Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Caylee Anthony 2 years old

Notices

Caylee Anthony 2 years old Not reported missing for a month after she was last seen.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 PM
karenmamo karenmamo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: springfield, mo
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnfound85 View Post
I really don't understand, finding a body will give them nothing more, they already have Caylee dead in the trunk, with chloroform as the murdering agent, what more do they want?
The DNA from the remains will give them a slam dunk.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Tuba's Avatar
Tuba Tuba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,220
Just last year in Bradenton, Maribel Chavez was tried for neglect of her child and then later tried for her liability in the death of that child. But the two incidents were not related. The first incident was more abuse than neglect--burns, fracture, bruising. The death occurred when a stove fell atop the child who suffocated for an hour while the drugged mother overslept.

When the two charges are related, they need to be tried together. Baez would fail in trying to separate them in this case. In order to use pertinent evidence to prove both neglect and homicide, both charges must be tried in the same prosecution. Many reasons for this: if evidence of neglect led the trier of fact to conclude the defendant guilty, the trier has a right to question what followed from that neglect? Here we have statutory neglect provable on its face. The mother ignored the fact her child was missing and unable to care for herself for 31 days. It is unreasonable to separate that neglect from the harm that ensued and to prosecute for a death separately.

LE has stated that hair from the trunk, in custody, consists of a hair from Caylee alive and a banded hair from her when dead. Cadaverine and putrescine stained the trunk, at least some of it from the nose & mouth. The air samples analyzed by TN Body Farm were positive for decomposition. LE stated the ongoing effort is to prove Casey is directly responsible for the fact Caylee was in the trunk and deceased. Air sample analysis has not been used in prosecution of a homicide in FL before. With sufficient validation of the science, there is no reason not to break ground here, particularly in conjunction with the other physical evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Obsessed1's Avatar
Obsessed1 Obsessed1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon718 View Post
This statement from LE doesn't worry me at all actually. They are BUILDING their case and it is a marathon not a sprint. (How long to Scott Peterson walk around free? 6 months or so?)

LE will charge her when they are good and ready and assured Baez has no wiggle room at trial. I am not concerned in the very least.

Casey is going down and everyone around her knows it.
I sooooooooo hope you are right & will try to have more of your positive attitude that justice will be served.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM
maskedwoman's Avatar
maskedwoman maskedwoman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
Just last year in Bradenton, Maribel Chavez was tried for neglect of her child and then later tried for her liability in the death of that child. But the two incidents were not related. The first incident was more abuse than neglect--burns, fracture, bruising. The death occurred when a stove fell atop the child who suffocated for an hour while the drugged mother overslept.

When the two charges are related, they need to be tried together. Baez would fail in trying to separate them in this case. In order to use pertinent evidence to prove both neglect and homicide, both charges must be tried in the same prosecution. Many reasons for this: if evidence of neglect led the trier of fact to conclude the defendant guilty, the trier has a right to question what followed from that neglect? Here we have statutory neglect provable on its face. The mother ignored the fact her child was missing and unable to care for herself for 31 days. It is unreasonable to separate that neglect from the harm that ensued and to prosecute for a death separately.

LE has stated that hair from the trunk, in custody, consists of a hair from Caylee alive and a banded hair from her when dead. Cadaverine and putrescine stained the trunk, at least some of it from the nose & mouth. The air samples analyzed by TN Body Farm were positive for decomposition. LE stated the ongoing effort is to prove Casey is directly responsible for the fact Caylee was in the trunk and deceased. Air sample analysis has not been used in prosecution of a homicide in FL before. With sufficient validation of the science, there is no reason not to break ground here, particularly in conjunction with the other physical evidence.
Wow, thank you. That actually seemed fairly simple the way you explained it. Do you teach?
__________________
We will never forget the missing.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Seranade Seranade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
On second thought, re-reading this anouncement...It's very discouraging. I think that they shouldn't have bothered anouncing anything. After all the references to DNA and forensics...this makes it sound like they have nothing.
Yes it does, doesn't it?

