Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Cold Cases

Notices

Cold Cases Discuss all cold cases here and sleuth out some new information!

Old 08-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethInAK
Tara Leigh Calico
http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/news...ews_tara.shtml
her disappearance was rather simple but the polaroids found later were not...
http://home.earthlink.net/~jenbird/calico.html
Isnt that creepy? We were discussing this case in another thread.To find three pictures in three different areas of what appears to be her........chilling.
I think all too often we discount "white slavery" cases as being just too far fetched but clearly,imo,Tara was/is being kept alive somewhere.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:33 AM
Inactive

trackers

I am sure this will get many of you up in arms, but one way to make sure we can always find our babies is tracking device, much like they use for people on house arrest. if we can use those leg brac. to keep track of them we could use them to track our kids if they come missing. also they have a device in cell phones that can be tracked i wish they could somehow put one in jewerly or something so we could track them if needed. tell me what you think. the worst thing i can think of is not knowing where or what happened to my son.

kat
Old 08-18-2004, 02:57 AM
Former member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATKAT19691
I am sure this will get many of you up in arms, but one way to make sure we can always find our babies is tracking device, much like they use for people on house arrest. if we can use those leg brac. to keep track of them we could use them to track our kids if they come missing. also they have a device in cell phones that can be tracked i wish they could somehow put one in jewerly or something so we could track them if needed. tell me what you think. the worst thing i can think of is not knowing where or what happened to my son.

kat
There is actually a PRODUCT they are working on that is embedded in the skin and works with a GPS system. NOT ready yet however. The ASIAN are working with "manipulating" skin with computer chips.

However scary this sounds with reference to "Revelations" in the BIBLE, I would rather put something in my kids skin than to wish I had NOT.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:23 AM
UK GIRL

This case has bothered me for ages..its beyond creepy. I read that apparently the police siad at the time that they didnt believe the photos were Tara, but that her parents had an independent "ear matching" test done over here at Scotland Yard and they confirmed that it was indeed Tara. Also there was the v obvious clue of the Virginia Andrews book- which was apparently Taras favourite author..............This is too much of a coincidence. I wonder why they left them though? Is obviously not an accident. But then to have no other contact after that? Also read that the boy in the photos was believed to be Michael Henley- a boy missing at the time who has since be found dead. No other info on him though. It would be wonderful to think Tara was still alive.............
Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Live Laugh Love

what if that book was left buy the kidnapers but she somehow when they werent looking got a hold of a pen and put down the number of where she was at im sure she heard them talking to people and im sure the kidnapers had to give out the number a few times u know like if they are calling a friend and they are like im at this place now this is the number. becuse there friends are most likely shaddy people and dont want them comming in and out of the house you know looks suspicus. didn the parents find a number but it was all scratched out i wonder if they used a magnifing glass to better see the numbers
Old 08-18-2004, 10:44 AM
UK GIRL

Smile,
Appparently they DID call all possible combinatons of this phone number and none of them led to Tara. I think there were 30 something possible combinations.
I think you are right though- there are only 2 possible explanations for the number:
1) Tara somehow managed to write it as a way of tracking her.
2) The kidnappers wrote it as some kind of clue.

With either of these the number could be many things- a phone number, a code of a street name or address, a code of a persons name, some kind of message to Taras family, a message regarding her fate- perhaps a date...........The list just goes on and on!! I don't think that number is there by accident- WHATEVER it was meant to say, the message hasn't got through! On the other hand maybe its somekind of message to the abducters friends...some kind of secret code or something. Goodness knows, there are so many possible explanations, you could try and decifer this code forever.......

My personal view? I think the code is a message- a private message of some kind and that somebody, somewhere knows da*n well what it means, but has chosen not to say. Kidnappers don't have the time or inclination to make up complicated codes- I think this is something really obvious thats been overlooked. I think the photos themselves are also some kind of code- wasn't there a really weird one with her bound in gauze or something??

Interestingly I also found this link to missing boy Zack Bernhardt of a photo found of a boy bound and gagged which might be him.....Connected? Very possibly. Even if this photo isn't Zack, theres still a child bound and gagged.....

Heres the link http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/958923/detail.html

I'm gonna post this on Zacks thread as well.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma l
This case has bothered me for ages..its beyond creepy. I read that apparently the police siad at the time that they didnt believe the photos were Tara, but that her parents had an independent "ear matching" test done over here at Scotland Yard and they confirmed that it was indeed Tara. Also there was the v obvious clue of the Virginia Andrews book- which was apparently Taras favourite author..............This is too much of a coincidence. I wonder why they left them though? Is obviously not an accident. But then to have no other contact after that? Also read that the boy in the photos was believed to be Michael Henley- a boy missing at the time who has since be found dead. No other info on him though. It would be wonderful to think Tara was still alive.............
Michael Henley was found in the same place he disappeared, hunting with his father or grandfather, I think. He died of exposure when he got lost. Took ten years or something to find him - must have been pretty lost.

