Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Serial Killers

Notices

Serial Killers Can you find similarities that will help catch a serial killer?

Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Victim's Sister Going To Pickton Trial

After an agonizing wait, Elana Papin says she'll attend the trial of alleged serial killer Robert Pickton, the man accused of murdering her sister.

The B.C. government announced plans last month to fund travel and accommodation for families to attend the trial.

The pig farmer is accused of 26 counts of first-degree murder. Pickton's trial on six counts - including the death of Enoch resident Georgina Papin - begins in January.

"In my heart, I feel like it's my duty to be there," said Elana, 37.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Cana...63580-sun.html

I'm glad the victims' families will have an opportunity to confront Pickton in person at his trial. I'm appalled that the Pickton family wants to continue farming on that land Who would want anything that was grown or raised at that place?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Nancy Clark

The family of missing Victoria woman Nancy Clark was notified that her disappearance has been connected to the police task force investigating the Port Coquitlam, B.C., pig farm of accused serial killer Robert (Willie) Pickton.

Clark's family was notified Tuesday of the new development in her case by Victoria police detectives and members of the Lower Mainland's Missing Women's Task Force.

''It's kind of sad, but kind of a relief for them,''said Victoria police acting Insp. Les Sylven. ''To hear nothing for years and years, and then to get some kind of information, no doubt most people would feel relieved.''

The Missing Women's Task Force has seized tens of thousands of exhibits from Pickton's farm, and some of that evidence is still being analyzed in police labs across the country.

So far, Pickton stands charged with killing 26 missing sex trade workers whose DNA was located on the property during a massive police search between February 2002 and November 2003.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...027715&k=82972
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Proudly Canadian

Jury selection begins tomorrow

• If convicted on all counts, Robert Pickton would be Canada's worst serial killer
• 600 potential jurors being called Saturday
• Suspect used to throw large parties on hog farm

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- The women began disappearing from Vancouver's seediest streets in the 1980s, hookers and dope addicts abandoned on the margins of society. Desperate friends and families were outraged when the police appeared to do little to find them.

Now, the man accused of murdering at least 26 of those missing women is finally going to trial. Jury selection was to begin Saturday for the case against Robert "Willie" Pickton, a pig farmer who, if convicted of all the murders, would become the worst serial killer in Canadian history.

Some 600 potential jurors were being called in Saturday. Justice James Williams has ruled that the trial will be divided into two parts, with the first six counts being tried first.

The gruesome allegations against Pickton fall under a publication ban which prevents the media from revealing details of the alleged crimes until opening arguments on January 8.

http://tinyurl.com/y9tntt
Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 AM

Children Of Vancouver's Missing Women Want To Remember - Then Move On

Like mothers, like daughters.

Georgina Papin always wanted to help people. Her daughter Kristina Bateman wants to remember that legacy and become a nurse.

Sarah de Vries loved to write and draw. Her daughter Jeanie says English is her favourite class.

Photos of Marnie Frey show deep brown hair. Her daughter Brittney recently dyed hers to match.

Papin, de Vries and Frey were street sisters in the most notorious neighbourhood in Canada - Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

Their daughters are now among the elders of a different kind of a family - the generation of children born to the 26 women Robert Pickton stands accused of murdering.

There are about 40 children in all - Papin herself had seven, of which Kristina is the eldest.

Their mothers' stories have come and gone in the public eye since women began disappearing from the Downtown Eastside. And with the trial on six of the murders set to begin Jan. 22, they are surfacing again.

http://www.brooksbulletin.com/news/n...p?itemid=59834
Old 01-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Vancouver Pig Farmer Accused of Murdering Six Women

VANCOUVER — Marnie Frey called her parents for the last time on her 24th birthday. Lynn, her stepmother, answered the phone to hear Marnie giggling, wheedling for some birthday cash. Mrs Frey was reluctant, knowing that it would be spent to feed her heroin habit.

She told her daughter that a parcel was on its way, with clothes, food and toiletries, things low down on her daughter's shopping list for life on the mean streets of the Downtown Eastside, Vancouver. The thank-you call never came.

Rick and Lynn Frey would not learn what had become of their daughter until after a frantic search that lasted five years. Her remains were unearthed on a pig farm in Port Coquitlam, on the outskirts of Vancouver. The farm belonged to Robert Pickton, known as "Uncle Willie," a pig farmer well-known for the parties that he threw for prostitutes and bikers at his quasi- legal drinking club, the Piggy Palace.

Investigators dug up the remains of one woman after another, from body parts to minute traces of DNA, until the count came to 30. Four could not be identified. The other 26 were among the names of 67 women who had disappeared from the Downtown Eastside streets. On Monday Mr Pickton goes on trial for six murders, the only cases in which body parts survive.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245118,00.html
Old 01-20-2007, 09:13 AM

"Few of the details of the evidence have been made public in Canada, where strict publication bans have muffled preliminary hearings. But what has come to light is grim enough: butchered body parts discovered in a freezer; a woodchipper, confiscated by police, where the women's bodies were believed to have been disposed of; and the public health warning that the pigs believed to have been fed on human remains were then slaughtered and put into the human food chain — along with, perhaps, human meat itself."

This is incredibly disturbing. Having seen some the crimes that have been posted here.. this one is by far the worst.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
Investigators dug up the remains of one woman after another, from body parts to minute traces of DNA, until the count came to 30.
How can minute traces of DNA be isolated/found in a situation where the remains are being dug up? Are they talking about bone fragments, maybe?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:42 AM

I know this sounds horrid ........but I always heard pigs would eat a human body and there would be nothing left. So why did he bury them?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Proudly Canadian

My aunt has been his psychiatric nurse for the past 5 years,at the remand center he is being held at.She said he is nothing but a little weasley slimeball.The facts that are going to come out in this case are going to be disturbing to say the least.There is so much evidence against him I don't know why he just didn't plead guilty.

Another thing that surprises me is,his brother was present at these big parties.I wonder why he was never charged with anything at all.You can't tell me he didn't know anything about all these women going missing.They apparently found alot of drivers licenses etc..He surely must have seen something.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisahas2cats
How can minute traces of DNA be isolated/found in a situation where the remains are being dug up? Are they talking about bone fragments, maybe?
Inside teeth! There isn't much in a tooth, but enough for identification I do believe.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Shhhhhh - Peppurr's sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
My aunt has been his psychiatric nurse for the past 5 years,at the remand center he is being held at.She said he is nothing but a little weasley slimeball.The facts that are going to come out in this case are going to be disturbing to say the least.There is so much evidence against him I don't know why he just didn't plead guilty.

Another thing that surprises me is,his brother was present at these big parties.I wonder why he was never charged with anything at all.You can't tell me he didn't know anything about all these women going missing.They apparently found alot of drivers licenses etc..He surely must have seen something.
Maybe the brother is a witness for the prosecution.

There were a lot of people at those parties, I hear. It's going to be interesting to hear how they directly link Pickton to these murders. I understand he (Pickton) has a very good lawyer.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks Katk! I was confused by their distinction between "body parts" and "minute traces of DNA" in relation to the remains they were finding...teeth makes sense.

Lisa
Old 01-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisahas2cats
Thanks Katk! I was confused by their distinction between "body parts" and "minute traces of DNA" in relation to the remains they were finding...teeth makes sense.

Lisa
Also, maybe tiny droplets of blood, or...other matter found on the instruments of death or dismemberment.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:39 PM

The Curtain Rises

What's expected to be the longest jury trial in Canadian history beings Monday when Robert (Willie) Pickton finally goes to court charged with murdering six women from this city's notorious Downtown Eastside.

The six -- Sereena Abotsway, Marnie Frey, Angela Joesbury, Georgina Papin, Mona Wilson and Brenda Wolfe -- are among 26 that Pickton has been charged with murdering.

Twelve jurors and two alternates have been told to prepare for a full year of evidence and arguments. The Crown alone has 240 people on its witness list. It has filed more than 750,000 documents and the number of exhibits -- physical evidence taken from Pickton's pig farm in suburban Port Coquitlam -- is expected to be equally daunting.

More than 600 police officers supplemented by civilian workers, including anthropology students, worked on the case, digging up and sifting dirt at the Pickton farm.

Because there is so much evidence and so many witnesses, B.C. Supreme Court Justice John Williams has taken the unusual step of allowing Pickton's lawyers to make an opening statement on Monday, right after the Crown's opening, rather than waiting months and months for the prosecution to unwrap its case.

It's already taken nearly five years for this trial to begin. Pickton, 57, was arrested and charged with two counts of murder in February 2002. But even when this trial ends, Pickton's days in court aren't over. He still has to face the other 20 murder charges.

