CANADA Canada - Marianne Schuett, 10, Kilbride, Ont, 27 April 1967

Richard

Reaction score
Marianne Schuett, 10, Missing 27 April 1967 from Kilbride, Ontario, Canada

40 Years ago...

Marianne Schuett
Missing since April 27, 1967 from Kilbride, Ontario, Canada.
Classification: Stranger Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Schuett vanished on her way home from Kilbride School near Burlington, at 4 p.m. on April 27, 1967. Two workers driving home from the nearby American Motors plant saw a man in a dark blue Renault station wagon at the side of the road talking out of the window to a little girl in a red car coat. One of the workers saw in his rear view mirror how the girl got into the car. Her running shoe was found two days later on the side of a highway 14 km away.

The police composite drawing showed a pointy-faced man in light-rimmed glasses and a canvas fedora. A witness account told of a nervous-looking man cleaning out his vehicle and wiping it with a dry cloth at a empty picnic spot near Dundas two days after Marianne went missing.

The car was a dark blue Renault station wagon. The description of the man fit that of the American Motors workers, not yet released to the public. The witness had taken take down the car's licence number.

The report was for unknown reasons never followed up. 23 years afterwards the case was reopened and the investigators did follow it up. They checked the licence number. It had belonged to a dark blue Renault station wagon. It was owned by a man with a history of pedophilia. He'd been jailed in 1972 for attempted abduction of an 11-year-old girl who managed to run away from his car. While the police was building their case against him he committed suicide.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
613-993-1525

Source Information:
The Hamilton Spectator
The Doe Network: Case File 534DFON

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/534dfon.html

Not much doubt about what happened to that kid :(

Marianne Schuett, 10, Missing 27 April 1967 from Kilbride, Ontario, Canada

... 23 years afterwards the case was reopened and the investigators did follow it up. They checked the licence number. It had belonged to a dark blue Renault station wagon. It was owned by a man with a history of pedophilia. He'd been jailed in 1972 for attempted abduction of an 11-year-old girl who managed to run away from his car. While the police was building their case against him he committed suicide. ...

It would be nice to know the specifics of the Police case against this guy. How many other unsolved cases might be linked to him? Where he lived, worked, camped, traveled, etc might lead to discovery of this little girl's body.

^^^As it states above, police were investigating when the suspect killed himself.

Those years were difficult times in Canada. They were the years of the US-Russian cold war, the generation gap, Aboriginal suffrage, union strikes, women's lib, the introduction of public health care, and other such issues that strained the nation. There wasn't much priority placed on a lost kid. Sexual assaults we're taken seriously and pedophilia was discounted. There were no mandatory reporting laws in the '60s. No doubt the mother was told to keep a better eye on her kids and it was left at that.

Noting the style of car indicated here, iirc, have read different descriptions of the vehicle. imo.
rbbm.

http://www.haltonpolice.ca/CrimeFiles/Lists/MissingPersons/DispForm.aspx?ID=4
At 4:00 p.m., on Thursday, April 27, 1967, SCHUETT left the Kilbride Public School situated at the northern section of the City of Burlington. The child had only 400 yards to go to her home but never arrived. She was last seen in the vicinity of the school driveway talking to an unknown male person who was seated in an motorvehicle. SCHUETT is believed to have been abducted by this man. The suspect is described only as being approximately 40 years of age, with a thin face and wearing glasses. The vehicle is believed to be a small or compact size European model, dark blue or black in colour, with a chrome section across the back. Extensive investigation and exhaustive land and air searches have been carried out; however, to date, this person has not been located.

If you have any information on this case, please call Regional Investigative Services at 905-825-4747 ext. 8760 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Bumping. Marianne is still missing, even though police believe they know who abducted her. 51 years have passed.

MarianneSchuett_Super_Portrait.jpg

Marianne Schuett was last seen on April 27, 1967 walking home from Kilbride Public School in rural Burlington. - Schuett family photo

I grew up in nearby Milton. My best friend bought a house in Kilbride 8 years ago. This is when I first heard of Marianne Schuett and this very chilling story. It always bothered me about the Blue Renault and the suspect cleaning out his car. I was wondering if anyone has any additional information about this. Different sources site Limehouse Conservation Area or an Dundas area campsite. These are very far apart <modsnip: no source link to verify info>

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in nearby Milton. My best friend bought a house in Kilbride 8 years ago. This is when I first heard of Marianne Schuett and this very chilling story. It always bothered me about the Blue Renault and the suspect cleaning out his car. I was wondering if anyone has any additional information about this. Different sources site Limehouse Conservation Area or an Dundas area campsite. These are very far apart <modsnip: no source link to verify info>
Welcome to Ws ElectricSleuth, thanks for the extra tidbits!

