Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Darlie Routier

Notices

Darlie Routier Darlie Routier is on death row, convicted of murdering her two sons. Darlie claims that an intruder attacked her and the boys and is responsible. Many feel Darlie deserves a new trial. Discuss it here.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody
Well, I have your first book in my shopping cart at Amazon.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Quote:
You got some good reader reviews.

I've had many people tell me that once they started reading "Blind Sight", they couldn't put it down. So, I've gotten into the habit of telling people, "Don't start reading it if you've got anything important to do." (Now, hopefully, it will live up to that hype as you read it!)

Quote:
When did you say this current book is coming out?
"The Angel" releases nationwide on April 30. It should be available in both Christian and mainstream bookstores. However, in mainstream stores such as B&N, it will be classified as Christian or religious fiction and will be relegated back to the "Inspirational" dungeon where not many people will see it unless they're specifically looking for it. Sigh.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPence
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

I've had many people tell me that once they started reading "Blind Sight", they couldn't put it down. So, I've gotten into the habit of telling people, "Don't start reading it if you've got anything important to do." (Now, hopefully, it will live up to that hype as you read it!)

"The Angel" releases nationwide on April 30. It should be available in both Christian and mainstream bookstores. However, in mainstream stores such as B&N, it will be classified as Christian or religious fiction and will be relegated back to the "Inspirational" dungeon where not many people will see it unless they're specifically looking for it. Sigh.
Well, we know about it. You should have a website promoting yourself and the books, too. Esp now that you have two under your belt. If you do have one, let us know where to find you.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Well, we know about it. You should have a website promoting yourself and the books, too. Esp now that you have two under your belt. If you do have one, let us know where to find you.
I have a site, but it's little more than a skeleton at the moment, and not much content. I've been redesigning it to focus on my new book, and have completed the structure. But I still need to give it some substance.

However, at least you can see the cover for the new book, if nothing else.

The address is: www.jameshpence.com

Old 01-29-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I have a site, but it's little more than a skeleton at the moment, and not much content. I've been redesigning it to focus on my new book, and have completed the structure. But I still need to give it some substance.

However, at least you can see the cover for the new book, if nothing else.

The address is: www.jameshpence.com
Put you in my favorites.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
Old 01-29-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Put you in my favorites.
Thank you!

Old 01-31-2006, 06:04 AM

Hey Jim,

Just wanted to let you know that after checking out 'Blind Sight' on amazon I'll be looking for it in every bookstore I pass to see if I can grab a copy whilst I am holidays in the UK Sounds great! Right up my alley!

Good luck with the upcoming book- hope all goes well!

PS. Lucky me- I got Mamma Darlie's autograph at no extra price too
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_T
Hey Jim,

Just wanted to let you know that after checking out 'Blind Sight' on amazon I'll be looking for it in every bookstore I pass to see if I can grab a copy whilst I am holidays in the UK Sounds great! Right up my alley!

Good luck with the upcoming book- hope all goes well!
Thanks, Dani!

Unfortunately, you probably won't find it in bookstores anymore. If you're a new, unknown author (like me), the average shelf life of a novel is only 3 months, and "Blind Sight" was released almost 3 years ago. I can't complain, though, as it had a good long run in the bookstores. It stayed on the shelves of mainstream stores for a year and of the Christian bookstores for a year and a half. And, of course, it's still available online.

If all else fails, you can always get a copy from yours truly. I'm working hard to buy out the publisher's remaining stock so that it will be declared out of print. When that happens, the rights revert to me. So, I have a case or two on hand.

My new publisher has already agreed to consider a proposal for a sequel to Blind Sight, and if that should happen, they might be willing to pick it up and re-release it.

Ah, the joys of publishing.

Jim

Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 AM

Hey Jim,

I popped into Borders here in London yesterday but had no luck- they only had it in the US (which means I won't have any luck back home in Oz either). So I might need to either order it from Amazon or buy it from you. It's great that it had such a good run in the bookstores I'm keen to read a well written Christian novel (and NO the Da Vinci code never counted in that arena!!!!) and this sounds like a great one
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Keep your fork......

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if he even wrote it. He could just be a front man, you know. They say he was once a publisher of a small newspaper in the area. You'd think someone like that would write much better than what is in that book. Hard to say though. Maybe he just sold ads in his paper and let someone else do the writing. Darin was said to have bragged that Darlie was going to write their story so they could cut the middle man out. Who knows? Maybe that mess in that book is her handiwork. To be honest, I didn't even read it. The little bitty print and red ink got on my nerves. LOL!
Rumour has it that Darin gave a lot of information to Don Davis author of Hush Little Babies. Also, that Davis did not consult with the state to learn their evidence they had against her. Perhaps that's why his book is biased toward her. Although he never really comes out and gives his opinion on her guilt or innocence only that he believes her trial was unfair.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cami
Rumour has it that Darin gave a lot of information to Don Davis author of Hush Little Babies. Also, that Davis did not consult with the state to learn their evidence they had against her. Perhaps that's why his book is biased toward her. Although he never really comes out and gives his opinion on her guilt or innocence only that he believes her trial was unfair.
Don Davis is a reporter and it is obvious reading his book that a lot of his info came from the family. However, he is the one who found a neighbor talking about the thong bikini and the garage sales. I didn't get the impression he apporved of much of what Darlie did, but he did seem to be biased in her favor at times. Or maybe it shows more in his comments against the state if you know what I mean. They did break some rules, I think. Well, maybe not break them but sort of hinged up on the borderline in a couple of areas. Still many of those can probably be explained away by something else, so who knows? I am all into this Cody Posey case right now and not thinking too much about Darlie.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Dani!

Unfortunately, you probably won't find it in bookstores anymore. If you're a new, unknown author (like me), the average shelf life of a novel is only 3 months, and "Blind Sight" was released almost 3 years ago. I can't complain, though, as it had a good long run in the bookstores. It stayed on the shelves of mainstream stores for a year and of the Christian bookstores for a year and a half. And, of course, it's still available online.

If all else fails, you can always get a copy from yours truly. I'm working hard to buy out the publisher's remaining stock so that it will be declared out of print. When that happens, the rights revert to me. So, I have a case or two on hand.

My new publisher has already agreed to consider a proposal for a sequel to Blind Sight, and if that should happen, they might be willing to pick it up and re-release it.

Ah, the joys of publishing.

Jim
Check out Amazon, Dani. You can get a new one for $10.??. I don't know if that is hardback or not.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Check out Amazon, Dani. You can get a new one for $10.??. I don't know if that is hardback or not.
Sorry, it's paperback. I'm not a big enough seller to warrant a hardcover release. Not yet, anyway!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry, it's paperback. I'm not a big enough seller to warrant a hardcover release. Not yet, anyway!
Well, shucks!! Say, do you know that Ann Rule's paperbacks she wrote under the name of Andy Stack are worth over $100.00 now? You never know.....

Old 02-04-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Well, shucks!! Say, do you know that Ann Rule's paperbacks she wrote under the name of Andy Stack are worth over $100.00 now? You never know.....
I don't even dare allow myself to think along those lines. I'd get ulcers.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that Grisham was practically giving away copies of "A Time to Kill" before he broke into the upper ranks. Care to imagine what one of those first editions are going for now?

Old 02-04-2006, 09:08 AM

ok im lazy

What book did you write Jim?
I kinda just scanned thru the thread but couldn't find the title?
I do like to read.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:38 PM

I'll debate that

The photos in the book show very little of the information I would still like to know.
The bloody handprint on the couch was in whose blood? Whose print was it?

The pillow Darlie was lying on was clearly evidence that she was cut on the throat while laying on it.

The blood on the t shirt was mainly hers and amounts found on her would be consistant with giving aid to her boys.

She did aid them she followed the directions given to her by Darin to place wet towels and dry towels on the wounds of the smaller child while he tried to give mouth to mouth to one child.

It was she who called 911
why even call if you are trying to kill your kids.
Just lay there and be a victim, make Darin call the one boy was still alive when the ambulance got there. Her mission hadn't been accomplished yet.

There is evidence of an intruder>

The photos do show boot prints on the carpet impressions.
Darlie was obsessive about the carpet--- trust me this is first hand knowledge. NO ONE wore shoes in the house.

No other "mother killer" has ever held out this long in denial she did it.

I've heard every diet pill freak theory as motive but to tell you truth Darlie is too Dumb for that.
Not don't get me wrong she isn't stupid. She could balance a check book enough to handle the business and home most of the time. She knew the A/R reports and Debits coming out. Everyone knows she liked to spend money.

Could she plan an execute this crime
If she killed for a profit why didn't she make one. Insurance 10,000
Funeral for your sons 14,000.
Possibly going to prison for it Priceless.

She lacks the forthought and intelligence to plan an execute this kind of thing. Frankly murder wouldn't cross her mind- she could torture you in other ways.

