterday with some people from his work and someone from red cross took these things(with gratitude) and told them to go back home. Our phone call last night was very short. They live in Vancleave and their house survived. They've taken in two other families but don't know what happened to many of their friends. Every time Tammy manages to get through to me on her cell she is crying. Then I cry. I'm just so glad they all survived. I try to stay on these other threads somewhat & put my 2 cents in. It keeps me from thinking about her tears.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Former Member

I'm so glad your family is okay. The rest of the loss is heartbreaking, but they still have each other. It's gonna be okay ... eventually. Getting there is the hard part.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:14 PM

I would like to see more coverage on the other areas. Its hard to relate to the NO area with its very unique problems.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:04 AM
RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.

I read this earlier today and was shocked.

I understand that these areas were decimated, but the there is an immediate need to sustain life in New Orleans. If New Orleans was in the same condition as MS, then I would expect the same coverage. However, MS doesn't have thousands holded up in buildings and dying. I am not downgrading the plight of MS at all, but the condition in NO deserve immediate attention because to the threat of death and disease.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:44 AM

" Burn the bridge and let them rot"?? Good grief, what a horrible thing to say. Only a portion of the people in New Orleans were acting in a criminal way.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:11 AM

The Gov. of Mississippi was being interview on Fox. There was some encouraging information about major companies going to continue to pay their employees for the next 90 days to help them. They have found people stranded as far as 90 miles off the coast. There are huge problems covering a large area not just the beach areas.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsvicki
" Burn the bridge and let them rot"?? Good grief, what a horrible thing to say. Only a portion of the people in New Orleans were acting in a criminal way.
that was said out of frustration and anger I am sure. Deep down he doesn t feel that way. Like when you were a kid and got mad at you parents and said I hate you.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsvicki
NOLA is getting the most coverage and I'm sure when you've lost your home and job and everyone around you is in the same boat, with no end in sight, it's hard to be grateful. Especially when you hear about criminals shooting at rescuers. Those in MS are better off because they can start the process of cleaning and rebuilding but it probably doesn't seem like it when you're standing in miles of rubble and debris, being tired, worried sick, mind going in circles.

I doubt he meant it and will probably regret it when he's thinking with a clear mind.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Help Find Maura Murray

It nice to see some clamness...
It appears one Mississippi official isn't blaming anyone... I found this in a CNN article:

He said search and rescue efforts were not "as fast as we wanted," but he attributed that to the scope of the devastation.

Praise the Lord, someone with some common sense.
__________________________________________________ ______---

Mississippi authorities blame Hurricane Katrina for 154 deaths in the state, and the toll is expected to rise, the state's governor told a House committee Wednesday

Appearing by video from the state capital in Jackson, Gov. Haley Barbour told the House Energy and Commerce Committee in Washington that authorities in his state have rescued about 5,000 people from the rubble.

Some Mississippians -- including Hattiesburg Mayor Johnnie Dupree -- have complained that FEMA's bureaucracy prevented some needed supplies from reaching their destinations.

By Wednesday, the coastal area was firmly under the control of the National Guard.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/07/kat...act/index.html
Old 09-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
It appears one Mississippi official isn't blaming anyone... I found this in a CNN article:

He said search and rescue efforts were not "as fast as we wanted," but he attributed that to the scope of the devastation.

Mississippi authorities blame Hurricane Katrina for 154 deaths in the state, and the toll is expected to rise, the state's governor told a House committee Wednesday

Appearing by video from the state capital in Jackson, Gov. Haley Barbour told the House Energy and Commerce Committee in Washington that authorities in his state have rescued about 5,000 people from the rubble.

Some Mississippians -- including Hattiesburg Mayor Johnnie Dupree -- have complained that FEMA's bureaucracy prevented some needed supplies from reaching their destinations.

By Wednesday, the coastal area was firmly under the control of the National Guard.

