Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 PM
scandi's Avatar
scandi scandi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland, Ore
Posts: 18,357
WHIPPET missing Westminster Dog Show

The Whippet that was close to winning the dog show has run away, He's worth $150,000!

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/13881418.htm

Dog goes missing after Westminster showAssociated PressNEW YORK

"A dog that competed in the Westminster Kennel Club show this week escaped from its cage at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Wednesday and was believed to be on the loose in the surrounding area.
The dog, a whippet, broke free at about noon, said Tiffany Townsend, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs area airports.
Port Authority police were working with the dog's owners to search the area where planes arrive and depart, she said. . . . ' More at link




Scandi
__________________
Remembering Madeleine McCann ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zI...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:02 PM
michelle's Avatar
michelle michelle is offline
Joy comes in the Morning
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,037
Oh my, I cant believe that dog is worth that much!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:05 PM
lynie lynie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,000
Poor doggie!! Would have to be so frightened with all of the action and noise
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:08 PM
scandi's Avatar
scandi scandi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland, Ore
Posts: 18,357
Me neither, but I watched that show last night, and I think he was either a runner up for best in that catagory, or one of the final dogs for Best In Show.

He was a lovely doggie all right ~ well face it, every one of them was very special! I just love those dog shows. I need to get a little doggie.

Scandi
__________________
Remembering Madeleine McCann ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zI...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
SchnauzerMom SchnauzerMom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Oh my, I cant believe that dog is worth that much!
Oh, yeah, a dog that made Westminster is worth that in stud fees alone. And the owners probably spent more than that getting him there.

Then again, mine are "pound puppies" are they're priceless to me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
SchnauzerMom SchnauzerMom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi
The Whippet that was close to winning the dog show has run away, He's worth $150,000!

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/13881418.htm

Dog goes missing after Westminster showAssociated PressNEW YORK

"A dog that competed in the Westminster Kennel Club show this week escaped from its cage at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Wednesday and was believed to be on the loose in the surrounding area.
The dog, a whippet, broke free at about noon, said Tiffany Townsend, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs area airports.
Port Authority police were working with the dog's owners to search the area where planes arrive and depart, she said. . . . ' More at link




Scandi
Anybody who knows what can and does happen to dogs on airplanes wouldn't fly one unless thay had to. The FAA doesn't even have to keep statistics on how many die, get lost or are injured, last I heard - there was a push to change that recently.
At least with this one being valuable and the case highly publicized, they probably won't shoot it like the did one in (I believe it was) Cincinnati that got loose - for fear it would cause a plane to wreck by running onto the runway

Last edited by SchnauzerMom; 02-16-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
SchnauzerMom SchnauzerMom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi
Me neither, but I watched that show last night, and I think he was either a runner up for best in that catagory, or one of the final dogs for Best In Show.

He was a lovely doggie all right ~ well face it, every one of them was very special! I just love those dog shows. I need to get a little doggie.

Scandi
They're a lot of responsability - much like having a toddler for 10-15 years. Remember, the ones in those shows have years of training and hours of grooming. But if you're up to it, check out Petfinder.com - there are a lot of wonderful dogs out there who are homeless through no fault of their own, all breeds, all sizes and ages. All 4 of my beautiful Miniature Schnauzers were either strays or dumped by previous owners for downright stupid reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM
scandi's Avatar
scandi scandi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland, Ore
Posts: 18,357
How neat SchnauserMom,

Do you think someone walked off with this dog knowing he was very valuable? Could be. It is so cold in NYC right now, and probably snow still on the ground. If he ran away I bet he is scared *****less!

How could this dog undo the latch on his cage? That doesn't make sense, does it? I mean I know he is smart, but would it even be possible is the question.

