Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Cold Cases

Notices

Cold Cases Discuss all cold cases here and sleuth out some new information!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 PM

CT - Matthew Margolies, 13, murdered in Greenwich, August 1984

Just thought I would bring some attention to this crime, sometimes called "Greenwich's other murder" in reference to being overshadowed by the Martha Moxley killing. Interesting stuff.

http://www.matthewmargolies.com/

The text from the website is too long to post here in its entirety.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

Bumping.

I had never heard of Matthew before today when I stumbled across it online. The article posted below is pretty extensive.

http://www.courttv.com/news/hiddentr...ies/page1.html

I know they have been questioning a former police officer recently in connection. Personally I think the crime looks like it was done by a teenager. There is something immature and childish about it. The dirt and sticks being stuff in his mouth, crushing his chest with the rock, no sexual molestation - it just reeks of a crime done by young boys or boy pumped full of testosterone who killed Matt just to kill him.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM

I found Matthew's website several years ago. And I remember thinking that he perhaps paid the price for something his late grandfather said or did to some teens or young men.

Sad to see that Matthew's website is completely out of date. It was not updated since 2004.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 PM

I never heard about this murder but just like the others - it's so sad.

What bothers me about this case is that Matthew's poor mom - still living in the same home - has to be constantly reminded of the murder of her son. I don't know if I could do what she and her husband are doing.

I truly hope there's a break in this case. And if the Moxley murder was solved (and I believe it was) then there's hope for Matthew.

Maybe his mom should contact Furman...he did help with the Moxley case, maybe he could use his connections to undig some valuable information.

Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks for bumping this and posting the intriguing article, gaia. The article fills in a lot of incidental detail about Matthew's last day and, on page 4, some theories about suspects, of which there are numerous strong ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Traces article
The last time anyone saw Matthew Margolies for sure he was fishing off a bridge near the deli. Several motorists later told police they saw him in the company of a boy or several boys about 5:30 p.m.
Later, after police found his body, a woman who lived near the wooded area remembered hearing something strange between 6 and 6:30 that night. It was the screaming of a young person and it went on for 30 seconds, she told detectives.
I bet the boys seen with Matthew at 5:30 are the ones who killed him.

Mischa, your hypothesis is kind of a wild stab in the dark. There's no indication the grandfather "did" anything to kids, and why would they want to exact revenge on him after his death.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Location: Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimeSolver View Post
Mischa, your hypothesis is kind of a wild stab in the dark. There's no indication the grandfather "did" anything to kids, and why would they want to exact revenge on him after his death.
I think Mischa was referring to Mr Miazga having told off or reported some teens to police about their drug use. The old man had told the teens Matthew was with him on this. So far that's the only thing approaching a motive that has surfaced.

It could be that those kids had decided to "teach Matthew a lesson" by beating him up and it went too far, but the immense majority of such cases are solved because when a group is involved someone will almost always eventually talk. For this case to remain unsolved for so long I suspect that there was only one perpetrator, certainly no more than two and that he/they never told anyone about his/their involvement.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM

^I see. Yes, you're right. I thought the above referred to molestation, but now that you mention it, I do recall the article citing the victim's contempt for drug use.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:16 PM

Location: Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimeSolver View Post
^I see. Yes, you're right. I thought the above referred to molestation, but now that you mention it, I do recall the article citing the victim's contempt for drug use.
Yes, the Court TV article mentions the confrontation between Mr Miazga and a group of teens, and what he had told them.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

There was a 100lb rock on top of Matthew. I think that is indicitive of more than one person involved. 100lb's is heavy to pick up on your own and if that were the case then it is indicitive of someone young and strong.

I really think Matthew was murdered by a group of boys and my bets are on his 17yr old fishing buddy who was so nervous during his interrogation that he either participated or witnessed the murder.

LE has DNA so hopefully they can start ruling people out and requestioning people. After 20 yrs some of these boys, now men, might be willing to tell what they know if someone asked him.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Yes, I was going to mention that the heavy boulders covering the victim's body pointed to either more than one teenage killer or a single strong adult killer, though I suppose it's certainly more than possible for a wiry kid of 15 or 16 to have heaved those 100 lb+ stones onto the body all by himself.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

I have researched and investigated this quite a bit. There was a suspect the police called "Suspect B". He was described as a 16 year old trouble maker who had assaulted and attempted the rape of another 13 year old boy just 3 weeks prior to Matthew's murder. He was also accused by a local father of pulling a knife on another kid. Allegedly, the knife resembled the one used in the murder. Additionally, he was a frequent bully of Matthew and attempted to fight him at a nearby bus stop just a week before the murder. Also, Matthew's dead body was found in the woods DIRECTLY behind this suspects house.

Orginally, the police ruled him out because his time card at the local Wendy's had him there at the time of the murder. However, I have it from an inside source that a tip came in in 2002 that it was common practice for employees to stamp each other's time cards if one was late. Suspect B was nearly 3 hours late to work that day...

The cops know he did it. All that's missing is DNA evidence and Suspect B has refused to provide a sample.
The Following User Says Thank You to CCharger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCharger View Post
I have researched and investigated this quite a bit. There was a suspect the police called "Suspect B". He was described as a 16 year old trouble maker who had assaulted and attempted the rape of another 13 year old boy just 3 weeks prior to Matthew's murder. He was also accused by a local father of pulling a knife on another kid. Allegedly, the knife resembled the one used in the murder. Additionally, he was a frequent bully of Matthew and attempted to fight him at a nearby bus stop just a week before the murder. Also, Matthew's dead body was found in the woods DIRECTLY behind this suspects house.

Orginally, the police ruled him out because his time card at the local Wendy's had him there at the time of the murder. However, I have it from an inside source that a tip came in in 2002 that it was common practice for employees to stamp each other's time cards if one was late. Suspect B was nearly 3 hours late to work that day...
Interesting new info. Thanks, CCharger.
Quote:
The cops know he did it. All that's missing is DNA evidence and Suspect B has refused to provide a sample.
We all know there are ways of getting it covertly, so what's taking cops so long?