Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified

Notices

The Unidentified Help give someone their name back so they can go home! Information, research and discussion of the Unidentified.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
It's never to late to be who you could have been

CA - Sugar Pine Point, WhtFem (692UFCA), 35-45, Ring: "To Mac From PNB", Sep'79

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/692ufca.html

This seems solvable to me

Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-24-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Replaced bad link and revised thread title.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess
Yea, with the engraving on the ring, etc. I guess certain cases from the past could only be pursued so much before they ran cold. With the internet and technology today, I'll be a lot of old cases could be solved if someone had the time to dedicate doing all of the research.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-11-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:59 PM

I just don't know enough about this websleuthing I guess. I was thinking that maybe 'Mac' was a mistake... and I found a DonaMae Bayerl who was 38 who went missing in 1979 from Wisconsin. Maybe the ring actually said 'To Mae from PNB'. But I don't know how to search further.... I can't find any information on DonaMae to see if she was ever married to someone with the initials PNB. ( I know, it's a longshot)

Are there tricks to sleuthing?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
websleuth addict

i always search http://theyaremissed.org and http://missingkids.com
because you can search by many different variables.

Next, I go to the state's missing persons' clearinghouse and search through there. Some state's sites are better than others, and sadly, some state's don't have a clearinghouse at all. Texas has an extensive one, but you can only search by last name and there is no way to filter it out anymore, which REALLY bugs me. I like to seach neighboring states too, in case they crossed state lines.

If I still don't see anything that catches my eye there, then I head on to the doe network and NAMPN websites and search by timeline.

Sadly though, you can do all the searching you want, but if the person hasn't been reported missing, it's hopeless.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jodierenee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 PM

This article is 13 years old, but contains details not found on DoeNet.

Twenty years later, murder victim remains unknown

Quote:
Detective Don Atkinson said an autopsy of the woman's body revealed she died from asphyxiation and brain hemorrhaging. From tracks it appeared that the woman was chased and then her body dragged about 100 yards into the brush. She was found sprawled on her stomach, her features unrecognizable after the savage beating.

She was wearing blue jeans and a lavender pullover T-shirt. Wooden-soled sandals were found in the area. Her attacker had no interest in her jewelry. She was left with several rings, a watch, bracelet, necklace and her wedding band. The inscription inside read "To Mack from PNB."
I wish we could see a photo of the ring, because I've seen the inscription noted three ways now:
  1. To MAC from PNB
  2. To Mac from PNB
  3. To Mack from PNB

This is definitely solvable... I think it just needs more exposure? Someone who loves and is missing this woman would instantly recognize the inscription on the ring, I think.

PS the peeps who found her sound a bit sketchy... hope they were thoroughly investigated and cleared.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mayqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM

JMO
It seems most likely if you were going to inscribe a ring it would be the same for both sets.
I mean:
From Joe to Jane
From JS to JJ
From Joe Smith to Jane Jones

So I would guess it was
From MAC to PNB.
But, was this a wedding ring? Because I wouldn't imagine you would use initials like that. It could be a friendship ring or promise ring...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 AM

What about Patricia Barrett. Her initials could match the inscription https://www.findthemissing.org/en/ca...=circumstances
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Yes it could. Interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 PM
UID Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoope23 View Post
What about Patricia Barrett. Her initials could match the inscription https://www.findthemissing.org/en/ca...=circumstances
Her middle initial is "A" for Ann, so PNB would not be her initials.

But she does fit pretty closely to the physical description and the timeline.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Mainly Lurker Sometimes Sleuther

Maybe the middle letter is a nickname?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hope32 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM
UID Moderator

My thinking (though it might not be accurate) is that if she is wearing the ring, she would be "Mac" (the recipient), not PNB (the giver of the ring).

Mac isn't normally a woman's name, unless it is her initials "MAC".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM

Priscilla Anne Blevins
Missing since January 1, 1975 from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Oh, oops. I did it too, picked a middle initial A.........
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM

What about Madeline Babcock? No idea on a middle initial, or if she could have had a maiden name beginning with C. Maybe we can try to use Ancestry to find out.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7003/306/

Madeline was LKA living in California
Madeline disappeared in 68, long prior, but her disappearance could well have been voluntary.

