Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Darlie Routier

Notices

Darlie Routier Darlie Routier is on death row, convicted of murdering her two sons. Darlie claims that an intruder attacked her and the boys and is responsible. Many feel Darlie deserves a new trial. Discuss it here.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

Murderer, Selfish, Liar

I can't say I know Darlies' motive for killing her babies, but what I can say is that whatever she was feeling or thinking that night, whether she had rowed with Darrin, or was feeling unloved, unwanted, worried about finances or whatever, she proved herself to be the definition of many things: murderer, selfish, liar, and I'm sure you'll all add to that!

Whatever her problems were that night, they could have been resolved, if it was financial she could have downsized her house, if it was Darrin, she could have kicked him to the kerb, life does go on after divorce! Killing her children was NOT the answer as we all know, but her materialistic and selfish nature told her otherwise.......

As a mother myself I am a firm believer of 'my children come first', whether this is everyone elses opinion or not, that is the way I am, I say this becase I have a friend who disagrees with me.

I was once in a position between my marriages whereby it was very hard to 'make ends meet', lying awake at night worrying where the next meal was coming come from. But..... what I am saying is my first and foremost priority was always my children as I am sure it would be the same with you all.

As down as I was at times, it never ever entered my head to harm my children to get out of the rut I was in, quite the opposite; I put myself last, after the children. There must be thousands of Mums out there who have been in a 'not so comfortable position' and I'll bet killing their babies never entered their heads.
In fact my husband has a saying about me; 'Kick the kids and Tracey limps'

For as long as I live I could never ever comprehend a mother who could harm a hair on her childrens head, never mind kill them. I know this does happen where the Mum is mentally ill, but Darlie hasn't been diagnosed as mentally ill has she?

I am sorry if this sounded like a bit of a biography but today I am feeling really angry with Darlie and wish I could visit her and tell her what I think!! There...... I've finished now!!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Former Member

All of us who have followed this case have had those same thoughts. I thinkk mental illness does play a part in many cases where the parent murders a child, but evil is all that was involved here. Evil and pure selfishness.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:07 PM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Duffield
I can't say I know Darlies' motive for killing her babies, but what I can say is that whatever she was feeling or thinking that night, whether she had rowed with Darrin, or was feeling unloved, unwanted, worried about finances or whatever, she proved herself to be the definition of many things: murderer, selfish, liar, and I'm sure you'll all add to that!

Whatever her problems were that night, they could have been resolved, if it was financial she could have downsized her house, if it was Darrin, she could have kicked him to the kerb, life does go on after divorce! Killing her children was NOT the answer as we all know, but her materialistic and selfish nature told her otherwise.......

As a mother myself I am a firm believer of 'my children come first', whether this is everyone elses opinion or not, that is the way I am, I say this becase I have a friend who disagrees with me.

I was once in a position between my marriages whereby it was very hard to 'make ends meet', lying awake at night worrying where the next meal was coming come from. But..... what I am saying is my first and foremost priority was always my children as I am sure it would be the same with you all.

As down as I was at times, it never ever entered my head to harm my children to get out of the rut I was in, quite the opposite; I put myself last, after the children. There must be thousands of Mums out there who have been in a 'not so comfortable position' and I'll bet killing their babies never entered their heads.

For as long as I live I could never ever comprehend a mother who could harm a hair on her childrens head, never mind kill them. I know this does happen where the Mum is mentally ill, but Darlie hasn't been diagnosed as mentally ill has she?

I am sorry if this sounded like a bit of a biography but today I am feeling really angry with Darlie and wish I could visit her and tell her what I think!! There...... I've finished now!!
Good post Tracey. Don't worry about the bio. We all run on about ourselves on here. It's a good way to get a better look at Darlie's mothering skills.

So I held my head up high
Hiding hate that burns inside
Which only fuels their selfish pride
We're all held captive
Out from the sun
A sun that shines on only some
We the meek are all in one
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesy
Good post Tracey. Don't worry about the bio. We all run on about ourselves on here. It's a good way to get a better look at Darlie's mothering skills.
Thank you Beesy, just didn't want to be sending any of you to sleep! Zzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-30-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Excellent post. However, you sound unselfish and sane. I don't think Darlie had those qualities. She put herself first always. JMO
Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Former Member

Quote:

