Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news

Old 10-03-2005, 06:46 AM
A diamond in process

Christian Gabriel accused in the murder of Erica Baker

Eight months after a grand jury indicted Christian John Gabriel, and six years and eight months after 9-year-old Erica Baker disappeared from a Kettering park, the 34-year-old Springfield man will be tried Monday.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...ZUaU]UcTYWYWZV

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 10-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Pook

I am so glad this is finally going somewhere.

I just hope that the family will finally be able to learn where she is.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:02 AM
A diamond in process

Nearly seven years after Erica Baker, 9, disappeared outside the Kettering Recreation Center, jury selection began Monday morning for the only person charged in the case.

Christian Gabriel is accused of gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

At this time, the court is in a phase called voir dire, which is the questioning of potential jurors and selecting of a jury. It began Monday morning and is expected to last most of the day. http://www.whiotv.com/news/5049794/d...s=day&psp=news

Misty Baker is still hoping that Franks’ attorney, Beth Lewis, will reveal what she knows. So far, she has stayed silent for years, asserting attorney-client privilege. http://www.whiotv.com/news/5051223/d...s=day&psp=news

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 10-05-2005, 07:32 AM
A diamond in process

On Tuesday, the mother of a 9-year-old Kettering girl who disappeared in Feb. 1999 was the first person to take the stand in the Christian Gabriel trial.

Misty Baker, the mother of Erica Baker, who vanished while walking her dog six years ago, said she regrets letting her daughter go out and walk her dog.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/5058581/d...s=day&psp=news

The only person charged in the case of a 9-year-old girl who vanished more than six years ago was accused Tuesday at his trial of hitting the girl with his van, then burying her body in a park.

Christian Gabriel told police he was driving the van that struck Erica Baker in 1999 when she darted into the street between parked cars, Assistant Montgomery County Prosecutor Leon Daidone said in opening statements in Common Pleas Court.

"He would later tell police Erica Baker's body was twisted and broken, but there was no blood," he said.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...344/1056/rss02

Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 AM
A diamond in process

Tuesday, the jury visited several locations, including where Baker was allegedly hit and killed.

After seeing the area first hand, the jury heard opening statements.
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/10/04/baker.html

Erica Baker lay face up, her hands crossed over her chest beneath a jacket draped atop her 3-foot, 11-inch body in a shallow grave somewhere in Caesar Creek State Park, a prosecutor told a rapt Montgomery County Common Pleas Court jury Tuesday.

The 9-year-old girl ran in front of a van and was killed on a rainy Sunday afternoon in February 1999 on Glengarry Drive near Powhatton Place, just east of Indian Riffle Park in Kettering, assistant county prosecutor Leon Daidone said in his opening remarks at Christian Gabriel's trial.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...1005erica.html

Montgomery County prosecutors laid out their case against Christian Gabriel on Tuesday. He is the only person charged in connection with the disappearance of 9-year-old Erica Bake.

Opening statements began in the trial Tuesday afternoon.

Gabriel is accused of gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. On Monday morning, prosecutors and the defense began questioning potential jurors.

On Monday a jury of five men, seven women and two female alternates were chosen as the jury from a pool of 70 potential jurors. They are the people who will hear evidence in the trial of Gabriel.

On Tuesday morning the jury was taken to several locations throughout the Kettering area that authorities believe are crucial to their investigation.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/5057067/detail.html

Old 10-06-2005, 09:09 AM
A diamond in process

In a 94-minute taped interview with Clark County sheriff's deputies July 19, 2004, Christian Gabriel repeatedly said he had witnessed, while in a drunken stupor, the death of Erica Baker.

Gabriel said was a passenger in a van that struck and killed the 9-year-old, a Montgomery County jury heard him say Wednesday.

"I mean, this stuff ain't getting blamed on me," Gabriel said.

Gabriel insisted on the tape that his girlfriend, Jan Franks, was driving his van and two married roommates of his, Clifford and Sabrina Butts, were in the back of the two-seat cargo van.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...5ericaweb.html

Prosecutors in Christian Gabriel's trial Wednesday played a videotape of an interview with Gabriel. He told police he was riding in a van that struck and killed the 9-year-old as she walked her dog on a rainy Sunday afternoon in February 1999.

He also told police what happened to the body, which has not been found.

"We were going down the street and heard a thud and got out of the van, and someone was lying in the street," Gabriel said in the interview.

"You say she was walking her dog. How do you know she was walking her dog?" an investigator said.

"Because I saw the dog," Gabriel said.

Gabriel said he and three others in the van had been partying.

"I was drunk. I had a buzz. I really didn't see nothing until I heard the thud," he said, telling investigators he was riding in the front passenger seat.

The four people put Erica in the back and drove her to Gabriel's apartment and partied some more, he said. They discussed what to do with her, and Gabriel said he thought they were going to drive her to a hospital.

Instead, they drove to a park, he said.

Gabriel said he stayed in the van while the others dumped Erica's body.