Here is Madeline:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Charley project lists her maiden and previous married names, and none of them are "C"
s... (( Her middle name is A though...so unless there is any chance that MAC was actually MAP or MAL, I don't think this is her...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM

I was trying to think of M names that shorten nicknames that start with a different letter, so they may be on Charley or Doe under the nickname, for example:

Michelle = Shelly
Margaret = Peggy, Peg
Melissa = Lissa, Lisa
Melinda = Linda
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM

If it is really to Mac from PNB, Mac could be an affectionate nickname short for a last name like MacBean, MacDowell, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11585/8/

Margarita MacNeill? Missing in 76, a little young- she would have been 30. But LKA in CA, height and weight are good, hair color good. Her pic is so grainy, though...
The Following User Says Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM

the initials match, but not the race. Seems she did have scar and a pendant. http://www.nampn.org/cases/collins_melissa.html
Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Not many people go to state parks by themselves. So I am guessing she was with a husband or boyfriend and he was her killer. Perhaps she hasn't even been reported- it is the typical "she left me" scenario that we see all the time around here. But her age is young enough that I would think she would have parents or siblings alive to question a disappearance. She might even have had kids...

I wonder what the other rings looked like and where all the rings were placed. It is entirely possible that this "wedding ring" was an heirloom ring (from a grandparents marriage or something) that she wore out of sentimental reasons. Wearing it on a different finger would suggest that and stop us from continuing to explore the MAC stuff.

I am going to go look around for Lake Tahoe missing persons. I remember there was a nurse or something that went missing around 1980 or so.
Just thinking aloud folks...

EDIT: So the woman I was thinking of went missing in 1970. So I am off by ten years or so. But I stumbled across discussion of this Doe in another thread about Toliver or Tolliver, a man who scammed and killed women (including his wife, allegedly) during this time frame and area.

Last edited by deca; 05-01-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Hi all:
This is my first post after hanging around for a few months studying some cases and learning about sleuthing. I have been amazed at the remarkable, kind, and dedicated people here. I only hope I can eventually make a meaningful contribution, especially in Ohio, where I live.

Getting back on topic, here is my admittedly "quirky" idea: I don't think the initials on the ring are conventional names at all. I think they are nicknames, based on each person's favorite comfort food: she is "Mac" for mac & cheese; he is "PNB" for peanut butter & jelly. Even if this is not entirely correct, I think that the ring initials may be more of a hindrance than a help: unless they are being strictly formal, people might engrave all kinds of unique personal things on jewelry. So I think we should look beyond matching names to the engraving.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deirdre1230 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdre1230 View Post
Hi all:
This is my first post after hanging around for a few months studying some cases and learning about sleuthing. I have been amazed at the remarkable, kind, and dedicated people here. I only hope I can eventually make a meaningful contribution, especially in Ohio, where I live.

Getting back on topic, here is my admittedly "quirky" idea: I don't think the initials on the ring are conventional names at all. I think they are nicknames, based on each person's favorite comfort food: she is "Mac" for mac & cheese; he is "PNB" for peanut butter & jelly. Even if this is not entirely correct, I think that the ring initials may be more of a hindrance than a help: unless they are being strictly formal, people might engrave all kinds of unique personal things on jewelry. So I think we should look beyond matching names to the engraving.
Good point. For example...Mac could stand for McKenzie as a first name or McIntire, McDaniel, McMahon, etc as a last name. My mom had a Mc name as her maiden name, and everyone called her and her brothers "Mac." But, could it be M.A.C. instead of Mac? We haven't seen the engraving.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to CherBearSTL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM

First name Mackenzie or Mackinzie

Last edited by JeannieC; 05-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdre1230 View Post
Hi all:

I think you have a good point- we should not get too caught up in the initials.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
Charley project lists her maiden and previous married names, and none of them are "C"
s... (( Her middle name is A though...so unless there is any chance that MAC was actually MAP or MAL, I don't think this is her...
Madeline Anna Pouliot was my sisters Maiden name She was Married to Harold B. Larcome and to the possible perp in her dissaperence Larry Ray Babcock . Madeline was 4 ft 11 inches tall extreme high forhead . Information giving from Pat Foy Madelines sister . MAP was her initials Looking at the pictures I do not see that it is Madeline .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Pat 22 For This Useful Post: