Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Archived Cases - Appeals, Books and Updates > Amber Dubois

Notices

Amber Dubois CA- 14 yo student found murdered

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brains & NoBull View Post
I hope that this tip will get LE closer to finding Amber. By all accounts, she seems like she is a very responsible and likable kid. I am happy to see that her disappearance is finally getting more coverage.
My thoughts exactly- its so sad and scary to hear about this happening to what seems like a responsible and well-behaved kid. Whoever knows anything needs to come forward ASAP
Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM

The word around town here is that LE is really stumped on this one. They don't think she ran away and just don't have any good leads. They have still been searching, and are often near a friend of mine's house. They use her facilities and chat with her a bit.
It is such a mystery and so sad.

Last edited by RElady; 03-02-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: remove a word
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElady View Post
The word around town here is that LE is really stumped on this one. They don't think she ran away and just don't have any good leads. They have still been searching, and are often near a friend of mine's house. They use her facilities and chat with her a bit.
It IS sad....and in the meantime this poor girl is out there somewhere needing someone to find her...
and all the things we didn't say...
I wonder if you misunderstood,
cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
to make you stay.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Karma - The Great Equalizer

Quote:
Are they concentrating on one specific area? That seems odd if they have nothing to go on. I hope they're speaking to her friends - a lot. That phone call to the guy who said he didn't know her just doesn't sit right with me.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

They seem to be hanging out in a neighborhood near the high school.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
They seem to be hanging out in a neighborhood near the high school.
Are they there right now?
and all the things we didn't say...
I wonder if you misunderstood,
cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
to make you stay.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM

No, not that I am aware of. They just had been scouring the neighborhood, flying over with helicopters a lot, etc. Nothing new is happening at this time. They are warning people to be cautious and to keep their eyes open.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do you know if the story that came out at the beginning that there was a van headed for the Mexico border has been discarded or investigated? Is anyone talking about that angle down there?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Any news? Anything come up during the helicopter searches?

Also, do we know if she had a myspace or facebook? There has to be a trace of her somewhere! Its so frustrating- I can't imagine what the people on the ground feel like.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Double the blessings, double the fun!

I don't know how there can't be one solid lead in this case. There seem to be so many tips, but none of them considered leads? It's so frustrating- I can't imagine what they are going through.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 PM

I used to live in Escondido and am now about an hour or so away, on the border. I will get the poster out down here. Praying for Amber.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
Escondido Police Need Help Locating Suspicious Man
Police: Too Early To Know If Connected To Dubois Dissappearance

Police asked for the public's help in finding a 20-something man who has been offering rides to girls walking home from school in the Oakhill area.

Three girls reported that a man in a small white compact offered them a ride home, said Escondido police Lt. Bob Benton.

In each case, the man approached the girls just after 3 p.m., he said.

It is too early to know if these incidents are connected to the disappearance the Amber Dubois, Escondido police said. Amber, 14, was last seen walking to Escondido High School more than two weeks ago.

One girl was in the 1400 block of Oakhill Street, and another was at Boyle and Rose Street, he said. The other location was unavailable.

When the girls declined a ride, the man drove off, Benton said.

The may be a Honda or Toyota, he said. The partial license plate is"5W00" or "5WWM," Benton said.

The man was described as a white man in his early 20s, with eye glasses and short dark hair, Benton said.

http://www.10news.com/news/18817934/detail.html
Also, WHOA...I used to live in that exact area.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

JMO, but with that beautiful red hair, who ever has her, by now has colored it. I dont think we should be looking for someone that looks exactly like that picture. By now she probably looks like h....

Has the white car been seen again? I dont think she got in that car. jmo.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM

I saw this video this morning. Gives a good visual.
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9939230
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 AM
KlaasKIDS Foundation Search Director

Sleuthers,

Need your help in spreading the word about Amber's case. She has been missing now for 18 days and as many of you have suggested....doesn't seem like a runaway. We have just arrived in Escondido to assist her family in her search. Marc will be here tomorrow to help her parents. We are gearing up for a search for this weekend. Please do your best to pass the word about Amber and please keep her and her parents in your prayers.

I will do my best over the next few days to keep you up-to-date with whats going on here. Thanks.

Brad
Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 AM

Good luck to all of the searchers. I'd help if I could...maybe I'll be able to head up that way one of these days. The terrain around Escondido is rough, heavily wooded canyons and hills. Good luck, bless you all.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Bob Harrod, Missing from Placentia, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaaskids Searcher View Post
Sleuthers,

Need your help in spreading the word about Amber's case. She has been missing now for 18 days and as many of you have suggested....doesn't seem like a runaway. We have just arrived in Escondido to assist her family in her search. Marc will be here tomorrow to help her parents. We are gearing up for a search for this weekend. Please do your best to pass the word about Amber and please keep her and her parents in your prayers.

I will do my best over the next few days to keep you up-to-date with whats going on here. Thanks.

Brad
Thank you for the update.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM

Byomoi, thanks for link. Visual is good. Read the new comment posted on Mar 4th under the article.

