Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Bizarre and Off-Beat News

Notices

Bizarre and Off-Beat News Strange news stories!

Old 02-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Banned

Cubans attempt floating Vintage car to Florida

See Article with photo!

11 Cubans in 1950s Buick picked up by U.S. coast guard off Florida

MIAMI (AP) - Eleven Cubans trying to sail to Florida in a 1950s Buick converted into a tailfinned boat were intercepted at sea by the U.S. coast guard and will be sent back to their homeland, Cuban-exile activists said Wednesday.

Story from CNEWS
Old 02-05-2004, 08:50 AM
A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

I just read that - what a riot!

Where there is a will, there is a way!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"
Old 02-05-2004, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poco
I just read that - what a riot!

Where there is a will, there is a way!
Second time they try it too....so sad that people put their life on the line for freedom only to be "pulled over" by the Coast Guard and send them back.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Former Member

And the sad part is that they will probably be executed once they are sent back to Cuba as an example to anyone who is thinking of escaping the island.

My best friend's husband went to Cuba just two weeks ago and he read that two young men had attempted to go to Florida, only to run out of gas while still in Cuban waters. They were apprehended and shot to scare others into submission. How very sad that they have to continue living under Castro's regime.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 AM
A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticamom
And the sad part is that they will probably be executed once they are sent back to Cuba as an example to anyone who is thinking of escaping the island.

My best friend's husband went to Cuba just two weeks ago and he read that two young men had attempted to go to Florida, only to run out of gas while still in Cuban waters. They were apprehended and shot to scare others into submission. How very sad that they have to continue living under Castro's regime.
And some of us have the gall to ***** about the U.S.A.?????

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"
Old 02-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Banned

Tica... I thought I had read or heard they had tried this before??

If they are not dead and could attempt it again... they must not have been executed last time?

Maybe I heard it wrong... I have read a few articles on it.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Banned

Bahahahaha ! What a hoot , Love the car !!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshew
Tica... I thought I had read or heard they had tried this before??

If they are not dead and could attempt it again... they must not have been executed last time?

Maybe I heard it wrong... I have read a few articles on it.
Cass, you're right. Two of these men did try it before. But I don't think Tica was referring to these same men. People try to escape Cuba constantly. Sometimes in motor boats, sometimes in regular boats, sometimes in makeshift rafts made of tires, etc. It's hard to know what really goes on in Cuba bc they don't have free press there and so what is allowed to be reported is what the government allows. Also, I believe CNN has a new bureau there, but the Cuban gov't will shut it down if they make negative reports about the gov't so essentially even the American press is also not free there. So an account like this wouldn't be easy to verify or disqualify. Also, I know that in the past year, the Cuban gov't has jailed, sentenced reporters, poets and other dissidents to life in prison for speaking out against the revolution and Castro. So I'd believe it.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:55 PM

The Cuban escape caper!

I too had read that two of the men in the Buick had made the attempt before in a pickup truck.
It is amazing what they try to escape on, such as two automobile hoods welded togeather.
Not that many years ago our goverment were sending ships out to help them and reports written up by our people give us a small glimpse as to there conditions. No food, little water, no navagational experience. What courage it must take to start a venture like that. Just goes to show you how desperate they are to leave the tyranny of Castro.