Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Former Member

Thumbs down Newborn baby found dead in gym bag

"Police are trying to determine who left the bag and have been canvassing residents in neighborhoods near the site where the body was found and contacting hospitals for information about recent births"

I can't understand this no matter how hard I try.
Sorry if this has been posted already I searched but did not see it.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006718794
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 AM

This is just awful..

I dont think there is any way to understand it. ..there is just no reasonable understanding of how anyone could just leave a newborn in a gym bag on their own .. knowing that they are unlikely to survive especially when there is an option .. with no questions asked..
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 AM
50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

Two words. SAFE HAVEN. The entire world knows about what makes the daily everyday news. Politics, terrorists, celebrities. weather, sports, and maybe the lotto.

In this day and age, why do women still believe their best option is to discard a child?

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing
Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Love your children....

I think that it is really sad that a little boy was the one that found it. He will always remember that.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Former Member

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...13metbaby.html

Still looking for the mom, I hope they find her. I wish this was getting more coverage the bag seems recognizable. Of course if the people in this girls life didn't realize she was going to have a baby, they most likley won't notice a missing bag. Unless the the people in this girls life spent so much time at the gym they missed the pregnancy but notice the gym bag missing. I say girl because this is not the act of a woman but a child, no matter what her age is.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
Two words. SAFE HAVEN. The entire world knows about what makes the daily everyday news. Politics, terrorists, celebrities. weather, sports, and maybe the lotto.

In this day and age, why do women still believe their best option is to discard a child?
Not enough advertising on that. Wish there were public service media campaigns in Safe Haven states. Those commercials should be run on stations like MTV, VH1, Nicolodeon, etc. The ones young people and teens frequently watch. Also ad banners on popular websites, YouTube, MySpace. I think this happens because the teens don't have a clue they CAN leave their baby in a safe place with no questions asked. From what I've read, these mothers are usually very young and scared their "secret" will be found out. They ruin their whole lives because they are scared and don't know what to do.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Country Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby

terribly sad, but safe haven only counts for 3 days. thats not enough.

too many dont know about it. i didnt until i came to ws, and im 31.

i think there should be a law that if a mother really cant handle being a parent, she should be able to leave the child at any safe place at whatever age.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Reprobate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira

i think there should be a law that if a mother really cant handle being a parent, she should be able to leave the child at any safe place at whatever age.
There would be a run on teenagers being left there.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
A few years ago, If I coulda, I surely woulda!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM

This is so sad. I actually feel like I can understand why a girl would discard her baby. To a stressd, immature, scared, selfish child, I'm sure an unwanted pregnancy feels like a problem, not a person.

I too think that most people do not know about Safe Haven - especially the people most likely to benefit from its protection. Sad as it is, each time an abandoned infant is found, the Safe Haven law gets more exposure. I wish we would advertise its existence somewhere other than over the graves of unwanted newborns.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcitymom
This is so sad. I actually feel like I can understand why a girl would discard her baby. To a stressd, immature, scared, selfish child, I'm sure an unwanted pregnancy feels like a problem, not a person.

I too think that most people do not know about Safe Haven - especially the people most likely to benefit from its protection. Sad as it is, each time an abandoned infant is found, the Safe Haven law gets more exposure. I wish we would advertise its existence somewhere other than over the graves of unwanted newborns.
What's sad is the advertising can be done for free to get the word out to these young girls, as a PSA. All media outlets must run a percentage of advertising for free each year, ie PSA's. The actual production of these announcements could be donated by an ad agency or underwritten by a corporation and written off. I had to go find out if Texas was a Safe Haven state, and found out TX was the first state to pass a law.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsafehaven/faq.html
Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira

What state are you located in? I think it depends on the State (how many days) because here in Texas it is 60 days.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMae
Not enough advertising on that. Wish there were public service media campaigns in Safe Haven states. Those commercials should be run on stations like MTV, VH1, Nicolodeon, etc. The ones young people and teens frequently watch. Also ad banners on popular websites, YouTube, MySpace. I think this happens because the teens don't have a clue they CAN leave their baby in a safe place with no questions asked. From what I've read, these mothers are usually very young and scared their "secret" will be found out. They ruin their whole lives because they are scared and don't know what to do.
I think this is a great idea. Especially advertising on MTV, Nick, etc. Places where kids would see it.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Former Member

It must vary by state. The link I posted above says it's 30 day for NJ. The have a great tag line...just wish more knew about it....

Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
What's sad is the advertising can be done for free to get the word out to these young girls, as a PSA. All media outlets must run a percentage of advertising for free each year, ie PSA's. The actual production of these announcements could be donated by an ad agency or underwritten by a corporation and written off. I had to go find out if Texas was a Safe Haven state, and found out TX was the first state to pass a law.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsafehaven/faq.html
I wonder who we could contact asking that more PSAs be made about this? I will do a little research on that tonight.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcitymom
I wonder who we could contact asking that more PSAs be made about this? I will do a little research on that tonight.
When I was in the agency business, I would contact the local sales reps to arrange PSA air time. Each network/cable station had a rep that handled national ads also for the market. Cable stations like Lifetime, MTV, etc do have national ad managers. But the best place to start is the local sales manager for the networks, and cable providers. They get their air schedules from the corp sales offices of the various cable stations, so they would know who to talk to. Being an agency we produced local PSA spots for an animal rescue, the PD on juvenile crimes, charity events and others. We even used our kids in a couple of them, they worked for pizza back then.

Would probaby start this campaign in the major markets, NY, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, etc. The smaller cable markets & network stations could pick up the spots for "filler" when there are no paid ads running, or they need to meet their PSA quota. All they would have to do is request the spot. It's been 9 years since I've been in the business, but that's how I would get it rolling.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Former Member

I went back to the link I posted for NJ, and apparently they did have tv and radio announcements made. But the last updates were from 2001 on press releases.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsafehaven/downloads.html

I wonder if other state did awareness campaigns when the act was passed in their state. Maybe these need to be run again. Might only involve paying residuals to the talent in the spots which I think the state should pay. Would be well worth it to put the word out again, and maybe save a baby's life. I don't recall ever seeing one in TX.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Be Better at Every Age

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
Where do I drop her?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Be Better at Every Age

Seriously is there a knowledgeble person out there that has an inkling on how to get national attention, national day. As I have said before though one woman dropped her child off and they were searching for her via all the media if its safe haven no questions asked why work so hard on trying to find the mother. Which made other women aware that it isn't no questions asked.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3dd
Seriously is there a knowledgeble person out there that has an inkling on how to get national attention, national day. As I have said before though one woman dropped her child off and they were searching for her via all the media if its safe haven no questions asked why work so hard on trying to find the mother. Which made other women aware that it isn't no questions asked.
Where did that happen? It's not supposed to IF it's in a Safe Haven state. I think all but 17 states have a Safe Haven act. If she dropped her child off in one without it, yes, they would probably treat it as a crime, abandonment.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
MURDERED 10/21/05 - TERRYANDDARLEEN.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindi77
I think that it is really sad that a little boy was the one that found it. He will always remember that.
This is sad. The little boy will forever remember that. WOW. poor boy. My heart is crying for this baby. Like Cubby said - there are other means if you do not want your child. Give it a chance at least to live a life.

very sad.

Rosco
Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 PM

I only know about the Safe Haven Act because I've read about it on here. I don't know if Washington state has it or not. I also think that there shouldn't be a certain number of days in which a baby can be dropped off. The mom may take the baby home and try to take care of it but in a month she realizes she can't cope with the crying and constant responsibility then she becomes frantic to give the baby to someone.

There should be advertisement of the Act everywhere that people can read it. Especially where teens will know about it. It's like it is there but it is a big secret.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Where did that happen? It's not supposed to IF it's in a Safe Haven state. I think all but 17 states have a Safe Haven act. If she dropped her child off in one without it, yes, they would probably treat it as a crime, abandonment.
If it's the case I'm thinking of (Marion County, TN), the mother was being searched for because she had left the infant in a non-Safe Haven designated spot. The baby was left at a Head Start facility during school hours, on the sidewalk beside a school bus where it (I hate to call a baby "it", but I can't remember the gender) would be found quickly.

Reading between the lines, law enforcement didn't seem to be searching for the mother very diligently, probably because they were happy she left the baby where it would be found instead of killing it, kwim? The media, of course, was all over the story like stink on a skunk anyway.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3dd
I know that I have heard about women dropping off their baby at least twice here in N. Texas. One I do remember there being a big hoopla over it but it was because the baby's aunt showed up at the fire station demanding the baby (this baby was like six weeks I think and the mom must have told her sister where she took the baby) and then I think the babys father did too. I don't remember it that well because it was a long tims ago just that it was a big deal and all over the news.

There was a baby left at another fire station about a month ago too that I remember hearing about. On the news they talked with the firefighters and showed the fire station and talked about how the mother drove in to the parking lot and then left several times before coming in to the station. It was all very detailed on the news even talking about the neighborhood that the fire station is located in.

Both times when I saw these stories I did think that having so much attention focused on them on the news that it might scare away girls thinking about using this law. I know that they want to get the law out there but I think it would work better by PSAs or the news reporting on the law instead of focusing on the cases that are supposed to be anonymous.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP
I know that I have heard about women dropping off their baby at least twice here in N. Texas. One I do remember there being a big hoopla over it but it was because the baby's aunt showed up at the fire station demanding the baby (this baby was like six weeks I think and the mom must have told her sister where she took the baby) and then I think the babys father did too. I don't remember it that well because it was a long tims ago just that it was a big deal and all over the news.

There was a baby left at another fire station about a month ago too that I remember hearing about. On the news they talked with the firefighters and showed the fire station and talked about how the mother drove in to the parking lot and then left several times before coming in to the station. It was all very detailed on the news even talking about the neighborhood that the fire station is located in.

Both times when I saw these stories I did think that having so much attention focused on them on the news that it might scare away girls thinking about using this law. I know that they want to get the law out there but I think it would work better by PSAs or the news reporting on the law instead of focusing on the cases that are supposed to be anonymous.
I agree!