You mentioned down sizing the house. First of all, it wasn't that big. Second, the house was fairly cheap. Nice houses are a dime a dozen here in Texas. I think it was something to do with Darin. To get even??....for what I don't know. Maybe she was jealous of the attention fathers show their sons. (I am just throwing stuff out here.) Maybe JDP has hit the nail on the head. Maybe she is just a few fries short of a happy meal. However, I don't think she was going to kick Darin anywhere. She needed him because it appears he worshiped her. He thought the moon and stars were here for her pleasure. Nope....he wasn't going to go anywhere. Those two did those kids. Plain and simple. I think we here at WS have a hard time figuring them out because we all try to think like NORMAL people. We try to put ourselves in her place and think...now why would I have done that if I were her....or what would ever make me do such a thing? And there lies the problem! None of us would do such a horrible thing....heck, I don't even think such a thing would EVER CROSS OUR MINDS. That is why I believe we are always left with the...what the H*LL really went on in that house?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:14 AM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassnuboots
Excellent post. However, you sound unselfish and sane. I don't think Darlie had those qualities. She put herself first always. JMO
I think that's the point she Tracey was making

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 12-31-2005, 12:18 AM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

[quote=deandaniellws]
Quote:
Maybe she is just a few fries short of a happy meal
Ha Ha good one

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 12-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Thanks beesy.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:25 AM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandaniellws
Thanks beesy.
have you noticed that everybody says Beesy even though I write my name beesy?

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 12-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Former Member

Quote:
have you noticed that everybody says Beesy even though I write my name beesy?
No...but I always laugh when I see your logo...stop blowing holes in my ship! I love it. I feel like saying that every now and then.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:55 AM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

Quote:
No...but I always laugh when I see your logo...stop blowing holes in my ship! I love it. I feel like saying that every now and then.
It's a quote from Pirates of the Carribean. Capt. Jack Sparrow says it(Johnny Depp ) He means it literally, but I think it applies well here. You know: STOP BLOWING HOLES IN MY THEORIES.. tee hee.. is that how you took it?

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Former Member

Quote:
It's a quote from Pirates of the Carribean. Capt. Jack Sparrow says it(Johnny Depp http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_3_2.gif) He means it literally, but I think it applies well here. You know: STOP BLOWING HOLES IN MY THEORIES.. tee hee.. is that how you took it?
Yep...and that is why I thought it was soooo funny! I have not see that movie.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You mentioned down sizing the house. First of all, it wasn't that big. Second, the house was fairly cheap. Nice houses are a dime a dozen here in Texas. I think it was something to do with Darin. To get even??....for what I don't know. Maybe she was jealous of the attention fathers show their sons. (I am just throwing stuff out here.) Maybe JDP has hit the nail on the head. Maybe she is just a few fries short of a happy meal. However, I don't think she was going to kick Darin anywhere. She needed him because it appears he worshiped her. He thought the moon and stars were here for her pleasure. Nope....he wasn't going to go anywhere. Those two did those kids. Plain and simple. I think we here at WS have a hard time figuring them out because we all try to think like NORMAL people. We try to put ourselves in her place and think...now why would I have done that if I were her....or what would ever make me do such a thing? And there lies the problem! None of us would do such a horrible thing....heck, I don't even think such a thing would EVER CROSS OUR MINDS. That is why I believe we are always left with the...what the H*LL really went on in that house?
Materialistic people go for the short term high. Maybe it is as simple as Darlie and maybe Darin too thinking the $10,000 of insurance money could be juggled around to finance their summer plans. I have often thought they thought they could capitalize on the deaths for a long term financial boost, but maybe it was just the opposite. Maybe the goal was simply to cover summer expenses with the insurance money and by time on paying the funeral expenses. Or maybe they thought people would feel so sorry for them, they would donate a bunch of money and they'd end up with enough to do both...bury the kids and cover summer fun. <chills> Surely they weren't that shortsighted, but then again maybe they were. <ponder, ponder> However, there was enough evidence of mental problems for it to be just a coincidence. I do tend to agree with you though that the two parents "did the kids." I think the motive is wrapped all around money. We just have to figure out from what angle.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
Old 12-31-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody
Materialistic people go for the short term high. Maybe it is as simple as Darlie and maybe Darin too thinking the $10,000 of insurance money could be juggled around to finance their summer plans. I have often thought they thought they could capitalize on the deaths for a long term financial boost, but maybe it was just the opposite. Maybe the goal was simply to cover summer expenses with the insurance money and by time on paying the funeral expenses. Or maybe they thought people would feel so sorry for them, they would donate a bunch of money and they'd end up with enough to do both...bury the kids and cover summer fun. <chills> Surely they weren't that shortsighted, but then again maybe they were. <ponder, ponder> However, there was enough evidence of mental problems for it to be just a coincidence. I do tend to agree with you though that the two parents "did the kids." I think the motive is wrapped all around money. We just have to figure out from what angle.
So it was easier to kill the kids than to pawn some of that jewelry or sell the jag (which I'm not sure if it was in need of repair). You know, there was just so much overkill in the boys deaths that it somehow doesn't seem to fit with a murder for financial gain. Then again......
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 PM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

Quote:
So it was easier to kill the kids than to pawn some of that jewelry or sell the jag (which I'm not sure if it was in need of repair). You know, there was just so much overkill in the boys deaths that it somehow doesn't seem to fit with a murder for financial gain. Then again......
The Jag WAS in the shop and Darlie's jewelry was not worth THAT much money. I think Goody is oversimplifying it. Darlie's lifestyle was very important to her. They had just been turned down for a very small loan of only $5,000. Did you know money problems are the 2nd leading cause of divorce in the US? Couples blame each other. It makes for some nasty fighting. Been there, done that. Not divorce, but fighting about money. The Routiers' cash flow was dropping and dropping. With all of the other things we've talked about that Darlie had going on, her perception of the money issue was skewed I think. Money didn't make her freak out just that one night. It had been on her mind for a long time. If money were the ONLY reason, they'd have bought more life insurance for the boys or she might have tried to kill Darin. But I think it put her in a certain state of mind. People are killed for money all the time. It makes no sense at all, but it happens. I think money was the base for her anger. Darlie also liked to party and was being dragged down by these boys who were becoming rowdier as they grew up. Something made her snap that night. She went from worrying about her lifestyle, annoyed with the boys, her brain being messed up from the diet pills, etc to a killer. I think the argument with Darin did it, made her cross that line.

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Last edited by beesy; 01-01-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Former Member

Quote:

I agree. The insurance money wasn't the motive, IMO. I think it was rage. I think the Jag was broken down at the time of the murders and had been for some time).
Old 12-31-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The Jag WAS in the shop and Darlie's jewelry was not worth THAT much money. I think Goody is oversimplifying it. Darlie's lifestyle was very important to her. They had just been turned down for a very small loan of only $5,000. Did you know money problems are the 2nd leading cause of divorce in the US? Couples blame each other. It makes for some nasty fighting. Been there, done that. Not divorce, but fighting about money. The Routiers cash flow was dropping and dropping. With all of the other things we've talked about that Darlie had going on, her perception of the money issue was skewed I think. Money didn't make her freak out just that one night. It had been on her mind for a long time. If money were the ONLY reason, they'd have bought more life insurance for the boys or she might have tried to kill Darin. But I think it put her in a certain state of mind. People are killed for money all the time. It makes no sense at all, but it happens. I think money was the base for her anger. Darlie also liked to party and was being dragged down by these boys who were becoming rowdier as they grew up. Something made her snap that night. She went from worrying about her lifestyle, annoyed with the boys, her brain being messed up from the diet pills, etc to a killer. I think the argument with Darin did it, made her cross that line.
Thank you for taking the time to type all that out. Your argument makes logical sense to me. It definitely has merit. I can see now where money could have been the base of her anger, in fact most likely was the base of her anger, but it was not anger over a particular money problem that made her snap that night. Yup, rowdy boys (or girls) can get anyone down who has other things on their mind besides being a patient and loving mother.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to type all that out. Your argument makes logical sense to me. It definitely has merit. I can see now where money could have been the base of her anger, in fact most likely was the base of her anger, but it was not anger over a particular money problem that made her snap that night. Yup, rowdy boys (or girls) can get anyone down who has other things on their mind besides being a patient and loving mother.

