Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Former Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21181501/

What a terrible tragedy. I can't understand how someone so young could become a cop either. But if he's 20, it sounds as if two of the victims graduated in his same class. Those poor kids, they had absolutely no chance.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21181501/

What a terrible tragedy. I can't understand how someone so young could become a cop either. But if he's 20, it sounds as if two of the victims graduated in his same class. Those poor kids, they had absolutely no chance.
Fox just showed the gunman's photo. It does look like the same guy on myspace. He is a little older in the ms photo. Its probably a recent photo. The one on Fox looks like one of him in high school. Looked like a nice friendly clean cut teenager.

They have been saying this was his longtime girlfriend. I wonder how long they had dated.

imoo
Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Former Member

My teenaged daughter is 17 and doesn't date, thank God. It's getting so you don't know who to trust your child with. This man was a police officer, for heaven sakes.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
I wonder if this is the perp. He may have moved recently to Canden.

imo
On the News they stated he was born & raised in Crandon.
News could be wrong.......but thats what they said.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheko1 View Post
Did you see the photo that they showed? He sure looks like the guy on myspace though except the picture on tv was when he was in high school.

Maybe he put another town in on myspace because he didn't really want others to know exactly where he lived.

Oh well it may not be him but he sure favors the guy. Dark hair and all.

imoo
Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
Did you see the photo that they showed? He sure looks like the guy on myspace though except the picture on tv was when he was in high school.

Maybe he put another town in on myspace because he didn't really want others to know exactly where he lived.

Oh well it may not be him but he sure favors the guy. Dark hair and all.

imoo
I did see the picture of him & your correct it sure did look like him.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Former Member

Well, I know from some searches that he went to Eleva-Strum high school... I haven't googled the locations, but isn't it possible those two cities are close together?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Former Member

Two or more towns could share a high school. It happens all the time in small communities.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Former Member

Now I'm wondering because I don't think he looks the same! The one at the Fox news site looks like such a happy, healthy young man. What in the world goes so wrong that you go ballistic and kill others and then yourself? Over a GIRL? How are kids getting the message that this is ok to do?

Anyway, Fox news says the pic is from the Crandon HS yearbook. There was a TP that went to Eleva-Strum though, and was in athletics.

My prayers are with all the families and friends right now. In such a small town everyone will have trouble with this one.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 AM

School District of Crandon

Teenager says Crandon High School students among victims

Seven Dead in Shooting Rampage
Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
Now I'm wondering because I don't think he looks the same! The one at the Fox news site looks like such a happy, healthy young man. What in the world goes so wrong that you go ballistic and kill others and then yourself? Over a GIRL? How are kids getting the message that this is ok to do?

Anyway, Fox news says the pic is from the Crandon HS yearbook. There was a TP that went to Eleva-Strum though, and was in athletics.

My prayers are with all the families and friends right now. In such a small town everyone will have trouble with this one.

Eleva is South of Eau Claire Wi / it would be quite a ways from Crandon.To far for them to share a high school. I googled them & its 188 miles one way.

I heard this AM that one of the kids is in critical condition from injuries. Has anyone heard yet what time the presser is?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM
A thousand miles from nowhere.....

I happened to see this story on my Comcast homepage this morning and came here to WS to find out more. What a sad, sad story. My thoughts and prayers to the victim's families and the whole town.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:00 AM

Just found these, my prayers are with the families! More Top Stories

TVNZ
Town reels after rampage kills 6
Chicago Tribune - 23 minutes ago
By Robert Gutsche Jr. | Special to the Tribune October 8, 2007 MADISON, Wis. - A 20-year-old lawman shattered the calm of a small logging town in the North Woods of Wisconsin on Sunday morning, crashing a house party and shooting to death six high ...
Police track down deputy who stormed party, killed six people CNN International
Jilted police officer kills six in Wisconsin rampage New York Daily News
Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 AM

On the News lastnight they stated Lindsay Stahl (14 yr old killed in rampage ) & Peterson ( shooter) were related. Stahl's Dad is a fireman.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Former Member

Quote:

That doesn't mean he lives there now though, does it? Or, do you have to live in the town you work in as a police officer? Maybe he had to live in another place in order to be a Deputy though, and got a pass because of that?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatK View Post
That doesn't mean he lives there now though, does it? Or, do you have to live in the town you work in as a police officer? Maybe he had to live in another place in order to be a Deputy though, and got a pass because of that?
I am certain a deputy has to live in the county he works for. At least the deputies I know & the local LE has to live in the township. At least thats the way it is here.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Eleva is South of Eau Claire Wi / it would be quite a ways from Crandon.To far for them to share a high school. I googled them & its 188 miles one way.

I heard this AM that one of the kids is in critical condition from injuries. Has anyone heard yet what time the presser is?
Thanks for clearing that up, cheko1.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM

Your welcome, Taximom.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Help Find Maura Murray

from one story I read, it sounded like the 14 yr-old as his girlfriend but it makes more sense that it was the 18-year old girl.

This is so sad. The killer is too young to have been a deputy sheriff!! That's just crazy.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Help Find Maura Murray

Quote:
Just found these, my prayers are with the families! More Top Stories

TVNZ
Town reels after rampage kills 6
Chicago Tribune - 23 minutes ago
By Robert Gutsche Jr. | Special to the Tribune October 8, 2007 MADISON, Wis. - A 20-year-old lawman shattered the calm of a small logging town in the North Woods of Wisconsin on Sunday morning, crashing a house party and shooting to death six high ...
Police track down deputy who stormed party, killed six people CNN International
Jilted police officer kills six in Wisconsin rampage New York Daily News
thanks for the links. wow, this line of the Tribune story kills me

"A second victim was Bradley Schultz, 20, a third-year student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee who was home to visit his friends, said his aunt Sharon Pisarek.

"We still don't have many details, but from what they've told us, there was a girl next to him and he was covering her, protecting her," she said, sobbing. "He was loved by everybody. He was everybody's son.""

Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 AM

Apparently, Peterson acted without thinking through the consequences of his actions and did not even consider how this would forever impact the lives of his friends and relatives or the community.

One defining characteristic of an adult is that he/she thinks long term. When this happens is different for each person, but 20 seems quite young. I wonder how long he had been an officer. Peterson was also dating a high school student, which indicates to me that he hadn't really moved on from his own h.s. years and was still not what most persons would call an adult either by age or by maturity.

What Crandon and Forest County did was essentially to arm a kid they thought - probably by background - would be a good clean fit. Obviously, this was not enough. Peterson's pictures show a clean-cut guy, but revealed nothing about what was inside of him. Although nothing is guaranteed, Wisconsin should at least have an age limit of 21 for LE officers. It will be interesting to see how his pre-murder behaviors unfold as the investigation progresses.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
A diamond in process

A possible reason for the change of address: He is from a small town. He would have to go elsewhere to get the law enforcement training. So he could have grown up in Crandon, graduated in the last few years, moved to a larger community for LE courses, then moved back to his hometown so he could get a job.

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM

http://www.co.forest.wi.gov/county/a...ntyName=Forest

I note that Peterson is NOT listed as a deputy for Forest County. Either he was very new or his name has been removed.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
Here is a link to the Forest County Sheriffs Dept Staff List. Peterson was so new he wasn't listed yet.

http://tinyurl.com/2zghsg
Trino, here is my post from yesterday. Peterson had only been with Forest County a short time.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
They think Tyler Peterson, an employee of just one week, opened fire at a party late last night

http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/10300257.html
He had only been an employee of Forest County for one week.