Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 PM
anthrobones anthrobones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,166
Family Stranded at Airport After Being Kicked Off Plane

Family Says Airline Left Them Stranded At Airport


POSTED: 10:30 am PDT July 6, 2008
UPDATED: 11:01 am PDT July 6, 2008



SEATAC, Wash. -- A woman with two disabled children said her family was left stranded by Southwest Airlines on their way to Seattle.
Wendy Slaughter was traveling with her four children and her five-months pregnant sister Friday on a Southwest Airlines flight from Detroit to Seattle.
One of Slaughter’s children has autism and she also has a daughter with cerebral palsy.
When the family landed in Phoenix they were met at the gate by police officers, detained and told they were too disruptive to get on their connecting flight to Seattle, Slaughter said.

More:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/16803334/...s=sea&psp=news


I don't understand how they had no money.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
deanws deanws is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrobones View Post
Family Says Airline Left Them Stranded At Airport


POSTED: 10:30 am PDT July 6, 2008
UPDATED: 11:01 am PDT July 6, 2008



SEATAC, Wash. -- A woman with two disabled children said her family was left stranded by Southwest Airlines on their way to Seattle.
Wendy Slaughter was traveling with her four children and her five-months pregnant sister Friday on a Southwest Airlines flight from Detroit to Seattle.
One of Slaughter’s children has autism and she also has a daughter with cerebral palsy.
When the family landed in Phoenix they were met at the gate by police officers, detained and told they were too disruptive to get on their connecting flight to Seattle, Slaughter said.

More:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/16803334/...s=sea&psp=news


I don't understand how they had no money.
Give them money and an apology after they ADMITTED that their children were unruly, out of control, and loud? I DON'T think so idiot! If she couldn't control her children and they were creating a dangerous situation for the other passengers, then they SHOULD have been kicked off. Personal responsibility people! I need to put that in my siggy line because I am soooooo FREAKING tired of having to type it all the time!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Ciara's Avatar
Ciara Ciara is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,833
I couldnt agree with you more dean about personal responsibility. Its becoming more and more of an alien concept these days
__________________
Rest in Peace Baby P xx
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
pixies pixies is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,327
And using their kids problems as an excuse for them to be unruly.

I am not fan of this airline, I think they are rude and incompetent but I really do believe they did the correct thing here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Details Details is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,630
She says the children were out of control. Maybe she'd never flown before, and didn't know the children had to stay in their seats and behave - but after the flight attendant talked to her, she did know.

I know it's hard to get from place to place without flying - but in some situations, there's just no way flying is realistic. Two adults for four children, two of which have a disability - that's not an adequate ratio, not unless the children are very well behaved.

My mom had 4 of us - no disability, and well behaved most of the time - and we drove. Driving, you can stop, you can make your own decisions that affect mostly no one but you about safety, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
biggirl's Avatar
biggirl biggirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
I couldnt agree with you more dean about personal responsibility. Its becoming more and more of an alien concept these days
I have dealt quite a bit with autistic children and they sometime be disruptive and overly excited, especially in a situation that is overly stimulating (such as a first airline flight).

I reserve judgment until I would hear from fellow passengers about how disruptive the children were. I know first hand how cruel people can be when the see a child with handicaps that they do not understand. Sometimes autistic children will scream and be very hard to handle. It is not the parents fault and some consideration is due.

I also can see how hard it would be for flight attendants to serve a flight full of passengers if there are children in the aisle constantly. I guess there are two sides to every story and I just wanted to add MHO.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
deanws deanws is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggirl View Post
I have dealt quite a bit with autistic children and they sometime be disruptive and overly excited, especially in a situation that is overly stimulating (such as a first airline flight).

I reserve judgment until I would hear from fellow passengers about how disruptive the children were. I know first hand how cruel people can be when the see a child with handicaps that they do not understand. Sometimes autistic children will scream and be very hard to handle. It is not the parents fault and some consideration is due.

I also can see how hard it would be for flight attendants to serve a flight full of passengers if there are children in the aisle constantly. I guess there are two sides to every story and I just wanted to add MHO.
I am a retired teacher. I love kids, all kids. However, everyone on that plane paid for a ticket and they deserve the same consideration as that family does. If she can't control her children, then she needs to make other plans. I am sorry she has problems, but her rights ended when they infringed upon the rights of the other passengers. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Details Details is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,630
Out of control sounds like we aren't talking about just noise, but about them running in the aisles. That's not just difficult to serve drinks, that's considered a safety issue. The aisles need to remain clear for all types of movement.

