Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion > Stacy Peterson

Notices

Stacy Peterson Missing from her Bolingbrook, IL home since Oct. 28, 2007. Her husband, Drew, has been convicted of killing his 3rd wife, Kathleen Savio.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM
I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo

Police Misconduct?? *merged threads*

After the commercial on Studio B with Shepard Smith, he is going to be covering the case, esp mentioned Drew's police misconduct!

This is just a heads up and the thread may be deleted!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:12 PM

Shep just mentioned that DP is accused of abuse of powers, while a law enforcement officer.

Then he brought up the blue barrel, and Drew allegedly trying to get a trucker to transport it, which Shep was not really up to par on, since he'd been sick all weekend.

The former NYPD officer that Shep had on as a guest said he would think that finding and verifying that story and finding the salt and pepper haired guy would be a top priority for investigators at this point.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Inactive

i'm watching it now..thanks Liz!

yeah, DP ran ID checks thru LE for his own personal use....i have to be honest; i'd say that happens a lot in LE....they have so much access to stuff like that...if they can't do it, they can always get a clerk to do it for them....i worked for the Traffic Bureau for a short period of time, years ago, & i know for a fact, folks could access all kinds of info on people through that office....
Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 PM

This could be what takes his pension away right?

VB
Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 PM

I'll leave this thread up for a little while so anyone who wants can read it. But since there's really nothing new here, I'll delete it after awhile.
ETA OOPS ... unless y'all don't want me to.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bride View Post
This could be what takes his pension away right?

VB
YES!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Shep just mentioned that DP is accused of abuse of powers, while a law enforcement officer.

Then he brought up the blue barrel, and Drew allegedly trying to get a trucker to transport it, which Shep was not really up to par on, since he'd been sick all weekend.

The former NYPD officer that Shep had on as a guest said he would think that finding and verifying that story and finding the salt and pepper haired guy would be a top priority for investigators at this point.
no kidding!...this salt & pepper guy would have to know the scoop, IMO....
Old 12-03-2007, 03:18 PM

Close, I would imagine it is pretty common. But then again, most of those people are not under investigation for the disappearance of their wife!
KWIM???

Yep, Vegas, sure could!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by close_enough View Post
i'm watching it now..thanks Liz!

yeah, DP ran ID checks thru LE for his own personal use....i have to be honest; i'd say that happens a lot in LE....they have so much access to stuff like that...if they can't do it, they can always get a clerk to do it for them....i worked for the Traffic Bureau for a short period of time, years ago, & i know for a fact, folks could access all kinds of info on people through that office....
This is an offense that would get you fired...running checks for personal reasons and not business. It would be great if they could actually prove it. Ijust don't how they will.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Watch out for my thorns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
This is an offense that would get you fired...running checks for personal reasons and not business. It would be great if they could actually prove it. Ijust don't how they will.
Government agencies (and I imagine LE would too) have employees sign an agreement that they will not use their resources for personal gain of any kind... if your caught you can be fired and/or brought up on charges.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Close, I would imagine it is pretty common. But then again, most of those people are not under investigation for the disappearance of their wife!
KWIM???

Yep, Vegas, sure could!
I guess it would depend upon the integrity of the leadership in the department, but where my hubby works it is a BIG NO-NO.
Someone might get away with it a time or two if no one complained but as soon as it became known the person would be reprimanded, suspended from access to that data, and investigated to see if they were guilty of using that info to commit official oppression, which is a crime.

If an officer had any credibility then pulled something like that I'm sure they would be monitored closely after that, even if they only did it to be nosey but committed no crime.

susan
Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 PM

This was posted about on the Drew Peterson #2 thread earlier today.

SuzieQ posted an ABCNews article and people are discussing it.

Last edited by i.b.nora; 12-03-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: to correct thread number
Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Jersey Girl

Location: I am a lifelong resident of the beautful Jersey Shore.
Quote:
Maybe he was accessing this info by logging in from his home pc thinking no one could track it that way. They did seize his computer. That would be proof enough I would think.

**Collective I.Q. of YARN I tell you**

***Mason: “When you looked at the pictures, was the mandible [jawbone] there or not?"
Garavaglia: “The mandible was there. It was there on x-ray and it was there in pictures.”
Mason: “Who placed the mandible there?”
Garavaglia: “God.” ***

***Mason returned to the possibility of drowning. Garavaglia replied that she had never seen a drowning with duct tape on the lower half of the face. “There’s no reason why a child that’s drowned is put in a plastic bag and dumped on the side of the road,” Garavagalia said.

***JB to Murdock :"Sir you're not a piece of duct tape are you? So you can't say your brand is my brand can you, sir"?***

***"I don't/can't remember/recall"*** Dr. Spitz

Inactive

Quote:
KWIM???

Yep, Vegas, sure could!
good point!

Quote:
If any of the people he ran popped a warrant, then there is a good chance there would be a record of that search. NY State has such a system in place. Its purpose is to alert the agency that issued the warrant or has interest in the person (criminal court, parole officer, another PD, etc.) that someone is investigating their suspect. That way, the original agency can immediately contact the investigator who ideally has the person he is investigating in custody.