As has been stated before, people have been tried successfully for murder without a body. IF they have incontrovertible forensic proof that Caylee was dead in the trunk they could try her, no ifs ands or buts.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Laece's Avatar
Laece Laece is offline
Bring it on down to Omelette-ville-ahhh!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pa
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed1 View Post
I realize LE was impeded by KC not reporting Caylee missing for a month, but in my opinion, they have botched this right from the beginning. Why was CA allowed to wash the pants? Why did JB get the receipts and decide which ones to give them? Why was LA allowed to retrieve her stuff from TonE? Why in the he** wasn't the car taken into custody ASAP & not allowed to sit in their garage reeking of a dead human being? Why was she allowed bond when she cannot produce where her 2 year old (3 year old now!) child is located dead or alive? Travesty of justice and I am convinced she will not be prosecuted for Caylee's death. The whole family should burn in hell as far as I am concerned. I just can't waste any more time on this case since justice will never come. Now I understand why Greta stopped reporting on it. Waste, a HUGE waste!!!
i have been feeling this way on and off, too. it's so frustrating, and it sucks to feel like caylee is being given up on by anyone, LE or the people who care enough to follow the case and try to help. sometimes i feel like us laypeople do more to figure this all out than the ones who should be. i know LE can't tell us everything, it's just...getting old i guess.
__________________
do not use my posts without my written permission, other than for use contained within quoting on this websleuths site.

just because you always think someone is hiding in the bushes, doesn't mean that they're not.

You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark

You're out of the night
Step into the sun, step into the light.



Just stop it, Casey.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Sassynic's Avatar
Sassynic Sassynic is offline
Loves Sleuthing
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,045
This case is reminding me of that case they keep showing on Dateline on ID about a man who was missing, found dead, and the #1 person of interest (his business partner) was only charged with stealing the dead man's identity and using his checks. He never got charged with his murder but he is spending something like 30-40 yrs in prison for all the fraud, theft, forgery charges LE was able to rack up on him for using the dead man's checks, id, ect.

They keep showing this episode like once a week...reminds me of this Casey case every time.
__________________
.
.
The law is reason, free from passion. - Aristotle

♫ ⊹⊱✿ ◕‿◕✿⊰⊹♫

Here, have a smoothie:



♫ ⊹⊱✿ ◕‿◕✿⊰⊹♫

"Do you wanna spar with me?" ~Juan Martinez
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM
kathyn2's Avatar
kathyn2 kathyn2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,050
OK, I went and listened to this segment on the Today show. I think it is all taken out of context. OK, after watching this, in my opinion, it is ONLY this REPORTERS conclusion that there is not enough evidence to try Casey for murder. All sheriff Beary said is that it is difficult because there is no body. He didn't say anything else. He didn't say there are no charges coming. This report wants you to believe they don't have much on her and that they don't have anything to charge her with but thats not what Beary said. This whole report was made up of old clips of Baez and old news. Except for one small clip of beary saying it is difficult when there is no body. That could be old too for all I know. Thats ALL he said. Everything else was reporter interjection. I wouldn't take this to heart too much. I wish someone would interview LE on this and find out the real scoop but I don't think LE wants us to know anything yet.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM
PattyCake's Avatar
PattyCake PattyCake is offline
Gypsy By Heart
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas at the moment :)
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed1 View Post
I realize LE was impeded by KC not reporting Caylee missing for a month, but in my opinion, they have botched this right from the beginning. Why was CA allowed to wash the pants? Why did JB get the receipts and decide which ones to give them? Why was LA allowed to retrieve her stuff from TonE? Why in the he** wasn't the car taken into custody ASAP & not allowed to sit in their garage reeking of a dead human being? Why was she allowed bond when she cannot produce where her 2 year old (3 year old now!) child is located dead or alive? Travesty of justice and I am convinced she will not be prosecuted for Caylee's death. The whole family should burn in hell as far as I am concerned. I just can't waste any more time on this case since justice will never come. Now I understand why Greta stopped reporting on it. Waste, a HUGE waste!!!
First, CA washed the pants long before she told LE about them. JB does not get to ultimately decide on anything. LE can get search warrants and probably already has.

I'd like to reiterate here, they have a GOOD circumstancial case everyone! They will NOT run to lay charges until the prosecution feels he/she is fully prepared to head to trial as it's Baez right to ask for a 'speedy trial' if he feels the prosecution doesn't have their case 'ready to go'.

They will be laying charges but LE & prosecution is making certain that they are crossing every 't'. Once charges are laid, Baez has access to EVERYTHING. Prosecution doesn't want to show their hand until they are good and ready.

If LE says they DO have a case, how many of you out there would ABSOLUTELY EXPECT charges to come in the next day or so. Of course they're going to say things like this.
__________________
Only my opinion, no one else need agree.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
SharetheLight's Avatar
SharetheLight SharetheLight is offline
Share the Light, Share the Love
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here, but I'd rather be at the beach
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltigress View Post
My guess would be time and date of death that will completely tie Casey to the incident.
That has got to be it. They need a slam dunk!
__________________
Children don't stop dancing
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Macushla's Avatar
Macushla Macushla is offline
Our Royal Himalayan Gopher Hounds
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orlando, FL area
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seranade View Post
Yes it does, doesn't it?

As has been stated before, people have been tried successfully for murder without a body. IF they have incontrovertible forensic proof that Caylee was dead in the trunk they could try her, no ifs ands or buts.
Respectuflly, Seranade, Neither LE or the DA or the States Attorney has said they are NOT going to try Casey. They just have not arrested her YET on any type of homicide charge. I did not read Sheriff Beary's statement as saying they won't charge her, he is saying its a long, difficult road.

Of course we all have our opinions and we won't know who is right or wrong until the case comes up for trial. Even then, whether Casey is convicted or not, there will always be differences of opinion on this case. It's going to be an interesting ride, one way or another!
__________________
Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
Euripides
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Meagain's Avatar
Meagain Meagain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,292
It still bothers me if these quotes are true. I contend they wouldn't lie, only withhold.
And the fact there is zero information on any searches going on right now..... These are not hopeful things.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
sunsetbeach's Avatar
sunsetbeach sunsetbeach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed1 View Post
I realize LE was impeded by KC not reporting Caylee missing for a month, but in my opinion, they have botched this right from the beginning. Why was CA allowed to wash the pants? Why did JB get the receipts and decide which ones to give them? Why was LA allowed to retrieve her stuff from TonE? Why in the he** wasn't the car taken into custody ASAP & not allowed to sit in their garage reeking of a dead human being? Why was she allowed bond when she cannot produce where her 2 year old (3 year old now!) child is located dead or alive? Travesty of justice and I am convinced she will not be prosecuted for Caylee's death. The whole family should burn in hell as far as I am concerned. I just can't waste any more time on this case since justice will never come. Now I understand why Greta stopped reporting on it. Waste, a HUGE waste!!!
Agree with everything you said.
I heard Cindy say in the police video that they (Anthony's) offered all this stuff up and the police did not take it. HUGE mistake.
I feel as though Caylee will never get justice and her grandparents are a part of that problem. If KC can kill her child she can kill her parents and they should think about that.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
OneLostGrl's Avatar
OneLostGrl OneLostGrl is offline
I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
Just last year in Bradenton, Maribel Chavez was tried for neglect of her child and then later tried for her liability in the death of that child. But the two incidents were not related. The first incident was more abuse than neglect--burns, fracture, bruising. The death occurred when a stove fell atop the child who suffocated for an hour while the drugged mother overslept.
~snip~
OMG how horrible
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 PM
PhoneBoothBandit PhoneBoothBandit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 291
IMO what they currently have is insubstantial to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

No eye witnesses. No body. No confession.

That is heavily in the defenses favor.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
gibby207's Avatar
gibby207 gibby207 is offline
Pooh just is.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Disarray
Posts: 6,866
Straight outta Yuri's mouth: Patience....
__________________
"Until you do right by me, everything you think about is gonna crumble... until you do right by me, everything you think about is gonna fail."
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
OneLostGrl's Avatar
OneLostGrl OneLostGrl is offline
I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas W View Post
I just want to say again what a privilege, and a thrill, it is to be among such intelligent, logical, thoughtful people who also treat each other with courtesy. I very rarely feel any desire to participate in forums, but I've never seen a site like this one.
They are a wonderful group of people aren't they?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Bree0372's Avatar
Bree0372 Bree0372 is offline
Prayers for Tripp ~ Team Boom
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rainy PNW..sigh...I'd rather be home in FL.
Posts: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicalconfusion View Post
But Florida has a loophole:

LOOPHOLE COULD ALLOW CASEY TO BEAT SYSTEM

A loophole could allow Caylee Anthony's mother to beat the system. She's still only facing charges of child neglect and giving false statements.

If her attorney asks for a speedy trial, they could be the only charges she ever faces. Florida law prohibits a person from being tried on more serious charges at a later date if the person stands trial for something that's related.

"If you lose a kid and that results in a child's death, that's one and the same case, because those are manslaughter charges," said board-certified trial attorney Richard Hornsby.