She wasn't mean spirited or anything like that. I used to baby sit her and she later baby sat for me. I've known Mama Darlie since I was 17. Darlie Lynn was a little girl and down right beautiful. Grown men would look twice at her when she was 7, just like her sons she has an angelic face.

She in no way fits the profile of women who kill their children. Knives were used in the crime and it is not very comman for a women of Darlie's ethnic and cultural profile to knife her children.

The numbers don't add up here that is what bothers me.
Every other women who has killed their children has confessed after much less time and pressure.
Why hasn't she.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.RattlesnakeJane
What book did you write Jim?
I kinda just scanned thru the thread but couldn't find the title?
I do like to read.
ALERT ALERT ALERT: The following is an off-topic post by a dull, boring, overweight, stultified novelist! (Sorry. Couldn't resist. )

Hi G.I.

I wear a lot of hats.
I'm full time in prison ministry in Texas. (I do gospel chalk drawings and musical programs for prison chapel services, and I administer a correspondence Bible course).

My second full time job is that of a writer. I've written six books. Three were on Web authoring and were published by McGraw-Hill. They're really exciting, provided you're interested in Web authoring. Otherwise, they're great if you have problems with insomnia.

The other three were/are my real writing passion. They're suspense thriller novels, written from a Christian worldview. One was a young adult novel that is currently out of print.

The one referred to in these posts is "Blind Sight" (published by Tyndale) an edge-of-your-seat thriller set in the mind control cults. It's still available on Amazon, but is in the process of going out of print.

My newest novel is titled "The Angel", (published by Kregel) and is set for a nationwide April 30 release. It's set against the backdrop of the euthanasia - physician assisted suicide movement and features a Kevorkian-esque serial killer who calls himself "The Angel of Mercy." You should be able to find it in most Christian bookstores and a good number of mainstream bookstores. But in the mainstreams, it would be tucked back in the "Inspirational" dungeon where no one will see it.

They make great stocking stuffers. Buy 20 or 30 for next Christmas. (And thanks for asking!)

Jim

ALERT ALERT ALERT: End of off-topic post.(I'm bad. Somebody smack me. )

Old 02-04-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I've heard every diet pill freak theory as motive but to tell you truth Darlie is too Dumb for that.
Not don't get me wrong she isn't stupid. She could balance a check book enough to handle the business and home most of the time. She knew the A/R reports and Debits coming out. Everyone knows she liked to spend money..
OK, I'm having trouble her deciding if you are saying she is dumb or not. Yes, she did investigate which diet pills to take, not just run out and start taking whatever. But then you say she can almost handle the bookkeeping. I don't see how the two relate. Not attacking what you said. Maybe further explanation?

Quote:
She lacks the forthought and intelligence to plan an execute this kind of thing. Frankly murder wouldn't cross her mind- she could torture you in other ways.

She wasn't mean spirited or anything like that. I used to baby sit her and she later baby sat for me. I've known Mama Darlie since I was 17. Darlie Lynn was a little girl and down right beautiful. Grown men would look twice at her when she was 7, just like her sons she has an angelic face.
OK, you have to explain the "torture you in other ways" further. That just sounds bad, whether it was meant to be or not.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:00 AM

G.I. Rattlesnake, a question

Wow, I just noticed that you live in Lubbock, Texas. Have you lived there all your life, or are you a transplant?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Got here quick as I could

Lubbockites are kinda proud of when they are born bred and raised here. A famous late cartoonist Dirk West described it best.

I wasn't born here but I got here quick as I could.

Parents moved to Lubbock when I was 2
I was born in Fabens Texas- try and find it on a map.
Went to school here and have moved away but keep coming back.
I guess I like our free dermal abrasion days in the spring, I attribute my youthful appearence to that yearly occurance.
Ok I read the threads and I'm going to read your book too Jim- Blind Sight right!!

Oh by the way this is funny considering your book title - I'm an Optician so maybe I'll really enjoy it.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Torture or TEASE

Darlie Lynn could be soo funny sometimes. Roll around in the floor slap your mama to make your sides quit aching from the laughter. Her torture abilities included an ability to make a person feel bad about something they said that hurt her feelings or was mean to someone she cared about.