"Fault" doesn't matter - doesn't matter if this is a spoiled rotten child and a lousy parent, or an autistic child and the perfect mother - if you can't behave well enough to be on the flight, you need to be off of it.


I completely understand trying to fly, so much faster and easier, and as a first flight, she couldn't know what her children would or would not do. But she should have had an extra adult along if at all possible, and when booted, going to the media is just silly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
biggirl's Avatar
biggirl biggirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanws View Post
I am a retired teacher. I love kids, all kids. However, everyone on that plane paid for a ticket and they deserve the same consideration as that family does. If she can't control her children, then she needs to make other plans. I am sorry she has problems, but her rights ended when they infringed upon the rights of the other passengers. JMO
I do agree with you and believe everyone on the plane has a right to a flight free of any troubles. That is why I would like to hear from the other passengers and find out what exactly happened on that flight. I also believe that when I have paid for my ticket and have to put up the arm rest so an overweight passenger can take half of my seat that I have a right to complain. I have had this happen and have complained and I have been told there was nothing that could be done. If these children were disruptive to the extent the airlines said they were then the correct action was taken. I just want to hear all of the story.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Spazkat9696 Spazkat9696 is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggirl View Post
I have dealt quite a bit with autistic children and they sometime be disruptive and overly excited, especially in a situation that is overly stimulating (such as a first airline flight).

I reserve judgment until I would hear from fellow passengers about how disruptive the children were. I know first hand how cruel people can be when the see a child with handicaps that they do not understand. Sometimes autistic children will scream and be very hard to handle. It is not the parents fault and some consideration is due.

I also can see how hard it would be for flight attendants to serve a flight full of passengers if there are children in the aisle constantly. I guess there are two sides to every story and I just wanted to add MHO.

As a teacher of children with autism I disagree a bit. A lot of the behavior demonstrated by children with autism is learned. If you allow the child to get their way at home when they scream they will do it in public. I know that they do become overstimulated which causes behaviors, but over stimulation is not the cause for all behaviors. This mom should have known if her child would be OK on a flight. If she saw he child becoming overstimulated she should have left. I'm just getting sick of people who say children with autism should be excused for every little thing because they have autism. That's not true, Even my lowest functioning students can learn not to scream and sit calmly given the proper visual supports and reinforcement.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
biggirl's Avatar
biggirl biggirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post

As a teacher of children with autism I disagree a bit. A lot of the behavior demonstrated by children with autism is learned. If you allow the child to get their way at home when they scream they will do it in public. I know that they do become overstimulated which causes behaviors, but over stimulation is not the cause for all behaviors. This mom should have known if her child would be OK on a flight. If she saw he child becoming overstimulated she should have left. I'm just getting sick of people who say children with autism should be excused for every little thing because they have autism. That's not true, Even my lowest functioning students can learn not to scream and sit calmly given the proper visual supports and reinforcement.
I am totally in awe of you and your work with children with autism. I know how hard that can be when it covers such a wide spectrum. After reading your post, I do agree that a mother or father or aunt would more than likely know the affect of a first plane ride would have on the child. I stand corrected and salute you.

My wish would be to have more teachers in our country that are trained to do what you are obviously able to do. Kudos.

Where is everyone finding these new Smileys?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Ciara's Avatar
Ciara Ciara is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,833
I am a nervous flyer as it is, so if there was disruption on the plane I think I would have a heart attack lol. I think anyone out of control on a plane needs to be taken off it. With kids, they can have a certain amount of leeway just because they are kids and its hard to keep them occupied etc but when they are completely going loopy then they need to be taken off too.
__________________
Rest in Peace Baby P xx
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
deanws deanws is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggirl View Post
I am totally in awe of you and your work with children with autism. I know how hard that can be when it covers such a wide spectrum. After reading your post, I do agree that a mother or father or aunt would more than likely know the affect of a first plane ride would have on the child. I stand corrected and salute you.

My wish would be to have more teachers in our country that are trained to do what you are obviously able to do. Kudos.

Where is everyone finding these new Smileys?
Right under the old smilies.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Annie's Avatar
Annie Annie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,084
I was listening to a discussion of this on XM radio today on the way home from a trip. One of the passengers described it as "a flight from Hell". I think she should have controlled the children or expected what she got. She owes the other passengers and the airline an apology for the disruption.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM
biggirl's Avatar
biggirl biggirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanws View Post
Right under the old smilies.
Thank you!Found em!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
biggirl's Avatar
biggirl biggirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
I was listening to a discussion of this on XM radio today on the way home from a trip. One of the passengers described it as "a flight from Hell". I think she should have controlled the children or expected what she got. She owes the other passengers and the airline an apology for the disruption.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. If it was the "flight from hell" for the other passengers then she is the one that should apologize. Thank you for posting the report you heard.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Trino Trino is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,465
Years ago parents would never have thought of taking an autistic or learning disabled child on a plane, but times have changed. Flying now encompasses the entire population, but, unfortunately, many passengers remember the good old days and haven't accepted change.