The NYPD is constantly firing civilians who use the warrant search system to check on the backgrounds of their new boyfriends/girlfriends. The firing results when the boyfriend/girlfriend pops a warrant, a department alert is auto-generated and then the Department learns that nobody was arrested to satisfy the warrant check. A nice system of checks and balances to prevent abuse. Most PDs do not operate on that level.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM

A worriesome thought just occured to me. What IF he was researching truckers for past or recent offenses, so that he might be able to approach them about transporting a package and getting something off their record?

Would that even be in the realm of possibilities?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
I guess it would depend upon the integrity of the leadership in the department, but where my hubby works it is a BIG NO-NO.Someone might get away with it a time or two if no one complained but as soon as it became known the person would be reprimanded, suspended from access to that data, and investigated to see if they were guilty of using that info to commit official oppression, which is a crime.

If an officer had any credibility then pulled something like that I'm sure they would be monitored closely after that, even if they only did it to be nosey but committed no crime.

susan
yes, it's a big NO-NO, but that's the thing; it's rare anyone ever complains, because THEY might need a 'favor' one day....someone that doesn't like DP is just now spilling the beans over this..wonder why him doing this wasn't reported before now....?

anyway, i'm glad it's happening to him & hopefully this will screw up his retirement $$
Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzWhim View Post
If any of the people he ran popped a warrant, then there is a good chance there would be a record of that search. NY State has such a system in place. Its purpose is to alert the agency that issued the warrant or has interest in the person (criminal court, parole officer, another PD, etc.) that someone is investigating their suspect. That way, the original agency can immediately contact the investigator who ideally has the person he is investigating in custody.

The NYPD is constantly firing civilians who use the warrant search system to check on the backgrounds of their new boyfriends/girlfriends. The firing results when the boyfriend/girlfriend pops a warrant, a department alert is auto-generated and then the Department learns that nobody was arrested to satisfy the warrant check. A nice system of checks and balances to prevent abuse. Most PDs do not operate on that level.
exactly....most don't
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
always. SS~

Quote:
Originally Posted by close_enough View Post
anyway, i'm glad it's happening to him & hopefully this will screw up his retirement $$
Wouldn't the children be able to collect this money if he went to jail?!

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Inactive

Quote:
A worriesome thought just occured to me. What IF he was researching truckers for past or recent offenses, so that he might be able to approach them about transporting a package and getting something off their record?

Would that even be in the realm of possibilities?
hmmm, i just don't know Liz...i'm trying to think how he could get a name or a driver's license number to start with....the plate wouldn't help him, i wouldn't think, since these trucker's plates are out of state....i'm thinking

i have no idea...
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
Wouldn't the children be able to collect this money if he went to jail?!
i wouldn't think so, but i could be wrong....
Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Thanks Chico for removing the "Fox News" and the "alert" icon, from this thread title. I didn't want to delete it after so many posters responded.

Here is a link to the article pertaining to police misconduct that was posted earlier today by SuziQ, and you, Chico, in the media links thread, in case anyone missed it. (Thanks to you both!)

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=5810272
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Fox News reporting on this right now in their 2:00pm news hour. They reported that DP was doing background checks on Stacy's family just prior to her going missing.

A reporter asked DP about doing these background checks, and this was his response (paraphrasing): "There's about 5 families here in this area that are losing their homes. Why don't you put your time and resources into helping those families instead of harassing mine."

Greta was asked about the latest developments in the case and she stated that the two trucker that were approached refused to take the package. Greta said that if this is true, it's a bombshell. She said that hypothetically if DP got a no from these two truckers, he could have gotten a yes from another trucker later on in the wee hours of the morning of Oct. 29th.

Last edited by Leila; 12-03-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Thanks Chico for removing the "Fox News" and the "alert" icon, from this thread title. I didn't want to delete it after so many posters responded.

Here is a link to the article pertaining to police misconduct that was posted earlier today by SuziQ, and you, Chico, in the media links thread, in case anyone missed it. (Thanks to you both!)

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=5810272
This thread is a good idea, I say leave it.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
always. SS~

Prosecutors Take Over Internal Peterson Probe

CHICAGO (AP) ― Prosecutors are reviewing an internal Bolingbrook Police investigation to determine whether a former sergeant suspected in his wife's disappearance could be criminally charged for what the department alleges were instances of official misconduct.
Attorney Joel Brodsky said Monday that Peterson denies using department computers or databases to gather information about his wife's family or friends or in any unauthorized way. Brodsky said he has written in a letter to Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow that charging Peterson with doing so would constitute "vindictive prosecution" because others have not been charged with a practice Brodsky says is widespread.

~snip~

The attorney speculated a truck driver who had been so sought out had seen Peterson in the news and "all of a sudden sticks Drew's face onto this guy who approached him in the truck stop."

"And now we've got some bologna lead we've got to chase down," he said.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/drew.pe....2.601524.html

At least he refrained from using the word "crazy" this time. Now he is going to start using lunchmeat metaphors. : )

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.