Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM

Post “Ten Commandments for a Responsible Pet Owner”

My life is likely to last 10-15 years, any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.

Give me time to understand what you want from me, don't be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalieable right.

Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment, I am not capable of understanding why? I only know I have been rejected, you have your work entertainment and friends I only have you.

Talk to me sometimes, even if I don't understand your words I understand your voice and your tone, "you only have to look at my tail".

Be aware that however you treat me I'll never forget it, and if it's cruel it may affect me forever.

Please don't hit me I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don't ever want to do that.

Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak, I may be just dog tired.

Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

Go with me on difficult journeys, never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, irrespective of what you do I will always love you.

© Stan Rawlinson 1993
Dog Behaviourist and Obedience Trainer
www.doglistener.co.uk
0208 979 2019

I changed this slightly from my initial 1993 poem
this is the final draft version 1998

posted in full with the author's permission 1/27/10
http://www.doglistener.co.uk/humour/commandments.shtml

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Last edited by chicoliving; 01-27-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: included the link to article in full and to credit the author
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Watch out for my thorns!

I got my dog after a certain person puppy-napped it from it's abusive owners. He has since lived the life of a king with us. All he lives for is to be loved, give love and play ball!

I got my cat after our neighbors moved and left the cat behind. The cat had been "friends" with my son, so, after being abandoned, he stayed on our porch begging for food. He has since moved into the house with us. We give him safe haven, a place to sleep and food in his belly and in return he keeps our house "mouse-free", entertained and loved.

You know I have to be soft-hearted where animals are concerned, when you take into the fact that I am allergic to cat dander... My eyes constantly itch and water...

But for the life of me I will NEVER turn my back on a needy animal. I do not understand those that abuse, neglect or abandon an animal... the rewards you receive from them far outnumber any obstacles or setbacks that may occur.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit

Thank you DK this has me bawling like a baby...It is just wonderful...Hugsss
Sassy
Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 PM
A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_texasbelle2
Thank you DK this has me bawling like a baby...It is just wonderful...Hugsss
Sassy
I know, sniff sniff - my dogs are my babies - let me go find them and give them a some hugs and kisses!!!!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"
Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM

DK, thank you. Those commandments are beautiful. And so is your picture----such an awesome reminder of what lent is all about. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM

My dog also came from neglectful owners - she is the most peaceful, good dog now.

Thanks for the Commandments. Dogs are better than humans as far as i'm concerned; they're rarely bad or mean, unless we made them that way. They rarely kill one another. I couldn't make it a day without my dog.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Former Member

That was very nice DK. I adore all my furbabies, and every one had been abandoned or abused before I adopted them. I never will understand why people get a pet, and mistreat it.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

Thanks so much for sharing, DK! I was just thinking today how amazing it is how much Casey loves me and how much I love him. I never had a dog while growing up so I never knew- I never realized, before Casey, how close the bond is between a pet owner and their pet.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Former Member

Thankyou DK......those comandments I can follow..
Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo
Ha ha; yeah I know what you mean...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo
LOL! Well, if you love your God more than you love your dog, neither set of commandments should be much of a problem.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Help Find Maura Murray

Gosh, that made me cry!

My dog has recently gone through llness due to cancer in his one lung and he has pulled through amazingly.
I was there for him and always will be.
I don't want to lose my little critters

Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Former Member

Thank you so much for posting those beautiful words!

My roster:

Dogs. . . .

Ginger- Found on Interstate as a puppy, now 17 and currently sleeping on the couch.

Howie- Showed up as a puppy in our driveway in the middle of a Florida July day. Currently asleep, curled up with Ginger.

Bogie- Rescued after being dropped off at the shelter with a note that said "he stinks and we can't take it anymore". Steroids and baths cured the stink, BTW.

Pook- A former housesitting client who became ours when he grew too old to live in an apartment with big stairs. A wily 16 yr old, he is.

Cats. . . .

Bob- Neighbor moved, cat didn't. She removed the screens from our windows after I fed her once and she wanted to be fed again. I still have no screens, but she has had a full bowl for four years now.

Gigi- Given to me by a former co-worker who was moving and couldn't take her with him.