Well, we are hearing about FEMA one more time. I am hearing about that a lot. Putting politics out of it at this point....where exactly is FEMA?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:10 PM

Gov. Haley Barbour is a Republican Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura

Gov. Haley Barbour is a Republican, Trent Lott lives in his state and Haley is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer and founder of Barbour Griffith & Rogers, which Fortune magazine named the top lobbying firm in the United States. A lobbyist to the Republicans hmmm - that means it would be political AND financial suicide for him to criticize, Bush, FEMA, Dan Brown, Homeland Security et al. Don't look for Haley Barbour to say anything that could be remotely considered negative to the current administration. If you look at what LOCAL residents and LE are saying about the "recovery" you will see a different story. Haley will be well rewarded for his loyalty in this, you just wait and see.

It's my opinion only - and I like it. Yours may be different
and I may not like it, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.
Stop Habitat Destruction - Do We Really Need To Pave Paradise?
~Peace~
Old 09-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Walk a day in our shoes in MS and then tell me that we don't deserve help as much as NO. There are no fun filled barbecues here Details all my food is rotting in the woods behind my house. We are eating MREs. Don't anyone dare say we don't deserve help, that we are not suffering. We have not shot at rescue workers.
We are just as devestated. Do we not rank with NO b/c we don't have as many dead, people are dying here daily. People have been found dead on the coast that have only been dead a few days, not the 10days ago that the storm hit. These people suffered misaerably and died a slow death. I welcome anyone to come spend a day on the MS gulf coast and tell me how good we have it. Don't go to NO though, you might get shot.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sisters
Walk a day in our shoes in MS and then tell me that we don't deserve help as much as NO. There are no fun filled barbecues here Details all my food is rotting in the woods behind my house. We are eating MREs. Don't anyone dare say we don't deserve help, that we are not suffering. We have not shot at rescue workers.
We are just as devestated. Do we not rank with NO b/c we don't have as many dead, people are dying here daily. People have been found dead on the coast that have only been dead a few days, not the 10days ago that the storm hit. These people suffered misaerably and died a slow death. I welcome anyone to come spend a day on the MS gulf coast and tell me how good we have it. Don't go to NO though, you might get shot.
I'm so glad you have generator power now, how about your family you said you have in NO, are they okay?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 PM

Yes they are. My uncle and cousin stubbornly stayed and deeply regret it but they are find and are trying to get to MS. I have family in both places so it was a scary week spent wondering. NO and MS are all in this together and we both need help, not one more that the other.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Bless you sweetie.....My thoughts and prayers are with you
Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope you get the assistance you need soon.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Somedays your the windshield.........

My husband just returned from Mississippi last night. He and his business partner collected and hauled a load of water, food and medical supplies down. He heard many stories and was distraught by the devastation. God bless you and yours and keep safe.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 PM

More On Barbour - Halliburton/FEMA Connections

"Ex-FEMA Chief Tied to Hurricane Relief Lobbying
And the website TalkingPointsMemo is reporting that the former head of FEMA, Joe Allbaugh, may stand to profit from the catastrophe in the Gulf region through his various lobbying efforts. President Bush tapped Allbaugh to head FEMA after he served as Bush's campaign manager during the 2000 election. He headed FEMA until March 2003 just as the U.S. was launching its invasion of Iraq. Then Allbaugh helped form a lobbying firm called New Bridge Strategies in order to help clients "take advantage of business opportunities in the Middle East following the conclusion of the U.S.-led war in Iraq." New Bridge Strategies was also formed by several top executives from the lobbying firm then known as Barbour Griffith & Rogers. The head of that firm was Haley Barbour who is now the Republican governor of Mississippi. Earlier this year Joe Allbaugh signed on as a lobbyist for Halliburton subsidiary KBR in order to "educate the congressional and executive branch on defense, disaster relief and homeland security issues." Just last week the federal government announced that Halliburton would be hired to repair the Gulf Coast military bases damaged by Katrina. And now the Washington Post is reporting that Allbaugh is also helping Louisiana "coordinate the private-sector response to the storm."
Read More at: http://www.democracynow.org/article..../09/07/1415218

It's my opinion only - and I like it. Yours may be different
and I may not like it, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.
Stop Habitat Destruction - Do We Really Need To Pave Paradise?
~Peace~