Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 09-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Former Member

I want to add something for lostfaith. Put this in prospective also, lostfaith. I know your concern for the infants and elderly and even the very poor. I know that you thought it was ok that the buses hired to take the stranded tourists out were used to evacuate others first.

I put it to you to wonder if it would be ok to commandeer private persons who were leaving in their own vehicles, to evacuate those poor and infirm first? There's a limit to this blame game and excusing poor judgment on the part of local officials.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:39 PM
The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnGoddess
I put it to you to wonder if it would be ok to commandeer private persons who were leaving in their own vehicles, to evacuate those poor and infirm first? There's a limit to this blame game and excusing poor judgment on the part of local officials.
Actually, many state emergency plans give the Governor, or anyone under his or her order, the right to commandeer any and all private property, food, clothing, transportation, property, buildings, etc. Although it sounds unfair - I think people would be surprised to know how much the government can take from you at a time of crisis. Now, they have to pay you for it or pay you for its use and/or return it to you when they no longer need it, once you file the appropriate forms, filed in triplicate (LOL). Not meaning to argue, Barn. That's not my intention at all!!! Just wanting everyone to realize they may want to look up their individual state's emergency response plans and just see what it is their own state can or cannot do.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Lost my mind too!

There was no reason their buses should have been taken BEFORE the storm arrived, leaving them stranded. That is plain wrong. Those who arranged for their safe evacuation were stranded unnecessarily. ....BarnGoddes......

I might have mis-understood, but I was under the impression that these buses were arranged on Monday,(day of the storm) and arrived on Wed. This is per Aussie's post #6 and #15. So if that info is correct the buses were taken AFTER the storm, not before. I would be really mad at the tourist agent who screwed them over and did not get them out before the storm came. I believe if those buses would have arrived before the storm, they had plenty of notice, they would not have been taken away from them.

That is plain wrong. Those who arranged for their safe evacuation were stranded unnecessarily......BarnGoddes......

In my opinion if the buses were arranged on the day of the storm and came 2 days after (Wed.) then the buses were not arranged for safe evacuation, they were arranged for rescue. Why did they not arrange for them before Katrina? Did they possible think the storm would pass over them and they could continue thier vacation, or were they waiting for the tourist company to come thru for them and they did not?

I do agree with you however on the hotel issue, If they were made to leave they absolutely should have been given and bused to another safe place.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Lost my mind too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnGoddess

Yes, I do think it is o.k. In the aftermath of the storm, not the evacuation of the storm. In the evacuation of the storm, the government of NO should have provided more help to its citizens in getting out of there before Katrina hit. To commandeer private vehicles at that time would have been wrong, they could have used their school buses or chartered buses for their citizens. In the chaos after the storm, I think it is o.k. to commandeer private vehicles in order to save persons in dire straights. I think it is the moral thing to do.

Now, I do believe these tourist need to be compensated for those buses, they should get back every penny of it, and a apology from NO for not being better prepared. I also think the tourist true anger should be directed at the tourist agency that ditched them. Big lawsuit time in my opinion!

Oh, and before this is brought up, someone said there were also elderly and wheelchair bound tourist, well they should have been taken out with those buses too. They are exactly the kind of people who should have been among the top priority.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Lost my mind too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by less0305
Actually, many state emergency plans give the Governor, or anyone under his or her order, the right to commandeer any and all private property, food, clothing, transportation, property, buildings, etc. Although it sounds unfair - I think people would be surprised to know how much the government can take from you at a time of crisis. Now, they have to pay you for it or pay you for its use and/or return it to you when they no longer need it, once you file the appropriate forms, filed in triplicate (LOL). Not meaning to argue, Barn. That's not my intention at all!!! Just wanting everyone to realize they may want to look up their individual state's emergency response plans and just see what it is their own state can or cannot do.

Thanx, I knew I had seen this done in movies, but was not sure about the legal part of it in real life.