Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Former Member

Mentally ill man slits throat of CU student in Boulder, CO

Why oh why do we let these people off as legally insane?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...683314,00.html

The student will live after surgery, but this man was out in the community after being found innocent because of insanity in a prior attempted murder charge. Now he's trying to be placed in a job. When will we learn?

Video here:

http://cw2.trb.com/
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Former Member

thank god the kid is ok. if he fooled the doctors into thinking he was better once i dont have alot of faith in them this time.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

If one is truly insane, I am all for the insanity defense- Insanity is very real, that much I know.

BUT I don't think they should be let back out into society with a history of violent crime.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Former Member

I'm all for the insanity defense for the insane - but I'm also all for keeping them involuntarily committed to institutions. It shouldn't have taken even the previous murder conviction for him to be committed, for good. Right now - they can't keep them if they aren't positive they are an immediate danger to themselves or others - the bar is set so low that very dangerous people must be set free, if their insanity convinces them they are OK, even OK without meds or whatever.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnGoddess View Post
Why oh why do we let these people off as legally insane?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...683314,00.html

The student will live after surgery, but this man was out in the community after being found innocent because of insanity in a prior attempted murder charge. Now he's trying to be placed in a job. When will we learn?

Video here:

http://cw2.trb.com/
What a disturbing, ugly way to start the year off for those Colorado University students. The University atmoshpere nationwide is growing more and more wary, after last year's killing spree with Virg. Tech.

What's it going to take to start evaluating the mental disability of some of these "prone to violent" people. The system breaks down, when these mentally ill individuals fall through the cracks and somehow appears to be "normal", till they strike out again.

Increased security on college campuses, and student awareness should be implemented into student orientation nationwide!!

After this macabre stunt, the mental institution should be the only place this guy sees...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLostGrl View Post
If one is truly insane, I am all for the insanity defense- Insanity is very real, that much I know.

BUT I don't think they should be let back out into society with a history of violent crime.
Of course not. Violent crime is not acceptable and to allow people will a history of this is criminal in iself. Most people with mental illness do not lash out in violence they hold it in crying silently.