Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 12-04-2007, 08:18 AM
WS Administrator

Brad Pitt plans to rebuild ravaged New Orleans

ACTOR Brad Pitt has launched his own regeneration project for hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans, unveiling designs for a range of eco-friendly and flood-proof homes.
Pitt commissioned 13 architectural firms to produce houses that would incorporate solar power and other environmentally sound designs.
He has put up $US5 million ($A5.7 million) of his own money and launched a website, www.makeitrightnola.org, asking corporations, church groups and others for $US150,000 donations for his adopt-a-house project, as well as smaller public donations.
Former residents of the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans will be expected to contribute part of the cost of the new houses, with Make It Right making up the shortfall.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...530677036.html
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBean View Post
ACTOR Brad Pitt has launched his own regeneration project for hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans, unveiling designs for a range of eco-friendly and flood-proof homes.
Pitt commissioned 13 architectural firms to produce houses that would incorporate solar power and other environmentally sound designs.
He has put up $US5 million ($A5.7 million) of his own money and launched a website, www.makeitrightnola.org, asking corporations, church groups and others for $US150,000 donations for his adopt-a-house project, as well as smaller public donations.
Former residents of the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans will be expected to contribute part of the cost of the new houses, with Make It Right making up the shortfall.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...530677036.html
He's been working on that for a couple of years now. I think that's why they bought a house and live in New Orleans part time.

He builds "green houses" too! Brad is just quietly making things happen.

GOOD FOR HIM! GO BRAD!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
WS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
He's been working on that for a couple of years now. I think that's why they bought a house and live in New Orleans part time.

He builds "green houses" too! Brad is just quietly making things happen.

GOOD FOR HIM! GO BRAD!
I know and agree MT. But he just came out with this whole press release this morning so I thought it deserved a thread. he is unveiling his plans.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 AM
WS Administrator

http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&h...nG=Search+News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7126350.stm

Pitt unveils Orleans homes plan

Actor Brad Pitt has said he expected 150 homes to be built in an area of New Orleans destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, as part of a project he is backing.

The 43-year-old Hollywood star, who has pledged $5m (£2.4m) of his own money to the initiative, made an appeal for further donations to the fund.
Each house in the city's Lower Ninth Ward, which was deluged by flooding in 2005, will be built on stilts. Pitt and partner Angelina Jolie own a mansion in New Orleans' French Quarter.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Justice for Morgan

Heads-up! Pitt is on LKL tonight...Yes, you have to suffer through Larry to see Brad.
Tonight: Brad Pitt One-On-One

Prime-time Exclusive!
Brad Pitt wants to "Make it Right" in New Orleans! The actor is among those helping the most vulnerable in the city's Lower Ninth Ward. He tells Larry about the 150 affordable homes being built post-Hurricane Katrina, and why the project means so much to him, as well as the people who will live there.
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

Brad Pitt interview with Larry King

December 05, 2007 01:13pm

BRAD Pitt speaks candidly about his new foundation, his love for Angelina Jolie and fatherhood on CNN's Larry King Live.http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...l?from=mostpop

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 PM

OH, thanks for telling me!! He's one of the few men I like!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBean View Post
I know and agree MT. But he just came out with this whole press release this morning so I thought it deserved a thread. he is unveiling his plans.
Great! so glad you did; he doesn't call alot of attention to himself - so we should call attention to him!!!! He truly is doing good works.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Former Member

Go Brad! The US govt has been more than a little lax in dealing with New Orleans.
The much ravaged LA needed assistance 2 years ago.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Rebuilding New Orleans is like working in a bowling alley and setting up the pins again. It's waiting for the next storm bigger than the last one.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzm1 View Post
Rebuilding New Orleans is like working in a bowling alley and setting up the pins again. It's waiting for the next storm bigger than the last one.
Hey Buzz!

I was laughing at you for leaving this comment. The first time I saw San Fran from The Golden Gate Bridge, my only thought was "How in the world has that city not fallen into the water yet?"

It's only a matter of time for all of our great cities by the sea!!!

Good for Brad for assisting in the NO rebuilding efforts. I know he has a lot of interest in building and architecture.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philamena View Post
Go Brad! The US govt has been more than a little lax in dealing with New Orleans.
For sure.

I am REALLY impressed by his articulation and ideas. He's taking the time to research and explain his plan. He's donating $5,000,000 of his own money to get it started. He's actually living there some of the time - not just "throwing money" and not following up. He seems involved.

They need to build up on stilts though, and make sure the levees are sound. Like Buzz says, it can all be blown or flooded down again.

I haven't seen him before up close on TV - he has a GREAT smile.

I think I'm going to swoon. He is really leading us the right way, with green building and collection systems, etc. It doesn't matter whether your in Nola or central Texas where I am.

I'm going to start going to his movies. I would like to donate for part of a solar panel or something, but I'm pretty short on cash right now. Maybe later -

He's a wholesome guy from Missouri with solid values - GO BRAD!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Former Member

Quote:
For sure.

I am REALLY impressed by his articulation and ideas. He's taking the time to research and explain his plan. He's donating $5,000,000 of his own money to get it started. He's actually living there some of the time - not just "throwing money" and not following up. He seems involved.
SNIP

He's a wholesome guy from Missouri with solid values - GO BRAD!!!!
Marthtatex,
You are so right about Brad being articulate. He's definitely more than a handsome face. I admire him for his dedication to New Orleans.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Marthtatex,
You are so right about Brad being articulate. He's definitely more than a handsome face. I admire him for his dedication to New Orleans.
My kinda man....if I had just been younger I just KNOW he would haven fallen for me and not Anniston/Angelina.

Sigh. I should have gone on more Sierra Club outings.....or tried acting.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 AM

Every time a see a new movie or re-watch an old one, I fall in love with Brad all over again! And after watching his enthusiasm last night about this project and watching his face when he talked about his family - WOW. I have never been to N O but he has fallen in love with the place and the people. We all know we should go as "green" as we can. He doesn't have to do this to save money, he can buy whatever he wants, so you know he is really sincere. And although I am sure he has political favorites, I appreciate him trying to keep that out of the project. Should have, could have, would have - goes so far back as far as protecting the city it seems fruitless to go there. So, if we the people help with homes, someone must take on protection for the future.

What a fine young man.

Don't hold hate in your heart, it takes up too much room
Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 AM

Has anyone seen the Assassination of Jesse James by.....

Wondering if that's worth seeing.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Justice for Morgan

I have only seen one BP movie and that was Troy. I thought it was a good movie. I think BP is doing a great thing in Nawlins'...It is a wonderful city with lots of history...

Mr. Brad Pitt!

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911
Old 12-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Have you kissed your cat today?

Quote:

I agree totally where was the goverment when this happend
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy2 View Post
I agree totally where was the goverment when this happend
And where are they now? New Orleans still sitting there like a trash heap is shameful for a great, powerful and rich country like we are.

Oh, I forgot, we had a huge cyclone carrying billions of dollars to Halliburton and KBG, etc. Also enough "lost or missing" dollars to make New Orleans into the American Monaco!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Former Member

Quote:
And where are they now? New Orleans still sitting there like a trash heap is shameful for a great, powerful and rich country like we are.

Oh, I forgot, we had a huge cyclone carrying billions of dollars to Halliburton and KBG, etc. Also enough "lost or missing" dollars to make New Orleans into the American Monaco!
I recently went though New Orleans. New Orleans East is a dumphole. I couldn't see the ninth ward but I imagine it was the same. Exits are barred in a lot of places on I 10. I know Halliburton and KBG I am just getting familiar with and none of the songs sing true. These are mega million giants with a huge foothole that refocuses money to their drain.

I also heard of a rape of an American female that worked for KBG who is ill gotten to speak as her contract disallows this. This happened in Iraq and there were American contractors who did this to her. I will find the site and post back.

Here is the article.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=3977702&page=1
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Former Member

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Thank heavens there are some visionaries among us (Pitt) -organized, informed, dedicated with follow through; GIVING; doesn't give a hoot what others think, and can quietly LEAD.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Former Member

Mississippi looks even worse than N.O. Such a shame to see those beautiful historical buildings in a rubble heap.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Thank heavens there are some visionaries among us (Pitt) -organized, informed, dedicated with follow through; GIVING; doesn't give a hoot what others think, and can quietly LEAD.
Marthatex,
Indeed.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Have you kissed your cat today?

Quote:

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!