Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Matt Garcia 22 yr old Fairfield CA, Councilman murdered

Matt Garcia, 22, Fairfield CA
This kid is my dear friend's son...PLEASE HELP!!

September 2, 2008

Fairfield Councilman Matt Garcia Dies From Gunshot Wound?

22-year-old Matt Garcia, one of the youngest elected officials in the state, succumbed to injuries after taking a "single bullet to the back of the head" on Monday night in front of a pal's house. He was allowed to die "naturally" at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek this afternoon, being taken off of life support at his family's request.
Garcia, who was born and raised in Farfield, wanted to be mayor the his hometown ever since he was in the sixth grade. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
The reason for his murder (i.e., whether or not Garcia was the intended target) is still under investigation. No arrests have been made.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 PM

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...rticle-6366741

By Teresa Garcia
FAIRFIELD, CA (KGO) -- Matt Garcia campaigned on a promise to do something about the kind of crime that took his life. He was a young banker with big ideas and, many believe, a big future in politics. At age 22, he was the youngest elected official in Fairfield history.

While police try to find his killer, his friends and colleagues vow to continue his legacy to fight hard for the issues her cared about.
"Governor Schwarzenegger has announced that he is providing a $50,000 reward, leading to the arrest of anybody involved in this heinous crime," says Fairfield Police Chief Kenton Rainey.

digGetAd("Rectangle");
Word of a large reward came just a few hours after Fairfield Mayor Harry price announced that 22-year-old Councilman Matt Garcia was brain dead, after being shot in the head Tuesday night near a friend's house.
"And I know that's a heavy, heavy burden for his family, for his friends, for all of you and certainly for our community," says Harry Price, Mayor of Fairfield.
Garcia was shot as he was going to visit a female friend in a Cordelia neighborhood.
Police say a mid 90's American made sedan stopped in front of the home as Garcia walked toward from his car.
"An unknown race male, approximately 5'9" with a medium build, exited a midsize American made sedan. He fired multiple rounds with a small caliber handgun or rifle. We don't know at this time."
According to police, the gunman then got back in his car, and drove off.
Jill Byrum was in a house across the street.
"My next door neighbor a couple doors down the way, actually came outside right when the gunshots happened and saw the car, but she can't make the model," says Byrum.
In a interview last November, Garcia ran on a promise to direct more city resources to young people, to keep them from the gangs and the lure of drugs and violence. He pushed for more youth centers, ball fields and a new swimming pool.
"I want his legacy to live on. We need to work on those things," says Sean Guinn, City Manager.
Garcia joined the council race as a young bank employee with no political experience, and emerged as a well-funded credible candidate, with a very large base of support.
Friends and family of Garcia will be together at City Hall for a vigil to honor his memory. At this time, there are no specifics on his official funeral service.
Tip Hotlines: Fairfield Police Department 24hr tip line 707-428-7790
Solano County Crimestoppers 707-644-7867
Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 PM

OMG !!! This is so tragic ! I am heartbroken to hear this. My heart goes out to your son and Matt's family. You say "Please Help", what can we do to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreenw View Post
Matt Garcia, 22, Fairfield CA
This kid is my dear friend's son...PLEASE HELP!!

September 2, 2008

Fairfield Councilman Matt Garcia Dies From Gunshot Wound?

22-year-old Matt Garcia, one of the youngest elected officials in the state, succumbed to injuries after taking a "single bullet to the back of the head" on Monday night in front of a pal's house. He was allowed to die "naturally" at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek this afternoon, being taken off of life support at his family's request.
Garcia, who was born and raised in Farfield, wanted to be mayor the his hometown ever since he was in the sixth grade. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
The reason for his murder (i.e., whether or not Garcia was the intended target) is still under investigation. No arrests have been made.
Jose Bernardo Martinez, aka "Beloved Doe" or "Amado Angelito"

Everything stated above is my own personal opinion, and not a reflection of anyone else's, including any organization which I may be affiliated with or support.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 AM

itsreenw

what an outstanding young man.... such a tragedy!

prayers of comfort for Matt's family & for yours.