Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 AM

VERY interesting Katrina blog

This is a blog done by a family (one actually named Katrina, hence the name, lol) who are trying to get their mother back from Louisiana, and it shows some pictures of the damage as well as telling what they are going through, including the lack of help from the Red Cross, of all people. It is a very good read:

http://katrinaversuskatrina.blogspot.com/

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 09-13-2005 at 07:51 AM. Reason: clarifying some info
Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
WS Administrator

OH wow. good find DK. Need to take some time and digest it all, but looks very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!

I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
WS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by less0305
I'm just not sure that these folks know that the Red Cross is really not a part of the federal government. Or am I delusional - I didn't think they were. I understand what they're saying about not being helped by Red Cross, but really Red Cross is not a part of FEMA - two separate entities, aren't they? I honestly don't think there are enough FEMA agents to handle all the areas that this hurricane devastated. Wonder if there are efforts to put more people on the payroll to go out and take claims, etc.?
Hi Less..you are correct.
RC is a private organization. They work along side federal agencies but they are distinctly separate.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I think it gets a bit confusing with all the requests to help the Red Cross, too, like when the president requests donations to the Red Cross, that it's actually not a federal agency.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, or do people simply no longer understand how our government operates? And what is and isn't a part of the government?

I'm struck by one of the evacuees, who said "This will cost Bush the next election."
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember my name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Is it just me, or do people simply no longer understand how our government operates? And what is and isn't a part of the government?

I'm struck by one of the evacuees, who said "This will cost Bush the next election."
It's not just you! I spoke with our municipal attorney last night and he said the same thing - that is simply amazing how many people do not understand what federalism is and how our government structure is. I couldn't believe it when someone said Bush was Gov. Blanco's boss - like he could fire her. Do they even teach Civics to kids in school anymore?? My daughter has weightlifting for one of her classes this semester. Hmmmmm. Is there something wrong here!!??
Old 09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
WS Administrator

Quote:
It's not just you! I spoke with our municipal attorney last night and he said the same thing - that is simply amazing how many people do not understand what federalism is and how our government structure is. I couldn't believe it when someone said Bush was Gov. Blanco's boss - like he could fire her. Do they even teach Civics to kids in school anymore?? My daughter has weightlifting for one of her classes this semester. Hmmmmm. Is there something wrong here!!??
I was going to post this very thing. I have run into some pretty educated, intelligent people and they have uttered something similar. Blows my mind.

I think it was marrigotti who posted it seems like many could benefit from Civics 101 or something to that effect.

Admittedly this is not my strong suit..but I've got at least the basics down, I think