Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located Forum Discussion

Notices

Located Forum Discussion Discussion for those who were missing and are now located

Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Happy 2011!

GA - Brett Thomason, 19, Whitfield County, 19 Feb 2009

http://www.wdef.com/news/whitfield_c...boater/02/2009

20 Feb 09

Whitfield County Rescue workers and volunteers search the Conasauga River and its banks for missing boater Brett Thomason.

The 19-year-old disappeared Thursday night during a boating trip with friends.

Brett's Mom Dana Massey says when they couldn't find him, they called the authorities.

more at link

no pic at link
Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 AM

No luck in search for teen

Hopes were high Sunday morning as approximately 250 public safety officials and community volunteers set out searching for Brett Thomason.

But as rescue crews came back after several hours in the cold without any signs of Thomason, the ground search was suspended by Whitfield County Emergency Services, said Jeffrey Putnam, the agency’s director. A recovery mission will begin this morning if no evidence of Thomason is found after a search of a 40-acre parcel by law enforcement officials that crews didn’t reach Sunday, Putnam said.

http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/lo...054001703.html
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Search Continues For Missing Teen Boater

-- The search continued Monday for a Whitfield County boater who has been missing since Thursday.

Police said 19-year-old Brett Thomason disappeared on the Conasauga River area.

About 2,000 volunteers spent the weekend looking for the man. Whitfield County Sheriff Scott Chitwood said they will continue the search for Thomason Monday until dark. Officials are searching surrounding land and water.
Thomason’s boat and camouflage jacket were found Friday. Officials said they found a speck of blood in the woods Saturday and Thomason’s face mask on the ground. The blood is being sent off for testing.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18775199/detail.html#-
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 AM

Update on Search for Missing Whitfield County Teen

The Whitfield County Sheriff says one of the last people to see missing teen boater Brett Thomason has been given a lie detector test.

In a Wednesday morning news conference, Sheriff Scott Chitwood said the test had been given to the 15 year old boy but Sheriff Chitwood did not reveal the results. A 16 year old girl who was also with them has not been given a polygraph test. Under Eyewitness News policy, juveniles are not identified unless they have been criminally charged with a felony crime.

Nineteen year old Brett Thomason disappeared Thursday night during what was reportedly a boat trip on the Consauga River on the Murray County line. Thomason supposedly let the two teens out of the boat and went further down the river but was never seen again.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/global/story.asp?S=9877142
Old 02-28-2009, 05:13 PM

This is very, very close to my home. The family and friends are still searching every day, but the authorities have all but abandoned the search effort. Some people got the story out that this young man was nervous about his impending enlistment in the Marines, and that he might have run away. The family believes this is highly unlikely. He left his truck, cell phone, cash, and debit card behind. Now some of his clothes have been found. The family has made many pleas for him on the news, and they just can't believe he ran off.

They really just want to know the truth.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Locals still searching for missing Whitfield boy

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...ategoryID=3388

Brett Thomason has been missing since Feb. 19.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM

This case is interesting. If clothing stayed in the boat, why didnt he? If it had capsized or tipped Im sure w/e was on the boat wouldnt have fallen into the water. Just curious, how rough is the water where they were at? If at all? That there is no body is strange as well?
The Following User Says Thank You to glitterghost For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
The fork is mightier than the spoon.

Has anyone talked to the recruiter? Maybe he wanted out and they threatened him with jail or something so he got scared and ran...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)

This is a strange case. I hope for the family He just got cold feet about inlisting.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM

SOMEone has logged into his myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=430066225
Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
There sure are a lot of nuts in the Ant Family Tree. Must attract a BUNCH of squirrels.

Yeah and his location shows DALTON, Hawaii????? That's odd.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Wink

I dont believe there is a Dalton, Hawaii. I even searched and nothing. Social networking site "spaces" are loaded with inside jokes and the like. It probably means something to him and a friend or something. A lot of kids say 'Bahamas" and stuff for their location and its totally NOT.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Umm...and were the kids using oars in the boat (i assuming so but ?) and if so, were the oars found inside the boat?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM

Mother: Rumors about missing son ‘not true’

Despite rumors that he has been found, the search will continue for missing boater Brett Thomason around the Conasauga River in southern Whitfield County, his mother says.

Dana Massey, Thomason’s mother, said she continues to hear rumors her son has been found and is alive and well.

“A TV station called me (Tuesday) and asked me how I felt since my son had been found,” she said. “I just want the public to know the rumors that he has been found are not true, and to let everyone know we’re still looking for him.”

Massey said a community search will be held this Saturday, weather permitting, beginning at noon at Riverbend Baptist Church on Riverbend Road.

http://www.northwestgeorgia.com/loca...077192511.html
Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Expecting the Unexpected

One technical thing - I live near that area. Whitfield County is in North Georgia, not Tennessee, although the Conasauga River crosses the border between the states.

The Facebook thing about "Dalton, Hawaii" is a joke.

Dalton, Georgia, is a mid-size town in Whitfield Country.

It doesn't sound to me as if he ran away, but he probably drowned.

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain
Old 03-21-2009, 06:05 PM

I live in Chattanooga-unfortunately it looks like they have located Brett's body....

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10047772

The story states they have not positively identified the body but WRBC just reported that the clothing on the body matches the description of what Brett was wearing when last seen...

Very sad

S
Old 03-21-2009, 06:23 PM

I just heard this,sadly it was his father that found the body. Prayers for the family.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
The fork is mightier than the spoon.

RIP Brett
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Mother suspects foul play, no evidence to suggest it, sheriff’s office says

She now knows her son is dead, but Dana Massey can’t shake the feeling that his death wasn’t an accident.

The body found in the Conasauga River on Saturday has been positively identified as that of 19-year-old Brett Thomason, a 2008 graduate of Southeast High School who had been missing since he and two friends took a boating trip on Feb. 19, authorities said.

http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/lo...082200039.html
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19003252/detail.html

DALTON, Ga. -- The father of a missing teenager found his son's body in the Conasauga River, according to officials.

The body was identified as 19-year-old Brett Thomason by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, John Bankhead, GBI spokesman, confirmed to Channel 2 Action News.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:21 PM

Thomason drinking before drowning

Dana Massey said her son was a “good kid” who was doing a lot of things right, but one mistake cost him his life.
A toxicology report from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation state crime lab found that 19-year-old Brett Thomason — found drowned in the Conasauga River March 21 — had a blood alcohol level of .133, above the legal limit of .10 for operating a boat.
“I’m not a toxicologist, but it would be my understanding that (the reading) would be on the low end since he was in the water so long,” said Jerry Scott, GBI special agent in charge at the Calhoun office.
A medical examiner at the state crime lab in Atlanta did not immediately return a phone call Friday afternoon. Whitfield County Coroner Bobbie Dixon said the report came back “negative on drugs,” that the cause of death was drowning and the manner of death was “undetermined.”

More at link:
http://www.northwestgeorgia.com/loca...yword=topstory