I think you've misunderstood Beesy's explanation. I think it WAS over money, but not a specific thing. Meaning, she wasn't thinking solely about the insurance policy. Months and months of overdue notices coming in from bill collectors, the mortgage payments being months overdue, loan denied, business failing, Darin working long hours trying to get the business back where it was, Darlie not being able to life the lifestyle she was used to, Darlie being at home with no car with three boys all day while Darin was out doing his thing (even if his thing was just work), Darlie having the baby blues, Darlie feeling "fat" (even if she wasn't really), Darlie not sleeping well, Darlie not being able to take that trip she wanted . . . and on and on and on. One thing after another and it all boiled down to money. So, I guess money could be the "motive" as a whole, but it was frustration, anger and rage that made her actually snap that night. I also believe that she was used to telling Darin that she wanted a divorce, was going to leave him, blah, blah, blah and was used to him begging her to stay, forgive him, blah, blah, blah, but I think this time he was frustrated too and he probably told her "fine" or maybe even "fine, get the "F out, and she lost it.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
I think you've misunderstood Beesy's explanation. I think it WAS over money, but not a specific thing. Meaning, she wasn't thinking solely about the insurance policy. Months and months of overdue notices coming in from bill collectors, the mortgage payments being months overdue, loan denied, business failing, Darin working long hours trying to get the business back where it was, Darlie not being able to life the lifestyle she was used to, Darlie being at home with no car with three boys all day while Darin was out doing his thing (even if his thing was just work), Darlie having the baby blues, Darlie feeling "fat" (even if she wasn't really), Darlie not sleeping well, Darlie not being able to take that trip she wanted . . . and on and on and on. One thing after another and it all boiled down to money. So, I guess money could be the "motive" as a whole, but it was frustration, anger and rage that made her actually snap that night. I also believe that she was used to telling Darin that she wanted a divorce, was going to leave him, blah, blah, blah and was used to him begging her to stay, forgive him, blah, blah, blah, but I think this time he was frustrated too and he probably told her "fine" or maybe even "fine, get the "F out, and she lost it.
Wow, cool, that's exactly what I was saying

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 01-01-2006, 02:08 AM
myspace.com/beesy_boo

[quote=Jeana (DP)]
Quote:
I think it WAS over money, but not a specific thing. Meaning, she wasn't thinking solely about the insurance policy. Months and months of overdue notices coming in from bill collectors, the mortgage payments being months overdue, loan denied, business failing, Darin working long hours trying to get the business back where it was
I think not being approved for that loan was very humilating to both of them. $5,000 isn't really that much. It probably hit her very hard. I don't think that the insurance money for each boy being the same amount means anything, but just getting turned down was probably quite a blow. I think they had lots of their money tied up in "things", various loans, mortgage, business overhead, credit cards. Being rejected for, in her mind, a measly 5 grand meant that their lifestyle was slipping away. You need cash to pay all of those bills. Don't forget utility bills, health insurance, car insurance, life insurance payments. They were losing control over everything, groceries, clothes now for 5 people, diapers, it goes on and on....

We're all held captive
Out from the sun
Creed
My Own Prison

Old 01-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Banned

I agree, to be turned down for a $5000 loan is indicative of a really low credit score. Most people with good credit can get $5000 on a signature- only loan. I did it once when I was about 22 years old.

I keep wondering, and have never seen an explanation which covers this:
IF Darlie killed the two older boys as a jury has declared, and IF she was angry, depressed, stressed, having post- partum depression ( some of the things posted on this thread), then WHY didn't she single out the weakest person in the household, the baby, OR kill the person she was probably the most POed at for not keeping up their payments and household needs, her husband?

About the $10,000 life insurance policies on the boys: I have to wonder if neither of the Routiers had relatives who would loan them at least that much if not more?

Also, when it comes to planning criminal ways to get money, isn't Darrin the one who came up with an arson scam plan, not carried out?
Darlie did seem very naive.

The sticking points for me are these, although I accept that there is no evidence of any intruder:
I don't think she is smart enough to have made the defensive bruises and cuts on her own arms, and I don't think she had what it would take in sheer will and endurance ( not to mention luck) to cut her own neck to a millimeter away from a major artery. She seemed to be vain, which is not unusual in her circle and age group, I suppose
Was suicide on her mind when she cut her neck? If so, why didn't she take an overdose of something? A bottle of Tylenol will kill an adult, and from what I have read, they did have legal and illegal drugs in their house.

Why do any/ all of you think that Darrin was not the one who fought with Darlie, cut her neck, and kllled the boys? ( I am not sure in what order things would have been done according to the blood evidence, but it seems from what I have read that maybe her throat was cut between the two boys being stabbed. )
We've read about mothers who kill- Susan Smith and Andrea Yates drowned their children. Many deaths which were classified as SIDS deaths of children are now being classified as murders.
I understand that mothers do kill. But slashing one's own " pretty" self like that, and stabbing the boys so many times seems more like a male rage, like an OJ Simpson male hormone and drug rage thing to me.