Thumbs- Another neighbor move-away. She stood in the middle of the road and stopped our car. Had a stroke and coma three months after moving in with us, and now walks sideways and couldn't poop in a litterbox to save her life.

FedEx- Brought in to the Vet ER where I worked in a shipping box. Cute little head poked out and purring gave way to gasps of horror when we opened the box the rest of the way. Rear leg "removed" by a game trap. Companion and chase nemesis of Thumbs, both asleep in the window together.

BTW, I stuck a disclaimer in the wedding vows of hubby having to be agreeable to having a "home for wayward animals" for the rest of his life, lol.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Former Member

Hi FLMom.....your furkids are lucky to have such a caring and good hearted Mom.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Former Member

Nah. I'm the lucky one. There's not a mean bone in one of them.

When you're having a cruddy day, take about ten seconds and look into your pets' eyes. That's where I'm blessed. I'm surrounded by unconditional love.

(oh geez---I just realized that's sixteen eyeballs! And that's not counting the psychotic lovebird I forgot to mention. . . . )
Old 02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
I am but a humble cat servant

FlMom, you sure sound like a terrific mommy to your furbabies!
DK, thanks so much for posting this. I have tears in my eyes too!
Wish I were at home to huggle my kitties now, instead of at work..........

All posts are IMHO only!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMom
Thank you so much for posting those beautiful words!

My roster:

Dogs. . . .

Ginger- Found on Interstate as a puppy, now 17 and currently sleeping on the couch.

Howie- Showed up as a puppy in our driveway in the middle of a Florida July day. Currently asleep, curled up with Ginger.

Bogie- Rescued after being dropped off at the shelter with a note that said "he stinks and we can't take it anymore". Steroids and baths cured the stink, BTW.

Pook- A former housesitting client who became ours when he grew too old to live in an apartment with big stairs. A wily 16 yr old, he is.

Cats. . . .

Bob- Neighbor moved, cat didn't. She removed the screens from our windows after I fed her once and she wanted to be fed again. I still have no screens, but she has had a full bowl for four years now.

Gigi- Given to me by a former co-worker who was moving and couldn't take her with him.

Thumbs- Another neighbor move-away. She stood in the middle of the road and stopped our car. Had a stroke and coma three months after moving in with us, and now walks sideways and couldn't poop in a litterbox to save her life.

FedEx- Brought in to the Vet ER where I worked in a shipping box. Cute little head poked out and purring gave way to gasps of horror when we opened the box the rest of the way. Rear leg "removed" by a game trap. Companion and chase nemesis of Thumbs, both asleep in the window together.

BTW, I stuck a disclaimer in the wedding vows of hubby having to be agreeable to having a "home for wayward animals" for the rest of his life, lol.
i love your stories of saving unwanted animals! Esp the cat that walks sideways!

Reminds me of a book I read a few years back - "The Social Lives of Dogs" - I forget the author's name. She had lovely stories of their dog family and how they came to adopt these different dogs, it was a good read. I read it after I had to put down my golden, she had cancer, I was so sad, all I wanted to do was read books about dogs.....
Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM

Thank you so much for posting The Ten Commandments. Everyone who is buying/adopting a pet should have to take this oath!

Here is my menagerie in order of appearence:

Gizmo: Found abandoned in front of my house at about two months of age.

GeeCee: Found abandoned (declawed) at about four months of age at my office building in the freezing weather.

Casey: Found in my patio. Too afraid to make hand to fur contact, but desperate for food. He was about four years old. He has one blue eye and one green eye. Slowly started coming around to allowing contact. In the middle of the night a horrendous thunderstorm convinced him it was time to come inside. He snuggled up on me and fell asleep.

Miracle: My husband saw something moving in the brush while he was driving at about 70mph on the interstate. He pulled over and saw it was a cat. He called to him and the cat hesitated, but then came right to him. This poor little guy was half bald. He cried and cried. He needed lots of food, love and sleep. Today, you would never know this was the same little cat. He now looks like a minature lion and weighs about twenty pounds. We have just discovered he is diabetic and we give him two shots of insulin a day.

Alex & Abby: Brother and sister cats showed up at our door crying. I assume their family left them behind. They were malnurished. Abby still acts as though I am here "mommy cat" and snuggles in my hair to sleep.