While I don't have an answer to the mixture of people, I don't think throwing an autistic child/parents off a plane is going to "fly." Maybe these people won't sue, but it will be coming.

Exactly, what is a disruption? Crying babies get to me, yet this is part of life. And, there are degrees of autism and degrees of disabilities. The world is a mixture of people. When I purchase a ticket, there are no guarantees. My philosophy is, "Get over it. It's just a plane ride."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
bakerprune64 bakerprune64 is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
I was listening to a discussion of this on XM radio today on the way home from a trip. One of the passengers described it as "a flight from Hell". I think she should have controlled the children or expected what she got. She owes the other passengers and the airline an apology for the disruption.
Wouldn't that be nice if she got a nice fat bill from the airlines for the distruption I've been with Amraann out and about before with her Autistic son, he was very well behaved the whole time. I agree with another poster that these children exhibited a learned behavior.

That being said, I was flying one time with a friend, and there was a rotten little 4-5 year old sitting in front of us. Throwing crap over the seat at us, dropping stuff on our food tray, just a rotten little ass of a kid. I asked the mom if she could please at least turn him around so we could enjoy our meal. The mom was a *****, guess I know where the kid got his attitude from, and refused to do anything about it. my friend gets motion sick and was trying her best to keep her stomach in check, she got up and leaned over to talk to the mom, and whoopsie....she barfed all over the woman They moved that woman and the rotten ass kid up to the front of the plane. My friend politely wiped her mouth and sat in her seat, and said "oh man I feel so much better now!" LMAO, I need to fly with her more often.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Spazkat9696 Spazkat9696 is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
Wouldn't that be nice if she got a nice fat bill from the airlines for the distruption I've been with Amraann out and about before with her Autistic son, he was very well behaved the whole time. I agree with another poster that these children exhibited a learned behavior.

That being said, I was flying one time with a friend, and there was a rotten little 4-5 year old sitting in front of us. Throwing crap over the seat at us, dropping stuff on our food tray, just a rotten little ass of a kid. I asked the mom if she could please at least turn him around so we could enjoy our meal. The mom was a *****, guess I know where the kid got his attitude from, and refused to do anything about it. my friend gets motion sick and was trying her best to keep her stomach in check, she got up and leaned over to talk to the mom, and whoopsie....she barfed all over the woman They moved that woman and the rotten ass kid up to the front of the plane. My friend politely wiped her mouth and sat in her seat, and said "oh man I feel so much better now!" LMAO, I need to fly with her more often.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
deanws deanws is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trino View Post
Years ago parents would never have thought of taking an autistic or learning disabled child on a plane, but times have changed. Flying now encompasses the entire population, but, unfortunately, many passengers remember the good old days and haven't accepted change.

While I don't have an answer to the mixture of people, I don't think throwing an autistic child/parents off a plane is going to "fly." Maybe these people won't sue, but it will be coming.

Exactly, what is a disruption? Crying babies get to me, yet this is part of life. And, there are degrees of autism and degrees of disabilities. The world is a mixture of people. When I purchase a ticket, there are no guarantees. My philosophy is, "Get over it. It's just a plane ride."
IMO, the attitude in your post explains exactly why people in the world today treat each other with no respect. I disagree with your ENTIRE post.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 PM
deanws deanws is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
Wouldn't that be nice if she got a nice fat bill from the airlines for the distruption I've been with Amraann out and about before with her Autistic son, he was very well behaved the whole time. I agree with another poster that these children exhibited a learned behavior.