I find it very interesting about the ear matching! I spent hours staring at the photo to try and see if both girls had the same type earlobe (attached or detached).
Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 PM

I recently had a long conversation with several friends about missing persons. I think it was right about the time that Lori Hacking was missing.

I hope this comes across well, and the story isn't viewed as totally insensitive. But you know how groups of good friends can get, hanging out with a couple of cocktails.

These are guys who grew up in the country, many working on farms, some now farmers themselves, some now businessmen, etc. I grew up in the city.

A couple of the men in the group started asking each other "if you wanted to make someone disappear forever, what would you do?" The overwhelming response was "I'd throw him in with the hogs".

Our resident hog farmer confirmed the fact that a pen of hungry pigs could make a person disappear pretty quickly, (insert Hannibal flashbacks here) and any "smart killer" would do just that. Horrifying, terrible thought, but one that made me wonder if some of the missing people in the world disappeared that way.

It also got me thinking, if there is a missing person in a farming community, do you suppose the local law enforcement even thinks to look around hog farms? Or question the farmers? Is it common knowledge? Being a city girl, I was pretty shocked and horrified, I knew hogs were mean, but damn!

My hog farming friend also told a story about another hog farmer that he knows (I do not know him) who was once approached by a wealty man who offered him big bucks to ignore any activity out by his barn late at night. The farmer refused, but my friend thinks that disposing of a body might have been the goal.

Brittany Beers lived within an hour of many pig farms. Seeing her name here in this thread reminded me of this conversation.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think it's something that should be looked into further, when people in rural areas go missing?

Could hog farmers all over the country be making cash by turning a blind eye?

Scary to think about, isn't it?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:21 AM
UK GIRL

Bethinak,
I also spent hours looking at the ears and trying to work out whether it was Tara. Apparently the girl in the photos also had the same hair line as Tara and a scar on her leg from an accident she had as a child (I've spent hours looking for this and couldn't see it). i think its safe to to say it IS her..............too much of a coincidence otherwise.

Interestingly though I read that the police based the idea of the photo not being Tara on one simple fact- the girl in the photo has shaved legs, why would a kidnapper shave or allow an abducted girl to shave her legs?

I personally think its pretty self-explanatory.........You def would let the person shave their legs/wash/do their hair etc if you were keeping them for certain reasons........ I don't think i need to go into details...................
Apparently the girl in the photos was seen by witnesses on a beach shortly beore the photo was found. She was apparently surrounded by males and was being ordered around......but the police suspected it might have been staged...........Who knows? Its a pretty elaborate hoax.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
UK GIRL

sadiesue,

I think this is unfortunately a definite possibility............Weirdly I only thought about it for the first time when I saw that Hannibal lector film. I was watching it with my boyfriend and he wasn't suprised- he said that its a well known fact how vicious hogs are! Thinking about how often I read up on true crime, its unbelivable I never thought about it before really........

Its a truly horrible thought, but people will do a lot of things for money. You'd hope they'd draw the line where children are concerned, but most people have a price. People can be pretty cheap...........

As I was posting this I remembered about a case of missing womans DNA being found on a pig farm........heres the (RATHER GRUESOME- BE WARNED) link to the story
http://www.missingpeople.net/another_woman's_dna_found_at_pig_farm-sept_17,_2002.htm
Old 08-19-2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
A couple of the men in the group started asking each other "if you wanted to make someone disappear forever, what would you do?" The overwhelming response was "I'd throw him in with the hogs".
This actually happened in a rather famous, or maybe I should say infamous, case here in Michigan.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/mpccn/ognjan.html

http://www.freep.com/news/mich/bros30_20031030.htm
Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 PM

Wow Shellbee and Emma, your links make me wonder even more if it happens more frequently than city dwellers might realize.

Pretty scary.

My husband, having grown up in the country, thinks that rural law enforcement probably isn't smart enough to think of hog farms when people come up missing. I'm hoping he's wrong.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Interestingly though I read that the police based the idea of the photo not being Tara on one simple fact- the girl in the photo has shaved legs, why would a kidnapper shave or allow an abducted girl to shave her legs?

I personally think its pretty self-explanatory.........You def would let the person shave their legs/wash/do their hair etc if you were keeping them for certain reasons........ I don't think i need to go into details...................
Apparently the girl in the photos was seen by witnesses on a beach shortly beore the photo was found. She was apparently surrounded by males and was being ordered around......but the police suspected it might have been staged...........Who knows? Its a pretty elaborate hoax.
I had read about the men ordering the young lady around, and considered it might have been a consensual relationship that she had with the men, but hadn't heard all of the other similarities you mention.

Yes, if you kidnap someone for sexual reasons, you might want them to shave their legs.

It makes me more scared to consider how long Tara might have lived like this than it would to think that someone took and killed her quickly. IIRC, this photo was found MONTHS after Tara was kidnapped.

And who the hell is that little boy?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:44 AM
UK GIRL

BethInak,

I think about the boy in the photos a lot. Its weird that nobody came forward and said it was their child- apart from Micheal Henleys parents.....and as he was said to have died from exposure..................... Although I did notice in the article that Taras parents say that they "even have their doubts about that".....................

I was saying in the Zack Bernhardt thread that although it obviously couldn't be Zack in the photos with Tara, it is weird that the boy in that photo and the boy in the photo found bound and gagged around the time Zack dissapeared are both similar in looks- blonde haired, similar colouring etc. And that photo was also found outside a convience store as well- something about this is really bugging me.............

I also noticed that Tara disappeared in September 1988 and the first photo of her and the boy was taken on film not available until May 1989, the 2nd in June 1989 and the third in FEBRUARY 1990.

This would suggest that the photographer deliberately chose film that would tell people the time it was taken.......Why would anyone bother to do this if not to give some kind of clue or message that Tara was still alive months after she vanished?

Poor Tara, and that poor little boy. It must be devastating for her family, knowing she might have been alive for months after she disappeared- that she might even be somewhere right now. I think the pain of not knowing, of trying to keep some kind of hope alive would crush me. I don't know how people cope.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

Quote:
BethInak,

I think about the boy in the photos a lot. Its weird that nobody came forward and said it was their child- apart from Micheal Henleys parents.....and as he was said to have died from exposure..................... Although I did notice in the article that Taras parents say that they "even have their doubts about that".....................

I was saying in the Zack Bernhardt thread that although it obviously couldn't be Zack in the photos with Tara, it is weird that the boy in that photo and the boy in the photo found bound and gagged around the time Zack dissapeared are both similar in looks- blonde haired, similar colouring etc. And that photo was also found outside a convience store as well- something about this is really bugging me.............

I also noticed that Tara disappeared in September 1988 and the first photo of her and the boy was taken on film not available until May 1989, the 2nd in June 1989 and the third in FEBRUARY 1990.

This would suggest that the photographer deliberately chose film that would tell people the time it was taken.......Why would anyone bother to do this if not to give some kind of clue or message that Tara was still alive months after she vanished?

Poor Tara, and that poor little boy. It must be devastating for her family, knowing she might have been alive for months after she disappeared- that she might even be somewhere right now. I think the pain of not knowing, of trying to keep some kind of hope alive would crush me. I don't know how people cope.

Emma,
I too have been thinking about these cases (I guess we're sharing brainwaves! )and in my opinion they are related as the m/os are just too similar.
Think about it.........how many people(children) are abducted and held for longer than 24-48 hours? I dont have a statisic handy but if my memory serves me don't they say that if an abducted child is usually murdered within 2-3 hours after being kidnapped? And if/when they are held is it more than two days? Very rarely(yes theres Elizabeth Smart & Steven Stayer but their cases are anomilies are they not?) and in addition,how often do the abductors take photographs? I know sometimes a memento of sorts is kept(a piece of jewelry or clothing etc) but to my knowledge concrete evidence,i.e photos is again quite rare as is leaving said photos in a public place (those photos were left on purpose to be found imo).

I belive you're correct Emma in regards to the boys similarities and I belive that was deliberate too.

Very chilling!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:17 PM

Quote:
BethInak,

Emma!
Tell me about the second and third photos. In all my searches on Tara, I never heard of them.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:51 AM
Inactive

Quote:
There is actually a PRODUCT they are working on that is embedded in the skin and works with a GPS system. NOT ready yet however. The ASIAN are working with "manipulating" skin with computer chips.

However scary this sounds with reference to "Revelations" in the BIBLE, I would rather put something in my kids skin than to wish I had NOT.

