Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
His Dna all over drivers side of car!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #152  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
waltzingmatilda's Avatar
waltzingmatilda waltzingmatilda is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the moment
Posts: 5,723
She is doing a good job helping me to understand the science of DNA in layman's terms.
__________________
...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:
  #153  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
defense might as well sit down. can u imagine defending him? not good.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #154  
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 AM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
Can u imagine what they are thinking? Look at the witnesses that walked around knowing that he had killed Eve and did nothing right away! Like it was everyday life. Monsters live all around us! moo
These folks -- gang members, perhaps, or at least members of a neighborhood group who have grown up doing robberies or breaking & entering, etc., etc., together -- understand this kind of thing as everyday life, IMO.

Although we know it happens -- and not just in East L.A. or in those big cities -- it's not what we experience or brag about when we get together or while we were growing up. We just can't understand it -- but they do, so it's no big deal to them.

That is our short-coming while we watch this unfold -- it's just not what we are used to, so it is very difficult for us to comprehend. And we should be very thankful that we cannot understand it -- as we are, I'm sure -- but now we see people like us -- Eve, her family, the sorority sister who could easily have been their victim, our daughter? one of us? our next door neighbor's daughter? our little sister? It's just too dayam close to us now. Very alarming and maddening. Incomprehensible but it has happened -- at least in my case -- in a town I know well and visit often, and just 25 miles from my house. This isn't a way of like we want to have close to us. But we know it is there.

Let me just stop..... ..
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #155  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
defense might as well sit down. can u imagine defending him? not good.
That would be a tuff one, luckyme!

The Constitution says he has a right to a fair trial, and I think his DT, the Judge and the PT are doing that. Bethea-Shields is trying her best to insert little beads of doubt about Lovette's being there and doing that, but she isn't beating a big bass drum when she does. The last two days, and the ATM pics aren't helping too much, however.

And I can't imagine that the jurors like him -- and his "friends" aren't helping that one bit. They all, so far, have criminal records of various degrees of seriousness. Maybe the DT can find a baby sitter who said he was a good baby... Did he finish high school?

Here is a link to his criminal history:

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...urence&searchG

But it sounds like he also got into trouble in his youth which wouldn't be listed. I'd like to know about that, as well as Atwater's, but never mind about that. Another thing we'll never know.

I got on google and "walked around" the neighborhood where his mother lives, and it looks okay -- middle-class, 1500 -- 2000 sq.ft. houses, some nicer than others -- some a little "worn" -- but in neat yards, lawns trimmed at the curbs, with driveways. Okay street. I don't know if this was his neighborhood growing up, but it probably looked even better 15 years ago. It didn't look like a "bad" area, but I don't know anything about Durham other than Duke Hospital and the University.

It will be interesting to see if they put on a defense or if they will just try to find that one juror with their final argument. I do wonder how enthusiastic they really are about their client's chances. Certainly defense attorneys defend all kinds of "bad" characters, and this one probably isn't their first thug or gangster type. Somebody has to do it. Have they found any humanity in him? Do they like him? We'll never know.

Can you imagine facing the rest of your life in prison when you're 21 years old?

Can you imagine being shot to death while lying on a city street at 22 years old?
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #156  
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
waltzingmatilda's Avatar
waltzingmatilda waltzingmatilda is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the moment
Posts: 5,723
hugs, (((borndem)))
__________________
...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:
  #157  
Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
hugs, (((borndem)))
Thanks, matilda!! back atcha (((waltzingmatilda)))

I think we ALL need one. Whew, this is tuff stuff...
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #158  
Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 PM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndem View Post
That would be a tuff one, luckyme!

The Constitution says he has a right to a fair trial, and I think his DT, the Judge and the PT are doing that. Bethea-Shields is trying her best to insert little beads of doubt about Lovette's being there and doing that, but she isn't beating a big bass drum when she does. The last two days, and the ATM pics aren't helping too much, however.

And I can't imagine that the jurors like him -- and his "friends" aren't helping that one bit. They all, so far, have criminal records of various degrees of seriousness. Maybe the DT can find a baby sitter who said he was a good baby... Did he finish high school?

Here is a link to his criminal history:

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/...urence&searchG

But it sounds like he also got into trouble in his youth which wouldn't be listed. I'd like to know about that, as well as Atwater's, but never mind about that. Another thing we'll never know.

I got on google and "walked around" the neighborhood where his mother lives, and it looks okay -- middle-class, 1500 -- 2000 sq.ft. houses, some nicer than others -- some a little "worn" -- but in neat yards, lawns trimmed at the curbs, with driveways. Okay street. I don't know if this was his neighborhood growing up, but it probably looked even better 15 years ago. It didn't look like a "bad" area, but I don't know anything about Durham other than Duke Hospital and the University.

It will be interesting to see if they put on a defense or if they will just try to find that one juror with their final argument. I do wonder how enthusiastic they really are about their client's chances. Certainly defense attorneys defend all kinds of "bad" characters, and this one probably isn't their first thug or gangster type. Somebody has to do it. Have they found any humanity in him? Do they like him? We'll never know.

Can you imagine facing the rest of your life in prison when you're 21 years old?

Can you imagine being shot to death while lying on a city street at 22 years old?
I agree. Im usually pro defense. Not this time though! This is rumor i read it on line and dont have a link. I read that he was adopted by his parents. I wonder if his mother is there? This is just a sad situation! moo
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #159  
Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
JoeFromLB JoeFromLB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 2,701
I don't know if this has been posted already, but it's simply heartbreaking:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...-says-witness/
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:
  #160  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:24 PM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
cellphone lady on stand. verizon. Lovettes phone.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #161  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
I agree. Im usually pro defense. Not this time though! This is rumor i read it on line and dont have a link. I read that he was adopted by his parents. I wonder if his mother is there? This is just a sad situation! moo
Yes, luckyme -- I read the same thing somewhere -- about his being adopted and his father being excited about it and about raising him properly, etc., etc. I would like to know more about that... Each day I look, and I haven't seen anybody who looks like family on his side of the courtroom. IDK if she can't come -- she runs child care in her home, IIRC, so she may not be able to leave -- you can't just stop day care for working parents...??? Or if she has chosen not to come or what. She could be there, and I'm just not seeing her or any of his family members. The courtroom is not that full. IDK.

I'll dig around & see if I can find anything... probably won't be easy...
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Is it just me & my computer, or is anybody else experiencing the audio portion of the live coverage being usually mostly okay in the morning & then deteriorating to awful-to-none in the afternoon? I've refreshed, re-connected and re-cursed and nothing works. Grrrrr. ..
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #163  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Poking around, found this:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2924875/


Details of his criminal record since he was 17 y/o. Not a model citizen, IMO, but that's just me...

ETA: Here is a bit more about his adoption:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01180.html

And more info on the trial testimony...

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.ph..._lovette_trial
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

Last edited by borndem; 12-14-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #164  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
And another little tidbit about the thugmen:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2008/03/...-at-large.html
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndem View Post
Poking around, found this:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2924875/


Details of his criminal record since he was 17 y/o. Not a model citizen, IMO, but that's just me...

ETA: Here is a bit more about his adoption:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01180.html

And more info on the trial testimony...

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.ph..._lovette_trial

Thanks! Yes the live stream is horrible in afternoon. I had to stop watching.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #166  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
waltzingmatilda's Avatar
waltzingmatilda waltzingmatilda is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: in the moment
Posts: 5,723
Good Morning all!

I couldn't get the afternoon live stream either. Prolly a good thing because I caught up on some housework.
__________________
...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:
  #167  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
OT/ I saw on abc11 news this morning where prosecutor will decide if they will seek the death penalty against grant and amanda in the Laura atkerson case.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #168  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM
luckyme luckyme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,530
PROGRAM ALERT: STREAMING TODAY OF THE LAURENCE LOVETTE MURDER TRIAL IS UNAVAILABLE DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
  #169  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 AM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
OT/ I saw on abc11 news this morning where prosecutor will decide if they will seek the death penalty against grant and amanda in the Laura atkerson case.
Thanks -- At least the possibility of it should scare them just a bit, I hope! That way the jury has a "fall-back" position if they just can't quite dish out the DP -- there's always LWOP! What an egotistical ******* he is.
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #170  
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
Good Morning all!

I couldn't get the afternoon live stream either. Prolly a good thing because I caught up on some housework.
Looks like all of us should have a chance to clean today -- Thursday. Apparently no live feed from WRAL. Dayam-it! <sigh>
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #171  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Prosecution Rests; Defense Rests w/no Witnesses Called

From WRAL

Alert

Just In: Closing arguments have been scheduled for Monday in the trial of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., who is charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of UNC-Chapel Hill student body president Eve Carson. Prosecutors rested their case Thursday afternoon after calling 43 witnesses over seven days. Defense attorneys rested their case without calling any witnesses.
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
  #172  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM
gorealtors's Avatar
gorealtors gorealtors is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndem View Post
From WRAL

Alert

Just In: Closing arguments have been scheduled for Monday in the trial of Laurence Alvin Lovette Jr., who is charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of UNC-Chapel Hill student body president Eve Carson. Prosecutors rested their case Thursday afternoon after calling 43 witnesses over seven days. Defense attorneys rested their case without calling any witnesses.
Guess the defense couldn't dredge up a single soul, not even his mother, that could offer up anything to help the thug!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gorealtors For This Useful Post:
  #173  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
PrairieWind PrairieWind is offline
Verified Attorney
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,238
I can't imagine the jury will be out long on this one.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:
  #174  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
gorealtors's Avatar
gorealtors gorealtors is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieWind View Post
I can't imagine the jury will be out long on this one.
Probably one of the shortest jury deliberations in NC history.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gorealtors For This Useful Post:
  #175  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM
gorealtors's Avatar
gorealtors gorealtors is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 277
Closing arguments

Guess his attorney rolled the dice and decided not to present any evidence so they could have the last argument to the jury on Monday. Maybe felt this was the best way to plant the seed for reasonable doubt.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorealtors For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eve Carson, 22, shot to death, Chapel Hill, NC #2 Taximom Currently Awaiting Trial 506 06-12-2008 04:55 PM
Eve Carson, 22, shot to death, Chapel Hill, NC *merged threads* Helper Currently Awaiting Trial 542 03-12-2008 09:17 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!