That being said, I was flying one time with a friend, and there was a rotten little 4-5 year old sitting in front of us. Throwing crap over the seat at us, dropping stuff on our food tray, just a rotten little ass of a kid. I asked the mom if she could please at least turn him around so we could enjoy our meal. The mom was a *****, guess I know where the kid got his attitude from, and refused to do anything about it. my friend gets motion sick and was trying her best to keep her stomach in check, she got up and leaned over to talk to the mom, and whoopsie....she barfed all over the woman They moved that woman and the rotten ass kid up to the front of the plane. My friend politely wiped her mouth and sat in her seat, and said "oh man I feel so much better now!" LMAO, I need to fly with her more often.
I am SOOOOO loving your post baker!~
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
BarnGoddess BarnGoddess is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post

As a teacher of children with autism I disagree a bit. A lot of the behavior demonstrated by children with autism is learned. If you allow the child to get their way at home when they scream they will do it in public. I know that they do become overstimulated which causes behaviors, but over stimulation is not the cause for all behaviors. This mom should have known if her child would be OK on a flight. If she saw he child becoming overstimulated she should have left. I'm just getting sick of people who say children with autism should be excused for every little thing because they have autism. That's not true, Even my lowest functioning students can learn not to scream and sit calmly given the proper visual supports and reinforcement.
Spazkat, I am going to be working with several autistic children next week. There will also be one or two with cerebal palsy as well. This will be my first year as a volunteer actually working with these children. We have donated one of our horses for several years in the Hideaway at Cameron Lane project. Two of our horses know when they have a "special passenger" aboard and are requested each year. I do know a couple of the autistic kids and I've never noticed either of them out of control at any time. One is severly affected and quite withdrawn. I understand his experience last year was a breakthrough. I will be interested to see how he responds this year.

I also have been on those flights from Hell on occasion. I really don't think the kid who kept up kicking my seat from behind was anything but the spoiled spawn of a demanding beotch of a mother. She actually laughed when the little b**tard told me I could go to He**. Fortunately the male attendant overheard it and moved them all the way back to the rear in the worst seats you could be in.

I may call on you and Amraan for answers to questions I may have as I learn to work with these kids.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Trino Trino is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanws View Post
IMO, the attitude in your post explains exactly why people in the world today treat each other with no respect. I disagree with your ENTIRE post.
Excuse me, but I believe I am treating people with respect. (Your comment was disrespectful.)

I TOLERATE people who are different. As I said, it's just a plane ride. My husband is a business traveler - very frequent flier. Often I accompany him. As I said, we don't complain.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
4eyedbuzzard 4eyedbuzzard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 54
There are extremely wide differences in behavior within the spectrum of Autism. Until I hear more, I would tend to side with the Airline and the passenger (who called it the flight from hell). And perhaps the best thing for both the other passengers AND the child was not to be boarded on the next flight. But as I was not personally there I really can't say. I've also run into people who have no tolerance for anything that disrupts their own little world slightly, and unfortunately there are many people who are extremely intolerant of the disabled, especially children.

I also think we should allow that perhaps this child/children and the mother were caught at their worst. For whatever reason here is a mother flying her four children, two of them special needs kids, cross country with no extra money. I doubt any of the people on that flight that thought they had a bad day would trade places with that woman for a minute.

I'm not saying that the airline necessarily made the wrong decision. But it's really easy to sit here behind a keyboard espousing ideas on how we would have better handled these children and the situation without knowing what these childrens disabilities and needs are.

A little more compassion in the tone of some of the posts here might be nice, that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
deanws deanws is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnGoddess View Post
Spazkat, I am going to be working with several autistic children next week. There will also be one or two with cerebal palsy as well. This will be my first year as a volunteer actually working with these children. We have donated one of our horses for several years in the Hideaway at Cameron Lane project. Two of our horses know when they have a "special passenger" aboard and are requested each year. I do know a couple of the autistic kids and I've never noticed either of them out of control at any time. One is severly affected and quite withdrawn. I understand his experience last year was a breakthrough. I will be interested to see how he responds this year.

I also have been on those flights from Hell on occasion. I really don't think the kid who kept up kicking my seat from behind was anything but the spoiled spawn of a demanding beotch of a mother. She actually laughed when the little b**tard told me I could go to He**. Fortunately the male attendant overheard it and moved them all the way back to the rear in the worst seats you could be in.

I may call on you and Amraan for answers to questions I may have as I learn to work with these kids.
BG, that is a cool thing for you to do. I hope you and your horses enjoy the experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would YOU do kept on plane;stranded on Hwy,zero and snow Sundayrain Up to the Minute 46 02-16-2007 07:06 PM
3 year-old Kicked Off Plane After Tantrum Floh Up to the Minute 186 01-31-2007 09:24 AM
Bomb threat called in from loaded, parked plane at Toledo airport Beyond Belief Up to the Minute 4 01-12-2007 01:03 PM
Family kicked out of all you can eat buffet. Amraann Bizarre and Off-Beat News 29 05-20-2006 11:47 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!