Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 AM
White Rain's Avatar
White Rain White Rain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: heaven bound
Posts: 4,894
A Digital Delima In Child Porn Case

The federal government is asking a U.S. District Court in Vermont to order a man to type a password that would unlock files on his computer, despite his claim that doing so would constitute self-incrimination.
The case, believed to be the first of its kind to reach this level, raises a uniquely digital-age question about how to balance privacy and civil liberties against the government's responsibility to protect the public.
The case, which involves suspected possession of child pornography, comes as more Americans turn to encryption to protect the privacy and security of files on their laptops and thumb drives. FBI and Justice Department officials, meanwhile, have said that encryption is allowing terrorists and criminals to communicate their plots covertly.
more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22672241/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Lola's Avatar
Lola Lola is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
The federal government is asking a U.S. District Court in Vermont to order a man to type a password that would unlock files on his computer, despite his claim that doing so would constitute self-incrimination.
The case, believed to be the first of its kind to reach this level, raises a uniquely digital-age question about how to balance privacy and civil liberties against the government's responsibility to protect the public.
The case, which involves suspected possession of child pornography, comes as more Americans turn to encryption to protect the privacy and security of files on their laptops and thumb drives. FBI and Justice Department officials, meanwhile, have said that encryption is allowing terrorists and criminals to communicate their plots covertly.
more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22672241/
Interesting issue. Seems to me there are other ways to find out the sites this guy visited - his ISP, did he pay for photos etc. I hope the cops are trying more than just this one avenue.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM
southcitymom's Avatar
southcitymom southcitymom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Interesting issue. Seems to me there are other ways to find out the sites this guy visited - his ISP, did he pay for photos etc. I hope the cops are trying more than just this one avenue.
That is a fascinating issue. I will be most interested to hear the court's decision.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Filly's Avatar
Filly Filly is offline
KICKING AND SHINING
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
Posts: 17,645
I Wanna Scream

WR, I've been following this case. I know this can't help and won't happen, but I thought leave me alone with this creep for about half an hour and he'd be typing in that super dooper code real quick. For the love of all things good in this world can't the louse just give the code?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM
believe09's Avatar
believe09 believe09 is offline
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oh Captain, My Captain
Posts: 25,946
For the same reason Duncan is not about to give the passwords to unencrypt his laptop-it is self incrimination. I think that this case is a back door to another Patriot Act/Homeland Security effort to make further inroads into privacy. I don't think the lunatic should be compelled-yes I think his potential crime is heinous, just like we all know that Duncan's laptop will most likely contain "snuff films" of his child murders, as well as the names of people he sent them to. But just because there are a few very bad people out there doesn't mean I am going to invite the Government into every aspect of my life...JMO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
pixies pixies is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,327
I cannot believe our cyber people cannot get into this laptop. He does not deserve protection. He is a monster and should be treated as such.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
White Rain's Avatar
White Rain White Rain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: heaven bound
Posts: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixies View Post
I cannot believe our cyber people cannot get into this laptop. He does not deserve protection. He is a monster and should be treated as such.
I couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Filly's Avatar
Filly Filly is offline
KICKING AND SHINING
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
Posts: 17,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
For the same reason Duncan is not about to give the passwords to unencrypt his laptop-it is self incrimination. I think that this case is a back door to another Patriot Act/Homeland Security effort to make further inroads into privacy. I don't think the lunatic should be compelled-yes I think his potential crime is heinous, just like we all know that Duncan's laptop will most likely contain "snuff films" of his child murders, as well as the names of people he sent them to. But just because there are a few very bad people out there doesn't mean I am going to invite the Government into every aspect of my life...JMO.
Then that's the price we all have to pay, Believe. We want our privacy then creeps like that guy don't give up the password.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
MeoW333's Avatar
MeoW333 MeoW333 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,793
Why can't LE just get a hacker to get into it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Filly's Avatar
Filly Filly is offline
KICKING AND SHINING
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
Posts: 17,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
Why can't LE just get a hacker to get into it?
Oh that'd be against the law wouldn't it, Meow. I kind of thought the same thing. One of these brainyard kids out there could do it I bet. They are master minds with the hacking stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
southcitymom's Avatar
southcitymom southcitymom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 16,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixies View Post
I cannot believe our cyber people cannot get into this laptop. He does not deserve protection. He is a monster and should be treated as such.
I'm with you on the not getting in thing - I would think any hacker worth his salt could get into someone's laptop in about 2 minutes!

However, like believe09, I place a lot of importance on privacy and want the laws protecting that to be available to all of us - saints and sinners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!