I am in agreement with you on that. Just think how easy it would be to find these kids and return them home to mom, instead of mom spending the rest of her life wondering what happened to her child. It will be the best protection for our children.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:32 PM

cold cases

Case that haunt me are:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1ufny.html, the boy in the box. How could a child reamin unidentified for so long. Someone knows something and aunt, brother, sister, grandparent. Even a family aquantance.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1ufny.html Caledonia, NY Jane Doe. I think her case can be solved. She is probably a runaway who had a falling out with her family and is estranged then met up with the wrong person/people (maybe organized crime?) Her family maybe hasn't looked for her yet and don't even realize she has died. There probably wasn't a missing persons report filed or it was lost.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/34dfca.html Gayle Marks. I wonder if Wesley Shermantine has any information on her. He was convicted of killing 2 girls in Stockton, CA or the surrounding area in the 80's. The remains were never found but they had enough evidence to convict. Her mother has a nice website set up for Gayle at http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/GayleMarks/
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/374dfme.html Kimberly Moreau. I really have no thoughts about her. Maybe someone else out there does.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:23 AM
UK GIRL

QUOTE=BethInAK]Emma!
Tell me about the second and third photos. In all my searches on Tara, I never heard of them.[/quote]

Hey 2 sisters. Unfortunatley I've never seen the other photos,but they're mentioned in several articles.....

Theres this quote from the old MPCNN site and a news article

http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/news...ews_tara.shtml
"Two other similar photographs have surfaced over the years. One Polaroid, made on film that was unavailable until June 1989, was found near a residential construction site in Montecito, California and depicted a girl's face with her mouth covered by duct tape. The image is blurry, but Calico's mother says she thinks the girl in the photo is her daughter. She has a cowlick on her right temple like Calico, and also a lazy eye like Calico has. The blue-striped fabric the girl is lying on is similar to the pillow in the first photo.
The third Polaroid photograph was shot on film not available until February of 1990 shows a woman who is loosely bound in gauze and has her eyes covered with gauze and large black-framed glasses. There is a man sitting next to her on the passenger seat of an Amtrak train. Calico's mother is not sure whether the girl is daughter;or if its a cruel joke. Still, the man's face is included with two other suspect composites"
snip................................

I can't find a picture of the suspect composites anywhere which is annoying. Even if the 3rd photo is a fake, that still leaves the one taken in 1989. Thats a year after Tara was taken. Very spooky.............

Messiecake- we are indeed sharing brainwaves...........I believe that they are either related or are made to look like they are.....too similar otherwise. I wonder if its ever been looked into?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:03 PM

Jennifer Bryan Judd

Don't know why this case sticks in my mind. She was only 20 years old. She had only been married 10 days. I think it happened in 1992 and it has never been solved. She's from Kansas. Have you ever heard of this case?

Taffy
Old 09-06-2004, 05:03 AM
UK GIRL

Hey Taffy,

This was the only link I could find to a Jennifer Judd- is this her?

http://www.unsolvedcrimes.com/juddj.html

I hadn't heard of this case before and I can't find any other links- sometimes unsolved murder cases get almost no publicity- which is terrible. Do you have nay more info on her?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 AM

here is one that haunts me

I been looking at this for a long time now and have lost 23MB of info stored also an old posting on websleuths disappeared as well.
http://fbi.edgesuite.net/mostwant/seekinfo/zywicki.htm
Old 09-07-2004, 09:50 AM
UK GIRL

Hey Fotoaus- how did you manage to lose so much info?!! You know you can usually take PC's into a store and they can recover even deleted information.

My boyfriends computer died and in it was a full album of songs that his band had written and they have had interest from Sony Records so he was distraught!!
But they recovered it fine- he was sooooooooo worried. Anyway it might be worth a try. You might not even have to pay if it is a hardware or software problem that caused you to lose it and it is still under guarantee.

Anyway here's all Tammy's google links http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

And here's an interesting article http://web.grinnell.edu/sandb/archiv...s/zywicki.html
Old 10-01-2004, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlaw
You're right. Ken and Si were responsible for the deaths of these girls. They rode at Si's brother's barn and witnessed Ken's brother planting a bomb on Si's brother's car. (Si eventually succeeded in killing his brother years later). An assistant trainer, a young woman named Cherie, was asked to bring the car around to the front. The car exploded and she was killed. The three girls were witnesses, so Si had Ken kill them. Ken used his boat (which matched the description given by eyewitnesses) and then burned it. (he also collected insurance for the 'accident' to his boat).

The real mystery is where did Si's nephew, Frank Jayne Jr., put the body of Brach candy heiress Helen Brach. There have been books and movies about Helen Brach, but no one has ever found her body. Jayne's accomplice, Richard Bailey is in prison for life for his involvement in her murder.
Has this been proven, about Ken and Silas killing the 3 girls?

In memory of Laci and Conner and my wonderful grandparents Joan and Les - I love you guys
Old 10-04-2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATKAT19691

kat
I doubt this would work as undoubtably kidnappers would take off the item. Anything in the skin would probably get ripped out (ouch!).

kitap