Katy: She showed up on our patio. She initially ran when we opened the french doors. I think we startled her. It looked as though she had an injured leg. Hubby called to her and she came back. She was missing her front left leg. It never developed from birth. She has to kind of jump around to maneuver around the house, but she does amazingly well.We found out later that someone in the neighborhood put her on our patio, hoping we would take her in. They were concerned about the future vet bills they would incur. WHY didn't they just bring her to us?

Peanut: Again, abandoned on our front porch at about four months of age, needing love and food.

Missy: Again, abandoned on our front porch at about three months of age, needing love and food.

Nine little orphans. This is the reason why my family is involved with no-kill shelters.

FlMom, we must be kindred spirits!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Former Member

FlMom, we must be kindred spirits!

I'd have to agree. Kindred spirits with very kind and loving husbands! I always thought I was more of a dog person, but now I'm split 50/50.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Former Member

Thanks, DK. I promise to love my dog even when she rolls in poop at least twice a month.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
FlMom, we must be kindred spirits! http://www.websleuths.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif

I'd have to agree. Kindred spirits with very kind and loving husbands! I always thought I was more of a dog person, but now I'm split 50/50.
That's funny. I used to be a dog person, too. I always had dogs that my grandparents or parents gave to me while I was growing up. I had nothing against cats, I was just allergic to them. Now I live on clarinex, singular and flonase. It's worth it!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 AM
I am but a humble cat servant

Mfmangel1, may I be the first to say: you rock! Loved your stories of all your fur children. It takes a special sort of person to do such kindness for animals, and there are many such folk here on WS. I am honoured to be among you all!

All posts are IMHO only!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Reprobate

Quote:
...When you're having a cruddy day, take about ten seconds and look into your pets' eyes. That's where I'm blessed. I'm surrounded by unconditional love....
Cuddles and Pandora - Two red tailed boas - the breeder was "done" with them, so I took them in.

Casey - Was rescued by a vet - barbed wire around her neck to bind her to a tree - the dog she was with had to be put down immediately. She has lived with me six happy years and is currently older than dirt.

Beast, Cookie, Wrath, Rosco, LugNut - all dogs that the owners said "I'll take it to the pound if you won't take it."

Scardy Cat, Ripper, Marquis deSade and Wolfie - same story, only cats instead of dogs.

Brad, Janet and Sally - Red Eared Slider Turtles - Two the owner was moving out of state, one was in a small dish on a counter top at a party with no UVB light or heat source, so I took it.

Mergatroid - Bubblegum corn snake - Owner was moving.
Odie - Quaker Parrot - Friend of a friend didn't want it.
Freedom - large fish - Had hole in the head disease, owner gave it up.
Puff - Bearded Dragon - I actually picked this guy out, healthy from a pet store!
Slinky - Iguana - not sociable, owner didn't want it.
Zeus - a horse I bought when my kid swore she wanted to ride in shows.

Two with Japanese names from Anime Characters I can't pronounce - two skinks with "scratch and dent" problems that couldn't be sold.

SlipKnot - A three legged basalisk lizard. It was three months at the pet store and I finally bought it. I joked at the counter that it was 25% off due to one out of four legs being missing - she didn't get it and almost gave me the discount! Some kid had pulled it's leg off!

The list of critters I tried to rescue and it didn't work is long - snakes with broken necks, dogs that have been shot, neglected birds, etc. I have a pet cemetary in my back yard. They might not have been chosen by me, but they became my "pets" when I brought them in - even if they didn't get to me in time.

I feel important when I come home. :-)
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Former Member

Wow Glitch!! What a crew! Not only the usual furry suspects, but herps too. A lot of people see reptiles and run like Pee Wee Herman in the pet store fire------AAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Loved the snatch and grab with the turtle, BTW. All great saves---wonderful.

Wish I'd known your penchant for reptiles a few weeks ago. . . "Darwin", my iguana, could have used your expertise. I did the whole UV light, balanced food ratio and he still didn't make it after having him for two years. I feel weird walking the produce isle without buying his veggies now.

Looks like your a local to me too! Too bad our one herp place on Tharpe got torn down. That was about the only place in town where I trusted reptile advice.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
SlipKnot
Hehe, I chuckled at this one.