Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Retired WS Staff

Unhappy 2009.02.05 Update: Florida Clinic Threw Out Live Baby July 2006

The state attorney's homicide division is investigating, though no charges have been filed, a spokeswoman with the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office, said this week that prosecutors were nearing a decision.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,488644,00.html
Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 PM

I feel like I am gonna puke.

Unfreakin'believable

What is wrong with people?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
I feel like I am gonna puke.

Unfreakin'believable

What is wrong with people?
After reading this I've recommitted myself to pray for guidance. What should I personally be doing to change things. To do nothing...as I have been resigned to doing...is just unacceptable anymore.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes it's a Harley and no, you can't ride it!

Bond, I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for posting this. After the trials and tribulations of the Caylee case, and little missing Adji, and now missing Haleigh, I was praying I had finally seen the worst of atrocities perpetrated upon children. Now this. I'm struggling to decide which I think is the worst, and I cannot arrive at an answer.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm embracing your last comments. I've always thought I was doing an okay job, because my daughter grew up. Her son, my only grandson, is the absolute light of my life. My life has been blessed. Well, I now realize, that all these many years I've been selfish, and believe me, I never thought of myself that way.

It IS time to somehow strive for change. Nothing is not an option any longer.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 PM
"I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you"

I agree Bond .... I feel devestated for reading about this tragedy. I cannot imagine the nightmares this poor child will suffer from the rest of her life. Awful, just awful!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 PM

I honestly need to educate myself more about abortion laws in different states. I had no idea it was even legal to get an abortion at 23 weeks!! That seems really far along. I always thought it had to be done during the first trimester.

I am just shocked at reading this. Most abortion clinics do not condone this type of behavior. But I really wonder how many out there would do something similar??

I feel so sorry for the Mom in this case. She was totally betrayed by the doctor.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Patsy Ramsey to the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezryder9 View Post
Bond, I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for posting this. After the trials and tribulations of the Caylee case, and little missing Adji, and now missing Haleigh, I was praying I had finally seen the worst of atrocities perpetrated upon children. Now this. I'm struggling to decide which I think is the worst, and I cannot arrive at an answer.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm embracing your last comments. I've always thought I was doing an okay job, because my daughter grew up. Her son, my only grandson, is the absolute light of my life. My life has been blessed. Well, I now realize, that all these many years I've been selfish, and believe me, I never thought of myself that way.

There is Strength in Numbers......
Old 02-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
I honestly need to educate myself more about abortion laws in different states. I had no idea it was even legal to get an abortion at 23 weeks!! That seems really far along. I always thought it had to be done during the first trimester.

I am just shocked at reading this. Most abortion clinics do not condone this type of behavior. But I really wonder how many out there would do something similar??

I feel so sorry for the Mom in this case. She was totally betrayed by the doctor.
Some, but not all, states have laws that allow later term abortions to be performed. FL is one such state. 23 weeks is far along, but it is still very rare - the chance of a 23 week fetus living is slim, though not unprecedented.

I would like to know more details. Did they think the child was dead or dying and end its life out of mercy? That is still illegal, but it is another scenario to consider.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:

Very eloquently written, Ezryder. This kinda hits me the same way.

I have been blessed more than my share with an incredible little girl of my own. Not that there aren't daily struggles, but, its like seeing one of those stories about someone that overcomes adversity or fights illness/handicap on a daily basis, and you re-examine your own life and start thinking...man...I'm operating soooo below my potential...

I dunno where its gonna lead, but, I hafta start praying about it...that'll help me figure out how/where to focus.

I have at least one family member (that I know of) that has been through this and I have a clear picture in my heart that the whole us vs. them confrontation approach that paints people on the opposide side of the issue as evil just creates a standoff. There has to be a better approach...maybe more like the 'starfish' kinda thing... Demonizing expectant mothers seems 180degrees to a way forward IMHO. I was suprised to learn about Safe Haven laws a few years ago and wondered why they weren't more prevalently 'advertised'. I dunno if the statistics support that they have an effect. I'm curious.

ETA: Caylee drew me into this...and I kinda knew in my heart that...beyond being entranced by her case...the lesson is that there are soooooooooooooooooo many other children suffering every day...born & unborn, that need help. The answer to the "So. What are you going to DO about it?" question has been haunting me for months now.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Bond, you are spot on!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
Some, but not all, states have laws that allow later term abortions to be performed. FL is one such state. 23 weeks is far along, but it is still very rare - the chance of a 23 week fetus living is slim, though not unprecedented.

I would like to know more details. Did they think the child was dead or dying and end its life out of mercy? That is still illegal, but it is another scenario to consider.
...thanks for the clarification, SCM.

I kinda start from the premise that we're human, we all do things that we regret later, and it is easy to judge & jump to conclusions when you (a) don't have a personal stake in the situation, and (b) don't understand the details, etc.