This is just so sad. I agree with comment posted under article that it sounds like she may have been hurrying to get to the livestock farmyard and see the lambs before the first bell (which is 7:30AM). Video says she was seen by two different parents in two different cars. One parent/witness says she was there a little earlier than usual (~7:10AM), kind of jogging/hurrying on west side of street (N. Broadway) near the driveway that leads past a school bus maintenance yard and down to the farmyard. Mentions surveillance cameras monitoring the farmyard (tape is grainy) but not the school bus maintenance yard. Another lead mentioned in article is Amber may have been walking with an unidentified male student about six feet tall with a dark complexion. (How would they know if it was a student or not if unidentified?)

I circled the area in attached map that I think is where the school bus maintenance yard and farmyard are (based on video; between fields) with a blue arrow showing approximately where Amber was seen walking by the parent. Actual school buildings are slightly south of red circle. Snapshot from video also included.

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=escondido+high+school&fb=1&split=1& gl=us&cid=0,0,6180928064580347557&ei=7OmtScWpA5O8M _iZ0N8E&ll=33.147595,-117.090161&spn=0.008246,0.027101&t=h&z=16
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map.jpg (58.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 AM

http://www.escondido.org/police/forms/tips/form.html
Escondido, Ca online anonymous tip line.

Thanks so much for the news article and the google map.

As for the video, I think the FBI has a way to enhance videos. Hopefully,
they are doing this.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudajo View Post
[font=VerdanaFONT]

This is just so sad. I agree with comment posted under article that it sounds like she may have been hurrying to get to the livestock farmyard and see the lambs before the first bell (which is 7:30AM). Video says she was seen by two different parents in two different cars. One parent/witness says she was there a little earlier than usual (~7:10AM), kind of jogging/hurrying on west side of street (N. Broadway) near the driveway that leads past a school bus maintenance yard and down to the farmyard. Mentions surveillance cameras monitoring the farmyard (tape is grainy) but not the school bus maintenance yard. Another lead mentioned in article is Amber may have been walking with an unidentified male student about six feet tall with a dark complexion. (How would they know if it was a student or not if unidentified?)

I circled the area in attached map that I think is where the school bus maintenance yard and farmyard are (based on video; between fields) with a blue arrow showing approximately where Amber was seen walking by the parent. Actual school buildings are slightly south of red circle. Snapshot from video also included.
I hope they have checked into all the male students that were marked absent in the morning and any caretakers of that farm yard.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Maybe he was wearing a backpack.. or clothing with the school's name on it???
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Re the suggestions that this might have been a nasty prank... is there any chance that this could have started out as some sort of hate crime?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM

$60,000 reward offered in Dubois disappearance
Tip line: Anyone with information about Amber Dubois is asked to call (760) 743-TIPS (8477)
By J Harry Jones; Union-Tribune Staff Writer; 6:43 p.m. March 4, 2009

ESCONDIDO – Reward money totaling $60,000 is being offered for information regarding missing Escondido teenager Amber Dubois, nationally known missing children advocate Marc Klaas announced Wednesday.

Meanwhile, police and Sheriff's Department Search & Rescue team members searched rugged terrain in northern Escondido Tuesday evening and Wednesday for any sign of the 14-year-old girl who disappeared while walking to Escondido High School the morning of Feb. 13.

The reward is split into two segments. Fifty thousand dollars is offered for information leading to the girl's safe return while $10,000 is offered for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.

“(The family) want to get Amber home alive, therefore the majority of money has been allocated to that end,” Klaas said at a news conference outside Escondido High School Wednesday. “But they also understand that there might be darker scenarios and that that might not be possible.”

The reward money has been donated by individuals and businesses who prefer to remain anonymous, Klaas said.

[snipped]

Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter said the department has received about 80 tips and each is being investigated.

About 50 people participated in the latest search after local teens told police about an area in northern Escondido known as “the caves” where youths sometimes go. Search coordinator Don Parker said nothing useful was found.

At the news conference, Maurice Dubois, Amber's father, was asked if he had any message. “Amber, if you're hearing this just know that your family loves you, and we can't wait to have you back in our arms,” Dubois said. “We miss you immensely and we will do everything we possible can to have you home as soon as we possibly can.

“And if you're out there and you know anything regarding this, please help us get our daughter back.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/04/n98618184323/

See attached for reference map.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map2.jpg (72.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM

KUSI News Mar 4th Video: http://www.kusi.com/news/local/40758827.html?video=YHI&t=a
Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Interesting that Amber’s phone was turned on briefly the next afternoon and someone tried unsuccessfully to access the voicemail, then shut the phone off again. Can the phone company tell if an incorrect password was entered then? If you innocently “found” a phone, would you try to access the voicemail? Thoughts on that?

================

[snipped]
He and Amber's father said the girl sent several text messages to her grandmother and one to a friend before going to school Feb. 13. They said the messages did not provide information about her whereabouts or seem suspicious.

The girl's cell phone was shut off shortly after the messages were sent, Garcia added, noting police relayed information about the phone to the family. The phone was turned back on once on Saturday afternoon when someone tried unsuccessfully to access the phone's voicemail and then shut off again shortly after, they said, adding no further readings from the phone have been retrieved.

Garcia said the phone was not on long enough for authorities to determine specifically where it was. Escondido police were not available to comment on the matter.

http://www.northcountytimes.com/arti...62006f20aa.txt

Her cell phone was turned on once for about 20 seconds the day after she disappeared and has not been turned on since then, Escondido Police spokesman Lt. Bob Benton said.
Closed Thread