If Casey was found guilty of child neglect, she would only serve up to five years in prison versus a maximum of life for murder. Still, detectives have never said that Caylee Anthony is dead or that Casey is under investigation for murder or manslaughter.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17193405/detail.html

My understanding is they would have to drop the neglect charges and then charge her for murder.
I have a friend that is a Defense Attorney for the State of Florida. I just emailed her to ask her best legal opinion. Hopefully she will say that the neglect charges will not hinder a murder charge.
__________________
This post is my opinion only unless supported with a link.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
TisHerself TisHerself is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed1 View Post
Why in the he** wasn't the car taken into custody ASAP & not allowed to sit in their garage reeking of a dead human being?
That has bothered me also, just why wasn't that car impounded it is EVIDENCE and a key piece at that. It boggles my mind that it was left in garage.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 PM
maskedwoman's Avatar
maskedwoman maskedwoman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyn2 View Post
<snip>I wouldn't take this to heart too much. I wish someone would interview LE on this and find out the real scoop but I don't think LE wants us to know anything yet.
Maybe if we promise to keep it a secret!
__________________
We will never forget the missing.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM
TisHerself TisHerself is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friptzap View Post
I revel in the fact that she will never forget the smell of her dead childs corpse. Sad that it is and horrible as it is, I hope it haunts her for the rest of her life.
It will not haunt her, she does not care, she is ready to get on with her life. Just as soon as this annoying thing with the police is over.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Lovejac's Avatar
Lovejac Lovejac is offline
These boys are my heartstrings!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Disbelief. SC
Posts: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Panther View Post
Well...Is this the first time the OSC has publicly referred to the case as a "homicide case"??? If so, that's quite a relevant statement!

Good catch pink panther! IMO, this statement is a very clever move, I hope JB and casey get caught with their guard down.

If what has been released due to the freedom of information is any indication, they have a wealth of evidence against her even without precious Caylee's body. I have all of the confidence in the world in LE. Time is on THEIR side.
__________________
Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Macushla's Avatar
Macushla Macushla is offline
Our Royal Himalayan Gopher Hounds
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Orlando, FL area
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TisHerself View Post
It will not haunt her, she does not care, she is ready to get on with her life. Just as soon as this annoying thing with the police is over.
BRAVO!!! That sums up Casey to a Tee!!!

Everyone who has been a victim of her lies, theft, etc., everyone who spent even 1 hour searchng for Caylee, everyone who has donated money to either the Anthonys or TES, everyone here on WS and the millions of people in the US who are angry and frustrated over this whole thing - We are the ones who will be haunted by this case for a long, long time.

Casey, nah, she will be too busy making all sorts of new 'friends' in prison
__________________
Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
Euripides
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
maskedwoman's Avatar
maskedwoman maskedwoman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Murfreesboro TN
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TisHerself View Post
That has bothered me also, just why wasn't that car impounded it is EVIDENCE and a key piece at that. It boggles my mind that it was left in garage.
We buzzed around this earlier but I believe they took immediate possession of the car. I think it was just the paperwork George signed that wasn't done until the next day.
__________________
We will never forget the missing.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Crafter's Avatar
Crafter Crafter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pennypacker View Post
yep.....what a waste, a huge waste!!
I do agree with you...things were definitely botched. I was very surprised to learn in CA's interview that she has not turned over her credit card statements. Why were the police just waiting for those? If they hadn't gotten them in a certain amount of time why didn't they get a court order for them? Why did they let the car sit there when even the police could smell something was wrong with that car? And in LA's interview he told police that his mom emptied CA's purse and took stuff out of it; they acted like they didn't even know that happened. But I will say this: CA did have a month's headstart in her lies, etc and I think LE is trying to fit all her lies together on their huge calendar. No doubt, this has been one challenging case for them to unravel. And I do not believe CA will serve any time other than what she's spent in jail in the past for her check fraud/forgery case. I believe, unless they find baby CA's body, CA will never be charged. JMO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calls for Service Summary--OCSO carmenmiranda1 Caylee Anthony 2 years old 83 08-17-2011 12:30 PM
OCSO Caylee Updates Site liltigress Caylee Anthony 2 years old 53 10-17-2008 11:14 PM
OCSO does have the garbage bag from the car jazzelwood Caylee Anthony 2 years old 9 09-26-2008 12:58 PM
Identified! TX - Remains found in Horizon City, Jan 2008 - Alondra Rodriguez, 21 Ms Suzanne Identified! 5 01-26-2008 08:27 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!