Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Former Member

Ohio; Murder Victim's father attacks killer in Ohio courtroom

link

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio The father of a murder victim dived across the defense table, swung at his son's killer and tried to choke him in an eastern Ohio courtroom on Monday before a sheriff and other law enforcement officers pulled the two men apart.
Antonio Clifford, 20, of Cincinnati had just pleaded guilty to aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and tampering with evidence in the July 29, 2006, shooting death of Joshua Ryan Sweat, 28, of Weirton, W.Va.
Sweat was trying to buy drugs behind a Steubenville bar when he was robbed and shot once in the back of the head. He died later at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Before sentencing Clifford on Monday, Jefferson County Common Pleas Judge Joseph Bruzzese Jr. allowed Sweat's relatives to stand and read statements.
Mike Sweat, the victim's father, approached Clifford saying he wanted to show him a picture. He then attacked and screamed obscenities at Clifford while police wrestled Sweat to the ground.
Sweat was taken to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, where Sheriff Fred Abdalla said he calmed down. Sweat will likely not be charged, Abdalla said.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Old 08-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Former Member

Admittedly, the man why buying drugs...but he didn't deserve to be robbed and hot from behind. I cannot blame his father for attacking the murderer. Only sad he wasn't able to infilct great bodily harm on this individual.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were the father.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
Admittedly, the man why buying drugs...but he didn't deserve to be robbed and hot from behind. I cannot blame his father for attacking the murderer. Only sad he wasn't able to infilct great bodily harm on this individual.
Dear Bakerprune,
I agree 100% with your post. Thank-you.

Much Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows
Old 08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
I can't say I wouldn't do the same if I were the father.
Very dear SewingDeb,
I hope that I do not offend you or anyone else here, but I want to say that I would have snapped his neck instead of choking him.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

No offense taken, Dark Shadows. I'm glad the father will not likely face charges.

You're such a dear, I can't imagine you snapping a neck but under the right circumstances, I think anyone could be driven to it.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
No offense taken, Dark Shadows. I'm glad the father will not likely face charges.

You're such a dear, I can't imagine you snapping a neck but under the right circumstances, I think anyone could be driven to it.
My very dear SewingDeb,
Thank-you for not being offended.
"The wrath of a mother" would be a circumstance of what I said. My son means everything to be and I would not think twice about doing what I said if anyone took my son off the earth. Another circumstance would be self preservation.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows