Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Forum Information & Esoterica > Forum Finesse

Notices

Forum Finesse Technical tips, tutorials and troubleshooting for those days when the inability to login or add an image to your signature leaves you frustrated.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 PM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
Email Problems - 17 June 2008

We've been getting feedback that some of you are not getting emails for PMs and new posts.

It appears there is a problem involving AT&T rejecting mail from some sites, including Websleuths. In order to reduce spam, they are rejecting mail coming from sites whose mail server IP is part of a dynamically assigned pool. Our address is, indeed, part of a pool, a very large pool that is assigned to our hosting company. We have asked AT&T to verify that we are legit, but they don't exactly jump to it.

While this is getting fixed, if you think you are not getting email that you should be, check to see if the email address you have on file ends in one of these domains:

AT&T Internet Services:

ameritech.net
flash.net
nvbell.net
pacbell.net
prodigy.net
sbcglobal.net
snet.net
swbell.net
wans.net

AT&T Worldnet Services:
att.net
bellsouth.net

Yahoo!:
yahoo.com

If your email address DOES end in one of those domains - like mine does - you'll start getting email again when they fix their problem. If your email address does NOT end in one of those above and you think your mail is not getting through let me know and I'll test things from our end.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Marstan Marstan is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 334
But if we put in a yahoo email addy, we get banned, or did that change?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Tom'sGirl Tom'sGirl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CALIFORNIA
Posts: 11,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
We've been getting feedback that some of you are not getting emails for PMs and new posts.

It appears there is a problem involving AT&T rejecting mail from some sites, including Websleuths. In order to reduce spam, they are rejecting mail coming from sites whose mail server IP is part of a dynamically assigned pool. Our address is, indeed, part of a pool, a very large pool that is assigned to our hosting company. We have asked AT&T to verify that we are legit, but they don't exactly jump to it.

While this is getting fixed, if you think you are not getting email that you should be, check to see if the email address you have on file ends in one of these domains:

AT&T Internet Services:
ameritech.net
flash.net
nvbell.net
pacbell.net
prodigy.net
sbcglobal.net
snet.net
swbell.net
wans.net

AT&T Worldnet Services:
att.net
bellsouth.net

Yahoo!:
yahoo.com

If your email address DOES end in one of those domains - like mine does - you'll start getting email again when they fix their problem. If your email address does NOT end in one of those above and you think your mail is not getting through let me know and I'll test things from our end.
You are da bomb

Man did you jump on this problem in a hurry, I think I may love you
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Tom'sGirl Tom'sGirl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CALIFORNIA
Posts: 11,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marstan View Post
But if we put in a yahoo email addy, we get banned, or did that change?
You are confusing the 'freebie' yahoo and hotmail accts...........also GMail!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Taximom Taximom is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16,705
Would it help to write AT&T? They are my provider. I admire their attempts to keep us spam-free, but at least Yahoo lets me tell them what is spam and what isn't.

In the meantime, I wish we could use a non-AT&T email (i.e. free) to get our notifications. (Keeping the paid email addy on file, of course.)

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Tom'sGirl Tom'sGirl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CALIFORNIA
Posts: 11,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
Would it help to write AT&T? They are my provider. I admire their attempts to keep us spam-free, but at least Yahoo lets me tell them what is spam and what isn't.

In the meantime, I wish we could use a non-AT&T email (i.e. free) to get our notifications. (Keeping the paid email addy on file, of course.)

Thanks for the info!
I commend AT&T powered by Yahoo!

They've kept me from getting more than "spam", they've averted me from getting a dose of a "virus".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Taximom Taximom is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16,705
That's good, TG. I've been happy with them and haven't had any problems to speak of.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
As of about 30 minutes ago it appears the problem has been resolved per a message I got (probably helps that I'm a customer of theirs as well). I sent another test email to my various email accounts and all came through.

They even kind of apologized:

Quote:
The mail-server IP address(es) associated with your request are NOT
CURRENTLY BLOCKED from sending mail to any of our servers...ATT.NET and
BELLSOUTH.NET, its affiliates, and network services customers do NOT
intentionally block legitimate mail in the course of our anti-spam
initiatives. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 PM
LionRun LionRun is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 5,726
Adnoid, I thought the problem was on my end and began to wonder what else I wasn't getting. My email addy ends in earthlink.net. I get some PM notifications and email notices for subscribed but not others. This has been going on for a couple of weeks or so if I am not mistaken. Thanks adnoid for working to fix this problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Tom'sGirl Tom'sGirl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CALIFORNIA
Posts: 11,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
As of about 30 minutes ago it appears the problem has been resolved per a message I got (probably helps that I'm a customer of theirs as well). I sent another test email to my various email accounts and all came through.
I'm still not getting anything from WS, all other sites okay so far. I haven't gotten a reply from AT&T yet, but my connection was down for a spell
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl View Post
I'm still not getting anything from WS, all other sites okay so far. I haven't gotten a reply from AT&T yet, but my connection was down for a spell
I just checked again and...it's blocked again. So I've restarted the process.

Sigh...
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
pedinurse pedinurse is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,313
WHAT ?!!? we get banned if we put in a gmail address?
Because what happens when I move if I don't have an ISP yet?!?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Tom'sGirl Tom'sGirl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CALIFORNIA
Posts: 11,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
WHAT ?!!? we get banned if we put in a gmail address?
Because what happens when I move if I don't have an ISP yet?!?!?!
You can log into your account here at WS from anywhere, as long as you remember your password.

If you move and change your addy you can change the info. on your User CP column.

Trying to sign up as a new member with a 'freebie' email addy doesn't fly, but you won't be re-joining, just logging in.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 AM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
We want those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
WHAT ?!!? we get banned if we put in a gmail address?
Because what happens when I move if I don't have an ISP yet?!?!?!
Once you're a member it's OK.

The problem is that the free email accounts are sources of spammers. If someone wants to join and all they have is a free email account and absolutely cannot get access to a real one we can put them in manually after an interview.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Taximom Taximom is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16,705
Well, shoot. I just went to change my email addy here to my yahoo (free) addy and I got this message:
vBulletin Message
The administrator has banned your email address. To contact the administrator click here


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 AM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
Well, shoot. I just went to change my email addy here to my yahoo (free) addy and I got this message:
vBulletin Message
The administrator has banned your email address. To contact the administrator click here


We'll need to change it for you - your sbc account is still in there.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Taximom Taximom is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16,705
Oh, thanks, adnoid! What do I need to do?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
TinPan's Avatar
TinPan TinPan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 147
I am requesting one of those interviews that would allow me to use an email addy other than a paid one. You will only be able to reach me by the personal message on here. I will explain in interview. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Chicogirl36's Avatar
Chicogirl36 Chicogirl36 is offline
Fallen Angel
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinPan View Post
I am requesting one of those interviews that would allow me to use an email addy other than a paid one. You will only be able to reach me by the personal message on here. I will explain in interview. Thank you!

Hi Tin Pan,
Can you please explain the 'interview' that you are speaking of? I had an entirely different, yet similar experience, and would like to see is your post will help me out. TIA
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
OK, as of tonight I got another personalized response and it's working based on my tests.

Those of you that contacted me about problems with other email addresses, I'll get to you ASAP.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Tom'sGirl Tom'sGirl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SO CALIFORNIA
Posts: 11,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
OK, as of tonight I got another personalized response and it's working based on my tests.

Those of you that contacted me about problems with other email addresses, I'll get to you ASAP.
Been working for me just fine since yesterday morning. I got a long azz reply from them yesteday also
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 AM
KOOL LOOK's Avatar
KOOL LOOK KOOL LOOK is offline
~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SOUTH CAROLINA
Posts: 6,767
No e-mail problem, but didn't want to start a new thread for this problem.

All of a sudden I can't right click copy, then right click left click paste an immage/picture in my post replies as I've been doing.

Adnoid, anyone, what's wrong or happeneed? As I've not changed and done anything different, now I can't post picturs by copying and pasting?

TIA, so much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-27-2008, 01:51 PM
adnoid's Avatar
adnoid adnoid is offline
I'm in it for the tacos.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Up on the A1, by Scotch Corner
Posts: 16,157
KL, the copy & paste is done entirely on your computer, it has nothing to do with the site here. Does the right button of your mouse work for other things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOOL LOOK View Post
No e-mail problem, but didn't want to start a new thread for this problem.

All of a sudden I can't right click copy, then right click left click paste an immage/picture in my post replies as I've been doing.

Adnoid, anyone, what's wrong or happeneed? As I've not changed and done anything different, now I can't post picturs by copying and pasting?

TIA, so much.
__________________
Μολὼν λαβέ



Email me
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 PM
KOOL LOOK's Avatar
KOOL LOOK KOOL LOOK is offline
~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SOUTH CAROLINA
Posts: 6,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
KL, the copy & paste is done entirely on your computer, it has nothing to do with the site here. Does the right button of your mouse work for other things?
Oh my, good question. Ya know, I did notice a couple days back the mouse acting wacky and I wondered if it was time for a new one. So I started pounding it up and down, and Viola, fixed mouse, ummmmm, I think. Let me go see. Dunno, I can see while testin the good ole stick and freeze of my screen is workin just fine.

Let me continue to check it out. Thanks. So in other words, administrators or myself haven't changed settings, etc... dang it, I had such a darlin pic for the prayer thread. Thanks sweetie.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
haeveingridseyn haeveingridseyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Re: Email Problems - 17 June 2008

Hey adnoid,

I'm newbie and I have still the problem. I can't receive any posts or messages from the site. Some of the posts and messages are not received by me because of some problem. I have tried all the tricks but there is no result.
__________________
Multivitamins
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
at&t boneheads, death to spammers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
June 2008 Forum Weirdness Taximom Forum Finesse 5 06-17-2008 04:06 PM
House of Yahweh...nuclear war by June 12, 2008...again TGIRecovered Up to the Minute 17 06-07-2008 11:11 AM
P/m Problems!!! VespaElf Forum Finesse 3 03-19-2005 11:54 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!