I'm not tryin' to judge the people involved in the case. I just have an overwhelming feeling of sorrow in my heart for the whole situation. Given the chance to have it come out differently, I think everyone involved would want to rewind and get a 'do over'...and of course there are plenty of vantage points from which to pick the best 'do over' point(s). If by some sort of Charles-Dickens'-Christmas-Carol-Ghost-of-Chistmas-Future way the mother could have seen how it was all going to turn out...well...perhaps that would've helped her. I dunno...
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondJamesBond View Post
Very eloquently written, Ezryder. This kinda hits me the same way.

I have been blessed more than my share with an incredible little girl of my own. Not that there aren't daily struggles, but, its like seeing one of those stories about someone that overcomes adversity or fights illness/handicap on a daily basis, and you re-examine your own life and start thinking...man...I'm operating soooo below my potential...

I dunno where its gonna lead, but, I hafta start praying about it...that'll help me figure out how/where to focus.

I have at least one family member (that I know of) that has been through this and I have a clear picture in my heart that the whole us vs. them confrontation approach that paints people on the opposide side of the issue as evil just creates a standoff. There has to be a better approach...maybe more like the 'starfish' kinda thing... Demonizing expectant mothers seems 180degrees to a way forward IMHO.

ETA: Caylee drew me into this...and I kinda knew in my heart that...beyond being entranced by her case...the lesson is that there are soooooooooooooooooo many other children suffering every day...born & unborn, that need help. The answer to the "So. What are you going to DO about it?" question has been haunting me for months now.
In the grand scheme of things, the death of little Caylee is already beginning to show the good things that come out of bad. So many of us were drawn to WS because of that one case, for whatever reason we each came, and we all had to know even last summer that there were many, many more children deserving of publicity, and thoughts, and prayers, and help. Why did we not wrap our hearts around each and every one of them? I don't know. System overload? Probably. I know how much sleep I've lost; how many tears I've shed, just over Caylee. I don't know how I can emotionally handle all the others, but I promise, I'm going to try. I'm going to pray, like you, for guidance on how I can make a difference. If our efforts result in helping, or saving, or finding, just one child, what a wonderful blessing that would be!

I've got to admit that, before Caylee, I did not know of TES. (I'm into honesty now, however much it might pain me.) I guess I was firmly entrenched in my happy bubble. But when I first heard of TES, my first thought was, "How can this man do this day in and day out?" Well, now I know. Or at least know part of it. As convinced as I am that we can unite to make a difference, my desire is, fortunately, not based on personal experience.

I'm rambling; I'm sorry. But you've kinda brought up something that has been tugging at my heart, too.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, the death of little Caylee is already beginning to show the good things that come out of bad. So many of us were drawn to WS because of that one case, for whatever reason we each came, and we all had to know even last summer that there were many, many more children deserving of publicity, and thoughts, and prayers, and help. Why did we not wrap our hearts around each and every one of them? I don't know. System overload? Probably. I know how much sleep I've lost; how many tears I've shed, just over Caylee. I don't know how I can emotionally handle all the others, but I promise, I'm going to try. I'm going to pray, like you, for guidance on how I can make a difference. If our efforts result in helping, or saving, or finding, just one child, what a wonderful blessing that would be!

I've got to admit that, before Caylee, I did not know of TES. (I'm into honesty now, however much it might pain me.) I guess I was firmly entrenched in my happy bubble. But when I first heard of TES, my first thought was, "How can this man do this day in and day out?" Well, now I know. Or at least know part of it. As convinced as I am that we can unite to make a difference, my desire is, fortunately, not based on personal experience.

I'm rambling; I'm sorry. But you've kinda brought up something that has been tugging at my heart, too.
I suspect we're not alone, Ez.

What's the saying...."The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Something like that?

Perhaps there's a chance for us to inspire each other somehow The whole 12-step dynamic of "I did X today" and it in some small way it made a difference kinda thread. A little encouragement...sprinkled in with reading what other people do for ideas... Maybe this already exists somewhere in the Forum
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondJamesBond View Post
I suspect we're not alone, Ez.

What's the saying...."The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Something like that?

Perhaps there's a chance for us to inspire each other somehow The whole 12-step dynamic of "I did X today" and it in some small way it made a difference kinda thread. A little encouragement...sprinkled in with reading what other people do for ideas... Maybe this already exists somewhere in the Forum
ITA. And I'm thinking the first step is starting a thread, just like you said. I'm not smart enough to search all that stuff out. But I think that's a wonderful idea, and I suspect we are NOT alone!

Just in case we are -------> she holds her hand out to Bond <-----------
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:

Just in case we are -------> she holds her hand out to Bond <-----------
*snip*
Well...it IS the Valentine season...

Shaken...not stirred...?

Oh, the things I do for king & country.