There is only the one article on it now ~ believe me I have looked. LOL But I found this article about a Whippet that did go to the show last night. I don't know if he's the righ dog. Maybe not as I don't remember all the spots. But it gives a lot of interesting info about Whippets!

http://www.hcnews.com/news/get-news....g=get-news.asp


Scandi

ETA: When my 2 boys were in high school, Randy got a Dingo Dog. My goodness, he chewed everything up on a continual basis. It took me years to get over that! If I'd known that by nature they are chewers I'd have made Randy take him right back to where he got him. LOL
__________________
Remembering Madeleine McCann ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zI...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
SchnauzerMom SchnauzerMom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi
How neat SchnauserMom,

Do you think someone walked off with this dog knowing he was very valuable? Could be. It is so cold in NYC right now, and probably snow still on the ground. If he ran away I bet he is scared *****less!

How could this dog undo the latch on his cage? That doesn't make sense, does it? I mean I know he is smart, but would it even be possible is the question.

There is only the one article on it now ~ believe me I have looked. LOL But I found this article about a Whippet that did go to the show last night. I don't know if he's the righ dog. Maybe not as I don't remember all the spots. But it gives a lot of interesting info about Whippets!

http://www.hcnews.com/news/get-news....g=get-news.asp


Scandi

ETA: When my 2 boys were in high school, Randy got a Dingo Dog. My goodness, he chewed everything up on a continual basis. It took me years to get over that! If I'd known that by nature they are chewers I'd have made Randy take him right back to where he got him. LOL
I don't know what happened, but nobody could do much with this dog stolen - without proof and it's papers, it's just another dog.
Crates can break, somone may have opened it to feed or water the dog, who knows... I think there are regulations as to the type of crate that you have to use on a plane, and I'm betting this dog had one that was top-of-the-line. Still, there are different types of latches, some easier to open than others - my agility dog can open a crate with a sliding bolt latch (like a "burgler bar" on a house door) and now that he's not crated during the day anymore, will still let his wild younger brother out sometimes. (Little brother has a paper-shredding fetish, so is still crated at age two - I'm hoping he'll outgrow it)

It's important to consider what a dog was bred for before taking one on as a pet - Working dogs like Border Collies need tons of room to run, rat killing terriers (like mine) usually aren't safe with small animals, toy breeds have tiny bladders and can't "hold it" if you work long hours, etc. A true Dingo, if that's what you had, is a wld animal and wouldn't be a good household pet, period. There are websites that have "Breed selector" programs - put in things like how much time to have to exercise the dog, how much time you're willing to spend grooming, etc, and it will recommend breeds that might suit your lifestyle. Also, you might find a nice dog who is housebroken and past the chewing stage at a shelter.

As for the poor baby in this story, I' picturing it being terrified by the sounds the planes make (ever stood on a runway?) and freezing in the 2 feet of snow with it's short hair. I pray they find it.

Last edited by SchnauzerMom; 02-15-2006 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2006, 09:44 PM
scandi's Avatar
scandi scandi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland, Ore
Posts: 18,357
I'm going to wait until I buy a house to get my doggie so he or she has a nice yard to call its own. But thank you for the information. I love the Norfolk terrier, but if that breed has a small bladder, well, ummmm,I'd have to really think on that.

Did you see the promos on TV for this show last night? They had a dog that looked like a big Whippet with long silky hair that was spotted all over. His hair was long enough to blow in the wind. Well, he was sitting straight up on his haunches with his feet perfectly in front of his body looking at the camera with his hair blowing. It was a picture that would be a great painting I thought. And of course, with his stately demeanor and artistic coat of hair, I absolutely fell in love with him. I think he is quite expensive just by the looks of him!

Scandi
__________________
Remembering Madeleine McCann ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zI...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Lili's Avatar
Lili Lili is offline
My opinion only.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Penns' woods
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Oh my, I cant believe that dog is worth that much!
Only to the person who is willing to pay that much!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2006, 10:41 PM
KrazyKollector KrazyKollector is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi
I'm going to wait until I buy a house to get my doggie so he or she has a nice yard to call its own. But thank you for the information. I love the Norfolk terrier, but if that breed has a small bladder, well, ummmm,I'd have to really think on that.

