Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 04-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

Deaf & Mute mother stands trial for attempting to kill her newborn ~ sad story.

Did Juliana try to kill her baby? When the defendant can neither hear nor speak, how does a court determine blame?

MERCED, Calif. - Juliana Martinez Dionicio has no language.

She is deaf and mute. Her family speaks only Trique, an obscure pre-Columbian language that is foreign even to other Mexicans. She communicates with her family in gestures no one else understands.

Illiterate and silent, Juliana lives in isolation made even more profound by her circumstances - traveling with her sister and father in an anonymous stream of undocumented immigrant farmworkers who tend fields across the West.

On a cold day last November, the tiny 24-year-old climbed a rusty chain link fence into a neighbor's filthy dog pen in Livingston, Calif. Alone, she gave birth to a baby girl.

Then she stuffed several wads of paper tissue in the infant's mouth.

California authorities arrested her on a charge of felony child endangerment.

"I would look at her sitting there in court and wonder what was going through her mind," said prosecutor Larry Morse II. "We can only suppose as to know she understands."

Imagine living in a world without words. Then imagine getting pregnant, perhaps as a result of rape, giving birth alone, being arrested - and not having the words to explain, or to understand what is happening.

That is Juliana's story.

Juliana was born in extreme poverty in San Martin Itunyoso, a remote village in the highlands of Oaxaca, Mexico. Her father worked the fields; her mother took care of the five children.

The family scraped by until they borrowed money to build a home. Unable to repay the debt, Pedro Martinez crossed the border illegally two years ago with Rosa and Juliana, his two oldest daughters.

Since then, Juliana has lived in crowded migrant camps, planting, weeding and harvesting in fields from southern California to Oregon.

It is a meager life. Pedro Martinez sent any savings back to the family in Oaxaca. There was no time or money for the young women's wants - new clothes, shoes - or for the most basic needs, like education and medical care, her father said through an interpreter.

Juliana had never been to a doctor, seen a social worker or attended school. A silent pair of hands in a field, she escaped notice until the chilly morning when she left the crowded house she shared with other migrant workers and scaled that fence.

Maria Silveira was watching TV when she heard her dog barking insistently. Frightened, the elderly woman rushed across the street to Livingston's tiny police department.

Officer Alan Cadiente and Lilly Trujillo, a volunteer Spanish-language translator, ran to Silveira's back yard. Inside the splintering old boards of its pen, the dog pulled against its leash, growling and barking.

There, they found Juliana squatting in fresh blood mixed with the leaves and dog excrement. She was cold and in shock. She would not look up, make eye contact or react to their presence.

"She didn't know who to trust," Cadiente said.

The baby, her black hair matted with blood, was propped like a doll against a tree trunk. Her lips were blue. She was cold to the touch. The umbilical cord was still attached.

Silveira brought out a towel - one of her new ones. Trujillo wrapped the baby, then noticed something white sticking out of her mouth. She pulled out a wad of tissue paper, then another. Paramedics rushing the child to the hospital found two more lodged in the baby's throat.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...cs/8408876.htm
Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

Holy chit that was unbelievably sad, wow! That will take a while to digest.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

Yeah, no quick answers to this mess, is there? Very difficult decisions for the prosecutors and police in this case.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Sad story. I am wondering why she stuffed the baby's mouth. Being deaf and mute herself, would she be concerned about the baby making noise and thus alerting people nearby? Did she understand that the baby would suffocate with the tissues in its mouth?
Old 04-13-2004, 02:37 PM

I can't imagine her being a harm to society and needing to be jailed. She may need counseling, I'm actually certain of that...but is prosecuting her and spending tax payers dollars to do so really protecting "us" from this poor girl. Don't do it on my behalf. Save the money and spend it to fry Scott Peterson!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Inactive

Well she got pregnant by someone, was she raped? Jeez, why didn't she give the baby to someone....you don't need to talk to hand a baby over.....This is so sad.....A life of misery is just going to get worse...Uggggg....I hate when children pay the price for their parents actions.....Too sad for words.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMomma
Well she got pregnant by someone, was she raped? Jeez, why didn't she give the baby to someone....you don't need to talk to hand a baby over.....This is so sad.....A life of misery is just going to get worse...Uggggg....I hate when children pay the price for their parents actions.....Too sad for words.
I am not sure which child you are talking about the 24-year old mother who never had the opportunity to learn how to communicate...and only she truly knows what else she has experienced, or her newborn child that had no opportuntity for survival in this deplorable situation? Both children were let down by their parents "mistakes". Extreme poverty, the lack of education and ability to communicate makes this case more than just a young mother who should have just given her baby to someone.

This is truly a terrible situation, both of these human beings are victims. The infant had no opportunity to make a choice but we do not know wether or not the young mother did. I think we should wait to make judgements against her until all of the facts are known. Maybe she made criminal choices....but then again, maybe not.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppymom
She may need counseling,
Hard to counsel a deaf mute that speaks in gestures. poor girl, so happy the baby survived.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamless
I am not sure which child you are talking about the 24-year old mother who never had the opportunity to learn how to communicate...and only she truly knows what else she has experienced, or her newborn child that had no opportuntity for survival in this deplorable situation? Both children were let down by their parents "mistakes". Extreme poverty, the lack of education and ability to communicate makes this case more than just a young mother who should have just given her baby to someone.

This is truly a terrible situation, both of these human beings are victims. The infant had no opportunity to make a choice but we do not know wether or not the young mother did. I think we should wait to make judgements against her until all of the facts are known. Maybe she made criminal choices....but then again, maybe not.

I was writing about both of them. The mother didn't have a chance in the world...and now now her baby doesn't either...I still think she shouldn't have tried to killed her baby. I understand she may not have known what she was doing or even understand the concept of death....

My mom works with migrant workers in Central CA, she has told me many sad stories. Poverty and lack of education is so terrible.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Banned

Charge against woman dropped

By MIKE CONWAY
BEE STAFF WRITER
Last Updated: March 31, 2004, 06:25:44 AM PST
MERCED -- Prosecutors on Tuesday dropped a child endangerment charge against the woman who gave birth Nov. 14 in the back yard of a Livingston home.
Police and paramedics said they found the baby choking from tissue jammed in her mouth, and suffering from hypothermia. The baby, named Hope, has been in foster care since her birth.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/83...-9189718c.html

I'm confused about the dates on these two stories. The ModBee reported charges dropped in March and the story that started this thread is from April 12. ??
Old 04-14-2004, 01:27 PM

Cass, she is not retarted, only deaf and mute and uneducated. You can teach deaf and mute people how to communicate, etc. They are not stupid unless they are not taught, as in the case of this young girl. It's sort of like saying a child with Down's syndrome is retared and can't learn. They are very bright when given the right opportunities. She needs to learn a lot about life and in the process how to deal with her emotions which she has never been able to express. I'd contribute to that cause any day.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Inactive

I seriously doubt that she was trying to harm the baby. Like the story said, I think she was trying to get the blood and other fluids out of the baby's mouth. If she only has the mind of an 11 year old, then she probably has no idea how to care for a baby.

This is a very sad, sad story. I can only hope that Hope will be adopted by a wonderful family and be loved like she deserves.

d