Initially, it was to have been a single trial. But last summer, the judge split the charges after Pickton's lawyers said it could take two years to hear all the evidence in a case that's also known as the missing-women trial.

That's what many social services agencies working with women in the Downtown Eastside would prefer the media called it. They fear that the publicity surrounding the trial is conferring celebrity status on the accused rather than focusing on his crimes and victims.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4455841c.html
Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Proudly Canadian

NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. – Evidence in the trial against accused serial killer Robert Pickton will be distressing and repulsive and jurors must be careful to keep their objectivity, the judge in the case told them today.

"Some of the evidence to which you will be exposed to during the trial will be shocking and is likely to be upsetting. I must ask each of you to deal with that the best you can," Justice James Williams said as the jury trial began.

"It may arouse feelings of revulsion and hostility that can overwhelm the objective and impartial approach that jurors are expected to bring to their task.

http://tinyurl.com/335ceb
Old 01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Proudly Canadian

The heads, hands and feet of two women were found in a freezer at the home of a pig farmer accused of being Canada's worst serial killer, a court heard today.

The heads had been cut in half vertically using a power saw, prosecutor Derrill Previtt told jurors at the trial of Robert "Willie" Pickton.

http://tinyurl.com/2abuxr
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Proudly Canadian

NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia - A Canadian pig farmer confessed to killing 49 women and was caught before he could reach his goal of making it an even 50, prosecutors told jurors at the start of his murder trial Monday.

Prosecutor Derrill Prevett stunned the courtroom by saying that Pickton told investigators, including an undercover officer planted in his jail cell, that he had slain 49 women.

"I was going to do one more and make it an even 50," Prevett quoted Pickton as telling investigators. "I made my own grave by being sloppy."

Pickton told one officer that he would be "nailed to the cross" and described himself as a mass murderer who deserved to be on death row, Prevett claimed.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/16516983.htm
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Shhhhhh - Peppurr's sleeping

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

"In a laundry room of Pickton's trailer, a revolver was found in a zippered gun case. Its barrel was covered in plastic wrap, had an elastic band wrapped around it and had a sexual device fitted over it. The revolver had one spent casing and five other rounds. Forensic evidence detected DNA from both Pickton and Wilson on the revolver."
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Proudly Canadian

Wow thanks Jilly,he is a sick sick man isn't he.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Unhappy

He's like Jeffrey Dahmer, Hannibal Lector and the serial killer from the movie 'Seven' rolled into one. I really feel for those jurors because this will change their lives forever. They are in for one long horrific trial. It's cases like these that make me wish Canada had the death penalty.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Proudly Canadian

Prevett said police entered the Pickton farm with a search warrant on Feb. 5, 2002, initially seeking illegal firearms but made a shocking discovery — a blood-stained tote bag was found in Pickton’s mobile home that contained an asthma inhaler that was prescribed in 2001 to one of the missing women, Abotsway.

Also found on a laundry room shelf was a .22-calibre Smith & Wesson handgun. The Crown contends Abotsway was shot with a .22-calibre gun, he added.

Prevett said police later found decomposed partial remains of several women close to Pickton’s home on the farm, including two severed heads found in a freezer chest in a workshop adjacent to a building Pickton used to slaughter pigs.

http://tinyurl.com/2sxehj
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Proudly Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hez
He's like Jeffrey Dahmer, Hannibal Lector and the serial killer from the movie 'Seven' rolled into one. I really feel for those jurors because this will change their lives forever. They are in for one long horrific trial. It's cases like these that make me wish Canada had the death penalty.
ITA Hez,the first ones who should get the Dp would be Pickton followed by Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
ITA Hez,the first ones who should get the Dp would be Pickton followed by Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka.
Yeah. I can't belive Homolka is out living her life almost as if she did nothing wrong. It sickens me.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Proudly Canadian

Well I have faith one day Karla will screw up and go back to jail where she belongs.

So far today in the trial they are playing more of the taped interviews with Pickton.I often wonder how my aunt does it,she has been his nurse for 5 years.Having to deal with such a scum ball 5 days a week.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hez
I have just done a search as I knew little of this case. Will be watching with interest. Yes, I wish Canada had the death penalty also? How involved was Pickton's brother.He must have been party to at least knowing of the murders.
I would not want to be on the jury for this as it will affect the jurors for the rest of their days.How many more women were killed by him and will we ever know. So very sad for the families....