TX TX - Nicholas Barclay, 13, San Antonio, 13 June 1994

meggilyweggily

Reaction score
Website
www.charleyproject.org
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barclay_nicholas.html

I can't find a thread for this case so I thought I'd start one here. It interests me because of Bourdin's involvement, which is bizarre. From what I've read. Bourdin had run a lot of different cons in Europe and the Barclay thing was just one more -- but why? I didn't see that Nicholas came from a wealthy family or anything, so I doubt Bourdin could have gained much financially by passing himself off as that boy.

I doubt Bourdin actually knew anything about Nicholas's disappearance, though. I think probably he ran away from home, but I'm not sure he's alive now. He's been gone for so long.

Thoughts, anyone?

Is anyone else confused by the mother's comment that he displayed aggressive behavior in 1998? Especially considering he disappeared in 1994?

Festival documentary looks at a missing boy and a grand deception

Today’s pick: The Imposter (4:30 p.m. Monday at the Dallas Angelika, 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane)

An adolescent boy disappears from San Antonio in 1994. His family, understandably, is crushed. Then, 31/2 years later, he appears in Spain.

The family is overjoyed — so overjoyed that it fails to overlook the obvious problems with this miracle resolution.

More: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertain...ks-at-a-missing-boy-and-a-grand-deception.ece

The Imposter made the top 5 movies to see in 2012 according to one critic I saw today on tv... I wasnt familiar with the story and thought I'd come here to see if anyone else had. Very bizarre.

Anyone going to see this movie/doc. ? Well, it's out on dvd now.... Came to this site to read more about it.
If I remember correctly, Jaycee Dugard's uncle or some other relative said JD remembered everything -- names , her address, etc. So I found it weird that Nicholas' family didn't get suspicious right away when Bourdin had to have family members pointed out to him. Plus, a boy doesn't change THAT much from 13 yrs. to 16 yrs. jmo.

Anyone going to see this movie/doc. ? Well, it's out on dvd now.... Came to this site to read more about it.
If I remember correctly, Jaycee Dugard's uncle or some other relative said JD remembered everything -- names , her address, etc. So I found it weird that Nicholas' family didn't get suspicious right away when Bourdin had to have family members pointed out to him. Plus, a boy doesn't change THAT much from 13 yrs. to 16 yrs. jmo.

I watched the movie, its really good, very good. It will make you shake your head a few times. hahaha :)

Bourdin is certainly a very twisted individual. I tried to understand his perspective but couldn't get past what he was doing to Nicholas' family.

After watching this documentary, I'm not entirely convinced that Nicholas' family/someone close to them didn't have anything to do with his disappearance.
Despite Bourdin's despicable behavior (the doc. said he's now married with 3 kids--how would he like it if someone conned them?) ; the family does seem like they know more than they're letting on.
And close to the end of the documentary, it was stated that Nicholas' brother-in-law (?) said that the day Nicholas disappeared, he had broken into a home late at night ....makes no sense at all.
I was thinking that maybe Nicholas was killed by accident; and the family knew they were in trouble --- so they hid his body ?
It seemed like the family knew it wasn't their missing boy, but wanted to bring Bourdin to TX ; to hide something else.

Just my opinion and was thinking out loud. I think Bourdin should be locked up forever. Who knows what he's been up to ?

Have just finished watching the imposter. I think Bourdin is a disgusting human being. The way he kept laughing when saying what he had done. The story about never being wanted, all excuses for why he did what he did.
The only thing he said that I did believe was that the family were involved in Nicholas's disappearance.
Sadly, it just makes sense. They said Nicholas was a very difficult child and never did what he was told. I think it became all too much for his mother or brother and they lost their temper with him.
I could believe at first that they believed it was him, because perhaps they so badly wanted it to be him.
After the FBI told them it was not him and they just refused to believe it? What reason would the FBI have to lie?
The reason the family would have to continue to say it was Nicholas, was of course because admitting it wasn't would bring back the question of well where is Nicholas?
Which of course in the end it was re-opened as a homicide.
A whole lot of lying going on in that doco.

I just watched the movie The Imposter, and I've been googling to read more about Nicholas' case. What a shocking, twisted set of circumstances. And through it all, is an adorable 13 year old boy, missing, and likely murdered.

I also read that the P.I. Charlie Parker is still digging, and intends to keep on digging, to try to find Nicholas' body.

I've been trying to find a book about this case, but haven't found one. If anyone hears of one, would you please post here about it? Thank you.

I'm going to keep on seeing what else I can find to read about Nicholas.

I hope you're found soon, sweet boy. :heartbeat:

I just watched the movie The Imposter, and I've been googling to read more about Nicholas' case. What a shocking, twisted set of circumstances. And through it all, is an adorable 13 year old boy, missing, and likely murdered.

I also read that the P.I. Charlie Parker is still digging, and intends to keep on digging, to try to find Nicholas' body.

I've been trying to find a book about this case, but haven't found one. If anyone hears of one, would you please post here about it? Thank you.

I'm going to keep on seeing what else I can find to read about Nicholas.

I hope you're found soon, sweet boy. :heartbeat:

Cheese ! I'm watching it now ! Why didn't we talk about this before ? So many on ws have seen it and then another friend made me promise to watch it this week so I finally am doing so.. You know the saddest thing is that initially when Nicholas disappeared it was never even on the news. :( In that first few days is the time when most cases are solved and now there is little to no chance of it happening.

I just watched The Imposter last weekend. When the film ended, I really felt as though one or more members of Nicholas's family knew what happened to him. I understand the idea of wanting your son to be found very badly, however Nicholas had been missing for three years-- and "came back" looking ENTIRELY different. Hair color, eye color, skin tone, build, language/accent, and I'm sure his mannerisms were different. Even the imposter himself seemed shocked that anyone would actually believe he was Nicholas Barclay once he saw in color what Nicholas looked like.

The detective in the documentary pointed out that the brother's claim that Nicholas tried to break into the home later on the night of the day he disappeared is a classic claim for someone who was involved in the missing person's disappearance.

Also, when the rest of the Barclay family seemingly believed that the imposter was Nicholas, his brother didn't seem to care or be interested at all.

I haven't done a lot of independent research about this case. So perhaps the hinky feeling I have towards the family is due to bias from the documentary.

Festival documentary looks at a missing boy and a grand deception

Today’s pick: The Imposter (4:30 p.m. Monday at the Dallas Angelika, 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane)

An adolescent boy disappears from San Antonio in 1994. His family, understandably, is crushed. Then, 31/2 years later, he appears in Spain.

The family is overjoyed — so overjoyed that it fails to overlook the obvious problems with this miracle resolution.

More: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertain...ks-at-a-missing-boy-and-a-grand-deception.ece

Amazing documentary. An unbelievable story. A must see for anyone interested in missing persons cases. "The Imposter" is available on netflix.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back