I am the woman true overweight houswives hate. I am skinny eat what I want when I want and never gain weight. Mama Darlie and all my freinds have always greeted me with these types of terms of endearment-- You skinny ***** I hate you, 3 kids and you only weigh 10 more lbs than high school . You look 16 in the face forever and should be shot for making us look bad standing next to you. I'm not trying to be vain here folks my own personal idea of how good looking I am is more like- I'm not so ugly a guy would have to put a feedbag over my head to sleep with me, but I don't consider myself a drop dead gorgeous woman either. I've been married to the same guy since I was 17 and he still thinks I'm goodlooking enough to live with so his feelings about the matter are the only ones I put any real stock in.

Anyway the whole point here is we loved to act like we hated each other, a hug would always follow a put down and even to this day Mama Darlie calls me a skinny ***** and my response is How are you doing you old hag.

Darlie did have a good sense of humor and she could banter back and forth, getting personal sometimes but NEVER , NEVER, was she mean spirited.
Just from being around me as a childhood influence would be enough to make her smartalecky and silver tongued with a cut down. She is also a woman and we all have the ability to 'TORTURE'. Be it with a look or comment she was not unable to defend herself verbally and had enough self assurance she wouldn't have just put up with abuse from anyone. She was such a beautiful child and grew into a more beautiful teenager that as the women influence around her, we had to prepare her for men would only be attracted to her for her looks and possibly hurt her.

I know I taught her everything I know about TORTURE- You could ask my husband 'cept he doesn't like to chat on line I have a look I can give him that makes him feel like he is 5, in church, and he just farted in front of the whole congregation. Ladies it a skill no married woman should be without.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 PM

Daddy SAID

My father used to define two words for us.
Dumb- doing something you don't better not to do
Stupid- knowing better but doing it anyway.
Some mistakes we make in life are dumb others are stupid.

Darlie Lynn was very ignorant, she did not have any interest in Science, Arts, Cultures of other people she did not persue educational experiences, she didn't love learning- my sister will die with mutiple degrees in many areas because she loves learning. I can see her at age 70 still going to school for another degree. Like 5 aren't enough now.
She knew what she thought she needed to survive in this big bad world. She hated Advanced MATH but if you are going to pay your bills and not write hot checks you must learn how to balance a check book. When her husband started his business he taught her what she didn't know about business accounting but neither of them were C.P.A.'s. Darlie Lynn knew how to count the money as well as spend it. The house was not in foreclosure, the A/R report showed enough work already billed that the next months bills would also be paid for and Darin was still billing work being done and had lots to keep him busy in the next months. There were no real money problems THEY would have percieved.
That is a point in itself- to a person who doesn't live like they did and spend it like they did it was STUPID. I know better than to not have some mason jar for emergencies, I like it in the bank and I don't like to acquire stuff- means more expense and effort to maintain it.
Darlie Lynn didn't grow up in a rich household. She knew what it was to be poor. People who have always been rich have a lot harder time handling finicial adversity than those who became rich. The poor man knows he can survive because he did before the always rich know no other life.
My family became so poor that after Darlie Lynn and Mama Darlie knew what I and hubby had been thru we promised each other we would always be there in a case like mine.
You see at one time we ended up living in a quonset hut with a 55 gal barrell drum with a smokestack cut in it for heat. I shot rabbits for supper and cut my own wood with an axe and bow saw. We would not then, nor now, accept any medicaid or wellfare. I have the skills to survive, those programs are for people who don't. I scrounged for tin cans to recycle, and had 2 small children to provide for. I have been poor. I worked my way out of it. Darlie Lynn knew we would never let her, Darin her sisters her parents any of them end up in a situation like that. She admired me for my pluck and was amazed we had survived it. She came to understand too that I learned more about myself, my abilities and life in general than had I not gone thru it. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Darlie Lynn knew there were worse things in life besides being poor. She watched several of her parents friends make and lose fortunes. Everything from her childhood in Lubbock that I know about would have given her the strength to make it thru any money problems.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Lubbockites are kinda proud of when they are born bred and raised here. A famous late cartoonist Dirk West described it best.

I wasn't born here but I got here quick as I could.

Parents moved to Lubbock when I was 2
I was born in Fabens Texas- try and find it on a map.
Went to school here and have moved away but keep coming back.
I'm from Pennsylvania, Jane. Did you ever live here? We're the Keystone State, lol!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Hope you get a bump from this. I just ordered it from Amazon. 3-5 business days and I'll be reading you!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary456
I'm from Pennsylvania, Jane. Did you ever live here? We're the Keystone State, lol!
Hey, Mary. I'm a Texan now, but I grew up in Washington, Pennsylvania (about 30 miles SW of Pittsburgh). What part of PA do you live in?

Jim
(Go Steelers!)