"They said they just laid it somewhere," he said.
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/new...s=cin&psp=news

Old 10-07-2005, 12:22 AM
A diamond in process

Testimony wrapped for day 3 in the trial of Christian Gabriel who is the only person charged in the disappearance of 9-year-old Erica Baker.

On Thursday, jurors saw a written confession by Gabriel. Detectives in Kettering said he changed his story the second time he was questioned by police. He is charged with gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

The main witness Thursday afternoon was a Kettering detective who interviewed Gabriel. He said Gabriel changed his story the second time he was interview.

The detective said in the first interview, Gabriel denied that he was driving the van that struck Baker. He then said that when Gabriel was interviewed a second time, he went along with police and said he was driving the van.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/5067326/d...s=day&psp=news

The trial of Christian Gabriel resumed Thursday for day 3 of testimony. He is the only person accused in the disappearance of Erica Baker.

Gabriel is facing charges of gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

On Thursday morning a lot of attention was put on the van police think Gabriel was driving the day Baker died. They said about six people took the stand, including people who work for the Miami Valley Crime lab.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/5065822/d...s=day&psp=news

Old 10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Love your children....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...nid=dlh-100705

Detective gives emotional account of Erica's death
Defense: No evidence found in case of missing 9-year-old

By Rob Modic

Dayton Daily News

DAYTON | Some 6 1/2 years after Detective Robert J. Green was first called out to find a missing girl in Kettering, and moments after he settled into the witness box to begin his testimony about the marathon case, his composure dissolved Thursday morning in the trial of Christian John Gabriel.

"I know this has been a difficult time," assistant Montgomery County prosecutor Leon Daidone said in a consoling voice.

Green bit his lip, stared down at the table in front of him for several seconds and flexed muscles in his face as his voice cracked with emotion.

After answering questions and taking several pauses during the first 10 minutes, he appeared to regain his composure.

He testified for four hours.

More at link
Old 10-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Love your children....

He was just found guilty of both charges...they just said it on my local news.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Love your children....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...tnid=bn-100705

Christian Gabriel convicted in Erica Baker case

By Rob Modic

Dayton Daily News

DAYTON | Christian John Gabriel was convicted Friday of two felony charges in the disappearance of 9-year-old Erica Baker more than six years ago from a Kettering park.

Christian Gabriel convicted in Erica Baker case

A Montgomery County Common Pleas jury deliberated about three hours after it got the case at 2:05 p.m.

Gabriel was convicted of gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence.

more at link
Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 PM
A diamond in process

Conviction doesn't settle much in Erica Baker case

Authorities still have no body, confusing story and a silent attorney

Where is Erica Baker? Will we ever know?

The trial last week and conviction Friday of Christian John Gabriel on felonies connected with moving and concealing the girl's body — she is presumed dead — disclosed little to investigators.

"I don't think there were any new leads in the case," said Leon Daidone, assistant county prosecutor.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...1009erica.html

Old 10-10-2005, 05:03 PM
A diamond in process

Joe Abney of Riverside — second-degree black belt in martial arts, a Big Brother and father of two young sons — never expected the roller-coaster ride of raw emotions that charged through him as a juror in the trial of Christian John Gabriel in the disappearance of 9-year-old Erica Baker.

"I'm pretty level-headed," Abney said Saturday. "I had no idea the impact this would have on me ... From a personal standpoint, this has affected me tremendously."

Abney was one of five men on the 12-member jury that deliberated almost three hours Friday afternoon, then convicted Gabriel of tampering with evidence and gross abuse of a corpse.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Michael T. Hall immediately imposed the maximum combined sentence of six years on Gabriel, who cursed the judge and was hauled from the courtroom.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/photo...1009juror.html

Old 10-12-2005, 07:25 PM

Where were the roommates...the Butts...during the trial? Shouldn't they have testified? If they were in the back seat of the van then they would know what happened. I didn't see their names anywhere in the newspaper storys.
Only when this guy mentioned who all was in the van.

What about that attorney? Why won't she talk? That just doesn't make any sense to me. If her client told her that she was in the van when they hit Erica why won't that attorney just say so. If she was threatened like she says she was....the only people who could have threatened her and her children would be this person on trial or the Mr/Mrs. Butts who it is said were in the back seat of the van. This was a hit and run....not a murder. Why won't the attorney tell whateve Jan told her. Doesn't make any sense.

I think that a judge should tell that attorney....you start talking or kiss your bar license goodby for a certain lengh of time.

This bothers me:

The detective said in the first interview, Gabriel denied that he was driving the van that struck Baker. He then said that when Gabriel was interviewed a second time, he went along with police and said he was driving the van.

"he went along with police and said he was driving the van ." This guy can now turn around on appeal and say he was pushed into saying he was the driver. It will really be a mess if the attorney has to talk and she says Jan told her about the accident and that she was driving!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Former Member

I have checked up on this case off an on for quite a while- I am glad they found this scum bag guilty.

