Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
It's never to late to be who you could have been

Kindergartner suspended b/c of mohawk

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23369157/

This is ridiculous. My son's have mohawks as do a lot of kids now. If it isn't in the handbook, he shouldn't be suspended for it.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Personally, I think it's silly as hell to care too much how a kindergardener styles his hair.

That said, this is a charter school with uniform and grooming rules. My sons also attend a charter school with a uniform and grooming rules. From the article, it sounds like these parents were warned three times that the child's hair was not in line with the school's standards.

They chose to ignore these warnings, disrespect the school's policies and do whatever they wanted - essentially, they set their child up to be expelled and I find that unacceptable. I don't respect the parents's choices here and I think they were in the wrong.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM

IMHO schools should not be able to tell a parent how to style their childs hair. I don't see how a mohawk would break a grooming rule. It might have been distracting the first day or so but the children would have gotten used to seeing it and it would no longer be a big deal.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Former Member

Personally I think its appalling. The mohawk not the suspension.
Why ? Why do people have to style childrens hair that is not a childs hairstyle but an adults and one associated with violence ?

I'm sorry if this is what you choose to do to your childs hair, but I do happen to find it offensive

Quoted from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_hairstyle

Quote:
Also, the mohawk is well-known for its use in Trojan armor, symbolizing power and the heart of a warrior. Today mohawks have evolved from a symbol of a warrior to a phrase commonly use in the punk subculture anarchy, meaning without government. "Anarchy" mohawks can often differ from a trojan mohawk due to its length and somewhat spikey appearance, whereas a trojan mohawk is 2-3 inches and less spikey.
Bold is mine, and that is why he was suspended no doubt, because that IS What mohawks represent. Why would a school want a child there that is flouting what a mohawk stands for.

Its not fashionable and looking at that child in the link, he looks awful. A 6 year old boy should look like a Little Boy, there is plenty of time for him to be a man later..

problem with society today is the making of our children to grow up well beyond their time

JMO
Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 PM

Oh Jane

I hope you show this much agnst for issues like adequate school supplies, nutritious lunches/snacks, child to teacher ratio, and decent salaries.

I guess I rather pick my battles.

Peace,
Funny Face

Last edited by Funny Face; 11-10-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Sp...what else
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 AM

I don't care how my students look, although I do draw the line at the "Insane Clown Posse" makeup in class. It's distracting for ME. Save it for the weekends.

The parents in this situation were warned, and they really did set their kid up for expulsion. I feel bad for the kid. However, I have a cousin who allowed her DAUGHTER to get a mohawk and the school couldn't have cared less. She did look really weird though. (She was 6.)

Last edited by Pandora; 11-11-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Extra letter. :)
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Like I said earlier, two of my boys have mohawks. Naje (who is 9) decided he wanted a mohawk because he wanted to stand out in a school full of cookie cutter kids. JJ just wanted to be like his big brother. At first it was really tall and he used gel to spike it up but he has since cut it a little shorter and wears it curly. I caught a lot of heck for letting him do it from strangers and people that don't know him, but you know what? He is a great kid with an exceptional mind and having his hair like that does not change that. I see nothing wrong with letting him express himself.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

It is not like this mother did not have fair warning. What did she think the school was doing to do, after two warning, they issue a third and suspended the child.

Any responsible parents is going to heed the warning, not once but twice.

She left the school no choice, the haircut in their opinion affects the learning environment. It affects other kids in the opinion of the school.

But the Mom then does nothing. Please.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

FWIW, if a parent chooses to have their child in a parochial or charter school they agree to not have the same free choices a child might have with a dress code in a public school. Dress code includes peircings, hair styles and clothing. My KG'r asked for a mohawk several times and the answer was a no. His school has specific rules about that, and while he has a flat top style cut which he can spike up, there are still rules... I may not agree with them, but I agree to abide by them when I chose this school.

I see the parents of this boy decided they would send him to another school. Their choice.

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing
Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Dogs are awesome!

I also think it's ridiculous to worry about hairstyles when there are more pressing problems with all of our schools. However, three warnings is plenty for the mom so she really doesn't have much reason to scream at the school about the expulsion.

Also while private schools have dress codes and rules, I would point out that public schools do as well. The high school I went to would kick a guy out for having hair below his collar. It's stupid but that was the rule.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 PM

I think suspending the child for his hair style is really stupid. Geez, at the school I work at, we deal with abused, homeless, and foster kids. A lot of the kids come from families where things are just so wrong. These poor kids don't want to go home because they are safer at school than at home. It's hard to understand why someone would get so fired up about a hair style when so many worse things are going on.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneInOz View Post
Why ? Why do people have to style childrens hair that is not a childs hairstyle but an adults and one associated with violence ?

I'm sorry if this is what you choose to do to your childs hair, but I do happen to find it offensive

Bold is mine, and that is why he was suspended no doubt, because that IS What mohawks represent. Why would a school want a child there that is flouting what a mohawk stands for.

Its not fashionable and looking at that child in the link, he looks awful. A 6 year old boy should look like a Little Boy, there is plenty of time for him to be a man later..

problem with society today is the making of our children to grow up well beyond their time

JMO

Where do you get the info aside from wikipedia? That's ridiculous. Only those who have a mohawk that are violent to begin with are violent. Not the hairstyle. It's based on a Native American tribe to begin with. You shouldn't only associate it with some troublesome punks.
Are you racist?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 PM

I understand that this a charter school that can impose their own standards. There's plenty of misunderstanding going around that could have changed the out come.
1. no rule book standard about hair cut.
2. 3 reminders to parents about haircut. Where they same person(s) who interpreted (their self imposed standards) or sought to hold the school to higher standands?
3. It could have been fruitful if the parents requested a meeting with the school board to determine where the conflict was. Maybe with dicussion some modifications by both sides could have lead to less grief and discontentment.
Life is lived in shades of grey.

Peace,
Funny Face

Last edited by Funny Face; 11-11-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
IMHO schools should not be able to tell a parent how to style their childs hair. I don't see how a mohawk would break a grooming rule. It might have been distracting the first day or so but the children would have gotten used to seeing it and it would no longer be a big deal.
I agree with you, but charter schools and private schools do this all the time - they impose dress and grooming standards on our children. We either let them impose these standards or we don't send our children there.

It is irresponsible to send our children to a school and then repeatedly cause our child to break that school's rules.

FWIW - I love a mohawk and I think hairstyles should be the least of our worries in elementary school. However, the school was clear with the parents about what the school expected. The parents were wrong to cause their son to get expelled in kindergarden just to make a point.

One of my dearest friends has two sons with mohawks and guess what - she homeschools!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:

JMO
Thanks for the link. That was interesting reading. The little guys in the photo is alot different from the mohawks that were brought to mind.
I remember kids in my h.s. class being suspended for wearing the infamous Beatle haircuts of the 60's.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
Where do you get the info aside from wikipedia? That's ridiculous. Only those who have a mohawk that are violent to begin with are violent. Not the hairstyle. It's based on a Native American tribe to begin with. You shouldn't only associate it with some troublesome punks.
Are you racist?
Wow

How Rude.

Considering I have been off congratulating Barack all over the place I hardly think one could call me a Racist...do you?

And yes I know its based on a Native American Tribe, and that is who should be wearing it , Native Americans in their Tribe.

And you mis represented what i actually said...

I still don't think its appropriate for a 6 year old or 10 0r 13 etc to have ...

When they are a young man and wish to style their hair in any manner then fine..they can colour it pink and put purple spots through it for all I care (although the comedy factor would be high)

But why is this world so intent on making our children grow up so quickly ?

Dressing them not age appropriately , letting them have piercings as children, and ridiculous haircuts...WHY ?

Do we not have enough problems in this world ?

Yes we do, and that is why it is my firm belief that we need to allow our children to be children .................

What is happening in this world is that they are being made to grow up far to quickly, and so turn to things that a MUCH OLDER child would perhaps do and are not age appropriateness ready...

Its just my opinion...but nothing i said was racial...Calling someone A Racist not appropriate, when they have in no way said anything that could be taken as a racial slur
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Barack the Vote!

Location: So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
Quote:

JMO
This information is one sourced. If you further research you will see that as native american's used this style as a sign of being proud and honorable. Yes, people have since taken this style to the extreme, but seriously my 6 year old is not a punk rocker. He likes the style and got it more from seeing Angelina Jolies kids and not punks. I do not find the cut offensive, but you on the other hand...

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

I do find it offensive that the parents, knowing full well the outcome of "their decision" in regards to the haircut, that they would 'use" this situation for the publicity.

Come on, we are talking about a little boy. A boy who now has been humiliated, singled out as "that boy" and the parents using their child to make a statement.

I for one find it again offensive to call anyone "racist". The hair cut "may" have been used in the past by American Natives. Fine. But "the current" everyday association has been of youths(yes teenagers)who sport the "look" to stand out.

The haircut, has and will be associated with punk culture.

BTW, a symbol of a particular group of people in Germany was only associated with that group. The symbol is banned. But it is an ancient symbol, but if you see the symbol, you associate it with a horrible man who ordered millions of people killed based on religion.

You see it was an innocent symbol, until it was used by a particular man in Germany. It will forever be associated with the historical events that lead to the murder of 6 million people.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM

I think it's hideous...if a teeen needs to express himself (hahahahaha) sure, but a 6 year old. Why not let him look cute for a while instead of chopping his hair off like that so he looks unkept...

MO
Old 11-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

I don't think the child woke up one day and decided he wanted a mohawk haircut.

When our kids were young, the PARENTS(us) decided what type of haircut the child received.

Our oldest decided "he wanted" ALL of his hair cut off. Did we say..sure why not. No, we are parents. We told him that it would not be appropriate after all he was only 7.

The kid is not the problem here, the school is not the problem here, the rules are not the problem here. The parents are the problem here. They should not sacrifice their child's education to make a statement. Nor should they use the child to make a statement
Old 11-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Barack the Vote!

Location: So Cal Redlands, CA to be exact. We call it Inland Empire!
OK so my question here is this;
What hairstyle do you approve of? Is an afro not allowed? How about shaved because hey someone might think you are a white supremacist? Or can boys not wear long hair because it’s too girly? Alot of you are one way. You don’t' approve of one particular style of hair. I also don't know how your young children are, but my 6 year old chooses his own clothes, toys, and hair. My 6 year old loves to express himself in drawings and style. A lot of kids have their hair spiked or mohawked...it’s called a trend. Maybe some of you older people forget the trends that went on in your day and what people used to say about you.

I agree, if this mom was given notices on her child’s hair, she should've done something then. I would never allow something so trivial to come between my son's education.

As for the ancient symbol used in Germany by the Nazis was first used in Egypt as a symbol of protection. This monstrous man did kill millions. What did the punks do besides rebel authority and scare you guys with their crazy 80's hair?

Mother is the name for God on the hearts and lips of all children.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 PM

I should probably let this one lie, but, I want to comment on it.

It really reminds me of growing up when all the kids had rat tails. It use to drive my Mother crazy, because she was a computer teacher and thus looked at the backs of children's heads all day.

Maybe I grew up too conservative, but I don't see a six year old needing a mohawk. Well, let me put it to you this way, it probably wouldn't happen here in eastern North Carolina. They are more upset that they can't wear a John Deer hat all the time.

I do see in this story it being a problem on the parents part.

Also, I love Charter schools, they were a big help to my younger sister. My sister who use to express herself through her socks, because that was her only style "option" in charter school.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelmajane View Post
I should probably let this one lie, but, I want to comment on it.

It really reminds me of growing up when all the kids had rat tails. It use to drive my Mother crazy, because she was a computer teacher and thus looked at the backs of children's heads all day.

Maybe I grew up too conservative, but I don't see a six year old needing a mohawk. Well, let me put it to you this way, it probably wouldn't happen here in eastern North Carolina. They are more upset that they can't wear a John Deer hat all the time.

I do see in this story it being a problem on the parents part.

Also, I love Charter schools, they were a big help to my younger sister. My sister who use to express herself through her socks, because that was her only style "option" in charter school.
I am in Eastern NC . I would say that there are about 20-30 boys and 1 girl with mohawks at their school. Pretty popular here.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:15 PM

My apologies.

It is obvious I haven't been hanging out with the six year old crowd lately.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
The love stays...forever in our hearts

This is exactly the issue with schools and parents these days. Instead of working together it is a constant struggle and everyone gets so defensive. Not to say that it is always the parents' fault or always the teachers' fault; yes there are are dumb rules and yes there are kids who are troublemakers, but this is not one of those cases.

These parents had been asked earlier this fall not to have the child's hair cut in a mohawk. We are not talking about a teen who can drive himself or even a preteen who was dropped off at the mall and got a haircut without permission, but a kindergartener! And while it may not specifically say "mohawk" in the student handbook, it does mention being well-groomed, which is a polite way of saying what our handbook puts bluntly: "No extreme hairstyles allowed. The administration will be the final authority on appropriate grooming." After three warnings, I think the school was well within their rights to decide that this family did not fit in to the community the school was trying to create. If this is how they act in November of kindergarten, can you imagine what they'll be like by spring of the year he graduates?

And that's why people apply to charter schools and private schools. If you don't want that type of environment, then don't apply! But my kids are in one specifically so I am not dealing with weapons and drugs and parents who don't give a crap and terrible behavior and appalling home situations. My kids are there for that exact reason - for the "dumb" rules that mean that an infraction is someone's cell phone ringing in a locker or not having a belt on or standing up before the teacher dismisses you. It is annoying when your kid is in detention, but these are nice looking, polite, respectful, well-behaved kids who will (for the most part) go to good high schools and colleges and surround themselves with other good people and, hopefully, lead good lives.

Manners are contagious, and teaching them is not a bad thing. Respect breeds respect, and all these disrespectful parents are teaching their little snowflake is that he is so special and perfect that the rules don't apply to him. People like that are the reason I'm actually happier in private school, where the administration is very quick to disabuse parents of the very notion.

There are no guarantees in life. I can't promise that making kids act repsectful and staying on top of them will turn them into decent people, or that allowing them to run wild and unsupervised will lead them into trouble, but it sure does improve your odds.