Why is it not possible that Darrin killed the boys and stabbed Darlie and she was absolutely too dumb at the time to realize that the " intruder" she waffled about and never gave a good answer about was actually him?
A person who is as naive as I thinki she was ( even if she is a cold blooded murderer) and who is experiencing extreme trauma is probably not going to make the leap to a spouse almost killing them and killing two of their children for quite a while. I am not defending her, but the facts are that she experienced severe and sustained trauma from the night of the murders until after she was sentenced, because she was arrested very shortly after the murders. I think the memorial birthday party video was the clincher. I think her defense team should have insisted that the entire tape was played, which showed the memorial service before the birthday part. Also, Darin didn't seem too broken up at the cemetary either, from what part of the same video captures I have seen. Why was his demeanor not questioned too? As I recall, there weren't a bunch of crying people huddled around while Darlie jumped in and sprayed Silly String around, they were all holding balloons or participating in some way with her. Weren't they?

don't think anyone on her defense team even looked closely at Darin for quite some time, and it seems that the police and prosecution never considered him as a suspect. I wonder WHY NOT,

I am not trying to cause any hurt or anger, I feel the same things when I read about this case, and I also have a lot of confusion because taking ALL kinds of pathology into account, I still wonder if Darin wasn't the rage- filled aggressor who snapped under the financial and marital strain.

Murder is always tragic and senseless, but I have a harder time with this case and verdict than any other I have ever discussed. I am very sorry that I do wonder if there was a rush to judgment in Texas.

Thanks for reading my post.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkoflaura
I agree, to be turned down for a $5000 loan is indicative of a really low credit score. Most people with good credit can get $5000 on a signature- only loan. I did it once when I was about 22 years old.

I keep wondering, and have never seen an explanation which covers this:
IF Darlie killed the two older boys as a jury has declared, and IF she was angry, depressed, stressed, having post- partum depression ( some of the things posted on this thread), then WHY didn't she single out the weakest person in the household, the baby, OR kill the person she was probably the most POed at for not keeping up their payments and household needs, her husband?

About the $10,000 life insurance policies on the boys: I have to wonder if neither of the Routiers had relatives who would loan them at least that much if not more?

Also, when it comes to planning criminal ways to get money, isn't Darrin the one who came up with an arson scam plan, not carried out?
Darlie did seem very naive.

The sticking points for me are these, although I accept that there is no evidence of any intruder:
I don't think she is smart enough to have made the defensive bruises and cuts on her own arms, and I don't think she had what it would take in sheer will and endurance ( not to mention luck) to cut her own neck to a millimeter away from a major artery. She seemed to be vain, which is not unusual in her circle and age group, I suppose
Was suicide on her mind when she cut her neck? If so, why didn't she take an overdose of something? A bottle of Tylenol will kill an adult, and from what I have read, they did have legal and illegal drugs in their house.

Why do any/ all of you think that Darrin was not the one who fought with Darlie, cut her neck, and kllled the boys? ( I am not sure in what order things would have been done according to the blood evidence, but it seems from what I have read that maybe her throat was cut between the two boys being stabbed. )
We've read about mothers who kill- Susan Smith and Andrea Yates drowned their children. Many deaths which were classified as SIDS deaths of children are now being classified as murders.
I understand that mothers do kill. But slashing one's own " pretty" self like that, and stabbing the boys so many times seems more like a male rage, like an OJ Simpson male hormone and drug rage thing to me.

Why is it not possible that Darrin killed the boys and stabbed Darlie and she was absolutely too dumb at the time to realize that the " intruder" she waffled about and never gave a good answer about was actually him?
A naive person probably who is experiencing extreme trauma is probably not going to make the leap to a spouse almost killing them and killing two of their children for quite a while. I don't think anyone on her defense team even looked closely at him for quite some time, and it seems that the police and prosecution never considered him as a suspect. I wonder WHY NOT,

I am not trying to cause any hurt or anger, I feel the same things when I read about this case, and I also have a lot of confusion because taking ALL kinds of pathology into account, I still wonder if Darin wasn't the rage- filled aggressor who snapped under the financial and marital strain.

I agree the loan turndown would have been galling. Jeana's excellent post above, #19 I think, really put things in perspective for me. Made a lot of sense. She spelled out facts that I was not aware of, all the late notices and such. Just didn't think of it. I can't see how Darin could have done the stabbings, although I have often wondered how she stabbed her right arm because I think she was right handed. But considered it as one of those unknowns. Too much other evidence, like the knife inside the house, the cast off blood on the back of her nightshirt, her barefoot prints in the blood, the sink clean up, and the 911 call, makes me believe it was Darlie who killed the boys. Perhaps Darin got involved at some point and helped kill Damon and aided her in slicing her neck, but the bulk of the guilt I think goes to Darlie. Maybe after all her appeals are over and she has gotten the needle, Darin will tell us all what really happened. If he can do so without incriminating himself. JMO
Old 01-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Former Member

I agree with you Thinkoflaura. If Darlie did actually did it I wonder if she was Bipolar. But I think it may have been Darrin, and Darlie was and still may be traumatized and in shock and cannot recall what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkoflaura

A person who is as naive as I thinki she was ( even if she is a cold blooded murderer) and who is experiencing extreme trauma is probably not going to make the leap to a spouse almost killing them and killing two of their children for quite a while. I am not defending her, but the facts are that she experienced severe and sustained trauma from the night of the murders until after she was sentenced, because she was arrested very shortly after the murders. I think the memorial birthday party video was the clincher. I think her defense team should have insisted that the entire tape was played, which showed the memorial service before the birthday part. Also, Darin didn't seem too broken up at the cemetary either, from what part of the same video captures I have seen. Why was his demeanor not questioned too? As I recall, there weren't a bunch of crying people huddled around while Darlie jumped in and sprayed Silly String around, they were all holding balloons or participating in some way with her. Weren't they?

Old 01-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree the loan turndown would have been galling. Jeana's excellent post above, #19 I think, really put things in perspective for me. Made a lot of sense. She spelled out facts that I was not aware of, all the late notices and such. Just didn't think of it. I can't see how Darin could have done the stabbings, although I have often wondered how she stabbed her right arm because I think she was right handed. But considered it as one of those unknowns. Too much other evidence, like the knife inside the house, the cast off blood on the back of her nightshirt, her barefoot prints in the blood, the sink clean up, and the 911 call, makes me believe it was Darlie who killed the boys. Perhaps Darin got involved at some point and helped kill Damon and aided her in slicing her neck, but the bulk of the guilt I think goes to Darlie. Maybe after all her appeals are over and she has gotten the needle, Darin will tell us all what really happened. If he can do so without incriminating himself. JMO
All of the stressors on Darlie were on Darrin too. Plus, he was the breadwinner of the family. More was expected of him. The bill collectors were after HIM to pay up, since he was the one with an income.

How do the things you mentioned point to Darlie and away from Darrin? I don't see how it does at all. You mentioned the the kinife was from the house- he had access to it too. You mentioned that SOMEONE inside the house used something to clean their hands or another object in the sink- why not Darrin instead of Darlie? He was all over the boys- but was Darlie's blood on his hands? Isn't it weird if sampling showed that none of her blood was on his hands? She was bleeding, apparently heavily, and yes, she moved around without shoes on in the middle of the night, and yes, she called 911 after picking up the bloody knife. Most murderers do not want to be the one who calls and reports the crime.

What about Darrin's physical evidence? His bloody clothing? Was it tested too? Were assumptions made about his clothing which are scientifically based? If so, I have never seen the reports.
Also, did he take a polygraph and are the results known?
If he was involved in some way, even if it was with Darlie, then shouldn't he be in prison on death row as well?

There is so much more that I don't KNOW about this case than what I have read. I still wonder why a woman, if stressed over motherhood and with a baby to care for 24/7 while the other boys were old enough at the time to be going to pre-school or daycare, would not eliminate the biggest burden first by killing the baby. He was the weakest, yet he lived. So did the strongest person in the household and the one with a great deal to lose and possibly many years of chld support to pay in a divorce. If they lost their house, boat, other assets, I think Darlie would have left Darrin without a backwards glance. Darrin must have been very desperate if he did plot to have his house burned down. It was supposed to be their dream house, wasn't it?

Darlie was young and attractive, and she had recently learned what having money and luxury things felt like. She would have had no problem finding a successful man, if easy money and a man's love were her goals.

I wonder if the case was looked at closely for the possibility of Darrin's involvement because of Darlie's wounds to her inner arm areas and certainly because of the severe neck wound, and because the baby wasn't killed..
Did a psychiatrist give any testimony about why a young woman who had her hair bleached from very dark brown to light blonde, had surgically augmented her breasts, wore expensive things and apparently took great care of herself would inflict a serious injury to herself which could have resulted in death and had to have hurt a lot? What about the fact that she could easily have had or may have a large scar on her neck from a self-inflicted slashing? Does that fit in with a rather flashy, probably vain young woman's way of thinking?