Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion > 1990's Missing

Notices

1990's Missing Persons missing from the 1990's

Old 12-11-2005, 03:14 AM

HI - Reuben Gallegos, 19, Pearl Harbor, 1992 - Man convicted of murder

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...67/detail.html

HONOLULU -- The attorney general's office has charged a man with murder in the case of a man who disappeared 13 years ago.Reuben Gallegos disappeared along with $80,000 from the Navy Exchange. His body was never found. Gallegos was 19 years old at the time.
[...]
Gallegos was a cashier at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange. On May 1, 1992, $80,000 was taken.
Jenaro Torres, a base security guard, was arrested. In his car, officials found stolen money, Gallegos' ID and a gun with spent rounds. Despite several efforts, Gallegos' body was never found.

I can't even find a picture of Reuben, so I can't profile him on the Charley Project. I wish I could. He deserves to be remembered, and this is the first time I've even heard of the guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to meggilyweggily For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 AM
A diamond in process

This is an interesting story. They had enough evidence back then to convict him of robbery, but not of kidnapping? I understand that it difficult to convict someone of murder when you don't have a body, but why couldn't they get him on kidnapping? That likely would have gotten him a longer sentence than robbery. Wonder what the evidence is is it isn't the his body or an eyewitness? DNA or a forgotten fingerprint? A murder weapon?
I hope they catch this guy soon.

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 12-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Joy comes in the Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriew
This is an interesting story.I hope they catch this guy soon.
I hope they do to...
Old 12-11-2005, 08:55 AM

relatives might have a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
. . .I can't even find a picture of Reuben, so I can't profile him on the Charley Project. I wish I could. He deserves to be remembered, and this is the first time I've even heard of the guy.
Maybe you can find relatives to get a pic. There is only one name exactly like his listed in the yahoo people search so maybe they are related.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwho3
Maybe you can find relatives to get a pic. There is only one name exactly like his listed in the yahoo people search so maybe they are related.
I shouldn't want to make an unsolicited contact to a relative, though. A lot of them have a very hard time talking about the disappearance and just want to be left alone.

Maybe there'll be more news about the upcoming trial, with that, a picture of Reuben.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 AM

Defense: Murder Victim Gallegos Is Alive

The defense team in a 15-year-old murder case hopes to prove in court that the murder victim is not dead, but only missing.

Not only is he missing, but 19-year-old Ruben Gallegos also was a willing accomplice in the 1992 robbery that caused his disappearance, Deputy Public Defender Ed Harada argued during opening arguments.

Jenaro Torres, 58, faces a second-degree murder charge for the May 1, 1992, disappearance of Gallegos. The body was never found, but Torres was later found with Gallegos' belongings and $78,000. The jury trial began yesterday morning in Circuit Court.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/14/news/story08.html
Old 04-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Does anyone know how this trial went?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:03 AM

He was convicted. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...gos_ruben.html
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 PM

Twenty years ago...