Does anyone know if they ever went to the park with a cadaver dog? It seems like they would have tried that to locate her body.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
A diamond in process

They have had a lot of searches at various sites. At one point when Gabriel allegedly confessed, he gave a couple of places that he supposedly buried the body. They have searched there also. One of the places is Ceaser's Creek Lake. That is a huge park, and would be difficult to search all of it, some of it is pretty rough terrain. I heard recently that they are still trying to get the atty to give up the info that her client told her, and she is still refusing.

A local attorney continues to fight to remain silent about what she may know about the disappearance of Erica Baker. For years, prosecutors have tried to get Beth Lewis to testify.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/5225413/d...s=day&psp=news

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=4062653

Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 AM

What is up with that female attorney??? Her client is dead....her client's boyfriend is in prison and I guess the Butt couple weren't important enough to put on the stand during the trial...although I can't imagine why not if they were in the van when it struck the little girl. Besides, they would have known who was driving unless they were passed out. It sounds like all 4 of the people in the van took the little girl to bury her.

That attorney should be told...by a judge who has some gutts...to tell what her client told her...period. Why a judge is letting an attorney call all of the shots is beyond me. If her client was alive it would make a difference but she is dead.

Did this take place in a little town with a rinky dink LE? So many things don't make sense to me from the Butts who should have been witnesses to the female attorney who is running her own show.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:06 PM
A diamond in process

Attorney agrees to testify in Erica Baker case

A former public defender has agreed to testify about what a former client may have told her about the 1999 disappearance of 9-year-old Erica Baker.

In announcing what ends a 3 1/2-year legal dispute, Montgomery County Prosecutor Mathias H. Heck Jr. said Beth Lewis' lawyers contacted him before noon Tuesday and said she was prepared to testify before a grand jury.

"She will appear before the grand jury on a date we will select" within 30 days, Heck said. He said he will not announce the date. Grand jury proceedings are not public.
http://www.middletownjournal.com/mon...0ericaweb.html

Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM

I'm really confused now. Why is this attorney going to testify before a Grand Jury now? The case is over. She's willing to testify after the trial is over? I would still like to know what happened to the Butts couple. Did they testify at the trial?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:17 AM
A diamond in process

I am not sure what all she will be testifying to, but hopefully she will give some info as to where Erica's remains can be found.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:56 PM

If she has known all along where that little girl is buried then she should be ashamed of herself for making Erica's parents wait all of this time to find their baby. She has kids herself....why didn't she put herself in the shoes of Erica's parents. That is horrible if that is what she has been keeping to herself.

On the other hand, maybe it was her client that was driving. I wonder if we will ever know what she has to say as she will be saying it to a Grand Jury.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:12 PM
A diamond in process

Past rumors have had it that the attorney's life and her children's lives were threatened. Don't think that ever came out in the media though.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:11 PM
A diamond in process

former federal public defender who prosecutors have wanted to question about the 1999 disappearance of a 9-year-old girl appeared before a grand jury on Tuesday.
It was not known whether attorney Beth Lewis testified about the disappearance of Erica Baker or whether Lewis would return.
Lewis has fought prosecutors who have wanted to question her about what a now-dead client may have told her about the girl. She claimed the conversations with her client were confidential, even though the client's husband waived that privilege and courts have ruled against her.
Lewis was behind closed doors at the grand jury offices for about 90 minutes. She declined to comment as she left.
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/13701543.htm

http://www.whiotv.com/news/6407087/detail.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local...4ericaweb.html

Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
A diamond in process

Beth Lewis Goes To Grand Jury In the Erica Baker Case

It took three years and decisions from a dozen judges to make it happen. On Tuesday, Beth Lewis appeared before a Grand Jury to answer questions about the disappearance of Erica Baker.

Now prosecutors may finally know what Lewis knows about the Baker case, but that information, if any, is still a secret.

"We cannot comment on the usefulness, or lack of usefulness, or substance, or lack of substance of any witnesses testimony," explained Assistant Prosecutor Leon Daidone.
http://www.wdtn.com/dsp_story.cfm?storyid=22442

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Attorney Says Evidence Lacking In Missing-Girl Case

The attorney for a man convicted of charges in the 1999 disappearance of a 9-year-old girl told an appeals court that his client was denied a fair trial because the only evidence against him is his own statements.

Attorney Mark Fisher told the 2nd Ohio District Court of Appeals on Tuesday that there is no physical evidence that ties Christian Gabriel, 35, of Springfield, to the disappearance of Erica Baker.

Fisher also said the prosecution can't prove that the crimes of which Gabriel was convicted actually occurred because the girl's body has never been found.

In October 2005, Gabriel was sentenced to six years in prison after a jury found him guilty of abuse of a corpse and evidence tampering in the girl's disappearance.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...e/16427328.htm
Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Christian Gabriel To Be Resentenced In Erica Baker Case

The only person convicted in the disappearance of Erica Baker more than eight years ago will have to be resentenced for his crimes.

Christian Gabriel is currently serving time in prison for gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. On Friday, he won part of a seven-part appeal.

An opinion handed down by the Court Of Appeals said a portion of the state sentencing statute read by the judge in Gabriel’s original trial was unconstitutional.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/11096504/...s=day&psp=news