Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located Forum Discussion

Notices

Located Forum Discussion Discussion for those who were missing and are now located

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:12 AM

police seek any link to Wilberger case

Man attempts kidnapping, police seek any link to Wilberger case

LEBANON — Law enforcement officials are seeking any possible connection between a recent attempted kidnapping and the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger.

A man with a goatee, wearing a sweat shirt bearing the letter “A,” lured a 17-year-old girl into his car Friday in Lebanon — 18 miles from where Wilberger went missing May 24.

The girl in the latest attempted kidnapping managed to escape unscathed, officials said.

A hunt is on for the abductor, who last was seen driving a silver Honda Accord with a gold tint. The news comes after Corvallis discounted a possible connection between a Washington parolee and Wilberger’s disappearance.

Lebanon police Det. Kim Hyde said that police do not know if the abduction last week has any connection to the disappearance of Wilberger, 19, who is thought to have been kidnapped from the parking lot of an apartment in Corvallis.

Lebanon and Corvallis are sharing information about the cases and will pass along any leads, she said.

The Lebanon incident occurred around 1 p.m. Friday, when the suspect driving the Honda Accord passed the girl on the street and shouted at her to get into his car. She complied, thinking he had a weapon, police said.

He drove a few blocks and then received a call on his cell phone, which the victim told police appeared to agitate him. He pulled over and let the girl out. She was not hurt.

Hyde said that eight hours later, a man matching the suspect’s description pulled up to a woman in her late teens or early 20s who was riding a bicycle in approximately the same location. The man was in a Honda that matched the earlier description.

This time, he only talked to the young woman and did not try to get her to enter his car, Hyde said.

— Dan de Carbonel

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=81903

Benefit concert held to thank volunteers

CORVALLIS — Family and friends of Brooke Wilberger gathered Sunday for a benefit concert in Corvallis to thank the thousands of volunteers who helped comb the college town in the search, which began 21 days ago, for the missing college freshman.

And on Saturday, Corvallis police said it doesn’t appear likely that a Washington parolee was involved in Wilberger’s disappearance

Richard Wilson, 39, had interested the Corvallis police because the Walla Walla resident is thought to have been on a crime spree throughout the Northwest after his release from prison in February, including a rape in Biggs Junction, a three-hour drive from Corvallis. Wilson killed himself Wednesday after running into a police roadblock in Utah.

“We have not developed any evidence that suggests Mr. Wilson has been in western Oregon, much less the Corvallis area any time recently,” Corvallis police Lt. Ron Noble said in a statement released Saturday.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:02 PM

Did anyone else notice that this happened 19 days after the 30 year anniversary of ted bundy abducting a corvallis woman? Most likely just coincidence but 30 is an awfully round number...
Old 06-16-2004, 03:32 AM

Bon Soire,

Was in bed watching Greta and Lordie do, a girl has been taken close to where Brooke disappeared from. Had to get up and see if there was any news here. I'll stay and tell you the news so you have it first thing in the morning.

Last week a 17 year old girl in Lebanon was kidnapped and got away. He had a gun, got a cell phone call, got agitated let her go. White male w/ baseball hat, made no demands. Got a good sketch.

Abductions happen very seldom here - Lebanon is 18 miles east of Corvallis. A straight shot between the two. Police think there might be a good possibility the two cases are connected but still looking at the other 4 - 5 persons of interest, some more than others.

That's it. Should be a pic in the paper.

Scandi
Old 06-16-2004, 04:43 AM

Question

Hi, my first post here. I don't know how to do this very well, but I guess I will learn. For starters, I live in Corvallis, Oregon. I have frequently been in the area where Brooke was abducted. In broad daylight, there is not a lot happening near that area. Maybe a few pedestrians and a quiet hotel parking lot, and most apartment complexes seem pretty empty...maybe students are busy at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADFlSH
Did anyone else notice that this happened 19 days after the 30 year anniversary of ted bundy abducting a corvallis woman? Most likely just coincidence but 30 is an awfully round number...
With regard to KIM (person of interest) Ted Bundy did come down from Washington State to Corvallis and killed a woman here... the theory being that he was throwing off the police in Washington. So it certainly wouldn't be unheard of for someone else to do that.

If Richard Wilson drove from Washington State to southern Oregon that does not necessarily mean he stopped in Corvallis. Corvallis is west of I-5 approx. 10 miles, and would not be on the way if he went down I-5. I would think his vehicle is being searched every which way.

Here are just some random observations. I spotted (not at the crime scene but later and south of it) a very suspicious man. He had red hair. There is a similarity but not totally similar to a man with red hair listed on the web for Benton County. I'd have to go double check, but he was either a parole absconder or a registered sex offender. I think the latter but I'm not positive. Anyway with his photo showing red hair, they clearly list him as having blonde hair. I am afraid if I point the error out to someone in authority that they will just blow me off. But right now, he would be eliminated from even being looked at as a redhead, because of the mistake in listing. He might not have anything to do with Brooke W., but it is very doubtful if any detectives would link it up.

I reported some suspicious activity to a State Police Dispatcher and was blown off with an "alrighty..." but they didn't even take my name or number. The police tell the news and the news tells us they are looking for anything out of the ordinary, out of place, odd. I have reported such things, and nothing comes of it. I don't call 911 because my tips are not life threatening emergencies, but when I e-mail or leave a message on the tip line or talk to a disinterested dispatcher on the non-emergency line, I feel discouraged.

Newsperson, do you happen to know if red hair and a beard have entered into the equation? like with any of the persons of interest? I read somewhere that a black boxy car was named as the vehicle on an attempted crime, but now I can't seem to find where I read it. Was it the attemped abduction shorty before Brooke was abducted? I was thinking maybe it was the event in Lebanon, Oregon, but I guess that was the silverish Honda. The suspicious man I saw had a black boxy vehicle and it had some very distinctive writing on it. Do you happen to know if they know about some writing on the vehicle and are holding it out as a way to be sure of reportings?

2 more questions, 1) Did any psychics actually send in tips? I know you said there was some misreporting about the sawmill. But did any psychics mention a rock quarry? (not the Morse Brothers disturbed earth thing) but maybe Green & White Gravel on Payne Road? or any quarry?

2) Do you happen to know if profiles for predatory men would generally include or not include obsessive-compulsive behavior as far as the neatness and order of their person, their home or their vehicle?

Thanks very much.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM
who is Sharon Marshall?

hi Indigofalls - nice to have you here! interesting post - the only thing that i can reply to is that i remember hearing on the local news that the car described in the earlier abduction attempt where the girl got away was, indeed, a "black, boxy" type of car.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemc2
hi Indigofalls - nice to have you here! interesting post - the only thing that i can reply to is that i remember hearing on the local news that the car described in the earlier abduction attempt where the girl got away was, indeed, a "black, boxy" type of car.
Thank-you for response and welcome. I am curious about so many things. I reread every post about this, and yes, the black boxy car was mentioned as belonging to the man who made an attempted abduction a few days before Brooke. I wonder if the woman who got away has given any description at all of the guy?

Also, I wanted to clarify that when I said the area Brooke was abducted from was pretty quiet, I didn't mean on days when they have big games at Reser Stadium which is quite near. I meant that when there is no game, I could spend quite a fair amount of time there just wandering around and hardly see but a few people, not much traffic, and only 1 person asked me what I was doing. I wasn't doing anything illegal, but it may have looked that way to some people. This wasn't just 1 day I am talking about. I was in that neighborhood a number of times before the abduction and what few people were there just didn't seem very curious or suspicious of me or anything else.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:03 PM

Question Brooke Wilberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsperson
The CPD reiterates, any tip can help. Call them.
On my first post yesterday, I only quoted badfish because I wasn't even sure how to do a quote with this group. But I have read every post 2 times now, and I am learning my way around this group. My post was actually to all of you, as I am new and would like to join in the discusssion. And BTW, when I pose a question, it is not just rhetorical. I really am interested in what people think the answer might be. I.e. the sexual predator clearly showing red hair, but listed as a blonde. Should I try to get the record changed, or should I choose my battles more carefully?

One time in Corvallis, I reported to a parole and probation officer that their client was receiving correspondence from a known felon in prison across the state. I broke no laws in finding this letter. I thought they would be happy with the knowledge, they would probably never find out on their own. Instead it seems some of them are protective of their clients and were not interested in hearing anything bad about them, told me it wasn't my job to "dog" them. Instead they tried to put me on the defensive about how did I know, and why did I have the letter and they weren't going to do anything about it unless of course I wanted to return the letter to their client, they would take it from me. Geeesh, talk about enabling people. Oh it turned out later on that the the probation officer's client was not only corresponding with a known felon, but the client ALSO was a known felon, having used a weapon in the commission of a crime. The reason I say all this is I wonder how many times a perfectly good tip comes through that gets ignored.

Last edited by IndigoFalls; 06-16-2004 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2004, 01:29 AM

New Here & Confused again

Hi, I just looked at my profile here and it says I am NOT a member of any public groups. I thought that was what this was, the Crime Sleuthing Community. Could someone give me some examples of what is considered to be a Public Group?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 AM

IndigoFalls, Welcome.

as far as being a member of a group goes, the software we use, allows subgroups, but I don't believe that anyone is part of any. You are a member of the Websleuths group however.

It is interesting for us to get local knowledge. How often do you go into the area? Are you associated with Law enforcement? How close is everyone following the case? Have you been able to help out on any searches?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Smile Hi Doyle -- Brooke Wilberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
IndigoFalls, Welcome.
It is interesting for us to get local knowledge. How often do you go into the area? Are you associated with Law enforcement? How close is everyone following the case? Have you been able to help out on any searches?
Thank-you for the warm welcome. I live in Corvallis, Oregon. The specific area from which Brooke was abducted, I have been in maybe 3 to 5 times not too long before May 24, 2004. I went to that neighborhood once afterward, and television crews and reporters were all over the area.

As far as the city, it covers a large area. Within the city limits there are remote areas. There are parts of Corvallis and of Benton County, that I have observed quite closely for many years. Linn County and Lane County which are nearby, I also know quite a bit about.

People are concerned about Brooke, and the other attempted abductions. Some people have sleuthing as a hobby, some don't. Many people are new to the area, but many remember that Ted Bundy was here killing a college girl 30 years ago. The local newspaper, the Gazette-Times has a little section called Brooke Wilberger - Day 21, Day 22 and so on. There must be some news because they have received over 2,000 tips, but the police are keeping pretty quiet about the names of the persons of interest, and what the tips have been.

I can tell you this. I have never lived in a town where so many flyers were everywhere about an abduction. I have seen them posted as closely apart as every 30 or 40 feet on telephone poles, grocery stores, vehicles, billboards. A person would be hard-pressed not to notice them. Some people are sad; some are angry; some people pray and some are particularly concerned for their children. Some people are jumpy, on edge. I thought I had seen the flyers just about everywhere when I went to pay a bill a few days ago. There was a mailbox, but not for mail. It has payment envelopes and a pen in it to use before you put your payment in a locked slot, drop off. I was amazed that inside this fake mailbox there were about 20 small versions of the flyers about Brooke.

Someone here mentioned that Miranda Gaddis and Ashley Pond (spelling?) didn't get this much attention, but I believe that the first I heard of them was a huge billboard up by Oregon City, Oregon with a $50,000 (not positive of amount) reward. So maybe not as much attention, but certainly some.

No, I am not associated with law enforcement at this time. I have not helped in any physical searches. I have submitted a number of tips, and I have been diligent about watching for things that seem out of the ordinary or odd. I look, observe, notice.

I know a number of the Corvallis Police Officers, the Sheriff, the Mayor and some of the City Planning people, and all of the County Commissioners, some only casually and some on a first name basis. I have been to Central Park (where they had the thank-you concert) many many times... the beautiful Benton County Courthouse as well. When a certain highway or park or area is mentioned, chances are good that I have been there often.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:45 PM

Here is some breaking news on the Brooke Wilberger case. You can click on the link before to get the full story and to see a video on the story.

June 17, 2004

Tigard Park Becomes Focus Of Wilberger Case

TIGARD, ORE. - The search for a missing Brigham Young University student who disappeared last month from a Corvallis apartment complex expanded to Washington County on Wednesday.
Investigators searched the Summerlake Park area of Tigard, but found no sign of the missing 19-year-old.

They would not say why they were searching that area, although the park is about a half-mile from the home of a man who was named as a person of interest in the case, Sung Koo Kim.

He remains of significant interest in the case according to authorities, along with a few other people.

Sung Koo Kim also faces charges of stealing women's underwear from an Oregon State University dorm room and is also a suspect in burglaries and thefts at George Fox University in Newberg.

Police found more than 1,000 pairs of underwear in his house, some of which had labels attached identifying the college, dorm and woman from whom they had allegedly been stolen.

Although named as a person of interest in the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger, Kim's lawyer says there is evidence that places the man away from Corvallis on the day that she vanished.

Police say they cannot verify Kim's alibi, but they also have no firm evidence linking him to Brooke's disappearance.

http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=68350
Old 06-17-2004, 05:50 PM

Brooke Wilberger Search at Park in Tigard, Oregon

Anngelique, thank-you for keeping us up to date. I appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoFalls
Anngelique, thank-you for keeping us up to date. I appreciate it.
YW Indigo and welcome by the way. I am normally always in a hurry as I run a Daycare. However, I am a news hound and I search the website for Katu and the Statesman Journal several times a day. When ever I see something new I will post it.

I just pray we find Brooke.

Did you see the story about the 2 yr old boy who was kidnapped in Corvallis last night? Thank goodness he was found safe and sound, but I want to know what the HECK is going on over in that area. I am in Salem and it is too close to home and this is getting scary!!
Old 06-18-2004, 03:49 AM

Hi,

Just an interesting note here, as we are sleuthers all!

The other night when I posted about the 17 year old gal in Lebanon that was abducted and then released when he received an cell phone call that got him agitated. I was too tired to come way back over here and post this link I found, but it was simply amazing. Last night I went back to retreive it and bring it over and it was poof! gone.

In a news story about the 17 year old abduction, it told about a guy who walked into a bar to have a drink and was reading the paper. There was a sketch of the perp in the paper. The waitress or bartender got a bit nervous . He said, gee, I sure look like this guy. She said it was time for him to leave. He said he would like to finish reading the article first. She said OK. He finished reading it and then he left. As he drove off she tried to look at his license plate, and the only thing she could see was an S.

Freaky huh! Sounds like freaky tales to me, almost like in a move.

Well, evidently the police had this article pulled off the net as it is part of there investigation. One of those things that probably should never have been published in the first place, both investigations ongoing as they are!

Scandi
Old 06-18-2004, 12:01 PM

That IS very interesting Scandi!

So what does everyone think about the 2 yr old child that was abducted as well? Do you guys think they are at all linked? Does anyone think that the other girls that have been almost abducted are linked? What do you think of the panty thief?

I guess I am wondering if anyone has a "feeling" about this case.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:29 PM

Exclamation Brooke Wilberger

You were asking about what did we think about the 2 or 3 year old boy who was abducted just about 2 or 3 miles from where Brooke was abducted. I personally don't think they are connected. Just my opinion of course. The whole story of the little boy is secretive and kind of fishy. I think it may have been some older kids or teenagers who watched too much TV. If one can trust the newspaper, the boy was found by a woman early hours of the morning after he was taken. Did the woman call the police? No, she put the boy in her car and had him tell her the way to where he lived. I don't know very many 2 to 3 year old kids who could spend a night taken away from their parents and still have duct tape residue on them, and be able to show someone where they live when it was around and down and then another jog in the streets several blocks away. I don't buy it. I think the woman who found the boy may know more than they are letting on, or may even be involved.
I got a bit of a shocker when I read the article in the Corvallis Gazette-Times about the boy. You know how sometimes they take a picture of whatever is handy just to have a photograph. Well the newpaper picture about the boy showed MY old neighbor and MY old apartment group mailbox! Seems I lived next door to where this occured. The elderly woman ex-neighbor of mine said it was a good neighborhood. I think she is very naive. The apartment complex next to mine, the one the boy lived in, was worse than mine, and seemed to be run by slum-lords. There were racial problems, heavy drinking, theft, drugs like meth, assaults, managers who were afraid of their tenants so let them get away with stuff, parole & probation violations, atleast one parent threatening to kill her child. This I know from personal knowledge, not the newspapers. Of course there were decent people too. Doors were kicked in by police on several occasions on the not so decent people. One time that I witnessed they gave the person 45 minutes of repeated warnings that they were coming in. One of the officers said, "I mean it!" Sure! Plenty of time to dispose of drugs, comb your hair and put some ice on bruises, and make everything look calmer. I think if you warn someone 3 times that they have 5 minutes to come out or you are breaking down the door, that you should stick to your word and not coddle the people. Especially when there is young boy inside. Service to Children & Family told me that verbal abuse isn't considered abuse, and that the person probably didn't mean they were going to kill their child. Arrrrrrgh. Then they keep saying get involved, report abuse. Yeah right! I'll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited by IndigoFalls; 06-18-2004 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-19-2004, 10:34 AM

Now we have someone who tried to abduct a 16 yr old girl in Albany. For those of you who are not from around this area, Albany and Corvallis are neighboring cities. This is like the 3rd or 4th teen girl who has been almost abducted in the last week or so. It has happened in cities next to Corvallis. The one before this one the car description was a silver Honda. This car is said to be a blue pickup.

So it makes me wonder do we have more than one sicko running around? Same person different cars? Does any of this have anything to do with Brooke?

Man I hope they find this person or these people. Corvallis, Albany, and Lebanon were what I considered "safe" places to live.

Police seek man who tried to abduct girl

ALBANY — Albany police were looking for a man who reportedly tried to abduct a 16-year-old girl Friday as she walked near Heritage Mall, police said.

The girl told officers that she was walking about 10 a.m. on the 2300 block of 16th Avenue SE when a blue pickup pulled up beside her, Albany police Chief Joe Simon said.

The driver told the girl repeatedly to get into the pickup, but she refused, continued walking and eventually hid behind shrubs, Simon said. The driver finally gave up and drove away.

The driver was described as white, in his 30s or 40s, with an average build and short, dark brown hair.

The pickup was described as dark blue with a bluish interior, bucket seats and a toddler’s car seat, upholstered with swirling bright rainbow colors, in the passenger seat. Anyone with information should call (541) 917-7680.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 PM
who is Sharon Marshall?

yeah, all this stuff that's happening is really weird. i've lived in corvallis for almost a year now and have never seen anything like all these abductions. in houston, it was par for the course but around here things seem(ed) very, very safe.

it makes me wonder if there are actually more abduction attempts/creepy things going on around here or if they are just more visible now because of the highly publicized case of brooke. like maybe the press is more interested in these things because it's such a "hot" topic right now? for instance, i don't remember reading about the attempted abduction (before brooke) in the paper and a co-worker told me about how her daughter was followed around by a creepy man at a park (also before brooke disappeared) which was reported to police and we never heard anything about that (not even in the gazette-times' crime bulletin). weird.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:21 AM

Totally a bizzare situation in that Corvallis Albany Lebanon area. Three girls - all late teens, 2 got away 1 didn't. I'd look pretty closely at that, but I don't have any real particulars making up a MO to go by. The little boy isn't connected I don't think.

We know these things happen all of the time and we don't usually hear about them. Maybe the response to Brooke as spurned a more in depth reporting on these attacks.

The panty sicko from Tigard seems to be a sexual pervert or predator, and aren't these people usually not violent? The peek and follow people, but have to get their pleasure by pretending with a pair of panties, all cataloged and named. A pretty gutless wonder I think. I could be totally wrong though.

DOYLE, Great to see you here posting. Havn't had the pleasure to meet you, but always enjoy seeing our administrative and mod staff participating here. Good straightforward questions, hit 'em right between the eyes kind of approach. I like that in a sleuther.

Hi to Anna and Anngelique - I check back here all the time, you know to see if you have heard anything else new!

Scandi
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Authentic Southern Belle

Scared for Corvallis-area residents

Those of you in the Corvallis area...I'd be really, really careful and if you have daughters, watch them VERY closely. It sounds to me like there may be a serial abductor/killer on the loose. Brooke may have been his first victim...he got away with that, he may have become a lot bolder & may be using different vehicles, but I definitely think it's all connected.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Suspect's Computer Full Of Violence And Porn

After reading this article it makes me pray Brooke was not taken by Kim. If he did, it could be horrible!!!!

A disturbing picture is emerging of a Tigard man who is accused of stealing thousand of pairs of underwear from college dormitories and who was arrested today on theft and burglary charges.
Sung Koo Kim, 30, was arrested today following a court appearance in Yamhill County and is being held at the Multnomah County jail on $10,000,000 bail.

In a court affidavit, detectives outlined their case against Kim and described what they found when they searched his Tigard home.

Among the items found on his computer were 40,000 violent pictures of tortured, raped and mutilated women and 4,000 pornographic and violent videos.

Detectives also discovered videos of two women doing laundry at Concordia University.

The arrest comes just four days after Kim pleaded innocent to charges of stealing women's underwear on May 2 from a dorm room at Oregon State University in Corvallis.

In addition to suspected of being a panty thief, Kim is also a person of interest in the disappearance of 19-year-old Brooke Wilberger, who has been missing for several weeks.

However, despite the unusual items Kim had stored on his computer, he still remains only a person of interest in the missing woman's case.

Kim's arrest comes just four days after he pleaded innocent to charges of stealing women's underwear on May 2 from a dorm room at Oregon State University in Corvallis.

Kim is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday.

(From KATU & AP reports)

http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=68481
Old 06-21-2004, 10:58 PM

That is creepy and fascinating about Kim. I didn't know he was arrested again. Brooke Wilberger has pretty much disappeared from the news in the Corvallis Gazette-Times the last few days. I keep hoping they will get a break in the case. One paper quoted (I think it was Capt. Deutsch from CPD, but don't quote me) as not knowing why they went up to Tigard and searched the park near Kim's home last week. I just don't buy that. They must have had a reason why. They don't just go willy-nilly around the countryside deciding to search parks way away from where Brooke's abduction took place.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:05 PM

Lightbulb Consider Errors In the News

I have noticed a couple of errors in the newspaper and on television. Sometimes they say the attempted abduction suspect was wearing a sweatshirt with an "A" on it, but another report within 24 hours will show a sketch of the suspect, and clearly the man has an "A" on his cap, not his sweatshirt.

Another time, the news will say another abduction attempt with involving a certain vehicle was in Lebanon, when in fact that attempt was in Corvallis. Or they get the city right and mix up the suspect vehicle.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:25 PM

Question NEWSPERSON, please post again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsperson

It was very nice I thought and really exemplified how the community has pulled together in so many ways to bring Brooke home.

Yes, I live in the Albany/Corvallis area.

Best wishes.
I really enjoy your posts. They are thoughtful, reliable and interesting. Anything new on the police going through all the tips they got?
Old 06-21-2004, 11:30 PM

New Report from KATU about Kim and Porno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anngelique
After reading this article it makes me pray Brooke was not taken by Kim. If he did, it could be horrible!!!!

Kim is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday.

(From KATU & AP reports)

http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=68481
Has anyone charted the various attempted abductions and whether Kim was in or out of jail at the time? I am not saying he is guilty before a trial. I am just floating around ideas. He reminds me of that wicked Charles Ng guy who had a partner in crime.
Closed Thread