Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssheila View Post
Hi Guys- I was listening to Wisconsin Public Radio today, and the host Ben Merens was discussing this incident with a reporter. The reporter had spoken directly with the man who spent the last hours with the suspect after the shooting. Some interesting information came about. I hope there is a transcript. Here's a link to the host's page.

http://wpr.org/webcasting/audioarchi...y.cfm?Code=bme

Thank you mssheila! I am listening to it now.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheko1 View Post
In 1 article I read he was depressed on account of the break up.
He had seen some friends about *;30 pm & told them he was going home.
In Wis you apparently can be a cop at 19, scarey as it sounds. Its not what you know in Wi its who you know.
Yes, he must have cared deeply for this girl. I don't think he had any intentions of going there....not at 8:30 pm anyway. He probably drove by there later and recognized all the cars in the driveway and he may could have seen them through the windows from the outside. IMO he probably parked somewhere close by and began obsessing about what he thought was going on in that house and how quickly she had gone on with her life. When he couldn't control himself anymore I think that is when he approached the door pleading with her to be his girlfriend again but when the others and maybe she started calling him names like "worthless pig" he went ballistic. I think they probably said many other things to him than just the "pig" statement.

I think this had a lot to do with immaturity. One of the Cranden citizens yesterday said this was a crime of passion. I wish he had just left and calmed down and remembered that no crisis last forever and in time it would have been better.

The father of his friend said that TP was very remorseful for what he had done and that is why imo he made the confrontation happen with the Swat Team. He knew one pull of the sniper's trigger and it would be all over for him and he wouldn't have to think about what he had done to so many innocent people including his own parents.

imoo
Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
Yes, he must have cared deeply for this girl. I don't think he had any intentions of going there....not at 8:30 pm anyway. He probably drove by there later and recognized all the cars in the driveway and he may could have seen them through the windows from the outside. IMO he probably parked somewhere close by and began obsessing about what he thought was going on in that house and how quickly she had gone on with her life. When he couldn't control himself anymore I think that is when he approached the door pleading with her to be his girlfriend again but when the others and maybe she started calling him names like "worthless pig" he went ballistic. I think they probably said many other things to him than just the "pig" statement.

I think this had a lot to do with immaturity. One of the Cranden citizens yesterday said this was a crime of passion. I wish he had just left and calmed down and remembered that no crisis last forever and in time it would have been better.

The father of his friend said that TP was very remorseful for what he had done and that is why imo he made the confrontation happen with the Swat Team. He knew one pull of the sniper's trigger and it would be all over for him and he wouldn't have to think about what he had done to so many innocent people including his own parents.imoo
One can only imagine what life behind bars would have been for a cop who killed 6 unarmed people, one of them just 14. Peterson, undoubtedly, knew all of this before the last time he walked out.

A previous poster said that a person could be a cop at age 19 in WI. Can you imagine a middle-aged couple involved in a domestic dispute calling 911 and having a kid arrive? Or, how about an underage cop arresting someone for under-age drinking? Crazy.

Here's what it takes to be a cop in Wisconsin:
The state of Wisconsin doesn't make a psychological evaluation mandatory. The state says applicants should not possess mental or emotional troubles that would adversely affect their duties as an officer. Applicants must also be at least 18 years of age, have a two-year associate degree or 60 college-level credits, and have no felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence. What is Wisconsin thinking?

http://www.wisn.com/news/14296792/detail.html

According to this article, Peterson was hired as full-time deputy sheriff on Sept. 11, 2006, at the age of 19, according to personnel records released by the Forest County clerk.

Nineteen and you can be a full-time deputy? Again, what is Wisconsin thinking?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM

I wonder who and why the people at the party called Peterson a "worthless pig." He held a full-time and a part-time job. That doesn't seem worthless to me.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trino View Post
I wonder who and why the people at the party called Peterson a "worthless pig." He held a full-time and a part-time job. That doesn't seem worthless to me.
And he must have had the college credits to get that job.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Many of the reasons they hire young inexperienced cops is its cheap labor. They can hire LE for $8000.00 to $12,000.00 per yr. The less experience the cheaper the labor.

I am sure that will be the case for TP. The small towns don't have much in the line of budgets for LE.

I heard tonight, TP had a very bad temper. Someone in LE had to of known that about him in a small town.

I still think he was hired by someone who was related to him on the council board / LE / mayor or someone of importance.Thats small town Wi.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Former Member

Quote:
In 1 article I read he was depressed on account of the break up.
He had seen some friends about *;30 pm & told them he was going home.
In Wis you apparently can be a cop at 19, scarey as it sounds. Its not what you know in Wi its who you know.
cheko1,
hi and thanks for the information.
Earlier this evening I got a chance to watch a news report about the shootings--understandably it's devastated the entire town. Fox News reported that the shooter's parents were grieving with the families of those who were killed....the community was that close knit.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 PM

To become a Deputy Sheriff in the state of Wis:

The state says applicants should not possess mental or emotional troubles that would adversely affect their duties as an officer. Applicants must also be at least 18 years of age, have a two-year associate degree or 60 college-level credits, and have no felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence.

This doesn't really make sense, if TP was hired at 19 how could he of got his 2 yr associate degree? Or 60 college level credits?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philamena View Post
cheko1,
hi and thanks for the information.
Earlier this evening I got a chance to watch a news report about the shootings--understandably it's devastated the entire town. Fox News reported that the shooter's parents were grieving with the families of those who were killed....the community was that close knit.
Yes they are related to some of them. 2 of the guys he killed were his very best friends......it's just so sad.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Former Member

OMG! I hadn't read that. How sad.....
Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philamena View Post
OMG! I hadn't read that. How sad.....
On the News this morning I heard that the 14 yr old girl who he killed was related to him. News painted all of them as very close friends.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Former Member

And how can anyone truly assess someone that young for emotional fitness?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Watch out for my thorns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
And how can anyone truly assess someone that young for emotional fitness?
I'm not sure how other agencies do things, but when my son applied for the CHP, part of the exam process was an written test where they asked him some deep questions, such as "Do you hate your sibling?", "Do you love to garden", "Do you hate roses?".

They also wanted to know everything about his life, from fighting with siblings to shoplifting, problems in school, to drug use... very in depth.

The next process is the oral interview where they ask you about your answers on the written portions of the test.

Third is the "voice stress" test aka lie detector test

Fourth they ask your 5 close non-related references questions about you and your attitudes, views, feelings, etc.

They warn at the beginning of all the testing... out of 50 applicants only about 5 will go on to the academy.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRose99 View Post
I'm not sure how other agencies do things, but when my son applied for the CHP, part of the exam process was an written test where they asked him some deep questions, such as "Do you hate your sibling?", "Do you love to garden", "Do you hate roses?".

They also wanted to know everything about his life, from fighting with siblings to shoplifting, problems in school, to drug use... very in depth.

The next process is the oral interview where they ask you about your answers on the written portions of the test.

Third is the "voice stress" test aka lie detector test

Fourth they ask your 5 close non-related references questions about you and your attitudes, views, feelings, etc.

They warn at the beginning of all the testing... out of 50 applicants only about 5 will go on to the academy.
Thanks MagicRose,
I wondered what agencies in other states did, before hiring LE.
Apparently Wis is really lax in the hiring of LE. Since even the Govenor never knew the process maybe that will get changed now.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Former Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post

The father of his friend said that TP was very remorseful for what he had done and that is why imo he made the confrontation happen with the Swat Team. He knew one pull of the sniper's trigger and it would be all over for him and he wouldn't have to think about what he had done to so many innocent people including his own parents.

imoo
Imagine what this girl friends life would have been like if she had married him.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Semper Fi

I guess I am searching for answers. But Peterson, almost looks like an over achiever. If he met the college credits and taken swat training as reported, and held two law enforcement jobs, he accomplished alot by the age of 20. I haven't heard anyone saying anything bad about this guy. Then you have his peer group calling him a worthless pig. Why would his good friends and family members turn on him like that? In the radio program it was stated that this was not a party like gathering. It was more like friends supporting a friend. What is that about?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
I guess I am searching for answers. But Peterson, almost looks like an over achiever. If he met the college credits and taken swat training as reported, and held two law enforcement jobs, he accomplished alot by the age of 20. I haven't heard anyone saying anything bad about this guy. Then you have his peer group calling him a worthless pig. Why would his good friends and family members turn on him like that? In the radio program it was stated that this was not a party like gathering. It was more like friends supporting a friend. What is that about?
I am with you on this......I totally fail to see how he could of gotten that many college credits & could not of had a 2 yr associate degree by the time he was 19 yrs old to be hired as a deputy. Something just isn't right???
If TP was smart enough to become a deputy & complied with with the college credits / wouldn't you of thought somewhere along the lines of sticks & stones may break my bones......but words will never harm me?

I'm sure we'll be hearing more as the days go by, especially with the National media involved. We'll see Wis is way behind on the scope of achievers being hired by LE. Its a disgrace!!!

Can you imagine if everytime someone got called a name such as "worthless pig" they went out & murdered 6 people?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMidnight View Post
Imagine what this girl friends life would have been like if she had married him.
No kidding!!!
Marriage wouldn't of helped this relationship.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Gunman's motives remain a mystery in Wisconsin mass killing. Pioneer Press

This article will clear up a few things!!! After reading this it put things in a better light for me.He probably wasn't qualified for the job when he was hired / his family had clout & that means everything in small town Wisconsin!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I am with you on this......I totally fail to see how he could of gotten that many college credits & could not of had a 2 yr associate degree by the time he was 19 yrs old to be hired as a deputy. Something just isn't right???
If TP was smart enough to become a deputy & complied with with the college credits / wouldn't you of thought somewhere along the lines of sticks & stones may break my bones......but words will never harm me?

I'm sure we'll be hearing more as the days go by, especially with the National media involved. We'll see Wis is way behind on the scope of achievers being hired by LE. Its a disgrace!!!

Can you imagine if every time someone got called a name such as "worthless pig" they went out & murdered 6 people?
I think this shows no matter what you can't take out the human being just because someone is a cop.

I don't feel he would have taken it to heart if some scumbag criminal had called him filthy names but due to his heart being on his sleeve about his personal relationship when his own friends began to join in and heckle him it stung like a scorpion's sting.

Imo it is who is trying to break you with sticks and stones. I think we all know words do hurt deeply especially if they come from someone we care about and are close to.

I am not sure how he got certified but I do believe the PC when he said he passed all that was required of him in the State of WI.

I am not even sure they do psyche testing on PD that is in an adjoining larger town from my town. If they do they are failing miserably because so many cops on the force have been caught doing illegal and corrupt things. Some in the city are more worried about some of these cops than the perps out there.

imoo
Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM

I took this out of the article:
This kind of explains what I meant about small towns & my phrase its not what you know but who you know!

Former schoolmates described Peterson as someone who had, in high school, hoped to be popular, but never quite made it.
"He didn't have a lot of friends because he was arrogant," Michael Zold, 20, said. "He was always very stuck up, like he always had an attitude, 'I have money, I'm better than everybody else.' "
Zold added, "After he became an officer, it was a power trip to him."
Steven Bocek, whose nephew, Bradley Schultz, was one of the victims, said Peterson had gotten his police job so young, in part, because he was known in Crandon.
"The bottom line is he should have never been a police officer," Bocek said. "They have a bunch of young people there who shouldn't be there. It's mostly family members."
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Best Behavior is Overrated!!!!

Exclamation

Wisconsin's requirements for hiring a LE officer are actually a lot better than the ones where I live in S. Arkansas! You do have to be 21 years old and have no felony convictions, but you have one year to attend the police academy after you are hired to be a LE officer!!!! Basically, if you are hired, they give you your gun, ticket book, and car and send you on your merry way!!!! No pysch evaluation is required either!!!

About eight years ago in a small town near where I live a police officer shot an unarmed man three times in the back because he wouldn't stop walking after the police officer told him to stop. There were plenty of witnesses to the shooting and one witness even said the police officer threw a gun near the victim! The gun turned out to be a gun that was used in a previous murder in the same town that LE was supposed to have destroyed! This gun was stolen from a pawn shop after it was supposed to be destroyed. Two years later, this same police officer killed another unarmed man involving similar circumstances. And he is still a police officer!!!!! I know the parents of the first victim sued the city, and the city settled out of court. This city has less than 5,000 citizens. I should add that this police officer had
NOTattended the police academy before the first shooting.

Sorry to get so far off topic!!!

I feel so sorry for the victims, the victim's families, and the family of the shooter in this incident. I hope that Wisconsin, Arkansas, and other states that have such lax requirements for hiring LE officers look at this case and change the requirements!!!!
My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA
Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Former Member

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_7126108
Snip from above article--

Quote:
He said the 20-year-old Peterson came to his door about five hours after the rampage early Sunday and calmly told him what happened.
"He wasn't running around crazy or anything. He was very, very sorry for what he did," Kegley told the newspaper, adding he gave Peterson coffee and food and later made repeated calls to911. Kegley also said his family coaxed Peterson into giving up his assault rifle, but he kept a pistol in the back of his shirt.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Former Member

Did his parents/family know about the shootings?
Did they know that he had a gun in the back of his shirt?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM

It was stated in one of the articles that he left the friends home to go see his Mom & Grandma.

I guess I just don't understand if LE knew he was at the friends home why they never arrested him. Nobody was held hostage, they cooked him food to eat. The parents went to see where LE was at. So some of it don't make sense to me.