Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

Nacole Winter, 15, Brutally Murdered

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/121806/loc_winter.shtml

A teenage Topeka girl found Thursday in an undeveloped area near Lake Shawnee was "brutally murdered," according to Topeka Police Sgt. Steve Taylor.

Police are investigating Nacole Winter's death as a homicide after her body was identified using dental records.

Winter, 15, was found at about 4 a.m. in an open field on the east side of the 4100 block of S.E. East Edge Road by Shawnee County sheriff's officers on routine patrol in the vicinity. The area is part of the Rockfire housing development, which has been annexed by the city, police said.

The Shawnee County coroner's office performed an autopsy, and dental records confirmed the girl's identity, a police spokesman said.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:35 AM

How horrible and such a sweet looking little girl. I read the article but I didn't see anything that said she had been reported missing. Was she only gone for a few hours before they found her body? They certainly weren't giving too much information.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 AM
A thousand miles from nowhere.....

This is a strange case and not much information about it. How incredibly sad. What happened to this girl? What is happening to all of these children???????

Rest in Peace Nacole.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth
How horrible and such a sweet looking little girl. I read the article but I didn't see anything that said she had been reported missing. Was she only gone for a few hours before they found her body? They certainly weren't giving too much information.
I noticed the same thing. Hopefully more will come out in the news.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM

Friends share memories of teen

Kaylee Simmons remembers talking to Nacole Winter at Hope Street Academy just days before Winter went missing. They talked about the weekend, like any other girls chatting in the halls of school.

"She was just saying stuff about the weekend and what we'd done," Simmons, 14, said Monday.

Then on Nov. 30, Winter, an eighth-grade student at Hope Street, didn't show up for school. Her parents said they filed a missing persons report with the Topeka Police Department that night.

On Dec. 14, the 15-year-old was found dead near Lake Shawnee.

Maj. John Sidwell said Monday that no further information was available about what the department called a brutal murder. Police wouldn't confirm early reports that Winter's body was partially burned but did say that dental records were used to identify her body.

more at link:
http://www.cjonline.com/stories/1219...lewinter.shtml
Old 12-21-2006, 09:40 AM

Sources says her body was burned from the waist down, and her family wants answers. Nacole's family can't have her home for Christmas, but say the best present would be putting the killer behind bars.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/4952512.html
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM

http://ww2.wibw.com/global/video/pop...l&rnd=87369569

Video link: Nacole's Family Speaks Out
Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Former Member

How horrible and heartbraking. She was only 14 years old. I hope they find who did this to her. I've only been on this forum for a few days; but, boy have I, "seen" a lot.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRun
How horrible and heartbraking. She was only 14 years old. I hope they find who did this to her. I've only been on this forum for a few days; but, boy have I, "seen" a lot.
Welcome to the forum, LionRun.

I hope they catch whoever did this, too. If it is true that she was burned from the waist down, it sounds like she was possibly raped and they did this to destroy DNA evidence.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Former Member

Thank you SewingDeb. That's a good point. Someone may have wanted to destroy any DNA.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Reprobate

The sister has a point, in her interview. Why don't these people just let them go? MANY girls don't report a rape, and if the guy would just use a condom and a wig or something - you have less of a chance of getting caught if you just LET THEM GO.

Same age as my daughter. :-(
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
The sister has a point, in her interview. Why don't these people just let them go? MANY girls don't report a rape, and if the guy would just use a condom and a wig or something - you have less of a chance of getting caught if you just LET THEM GO.

Same age as my daughter. :-(

You're right that many never report a rape. Her sister speaking just broke my heart.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Reprobate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingDeb
You're right that many never report a rape. Her sister speaking just broke my heart.
What I also don't understand, is there are a bunch of free websites where women advertise to have sex with men - like online dating for hussies - so they could have sex for free if that is what they wanted. If they wanted to HURT someone with sex - darned if they don't have FREE websites for that too.

Maybe we should give every perv a computer, and tell them where to find each other.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Good idea, Glitch.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Rape is rarely ever about sex - it is about power, control and degrading the victim.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Reprobate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj
Rape is rarely ever about sex - it is about power, control and degrading the victim.
That is why I said there are websites for that, too. (Recall, I'm into the whole bdsm thing.) There are extremes where women WANT to be controlled and degraded. Seems to me, unless the person is into murder, specifically, there are other options to get what they want, without killing in addition.

Not condoning what they are doing, of course, but if they can find a consensual party to outlet on - that's always good.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:21 AM

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/1221...ntercase.shtml
Old 12-22-2006, 03:30 AM

I don't know why but I have the feeling that whoever did this was around her age. Maybe more then one peer? It just reminds me that nobody is safe, especially girls and women.Every women should own a gun! JMO
Old 12-22-2006, 04:51 AM

What a pretty little girl and she does look like she was a sweet girl too. I wonder what in the world happened? Her parents reported her missing on Nov 30th. We didn't hear anything about this girl did we?

I agree Deb about why she was burnt from the waist down. I feel so bad for her parents...not just for their loss but for the things that were done to their girl. That is a hard thing to live with. Having a child murdered is bad enough but burned......I hope and pray that she was already dead when that happened.

I wonder if this young girl had a boyfriend or if anyone had been bothering her before she went missing. I also wonder if she went missing from her home or if someone saw her ready and leaving for school. The article didn't give much info at all.

Hopfully the monster that did this crime will be caught and this won't drag on for months and years.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
What a pretty little girl and she does look like she was a sweet girl too. I wonder what in the world happened? Her parents reported her missing on Nov 30th. We didn't hear anything about this girl did we?

I agree Deb about why she was burnt from the waist down. I feel so bad for her parents...not just for their loss but for the things that were done to their girl. That is a hard thing to live with. Having a child murdered is bad enough but burned......I hope and pray that she was already dead when that happened.

I wonder if this young girl had a boyfriend or if anyone had been bothering her before she went missing. I also wonder if she went missing from her home or if someone saw her ready and leaving for school. The article didn't give much info at all.

Hopfully the monster that did this crime will be caught and this won't drag on for months and years.
No, Bobbi, we didn't hear anything early on. I didn't see this until her body was identified. My heart goes out to her family.

CJOnline link from above says:

Winter had been reported missing on Nov. 30, when Unified School District 501 officials said she left without permission from Hope Street Academy Charter Middle School, 1900 S.W. Hope, where she was in the eighth grade.

I wonder who else left school without permission that day.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
That is why I said there are websites for that, too. (Recall, I'm into the whole bdsm thing.) There are extremes where women WANT to be controlled and degraded. Seems to me, unless the person is into murder, specifically, there are other options to get what they want, without killing in addition.

Not condoning what they are doing, of course, but if they can find a consensual party to outlet on - that's always good.
I SO agree with your thoughts on this subject, Glitch. You can find willing participants for every kink imagineable...literally, at your fingertips. I think when it comes right down to it, people who truly want to rape and not just act out fantasies don't want to think there is any sort of willingness. They want a victim, not a playmate.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:43 PM

I did a search at CJ Online for any updates. Here are some of the results:

Your search for nacole winter found 50 documents.
1. (12/21/06) Tree ceremony planned

The Stop The Violence Memorial Tree Dedication Committee/Bias Busters and the Ronnie and Vickie Winter family will dedicate a tree in memory of Nacole Winter at 6 p.m. Saturday near the RockFire at the Lake housing development near Lake Shawnee. A candleli

http://cjonline.com/stories/122106/l...ceremony.shtml

2. (12/20/06) Victim's step-mom: 'She loved people'

Nacole Winter was an angel. Not a perfect angel, but an angel nonetheless. That is what Nacole's family said about her on Tuesday, three days after her body was identified.

http://cjonline.com/stories/122006/loc_nacole.shtml

3. (12/18/06) Police identify body as Topeka teen

A teenage Topeka girl found Thursday in an undeveloped area near Lake Shawnee was "brutally murdered," according to Topeka Police Sgt. Steve Taylor.

4. (12/19/06) Friends share memories of teen

Kaylee Simmons remembers talking to Nacole Winter at Hope Street Academy just days before Winter went missing. They talked about the weekend, like any other girls chatting in the halls of school. "She was just saying stuff about the weekend and what we'd d

5. (12/23/06) Nacole Winter remembered as a 'good friend'

In a church near her home, family and friends of 15-year-old Nacole Winter paid their respects at a memorial service Friday afternoon. Those in attendance packed the small sanctuary of Southwest Christian Church, 5747 S.W. Huntoon, and spilled into the ent

http://cjonline.com/stories/122306/loc_winter.shtml

6. (12/21/06) Homicide of local teenager still under investigation

Topeka police revealed no new information Wednesday on the homicide investigation of 15-year-old Nacole Winter, whose body was found a week ago today near Lake Shawnee.

http://cjonline.com/stories/122106/loc_wintercase.shtml

7. (12/20/06) Police see dozens of similar cases each month

It all starts with the missing persons report. A boy leaves his house and doesn't come back. A teenager doesn't return from a friend's house.

http://cjonline.com/stories/122006/l...gpersons.shtml

8. (12/24/06) Candlelight vigil honors slain teen

A tree can often symbolize more than just a large wooden block that converts carbon dioxide to oxygen.

http://cjonline.com/stories/122406/loc_vigil.shtml

9. CJOnline : Archive

Click here for the full story.

10. (12/22/06) USD 501 may look at policy after student's slaying

Topeka Unified School District 501 should review how the district dealt with a runaway student whose body was discovered last week near Lake Shawnee, a school board member said Thursday.
http://cjonline.com/stories/122206/loc_501policy.shtml

http://www.cjonline.com/cgi-bin/keyw...imageField.y=7
Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 PM

New details about Nacole Winter homicide

Nacole Winter walked away from school in November and her burned body was found in a field near the Shawnee County golf course a few weeks later.

Police have sorted through hundreds of leads and a source close to the investigation tells 49 News detectives have a more than 200-page report in the case. That source said they have linked Winterís death to adult men who entice young girls into having sex with them.

Just one week after her body was found, police sent out an e-mail warning residents about FLIP parties, in which groups of men invite teenage girls to a party. When they arrive, the girls are asked to remove their clothes and have sex with them. If they refuse, theyíre assaulted and raped.

Police said they have developed some significant leads in the Winter case.
While our source said police believe they know who killed her, they still need additional information from the public so they can send the case to the district attorney for prosecution.

If you have any information about Winterís homicide or FLIP parties, call detectives at 368-9400. You can also call police anonymously by calling Crimestoppers at 234-0007. You could receive a $2,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest.

http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2007/a...nter_homicide/
Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM

I hope LE gets the information they need to put the perp(s) away.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Double the blessings, double the fun!

Some info about "FLIP" parties:

http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2006/d...rd_police_say/
Topeka Police say a victim of what are being called flip parties has come forward. The parties involved teenage girls who are left alone with several males. This often results in their rape or sexual assault, officers say.
Police say the victims are often reluctant to report these kinds of crimes.
Major John Sidwell says it's a serious problem parents need to know about.
"Parents need to make sure that they're watching where their kids are going and make sure there's adult supervision and that the party is a party they want their kids to go to," Sidwell said.
If you have any information about any flip party, call police at (785) 368-9422.

They are called Flip Parties, and officers say they can end in young girls being assaulted or raped.
Police say teenage girls are being invited to these Flip Parties where they will be alone with several males. Officers say that's when the girls are asked to remove their clothes and have sexual contact with one or more of the males, and if they refuse, they are assaulted and raped.
Police say the victims are often reluctant to report these kinds of crimes.
Major John Sidwell of the Topeka Police Department says it's a serious problem that parents need to know about.
"Parents need to make sure that they're watching where their kids are going, and make sure there's adult supervision, and that the party is a party they want their kids to go to," Sidwell said.
If you have information about "Flip Parties", call Topeka Police at 368-9422.

Also, this crew calls themselves FLIP ladies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mabG8StCKW8