Last edited by a moderator:
MSchuett.jpg
MSchuett1.jpg

Marianne Schuett
Missing since April 27, 1967 from Kilbride, Ontario, Canada.
Classification: Stranger Abduction

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: 1957
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 10 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'6" (139 cm); 70-80 lbs. (32-36 kg)
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Medium brown hair, cut in bangs at front and ear length in back. Greenish-blue eyes. Appears to be slightly stooped and is very mild mannered.
    • Clothing: Red reversible jacket (reverse color beige); green skirt; blue sweater, blue running shoes.
Circumstances of Disappearance

Marianne Schuett vanished on her way home from Kilbride School at the northern section of the City of Burlington, at 16.00 on April 27, 1967.

Two workers driving home from the nearby American Motors plant saw a man in a dark blue Renault station wagon or a small or compact size European model, dark blue or black in color, with a chrome section across the back. This man was at the side of the road talking out of the window to a little girl in a red coat. One of the workers saw in his rear view mirror how the girl got into the car, which then drove straight past her home. Marianne was reported missing after several hours.

One of the largest searches in Canadian history was organized in an effort to find Marianne and to identify her abductor. A blue sneaker was found in the Speyside area near Highway 25 in Milton, similar in size and color to sneakers worn by Marianne. The police composite drawing showed a thin-faced man, approximately 40 years of age, in light-rimmed glasses and a canvas fedora. A witness account told of a nervous-looking man cleaning out his vehicle and wiping it with a dry cloth at a empty picnic spot near Dundas two days after Marianne went missing. The car was a dark blue Renault station wagon. The description of the man fit that of the American Motors workers, not yet released to the public. The witness had taken down the car's license number.

The report was for unknown reasons never followed up. 23 years afterward the case was reopened and the investigators did follow the lead. The license number had belonged to a dark blue Renault station wagon. It was owned by a man with a history of pedophilia. He'd been jailed in 1972 for attempted abduction of an 11-year-old girl who managed to run away from his car. The same suspect was also investigated for alleged sexual assaults of two Ancaster girls aged 3 and 9 between 1971-78. Investigators say one of the alleged victims came forward in December 1990 to report the incidents to police. That prompted a second accuser to come forward with allegations of assault against the same individual. Before any resolution of the complaints, the suspect committed suicide. Since there were insufficient grounds to lay charges in Marianne's disappearance, it could be possible that someone else was involved. However, investigators also say there was only one person sighted in the vehicle and the original suspect is the most probable.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
CrimeStoppers
1-800-222-TIPS

Source Information:
The Hamilton Spectator
The Hamilton Police
Burlington Post 8/1/08
The Doe Network: Case File 534DFON

2019 rbbm.
''The person considered to be the prime suspect in the cases took his own life in January 1991, several months after Halton police investigated his possible involvement in Marianne’s abduction.

The man had been living in Burlington with his wife and children when Marianne disappeared. Halton police have previously confirmed the suspect was jailed in 1972 for the attempted abduction of a 17-year-old girl on Hampton Heath Road in Burlington. The same suspect was also investigated for alleged sexual assaults of two Ancaster girls aged three and nine between 1971-78.''

''The last solid lead in the cold case came in 2011, when Halton police followed up on a tip and searched an abandoned well, wrote Millar in a missing persons book he penned that year entitled, I’m Missing — Please Find Me. Bones were found, but they were determined to be from an animal.''

While Marianne’s case has fallen off the radar of mainstream media in recent years, there are online groups of individuals touched by her story and web sleuths who are quietly keeping her memory alive while working to develop theories on what happened all those years ago.

On Facebook, a small group has been formed in Marianne’s name by local resident Betty McMullen.

“As a child, I was involved in the ground search, along with my family, for Marianne — a process that never has left my memory,” she said. “I would like to see this case solved.”

After creating the group, McMullen said she was contacted by a woman searching for own missing family member, Noreen Greenley, who vanished from Bowmanville in 1963 at the age of 13. The group feels strongly that there’s a connection between the two cases.

Elsewhere on discussion boards geared to web sleuths, members speculate over potential links to the unresolved murder of Lynne Harper — a case that gained notoriety with Steven Truscott’s conviction and decades-later acquittal.''

Marianne+Schuett.jpg
Marianne+Schuett2.jpg

Marianne Schuett
Born: 1956.

Last seen: 4pm April 27, 1967 at Kilbride Public School in Burlington, Ontario.

Physical description: White, female, 4'5" tall, brown ear-length hair with bangs, green-blue eyes. She was wearing a reversible jacket: red on the exterior, beige interior. She also had on a blue sweater, green skirt, and blue shoes.

Distinct marks: None.

Leads: She was last seen speaking with an unknown man in a motor vehicle after school. She is believed to have been abducted by him (sketch below).

Schuett+Suspect.jpg

Schuett+Suspect+Car.jpg

Suspect's physical description: White, male, thin-faced, wearing glasses and a fedora.

Suspect's automobile: Small or compact-sized European vehicle, dark blue or black with chrome across the back.

Some links to the story:

Abduction of Marianne Schuett

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2942514-what-really-happened-to-marianne-schuett-/

A LITTLE GIRL IS MISSING | Maclean's | JANUARY 1968

Marianne Schuett — The Missed Lives Project

- Please Bring Me Home

Missing Person - View Occurrence

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members