Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news

Old 09-22-2005, 07:12 PM
A diamond in process

Cops: Pa., N.Y., Fla. Slayings Linked To N.J. Dismemberment Suspect

Evidence linking a former nurse charged with killing and dismembering two men to similar slayings in Pennsylvania, New York and Florida should be admitted at his trial, prosecutors say.

Ocean County authorities want to introduce testimony and evidence about the out-of-state killings in the trial next month of Richard W. Rogers. He is charged with murdering two men whose body parts were found wrapped in plastic bags and discarded at highway rest stops in Ocean and Burlington counties.
http://www.wnbc.com/news/5005819/detail.html

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 01-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Help Find Maura Murray

As Killer Faces Sentencing, His Motive Remains Elusive

One of the green plastic trash bags dumped 14 years ago off Route 72 in South Jersey contained the head of a man. Another bag held his torso and severed arms, while his legs were found in a third.
Ten months later, more bags surfaced. The police in Manchester Township, an hour and a half east of Philadelphia, found six bags near a dirt road, filled with the body parts of another man. Richard Rogers Jr., a Staten Island nurse, was convicted in November of murdering the two men, Thomas Mulcahy, 57, identified by prosecutors as a bisexual computer salesman, and Anthony Marrero, 44, identified as a male prostitute. Mr. Mulcahy, prosecutors said, was visiting Manhattan on business in July 1992.

Judge James Citta of New Jersey Superior Court will decide today whether Mr. Rogers should be sentenced to the maximum punishment of two life sentences. Mr. Rogers is suspected of at least two other murders, but prosecutors have said they do not have enough evidence.

Yet Mr. Rogers might never have been caught if not for the bags and the faint fingerprints they held. His crimes were meticulous, unobserved affairs hatched in the boozy haze of New York's upscale gay bars. Even now, after more than a decade of work, investigators say Mr. Rogers's motives remain a mystery.

"The big unanswered question in this case is why," said William Heisler, the Ocean County prosecutor who presented the case at a two-week trial in Toms River, N.J. "For whatever reason, he was targeting gay men in New York. All we know is they were drunk when they went missing."

More: http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=ht...DseQ7CQ26i_Q5C

Username: registernow5
password: registernow