Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Please excuse me if this has already beed posted/asked but.. The person who wrote the letter said that he put a zodiac sign on Megans mirror using lipstick. Was there one on her mirror? Was that information made public? Or was that ONLY something the killer and LE knew about?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
Please excuse me if this has already beed posted/asked but.. The person who wrote the letter said that he put a zodiac sign on Megans mirror using lipstick. Was there one on her mirror? Was that information made public? Or was that ONLY something the killer and LE knew about?
Made public AFTER the note was received by the newspaper. Seems LE didn't want to disclose this at first.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Oooh interesting. So the letter writer has to be the killer or how else would he have known about the lipstick zodiac sign?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
Made public AFTER the note was received by the newspaper. Seems LE didn't want to disclose this at first.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Oooh interesting. So the letter writer has to be the killer or how else would he have known about the lipstick zodiac sign?!?!
Yep, I would think so. May not be a serial killer but a murderer just the same.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
always. SS~

Fort Bragg Soldier Named Person of Interest in Pregnant Army Dentist's Death

A soldier at Fort Bragg in North Carolina is a person of interest in the death of a pregnant servicewoman whose body was found in a motel bathtub a week ago, a military spokesman said Saturday.

The soldier is training at a school where special operations ranging from raids to reconstruction projects are taught, said Lt. Col. John Clearwater, a spokesman for the U.S. Army Special Operations Command. The soldier is studying psychological operations.

"We understand and are aware that a soldier assigned to the command as a student for training is a person of interest. We are not aware of any charges," Clearwater said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373383,00.html (Bolded by me)

This could certainly explain the copycat Zodiac letter. I didn't see this posted earlier here...if so I must have missed it.

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
Has anyone questioned why an alleged serial killer, who has murdered across many states and not been arrested, would suddenly lay claim to one murder, and make vague claims of other murders- both by use of the zodiac symbol in the room and the use of the symbol in the letter?

The letter was a ruse, the use of the symbol was a ruse IMO. The zodiac symbol has been widely used in movies, books and other places and just kind of represents "serial killer." Whoever used it was hoping to throw LE off track, maybe a desperate attempt to stop them from looking at someone with a relationship with her. I do think the letter was sent by the killer, but I don't think the killer is a serial murderer.

If I am correct about the use of ruses, then you have to be guarded about online comments that claim info about the murderer. They could be true. But they could also be diversions hoping that LE will hear and that they will divert them to another person with some type of relationship to Megan.

Has anything been said about why Megan Touma was at the motel? Was she staying there while in training? Or was she staying elsewhere and this was a one time thing? If this was not her regular place to stay, then why would she go there that time? Was this a place that she normally met with the father of the baby?

I heard on the news that she chose to stay at the $85 per night hotel rather than live in free base housing. She couldn't have been making much money.
IMO she had plans to meet somone who would've been recognized on base.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:40 PM
always. SS~

I think you are right, Poppy. I bet he is married.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
If he is the same guy I found then he is married. But, it is best for LE to say for sure.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:58 PM
always. SS~

True, CP. I wish they would come out with it already.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 PM

The fact that Megan was staying at a hotel does not strike me as odd at all. When you PCS it's normal to stay in a hotel for weeks & sometimes months depending on the housing situation in the area and your prefrence. Some people will wait in a hotel until base housing comes available some will just go rent off base. The Army pays you for this.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Inactive

Quote:
The fact that Megan was staying at a hotel does not strike me as odd at all. When you PCS it's normal to stay in a hotel for weeks & sometimes months depending on the housing situation in the area and your prefrence. Some people will wait in a hotel until base housing comes available some will just go rent off base. The Army pays you for this.

It was stated this was her preference and that housing on base was available. She was paying for this room for a few days..that was stated also. The day they found her was the last day she was registered to be at the hotel..per the hotel. I think she was returning to base housing at that time..they have said that was available to her from the start. I think she did this to have a few days with this person of interest before going to base housing.

I hope they have everything they need to pick him up and arrest him..no waiting around for him to go on leave.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
A diamond in process

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMcTwist View Post
I heard on the news that she chose to stay at the $85 per night hotel rather than live in free base housing. She couldn't have been making much money.
IMO she had plans to meet somone who would've been recognized on base.
Thank you PT, that was the point I was getting at. If the baby's Daddy was married, she wouldn't want to meet him on base there would be talk and problems.

The number one cause of death for a pregnant woman is not childbirth or heart disease. The number one cause is death at the hands of a relative or relative of one of her children (or the male part of the pregnancy). Who would know she was in that motel and in that particular room, since she hadn't been there that long?

Does anyone know anything about the motel in question? Anyone ever stayed there? How big is it, how busy? Is it likely to have cameras?

There have been very few serial killers who have actually laid claim to their murders via contact with the media. And those that do usually do so early on, not after they have "killed other women in other states." I too believe that the serial killer aspect is a ruse.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:45 AM

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=298047
I'm sure no one on this board is shocked by this..
Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 AM

IMO, it seems the POI got awfully lucky that Megan wasn't reported AWOL in a timely manner. Who had the responsibility of reporting her AWOL? What is the chain of command for that sort of thing? What if the POI was a link in that chain and kept her absence under the radar for as long as possible?
Just a thought....
Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
I wish I could find the link, I will try. The guy is married.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMcTwist View Post
IMO, it seems the POI got awfully lucky that Megan wasn't reported AWOL in a timely manner. Who had the responsibility of reporting her AWOL? What is the chain of command for that sort of thing? What if the POI was a link in that chain and kept her absence under the radar for as long as possible?
Just a thought....
It wouldn't shock me to find that out. Cesar Laurean was the link in the commanding chain that effected how the Maria Lauterbach case was handled.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 AM

I am not sure at all, but did find a member on military.com with this name and military spouse at Fort Bragg...

http://profile.military.com/member/v...mberId=7035111
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becklynn View Post
I wish I could find the link, I will try. The guy is married.
Edgar Patino Lopez was being discussed in a few posts on the following blog--a little ways down the page when you get there. Also see post #122 on this thread.

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2...#comment-43309
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Semper Fi

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373612,00.html

Authorities are treating the death of a pregnant Army servicewoman in North Carolina as a homicide, police said Monday. (more at link)
Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
Edgar Patino Lopez was being discussed in a few posts on the following blog--a little ways down the page when you get there. Also see post #122 on this thread.

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2...#comment-43309
A person by the name of Anabal made that post on mylifeofcrime, however the wording of the post seems to be the way a man would word things. Particularly saying they were buddies, women would usually say we were friends.

LOL there were more reporters there commenting trying to get interviews from that individual, then regular comments. Then the article about a person of interest from source close to the investigtaion..hmm..could that just be this person Anabal. I still wonder if that is a ruse to try to throw suspicion on someone else.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM
"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

Could be, Delta Dawn.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Source: German base links Touma, person of interest

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=298047
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM

The Army began investigating the case over the weekend, and Spc. Megan Lynn Touma's body was sent to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C., for a second autopsy.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
The Army began investigating the case over the weekend, and Spc. Megan Lynn Touma's body was sent to the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C., for a second autopsy.

Thanks for that article Deb. It appears that NC is done with their autopsy so now the Army has theirs. I hope they catch this perp. It appears they have a good idea of who he may be.

If there was any bloody fingerprints that match the POI at the crime scene then I would think that would seal the deal. No one else's fingerprints should be in the blood at the scene.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:23 PM
A diamond in process

I wondered why they were doing a second autopsy so soon. But I guess the civilians and the Army would each do their own. Seems like a waste of resources and additional burden on the family though.