What Are the Sunshine State Laws and Should they be Amended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleutherontheside

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
After this case has become a nationwide if not worldwide obsession, do you believe that the state of Florida should consider ammending their very liberal Sunshine State Laws??

I personally don't. I can't say that I like the coverage on George...but I think it's just part of living in an open society. I do think the press should be held accountable for everything they do. Nancy Grace herself has stepped on the line before.

Yes, but then again I also believe that the Patriot Act also needs to be overhauled/eradicated.

No way Jose Oops!!
As you can see from my siggy I am very involved in the Weleetka, OK case and it has been like pulling teeth in that case just to get a time line or any info... and the case is getting colder as every day goes by. The doc dumps are pricless in the Anthony case...The media can be rude we know that.

No. I also think Courts should remain open to the public and they are and for good reason.

NO!

Unfortunately for G & CA they sought out the media, even after their daughter was indicted for murder. They made as many media appearances as they could in an effort to deny Casey's obvious (imo) involvement.

Not to plead for caylee's RETURN.

We haven't seen anything like this entire case (or the dysfunctional family dynamics) so publicly before and therefore info has become "bombshell" news upon the release of any LE documents.

Truth and some semblence of a moral compass has been non-existent within their twisted and absurd attempts to deny any wrong doing by their "princess" Casey (Lyin') Anthony.

It's an insult to our intelligence.

Now we should change the law just because of this case?

No way.

But, nice try!

:)

Yes, but then again I also believe that the Patriot Act also needs to be overhauled/eradicated.

I think the Sunshine Law is fine and I have truly appreciated being able to see how professional and detailed LE has handled their portion. The Patriot Act I find to be in violation of the constitution and would love to see it burned.

After this case has become a nationwide if not worldwide obsession, do you believe that the state of Florida should consider ammending their very liberal Sunshine State Laws??

Nope. I like coming to my own conclusions - I like to read it for myself.

i dont think it should be changed except that it shouldnt have allowed reporters to webcam the anthonys

Great question. One I've been pondering since reading CA's mom's emails. Very strange getting SO MUCH INFO before there is even a trial. Look at all the "players" in this case who have posted here. Yuri, TM, the Grunds, searchers, friends.... the list goes on. I have never seen anything like this... then again, I haven't followed such a huge case in the state of FLA either. It was nothing like this during Laci's case (my hometown.) Can you imagine if we had this kind of SSLaw in CA during the OJ case? I can't even wrap my head around it.

Being a true crime junkie and a regular WSer I like all the doc dumps, but I also kept telling my DH that I can't believe all this is coming out BEFORE the trial. This is just obscene.

I am going to hold off on my opinion about ammending the law until after the trial. I just need to see how this all pans out.

Great question though!!

You all are forgetting that the vast majority of the material released in this case has been in discovery documents, which would be available to the public anyway. No one has to file a FOIA request to get access to court records.

The "State in the Sunshine Law" has it's place. It is needed for transparency in government proceedings ... I think what you will hear about, after this case, is the interpretation of the Sunshine Laws. I can see a high court ruling to refine and narrow its scope ... eventually.

You all are forgetting that the vast majority of the material released in this case has been in discovery documents, which would be available to the public anyway. No one has to file a FOIA request to get access to court records.

Discovery documents are not generally released to the public or the media ... It is the loose interpretation of Florida laws which allow it in this case. FOIA is Federal therefore would not apply.... all of the documents have been released due to media requests, citing Florida Sunshine laws.

Absolutely, especially in cases involving criminal or civil matters. The release of all the personal emails, phone records, text messages are an invasion of some innocent bystander's privacy.

I also don't particularly like that in FL, you can go to the clerk of the courts website and pretty much find out if your neighbor has ever gotten a traffic ticket, been evicted, been sued, got married or divorced, etc.

How much did your neighbor or coworker pay for their home? Are they delinquent in paying their taxes? It's easy to find on the tax appraiser's website. What is the home address of someone you may be interested in stalking? Well, if they own a home, it's easy to find out.

I understand the morbid curiosity that people have about these things but I do feel it gives FL residents a particular lack of privacy.

No, I agree that I'd like to read the documentation for myself........I dont play into the media spin or hype on cases. And I think it's best that the public get information that is true and not speculated......therefore my head isnt stuck in the sand. I wish more states were this liberal with documentation.

Now I know why my mother preached at us kids to keep our noses clean! LOL

No. It's one thing I found refreshing when I moved to Florida. This case made me appreciate the laws even more. I wouldn't be likely to participate in this forum at all if these laws didn't exist.

As for the effect media coverage has had on the family, while certainly very unfortunate-- it's largely the result of poor choices made by the Anthonys within this environment. I knew of these laws shortly after arriving in Florida, but even if I didn't fully understand their consequences-- it shouldn't take too long to catch on and listen to advice of attorneys to keep quiet and not draw undue attention to yourself.

NO!

Unfortunately for G & CA they sought out the media, even after their daughter was indicted for murder. They made as many media appearances as they could in an effort to deny Casey's obvious (imo) involvement.

Not to plead for caylee's RETURN.

We haven't seen anything like this entire case (or the dysfunctional family dynamics) so publicly before and therefore info has become "bombshell" news upon the release of any LE documents.

Truth and some semblence of a moral compass has been non-existent within their twisted and absurd attempts to deny any wrong doing by their "princess" Casey (Lyin') Anthony.

It's an insult to our intelligence.

Now we should change the law just because of this case?

No way.

But, nice try!

:)

How right you are!! There are other grieving grandparents who have lost a beautiful grandchild at the hands of their own child - but, we haven't heard about every move they make and why not??? Because....they didn't put themselves out there in the media spewing their "twisted and absurd denials of any wrong doing" by the accused. They grieved, they were appreciative of all assistance rendered to them during their crisis and they kept their mouths shut and their private business private.

I have never seen anything like this circus in my entire life and it gets crazier with each new bombshell development.

Like GetSmart's previous post, I am also very involved in the Weleetka, OK murders of two innocent little girls. The lack of any information is maddening. We can't find out a single tidbit of information in Oklahoma. Oh, how I wish we had a law that requires releasing just a small portion of information that the Sunshine law mandates.

NO, NO, NO - please don't ever even consider doing away with the Sunshine law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong