Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Caylee Anthony 2 years old

Notices

Caylee Anthony 2 years old Not reported missing for a month after she was last seen.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
cjm11 cjm11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 250
Body Farm at University of TN

Here's a link to the "Body Farm" if you would like to learn more about it.
http://web.utk.edu/~anthrop/FACcenter.html

It is Forensic Anthropology, essentially the study of a deceased person. This farm actually uses REAL deceased bodies (from body donations after death). They set up various senarios to be able to study how a body reacts to certain situations after death. Education is usually a Masters Degree and PhD.

I haven't had time to fully check out the link, including the type of testing they are doing on this case. But I'm positive my fellow sleuthers will be adding more info so we may all learn more about this fascinating education and forensic studies they do.
  #2  
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Truthful Lies's Avatar
Truthful Lies Truthful Lies is offline
"Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Anas Nin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,530
There was a TV thing on this place, too...but I can't remember what network or what it was called. Interesting to see how they do it...bodies everywhere! =p
__________________
Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com
  #3  
Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 PM
dee10134 dee10134 is offline
I'm BAAAAACK!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm11 View Post
Here's a link to the "Body Farm" if you would like to learn more about it.
http://web.utk.edu/~anthrop/FACcenter.html

It is Forensic Anthropology, essentially the study of a deceased person. This farm actually uses REAL deceased bodies (from body donations after death). They set up various senarios to be able to study how a body reacts to certain situations after death. Education is usually a Masters Degree and PhD.

I haven't had time to fully check out the link, including the type of testing they are doing on this case. But I'm positive my fellow sleuthers will be adding more info so we may all learn more about this fascinating education and forensic studies they do.
I've been posting bits and pieces of information on varying threads about how quickly a body actually begins decomposing. I read an article about this place recently and it was actually fascinating to learn the science behind this.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  #4  
Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM
sariebell's Avatar
sariebell sariebell is offline
Artsy Fartsy
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,010
I swear sometimes in the heat of summer when the humidity is high you can smell it as you drive around that area on Alcoa Highway. Maybe it's something else, but I don't know many other things that can waft death stench like that.
__________________
Just my opinion anyway... cheers!
  #5  
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
dee10134 dee10134 is offline
I'm BAAAAACK!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by sariebell View Post
I swear sometimes in the heat of summer when the humidity is high you can smell it as you drive around that area on Alcoa Highway. Maybe it's something else, but I don't know many other things that can waft death stench like that.
EW!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning." ~ Benjamin Franklin
  #6  
Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
happy2bn10ec's Avatar
happy2bn10ec happy2bn10ec is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 199
http://www.jeffersonbass.com/
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=924
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...ass/index.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/30...e-body-fa.html


I have been reading about Dr. Bass and the Body Farm for years. My b-i-l told me about him - he studied under him and worked in his office when he went to UT. Some pretty interesting stuff going on down there.
  #7  
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
cjm11 cjm11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bn10ec View Post
http://www.jeffersonbass.com/
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=924
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...ass/index.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/30...e-body-fa.html


I have been reading about Dr. Bass and the Body Farm for years. My b-i-l told me about him - he studied under him and worked in his office when he went to UT. Some pretty interesting stuff going on down there.
Woa! You definately have to be a special person to be able to endure that education. I'm interested in medical science, but don't think I could do that. Thank your b-i-l for helping in such a needed way. This is relatively new in the field of forensics and look how far they come with it!
  #8  
Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 PM
TaylorJ4 TaylorJ4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 537
Patricia Cornwell writes about the Body Farm in her Kay Scarpetta books...

You really can get a noseful if you park in the back lots at UT Hospital
  #9  
Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 PM
concernedperson concernedperson is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bn10ec View Post
http://www.jeffersonbass.com/
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=924
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...ass/index.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/30...e-body-fa.html


I have been reading about Dr. Bass and the Body Farm for years. My b-i-l told me about him - he studied under him and worked in his office when he went to UT. Some pretty interesting stuff going on down there.
Not only interesting but humanitarian. The work The Body Farm does helps bring victims home to their loved ones. Despite the fact of the matter of death, more explicitly murder, the clues developed help identify the victim and help identify the murderer.

The work may never stop murders but it will be a detriment to those who consider that an alternative. They will be caught.

Your BIL and Dr. Bass and others are remarkable people for getting to the core matter and treating all victims with humanity. The families that donate remains to the The Body Farm are to be commended as well. With all the effort put forth and the knowledge brought forth it will soon be a thing of the past where someone believes they can get away with murder.

The indignity of death and the spoils are only rewarded by being in a better place afterwards. The resulting death before their time is a matter for our earth community.
  #10  
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
MistyM's Avatar
MistyM MistyM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: canada
Posts: 855
"Hi, I'm Dr. Bill Bass, let me welcome you to the body farm! How 'bout coming and taking a little tour with me!"

As he beckons you inside like a sweet old grandpa asking you to come in for hot chocolate.

I LOVE HIM! He makes the macabre so happy and fun.
__________________
OCCAM'S RAZOR : "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."
  #11  
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
passionflower's Avatar
passionflower passionflower is offline
Just 1 tip to find a killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STEELER COUNTRY!
Posts: 24,258
It would be interesting to see what Dr. Bass would say would be left of a tiny 2 year old's body after heat, humidity and animals in that area. IMO, not much.........so sad.
  #12  
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Elphaba's Avatar
Elphaba Elphaba is offline
Defying Gravity...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MD 'burbs of Washington DC
Posts: 5,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorJ4 View Post
Patricia Cornwell writes about the Body Farm in her Kay Scarpetta books...

You really can get a noseful if you park in the back lots at UT Hospital
That is how I came to know about the Body Farm, a long time ago... it is extremely interesting to research, if you are into the intricate complexity of forensic science.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
body donations, body farm, body reacts after death, dr. bass, forensic anthropology, help identify killer, help identify victim, kay scarpetta, link bodyfarm, links dead study, master's degree, patricia cornwell, phd student, study of dead, university of tn, use real dead bodies

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body of Woman Found in New York University Apartment dark_shadows Crimes in the News 10 04-07-2010 02:42 PM
Western Carolina U plans Body Farm anthrobones Crimes in the News 1 08-09-2006 11:37 PM
Iowa Prof. Seeks Funding for "Body Farm" PrayersForMaura Up to the Minute 0 11-28-2005 10:24 PM
The Body Farm Linda7NJ Crimes in the News 5 10-23-2005 10:18 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!