Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Cold Cases

Notices

Cold Cases Discuss all cold cases here and sleuth out some new information!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:51 PM

MO - Jo Ellen Weigel murder, Lee’s Summit, July 1970 - Michael Cline fugitive

Cold case about teen love gone bad haunts detective

The following account is based on court documents and newly released details in the 1970 murder case, State of Missouri v. Michael Cline:
On July 5, 1970, a water skier dropped into the water of Lake Winnebago. When he surfaced, a girl’s body floated up with him.
It was wrapped in netting and weighted with a concrete block and two large jugs of lake water.
The victim was Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, a pretty, smart, recent graduate of Lee’s Summit High School.
An autopsy revealed that she was four months pregnant. Jo Ellen had told her best friend and had said that she and her boyfriend, Mike Cline, would soon be married.
She showed the friend a wedding ring. Cline didn’t want a ring for himself, she added.
The two had dated about two years, and both were members of the National Honor Society.
Before leaving on a date July 2, 1970, the couple stood outside the Weigel home in Lee’s Summit and argued for about 20 minutes. Jo Ellen was to spend the night at a friend’s house.
When she did not return the next day, her parents attempted to contact Cline. He did not return their call until 11 p.m.
He told them that he and Jo Ellen had gotten married and that he had put her on a bus to Columbia, where a Weigel family member lived. The parents drove to Columbia, and the family member told them she had not heard from Jo Ellen.

Snipped
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/881880.html

This family deserves closure and Justice. Please look and see if you recognize this man.

Last edited by Cubby; 01-12-2011 at 09:46 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rccook555 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Im just living among all the madness

hmm thats strange I wonder if hubby was ruled out for sure.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 AM
up at 30,000 feet

No, he's on the run. Never ruled him out.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Bumping case up
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Esse Quam Videri

As arrogant as the newspaper article makes Mike Cline sound... I decided to do a search online and see what I could find. Arrogant people think they can get by with anything. Armed with what we know from Detective Mike Klinefelter I found this man.

1. Michael L Cline - Veterinarian/California (Mike Clines father was also a Veterinarian)
2. This veterinarian wife's name is Ellen (Mike Clines murder victim was name Jo Ellen)
3. This Michael L Cline/Veterinarian/California is connected to a trust fund called The Cline Family Trust (Detectives believe Mike Clines family may have helped him get away)

It seems like a lot of coincidences.. but one never knows just how arrogant a person can really be.

I sent the information to Detective Mike Klinefelter at the Cass County Sheriff’s Dept... just something to look into.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yaya For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 AM

I don't think I can ever waterski again without worrying about what might come up with me..

I seen & done some wild stuff on ski's but I never even heard of something like that..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wv171 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Yaya - the California veterinarian was born in 1954 - a two-year age discrepancy from the fugitive.

Do we know the fugitive's middle name/initial?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Location: Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
What fugitive would be dumb enough to live under his own name in his own country?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarlK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

I agree - doesn't seem like he'd use his same name. HOWEVER, the pictures are very similar:

1 - Mike Cline (the boyfriend/fugitive)
2 & 3 - Mike Cline (the vet in CA, as young man and currently)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mike Cline.jpg (12.3 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg dr_-cline-as-child.jpg (8.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg drCline.jpg (11.9 KB, 236 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Inactive

Not so much dumb, but brazen. Probably feels he can't be caught. The same type of guy that would flip off investigators while waterskiiing days after the body was found.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Inactive

He does look almost identical...Did LE take any interest when you forwarded it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlehorn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Yaya - the California veterinarian was born in 1954 - a two-year age discrepancy from the fugitive.

Do we know the fugitive's middle name/initial?
BUT - the info on the vet's website says that he started working there in his early 20s. If he "turned back" his birthyear by a couple of years, and the other Mike Cline (boyfriend) was 18 when he ran off, then that age/birthdate work out well. Just seem to be too many coincidences, including the EXACT hairstyle, color, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM

I was wondering if there was a family connection b/t the Clines and the vet clinic that this other Mike Cline is at. It says that Mike Cline began working there for a previous owner, Dr. Walker. I found a Donald Cline who graduated from Kansas State Vet School (http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/alumni/.../class1953.htm) in 1953. However, I can't find a "Walker" within several years either way of this Donald Cline. Anyone else think there might be a link there...?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
BUT - the info on the vet's website says that he started working there in his early 20s. If he "turned back" his birthyear by a couple of years, and the other Mike Cline (boyfriend) was 18 when he ran off, then that age/birthdate work out well. Just seem to be too many coincidences, including the EXACT hairstyle, color, etc.
I wouldn't use it as a rule out by any means but the age discrepancy would work the other way, i.e., California Mike is 2 years younger than Missouri Mike. That might be useful for two reasons: fewer years to explain away gaps in his resume and obviously a new DOB for official purposes.

Of course, the likelihood is overwhelming that this is just an interesting coincidence and absolutely no more than that.

Yaya - I don't attach any significance to the spouse's name but Zabasearch leads me to believe that California Mike's spouse is not named Ellen. Also, given the veterinarian's background and history (i.e., starting out cleaning kennels when he was already at or past college age) I would be surprised to find that he had access to a family trust! What led you to that information?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belimom View Post
I agree - doesn't seem like he'd use his same name. HOWEVER, the pictures are very similar:

1 - Mike Cline (the boyfriend/fugitive)
2 & 3 - Mike Cline (the vet in CA, as young man and currently)
You all are doing such wonderful work!!! You have given me alot of things to check into now.
This case has kept me frustrated running into dead ends.
This arrogance of this man is unbelievable.
I have to say the picture of the Vet is strikingly similar. The ears are what stood out the most to me. The shape and size are the same and they have a unique lobe to them.
YaYa, have you heard anything back from Mike Klinefelter?
I really hope you are on to something here!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Esse Quam Videri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccook555 View Post
YaYa, have you heard anything back from Mike Klinefelter?
I really hope you are on to something here!
I never heard anything from Mike Klinefelter. But then again I didn't really expect to.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 AM

Is anybody still following up on this with LE? I really think we may be onto something...

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM

Michael Lewis Cline

Because of the title of this thread I never saw it until today. Can the title of the thread be changed? I have the original articles and more from when this crime was front page news.

Michael Cline’s middle name was Lewis. His father was the Donald Cline referenced in an earlier/old post who graduated from KSU. Donald and Michael’s mother Chris are both deceased now. His two sisters married and moved away but at last check his brother still lives in the original family home on the lake which is in a gated community.

Jo Ellen Weigel’s parents are both deceased but her older sister and family are still in the area. The Weigel family has refused all interviews since the first anniversary of Jo Ellen’s death. I have never understood that.

Michael Cline’s attorney was Alex Peebles. Mr. Peebles passed away around 2002 or so. During his legal career Mr. Peebles represented clients such as mobster Anthony Civella, and 3 time murderess Sharon Kenny. One of Mr. Peebles’ sons still practices law. In interviews that he gave later in life Mr. Peebles would talk some about Sharon Kenny because it is commonly believed that she is dead, but he would never speak much on Michael Cline, claiming that if Cline is still alive then he would still be protected by attorney – client privilege. I had always hoped that Mr. Peebles might have written his memoirs to be published after his death, but apparently he took his secrets with him. It has been speculated by LE that when the Grand Jury handed down their true bill that Peebles called the Cline residence and told Michael that they were coming to arrest him, and so Michael fled.

I have often wondered if Donald Cline had called any attorney other than Alex Peebles to represent his son if this case might have turned out differently.
“Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion and bamboozle requires intelligence, vigilance, dedication and courage. But if we don’t practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly serious problems that face us – and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who comes along.” – Carl Sagan, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hurricane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 11:37 AM

California Michael Cline

When Donald Cline passed in 1988, among other siblings he had a brother John living in Sebastopol, CA. and a sister Lois Kinder (no name of spouse given) living in Red Bluff, CA. Red Bluff is just 18 miles south of Anderson on I-5 in northern CA. Sebastopol is in southern CA.
Can any connection be made between the CA Michael Cline and Lois Kinder?
“Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion and bamboozle requires intelligence, vigilance, dedication and courage. But if we don’t practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly serious problems that face us – and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who comes along.” – Carl Sagan, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hurricane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
Because of the title of this thread I never saw it until today. Can the title of the thread be changed? I have the original articles and more from when this crime was front page news.

Michael Cline’s middle name was Lewis. His father was the Donald Cline referenced in an earlier/old post who graduated from KSU.
Quote:
Donald and Michael’s mother Chris are both deceased now.
His two sisters married and moved away but at last check his brother still lives in the original family home on the lake which is in a gated community.

Jo Ellen Weigel’s parents are both deceased but her older sister and family are still in the area. The Weigel family has refused all interviews since the first anniversary of Jo Ellen’s death. I have never understood that.

Michael Cline’s attorney was Alex Peebles. Mr. Peebles passed away around 2002 or so. During his legal career Mr. Peebles represented clients such as mobster Anthony Civella, and 3 time murderess Sharon Kenny. One of Mr. Peebles’ sons still practices law. In interviews that he gave later in life Mr. Peebles would talk some about Sharon Kenny because it is commonly believed that she is dead, but he would never speak much on Michael Cline, claiming that if Cline is still alive then he would still be protected by attorney – client privilege. I had always hoped that Mr. Peebles might have written his memoirs to be published after his death, but apparently he took his secrets with him. It has been speculated by LE that when the Grand Jury handed down their true bill that Peebles called the Cline residence and told Michael that they were coming to arrest him, and so Michael fled.

I have often wondered if Donald Cline had called any attorney other than Alex Peebles to represent his son if this case might have turned out differently.
Correction: Donald Cline is deceased. Chris is alive.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Lakekid

Hurricane,

Interesting info. I too am from the area and just saw this post the other day. You seem to know a lot about this case, the family history, etc. Would love to talk to you about this case, as I am from this class, went to school with both victim and Mike, and was at the lake a lot during that time. Would like to compare notes, <mod snip>. Any suggestion?

Last edited by Cubby; 01-12-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: inviting- TOS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jkhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 AM
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed

I have read over this thread with fascination-thank you for reviving it Hurricane!

Jkhawk, welcome to WS-you might want to take your email addy out of this post because you will invariably get spammed...

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM

It's Not Him!

CA Michael Cline is not fugitive Michael Cline. It has been verified thru school records.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
CA Michael Cline is not fugitive Michael Cline. It has been verified thru school records.
link please.....
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkin View Post
link please.....
No link. In the early 1970's the FBI was looking for fugitive Michael Cline thru college entrance applications. They believed that he was attending college somewhere but he would have had to apply for college using a GED instead of his high school transcript. That info comes from the FBI's file thru FOIA.

CA Michael Cline's school records are all in order. Except for when he attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison his entire life has been spent in CA. His college entrance and post graduate education are all supported by his high school transcript. That info comes from the University of Wisconsin and the MHP.