Did you see the promos on TV for this show last night? They had a dog that looked like a big Whippet with long silky hair that was spotted all over. His hair was long enough to blow in the wind. Well, he was sitting straight up on his haunches with his feet perfectly in front of his body looking at the camera with his hair blowing. It was a picture that would be a great painting I thought. And of course, with his stately demeanor and artistic coat of hair, I absolutely fell in love with him. I think he is quite expensive just by the looks of him!

Scandi
We have a Norfolk and her bladder does quite well. She has gone 9 hours before, though she REALLY had to go as soon as we got home.
My Mom has a Silky Terrier and she only goes out 4-5 times a day/night total.

I missed the Westminster this year--anyone know who won the different breed catagories and which dog won BIS?
Edited to add: I read the article and see if was a bull terrier that won BIS.
Not one of my favorite breeds.

The Whippet gets very cold easily since they have next to no fat reserves and very short hair. I hope it is somewhere warm with a way to get water.
Poor little dog.
__________________
Suzi


Reputation is what you are in the light.
Character is what you are in the dark.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 PM
SchnauzerMom SchnauzerMom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi
I'm going to wait until I buy a house to get my doggie so he or she has a nice yard to call its own. But thank you for the information. I love the Norfolk terrier, but if that breed has a small bladder, well, ummmm,I'd have to really think on that.

Did you see the promos on TV for this show last night? They had a dog that looked like a big Whippet with long silky hair that was spotted all over. His hair was long enough to blow in the wind. Well, he was sitting straight up on his haunches with his feet perfectly in front of his body looking at the camera with his hair blowing. It was a picture that would be a great painting I thought. And of course, with his stately demeanor and artistic coat of hair, I absolutely fell in love with him. I think he is quite expensive just by the looks of him!

Scandi
I didn't see it - my Mom has it taped for me, so maybe I'll get to watch it this weekend. That sounds like an Afghan Hound - they are rare, but I once had a stray one come into my yard. I took him to a shelter, and nobody claimed him. They ended up sending him to an Afghan Hound rescue. I've not seen a spotted one. Check out www.akc.org and look at the sighthounds under the hound group - they should have pictures.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 AM
kato kato is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauzerMom
I don't know what happened, but nobody could do much with this dog stolen - without proof and it's papers, it's just another dog.
Crates can break, somone may have opened it to feed or water the dog, who knows... I think there are regulations as to the type of crate that you have to use on a plane, and I'm betting this dog had one that was top-of-the-line. Still, there are different types of latches, some easier to open than others - my agility dog can open a crate with a sliding bolt latch (like a "burgler bar" on a house door) and now that he's not crated during the day anymore, will still let his wild younger brother out sometimes. (Little brother has a paper-shredding fetish, so is still crated at age two - I'm hoping he'll outgrow it)

It's important to consider what a dog was bred for before taking one on as a pet - Working dogs like Border Collies need tons of room to run, rat killing terriers (like mine) usually aren't safe with small animals, toy breeds have tiny bladders and can't "hold it" if you work long hours, etc. A true Dingo, if that's what you had, is a wld animal and wouldn't be a good household pet, period. There are websites that have "Breed selector" programs - put in things like how much time to have to exercise the dog, how much time you're willing to spend grooming, etc, and it will recommend breeds that might suit your lifestyle. Also, you might find a nice dog who is housebroken and past the chewing stage at a shelter.

As for the poor baby in this story, I' picturing it being terrified by the sounds the planes make (ever stood on a runway?) and freezing in the 2 feet of snow with it's short hair. I pray they find it.
My grandmother has or had (she died last year and left him to my aunt) a Bichon. Talk about high maintanence.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:25 AM
mjak mjak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,467
I know were talking about a dog but all I kept thinking when reading this thread was maybe this thread should be in the missing forum, lol. Poor puppy.

mjak
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Cypros Cypros is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,660
A similar situation happened with a greyhound show dog at the Philadelphia Airport some eyars ago. The dog escaped and ran (shot) out of the terminal. Sadly, they found its body a few days later on the nearby railroad tracks. It was estimated that it had been killed within hours of its escape. Poor thing was terrified, in an unfamiliar place, and inexperienced with the dangers of cars and other fast-moving vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM
ellen13 ellen13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 751
Unhappy Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauzerMom
Anybody who knows what can and does happen to dogs on airplanes wouldn't fly one unless thay had to. The FAA doesn't even have to keep statistics on home many die, get lost or are injured, last I heard - there was a push to change that recently.
At least with this one being valuable and the case highly publicized, they probably won't shoot it like the did one in (I believe it was) Cincinnati that got loose - for fear it would cause a plane to wreck by running onto the runway
That's why I always pay extra and put my little bichons in their vinyl
carriers under the seat in front of me. Unfortunately, you can't do that
with larger dogs. Seriously, people should be able to buy a seat for their larger dogs, as long as they're restrained somehow.
I'm with you Schnauzermom!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Linda7NJ's Avatar
Linda7NJ Linda7NJ is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,053
I heard on the news this morning that he was spotted running through the marshes near the airport. I hope they find him soon
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
I heard on the news this morning that he was spotted running through the marshes near the airport. I hope they find him soon
We would think that with daylight, and a helicopter, they would be able to find him.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-16-2006, 11:23 AM
lilpony's Avatar
lilpony lilpony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,451
Oh my the poor doggie. He's running around the marshes..wow. He is probably scared to death, not knowing where he is or he is having the time of his life.
Gosh, I hope the owners get him back safe and sounds.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 PM
SchnauzerMom SchnauzerMom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato
My grandmother has or had (she died last year and left him to my aunt) a Bichon. Talk about high maintanence.
Yes, I know. Mine are non-shedding, which is great, but if you don't groom a non-shedding dog, it turns into a walking dreadlock.
Thank goodness your aunt took him in. We get dogs into rescue all the time that have been the pets of elderly people who either died or went into a nursing home and the family members don't want them. They're used to a nice quiet life, and can't be placed in homes with children, and are often up in years themselves. And yet, every 80-something year old person who wants to adopt wants a puppy, one they're probably going to be outlived by, as Schnauzers commonly live into their teens.

Last edited by SchnauzerMom; 02-16-2006 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
kato kato is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauzerMom
Yes, I know. Mine are non-shedding, which is great, but if you don't groom a non-shedding dog, it turns into a walking dreadlock.
Thank goodness your aunt took him in. We get dogs into rescue al the time that have been the pets of elderly people who either died or went into a nursing home and the family members don't want them. They're used to a nice quiet life, and can't be placed in homes with children, and are often up in years themselves. And yet, every 80-something year old person who wants to adopt wants a puppy, one they're probably going to be outlived by, as Schnauzers commonly live into their teens.
My aunt lived with my GM so it was a given. You're right about the dreadlock stuff. LOL Also, he's high strung and nervous. He was used to having someone around all day and my aunt works. I read that they are companion dogs and do not like to be left alone. I told her to ask the vet about meds. I have read that they do give dogs prozac.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-19-2006, 07:52 PM
scandi's Avatar
scandi scandi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: portland, Ore
Posts: 18,357
Is the Bijon the dog small white dog with the soft looking hair, and the hair is longer on the ihead and perfectly cut to be round and it makes him look like he has a big head?

Scandi
__________________
Remembering Madeleine McCann ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui2zI...eature=related
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Sassygerl Sassygerl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi
Is the Bijon the dog small white dog with the soft looking hair, and the hair is longer on the ihead and perfectly cut to be round and it makes him look like he has a big head?

Scandi
Yep, the bichon frise. If they aren't groomed regularly they are a mess!

ETA: I pray they find this dog I saw the owner on TV and it was so sad....I can't even imagine!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
FACE-IT FACE-IT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: in paradise
Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpony
Oh my the poor doggie. He's running around the marshes..wow. He is probably scared to death, not knowing where he is or he is having the time of his life.
Gosh, I hope the owners get him back safe and sounds.
I thought for sure we would hear about this dog by now. He had to have gotten hungry; I thought he would be recovered in no less than three days. This is sad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!